TESTERS WANTED! ×

Benefits of wide body blade putters?

Scooby456

I think a lot of the "blades" with wider bodies are hollow players distance (i500, Forged Tec) or game improvement irons with some sort of "goo" injected into the head, so a fully enclosed package (hehe) is necessary.

But as far as true single piece blades with a wider body, what's an example iron you're thinking of? I'd be curious to learn more about them too.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I think a lot of the "blades" with wider bodies are hollow players distance (i500, Forged Tec) or game improvement irons with some sort of "goo" injected into the head, so a fully enclosed package (hehe) is necessary.
But as far as true single piece blades with a wider body, what's an example iron you're thinking of? I'd be curious to learn more about them too.

He was asking about putters not irons

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Some putter manufacturers even consider the wide-bodied blade putter to be a mallet. Wide-bodied blades were in some of the top spots on the MGS blade test this year: ER2, Squareback, etc.

https://mygolfspy.com/best-blade-putters-for-2020/

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Can anyone speak to the benefits or thought behind the wide body blade design? I am assuming it's to create more stability, similar to when you get into mallets but couldn't really find any definitive discussions on that design. 

Different shape to give a specific look to players that want something in the mid mallet category. They allow for more
Weight without having to go longer and even allow for shorter heel to toe measurements. It also allows for different weight distributions to impact rotation. I am not convinced heavier and/or mallets provide more “stability”; whatever that means.

Find the putter(s) that lets you start the ball online and control speed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There may be a little boost to MOI and the COG may be pulled down a little. However, it's mostly aesthetic preference. Mid mallets offer much improved alignment as most have a longer alignment aide and they edges are generally square to help with alignment as well. Putter performance and forgiveness, regardless of design type (blade, mallet, etc) is going to be largely dictated by how large/long the head is and how much weighting is pulled to the perimeter. You might have short mid mallet head that has less MOI than other blades on the market. If you want a more stable putter, I would recommend looking for higher MOI designs and see if there are any you like. Mid mallets can offer a lot of forgiveness but not all are equal. Generally speaking, your more stable designs will have a longer blade length with more perimeter weighting. However, blade and mid mallet putters with tungsten perimeter weighting (rather rare) can have a higher MOI with a shorter blade length.

There are a million putter designs out there. If you don't consistently strike the middle of a putter face, going for a higher MOI design can help. However, you have feel comfortable with the look of the putter and make sure it fits right or you will just be fighting it the whole time. 

In theory, its to increase the MOI and make the putter more forgiving.  Im sure there is a mental aspect to it as well.  A wider head inspires confience and makes you feel like you cant miss.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Thanks all for the input. I’ve been tinkering with some of the mid-mallets, especially the wingback designs as they feel smoother to take away for me; occasionally I fight my current putter (Ping iN ZB2) going outside the line on the backstroke which as you can imagine leads to some poor putts. 

The question was motivated by the upcoming Mizuno release which had the wide body blade style (I think the IV). I really enjoy the feel of the II but have found better consistency on my takeaway with the wingback models so I’m hoping that one will be the right package that can get me on line, with the right speed, and a touch of good looks in the bag

Swing away!

15 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

In theory, its to increase the MOI and make the putter more forgiving.  Im sure there is a mental aspect to it as well.  A wider head inspires confience and makes you feel like you cant miss.

Can't really add anything other than "what you said."  🙂

<tip cap>

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 12/11/2020 at 2:37 PM, Kansas King said:

Mid mallets offer much improved alignment as most have a longer alignment aide and they edges are generally square to help with alignment as well.

I'd just preface that with "For some."  Putters are super personal.  For me, anything wider than a mid-blade starts to throw off my aim and performance.  I've tried and wanted to love many mid-mallets/mallets from the 2-ball to spiders and smaller mid-mallets like those with fangs.  Long alignment aids don't work for me.  You even see some of the guys on tour using Spider putters that are all one color with no aid.

The two putters I've had most success with are a Scotty Cameron Newport Select, the one with more rounded bumpers and no alignment aid, and the Evnroll ER2B, which also features more rounded bumpers and softer edges with one alignment aid that is about as long as a ball.  This seems to be just enough for me to aid in setup but not be a distraction during the stroke.

Back to the OP's questions, besides just having more variety and fitting options, I've always felt that in the same series of putters, the blade and mid-blade feel better to me than even the smaller half-moon mallets.  But that's just me, plenty will like the feel more from the mallets.

As always YMMV.  Go to a store and roll some around!  They may work for you or not.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8