Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Knee Brace

Bluesman57

Can anyone recommend a knee brace for an ancient golfer?  A long, long time ago, in the mid-1970s, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I tore some cartilage in my right knee playing HS football.  Every Friday morning, I'd go to a doctor, who was also the team trainer, and get jabbed with a long needle into the knee joint: immediate cold, then the fantastic feeling of no pain whatsoever.  I learned 20 years later, when I saw a real orthopedist, that the doctor was most likely injecting Lidocaine and a steroid, which certainly allowed me to play on Friday nights.  Walking Hobbling to watch films the next morning, not so much.

Anyway, I had the mess cleared up surgically, and things are mostly OK.  But when I over use the knee, it swells up again, making walking, not to mention swinging a golf club, quite painful.  I'm now close to 64 years old, and came back this year from a 15 year layoff from golf.  I have taken some lessons, and have been working with my instructor to stop my early extension issues, and have finally found something that clicks for me--focusing on right side bend.  I've been given some drills to do, which I work on religiously.  Unfortunately, swinging the club the correct way really works the right (back) knee; maybe that is why I have subconsciously avoided it all of my golfing life.

I'm looking for a knee brace or some type of support for when these flareups occur that will minimize the pain without compromising my swing.  So, the short version of this rather verbose post: can anyone recommend something like that for me?  I see that we have some professionals from the medical field here, including physical therapists, and I would certainly respect their opinions, as well as those from folks in my situation who have found something that works for them. 

Thank you all!

Dave

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

I tore my meniscus a few years ago - happened on the 7th tee box - I’ll never forget.....  anyway, after trying several compression sleeves I have settled on this one for golf

https://www.amazon.com/Snapmade-Knee-Brace-Compression-Sleeve/dp/B07JMBY7X9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Snapmade&qid=1607789585&sr=8-1

It has some compression, but I got it for the protection against over rotating across my knee and all the torque I put on it. Those little plastic pieces on the side help keep my knee straight.  For me, I wear this on my left, forward, knee.  So while it’s exactly what I need to guard against rotation I don’t know if it would be what you are looking for.

For yoga class or the elliptical machine I use this simple compression sleeve.  Nice and tight, stays in place, and makes everything feel stable  

https://www.amazon.com/Compression-Basketball-Weightlifting-Arthritis-Breathable/dp/B0759X1RTM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Good luck.  Knee problems are no fun  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Dave,
The brace wafflehousetour suggested is pretty good.
I have a bone-on-bone in right knee and I use many different types braces. When C19 is gone going to get it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

20 hours ago, Bluesman57 said:

Can anyone recommend a knee brace for an ancient golfer?  A long, long time ago, in the mid-1970s, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I tore some cartilage in my right knee playing HS football.  Every Friday morning, I'd go to a doctor, who was also the team trainer, and get jabbed with a long needle into the knee joint: immediate cold, then the fantastic feeling of no pain whatsoever.  I learned 20 years later, when I saw a real orthopedist, that the doctor was most likely injecting Lidocaine and a steroid, which certainly allowed me to play on Friday nights.  Walking Hobbling to watch films the next morning, not so much.

Anyway, I had the mess cleared up surgically, and things are mostly OK.  But when I over use the knee, it swells up again, making walking, not to mention swinging a golf club, quite painful.  I'm now close to 64 years old, and came back this year from a 15 year layoff from golf.  I have taken some lessons, and have been working with my instructor to stop my early extension issues, and have finally found something that clicks for me--focusing on right side bend.  I've been given some drills to do, which I work on religiously.  Unfortunately, swinging the club the correct way really works the right (back) knee; maybe that is why I have subconsciously avoided it all of my golfing life.

I'm looking for a knee brace or some type of support for when these flareups occur that will minimize the pain without compromising my swing.  So, the short version of this rather verbose post: can anyone recommend something like that for me?  I see that we have some professionals from the medical field here, including physical therapists, and I would certainly respect their opinions, as well as those from folks in my situation who have found something that works for them. 

Thank you all!

Dave

I know you said knee brace and what I use (not for golf) because it's too bulky, but for a brace you can't beat this:

Amazon.com: Bauerfeind - GenuTrain S - Knee Support - Extra Stability to Keep The Knee in Proper Position - Left Knee - Size 5 - Color Titanium: Beauty

If you want a sleeve, and something more mobile:

Amazon.com: Bauerfeind Sports Knee Support - Knee Brace for Athletes with Medical Grade Compression - Stabilization and Patellar Knee Pad (Rivera, XL): Sports & Outdoors

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

I wore a knee brace on my left knee for years before having knee replacement.  My strong recommendation is get one fitted at the orthopedist.  Over the counter braces just don't work nearly as well or fit properly.  For cartilage issues, which I had too, the custom braces can alleviate knee pressure.  Played good golf with it on too. 

a. Iron specs: Mizuno MP-33, Dynamic Gold R300, 2* upright, standard length

b. Ping G, 10.5*, standard length, regular Alta shaft

c. Dexterity: right-handed

d. Alabama USA

e. 7 handicap

• 2 months later...

Thank God for Amazon, you can get anything there now! I injured my knee during the lockdown, and only walking was still a problem for me. I needed a better knee brace that will keep my knee safe. The regular ones are useless, and info from CleverWander helped me get the right one. I ordered Winzone Knee Support for $29.95, and it was a great decision. It helped me walk and recover from my injury. I had to wait for it a while because it was slower delivery due to COVID-19. I didn't mind the slow delivery as there was nothing to do for me. Knee braces help a lot!

Edited by ThomasArnold

• 1 month later...

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Mava-Sports-Reflexology-Circulation-Compression/dp/B07419QLGD/ref=sr_1_50?crid=3QYHQMCLBD16K&dchild=1&keywords=compression+knee+sleeve+men&qid=1618861815&sprefix=compression+knee+%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-50

I am a few years older and canceled TNR (right knee, osteo-arthritis, bone on bone) last year. These help me walk 9 3 to 5 times per week. Simple and easy to keep clean, good compression. 

:ping-small: G425 Max D 44" set to 13*

:ping-small: G430 SFT HL  5W set to 20.5*

:ping-small: G430 HL 5 Hybrid set to 27.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL HALO Full Face 9I 38*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 ZipCore Full Face 54*

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11S 34"

:ping-small: Hoofer Craz-E Lite

Try KT Tape; available at Walmart.  Worked very well before my TKR.  I sometimes use it on my other knee when I overdo it.  It will stay on for nearly a week, even showering every day.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 6 months later...

So sorry you broke your cartilage. Glad everything’s fine now. Very often pain can persist even after surgery. I say this with certainty because I underwent knee surgery and remember all too well how my knees felt afterward. About two months after the operation, unbearable pain began to appear. The doctor recommended that I order some quality knee pads to reduce the sensation. After a lot of research, I ordered from a site. NGL, I’m delighted so far, the pads really helped. You can try getting a pair from the same place, at the very least you got my recommendation :).

Edited by liliansh

I keep a knee brace in my bag plus I usually wear an ankle brace on my left ankle as I have overstretched ligaments.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder