TESTERS WANTED! ×

Moon Woods (MW8) - Any opinions? - *UPDATE*

vamosjackets

My wife is a good athlete (former college basketball player) with a pretty decent swing (and a lefty).  I'm trying to get her some clubs she can be successful with that are also on a budget.  She likes woods wayyy better than irons.  After looking at LOT of different options (hybrids, irons-woods, etc) and experimenting with her, I feel like doing actual higher lofted fairway woods is what she's going to do the best with at least as far down the set as possible (she likes the extra length of the woods versus irons).  I came across a good deal on a set of 4 "Moon Woods" (MW8) on ebay (went from 21* up to 33*).  I'd never heard of them, so I looked them up - they seem like they may be legit and could be just the right option for her:  https://www.moonwoodgolf.com/  

Has anyone here had any meaningful experiences with these you could share?  Thanks.

(For update, see post # 5)

•  
Edited by vamosjackets
Update

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

Oddly enough, my dad bought some of these and has been using them.  I'll give him a ring and see what he thinks of them.  I want to say he's had a few rounds with them since purchasing.

I'll preface that with saying my dad may have been a good athlete in a past life, but age and injury have caught up with him.  a long drive is probably 150 yards for him now, so he's move to basically a fully hybrid/wood set now.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Here is the summary notes from my dad... we shall call him Jim the Golfer:

"Scale of 1 to 10 - 7ish.  They took a while to learn how to hit them.  They're better for a senior golfer or a high-capper like myself."

Might be worth a try, has she considered any of the other hybrid style sets?  Or maybe even a single-length set?  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Here is the summary notes from my dad... we shall call him Jim the Golfer:

"Scale of 1 to 10 - 7ish.  They took a while to learn how to hit them.  They're better for a senior golfer or a high-capper like myself."

Might be worth a try, has she considered any of the other hybrid style sets?  Or maybe even a single-length set?  

We've definitely been exploring all options in the wood and hybrid world.  Considered Cleveland Launchers, Cobra T-Rails, Wilson Launchpads.  Tour Edge has several options, the newest being the HL Ironwoods.  Looked at some clone-club types as well (from diamondtour.com).  Also looked at going as far up the set we can go with various hybrids (like Callaway Big Bertha or Rogue Hybrids) or with actual fairway woods (like up to an 11-wood).  If I hadn't come across that good deal on the Moonwoods, I was probably going to go with the higher lofted fairway woods and fill in the higher part of the set with hybrids or ironwoods.  Left-handed always limits the options a lot more (eg Sub70 didn't have hybrids for lefties).  

The single-length concept (for all clubs but the Driver) would definitely be one she would be a fan of.  And, maybe I could try to build that set for her by getting the buying some shafts and making them all the same length myself (she would want them all to be longer, like 3W or 5W length if she had her way).  

I had already decided not to do a full set for her.  She doesn't need 14 clubs - that just confuses her.  So, I was going to do like a Driver (11 Degree), 3W (16 Degree), 7W (~ 22 degree), 11W (~29 degree), 7H (~35 degree), PW (~47 degree), Putter.  She likes her PW and didn't want any other higher degree wedges.  

We also like playing speed golf with abbreviated sets of like 5 or 6 clubs each, so that setup works well for that too.

Edited by vamosjackets

Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 

I wanted to update this thread since the Moon Woods FINALLY came in (wow USPS - only took 1 month! /sarcasm) ...

In a few words ... ALL HAIL THE MOON WOOD!

These things are legit.  My wife is hitting them wayyyy better than any iron options or even hybrid options we've tried (and we've tried several), and I don't think there could be a better option out there for her.  There are 4 clubs - 21*, 25*, 29*, and 33* - this provides a very nice gapping for her.  She's getting nice height on the ball with those 2 highest lofted ones, which is what she's been missing.  She's able to take more of an iron swing and is getting a nice result.  

She loves the length (they're all the same length - I think they're all about the length of a standard 4-iron).  They set up with the lie angle to be able to play a little closer to your body so you can have a more upright stance - this actually helps to hit straight and reduce errors horizontally because of the more upright swing plane.  

Here's how I know these clubs are truly beneficial - I CAN HIT THEM.  Seriously, I can hit them left-handed (I'm right-handed), and actually hit them well.  I've tried to hit all of the clubs we've tried for her and have been absolutely humbled by how hard it is to hit the ball left handed - I have yet to hit a single good shot with any of the clubs we've gotten her.  But, with these, I actually hit good shots - high, long, straight.  What I found impossible with other clubs, was possible with these.  

I can say with the highest confidence - if anyone out there has trouble hitting irons, there is a great chance these clubs can be the answer for you.  

My dad (75 yrs old, slow swing) just paid a lot of money for a custom-fit set of Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons - a hybrid-type iron-set.  He was having a ton of trouble hitting his irons.  The Clevelands have been a significant improvement over what he had before (a 10 year old set of Callaway Big Berthas).  If I could go back in time 2 months, I would tell him to try these before he spent all that money on the custom Clevelands.  Not that the Clevelands are bad, far from it.  I just think these would've been even better for him.  I'm not sure they wouldn't be good for me (or anybody), even as a somewhat fast swinger, 10-handicap.  

Edited by vamosjackets

• vamosjackets changed the title to Moon Woods (MW8) - Any opinions? - *UPDATE*
7 hours ago, vamosjackets said:

I wanted to update this thread since the Moon Woods FINALLY came in (wow USPS - only took 1 month! /sarcasm) ...

In a few words ... ALL HAIL THE MOON WOOD!

These things are legit.  My wife is hitting them wayyyy better than any iron options or even hybrid options we've tried (and we've tried several), and I don't think there could be a better option out there for her.  There are 4 clubs - 21*, 25*, 29*, and 33* - this provides a very nice gapping for her.  She's getting nice height on the ball with those 2 highest lofted ones, which is what she's been missing.  She's able to take more of an iron swing and is getting a nice result.  

She loves the length (they're all the same length - I think they're all about the length of a standard 4-iron).  They set up with the lie angle to be able to play a little closer to your body so you can have a more upright stance - this actually helps to hit straight and reduce errors horizontally because of the more upright swing plane.  

Here's how I know these clubs are truly beneficial - I CAN HIT THEM.  Seriously, I can hit them left-handed (I'm right-handed), and actually hit them well.  I've tried to hit all of the clubs we've tried for her and have been absolutely humbled by how hard it is to hit the ball left handed - I have yet to hit a single good shot with any of the clubs we've gotten her.  But, with these, I actually hit good shots - high, long, straight.  What I found impossible with other clubs, was possible with these.  

I can say with the highest confidence - if anyone out there has trouble hitting irons, there is a great chance these clubs can be the answer for you.  

My dad (75 yrs old, slow swing) just paid a lot of money for a custom-fit set of Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons - a hybrid-type iron-set.  He was having a ton of trouble hitting his irons.  The Clevelands have been a significant improvement over what he had before (a 10 year old set of Callaway Big Berthas).  If I could go back in time 2 months, I would tell him to try these before he spent all that money on the custom Clevelands.  Not that the Clevelands are bad, far from it.  I just think these would've been even better for him.  I'm not sure they wouldn't be good for me (or anybody), even as a somewhat fast swinger, 10-handicap.  

Thanks, for sharing. I have the HB Launchers and a Sr golfer and was going to go to the HB Turbos. Was thinking about the set that would be senior friendly for the next 5-10 years. Your thread has me thinking. 

Sounds like you found a winner......however, you only have a comparable #4, #5, #6 & #7........what are the rest of her clubs?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Glad to hear they work well for her!

I’d also be interested to hear what she’s using to fill out the low end of her bag. I think you said she likes her PW, but that seems like it would leave a lot of open space between the most lofted moon wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Sounds like you found a winner......however, you only have a comparable #4, #5, #6 & #7........what are the rest of her clubs?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

6 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Glad to hear they work well for her!

I’d also be interested to hear what she’s using to fill out the low end of her bag. I think you said she likes her PW, but that seems like it would leave a lot of open space between the most lofted moon wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good questions!  Right now, she really doesn't want anything else.  Golf is very basic for her at this point and having to choose between too many clubs (and learning to hit too many clubs) confuses her.  I'm struggling a bit too with having a good understanding of her distances.  She may get ahold of a drive sometimes and hit it over 200 yards, but she probably hits the driver maybe 160-180 on average.  The 3 wood (16*) is probably 140-160, MW 21* might be 120-140, MW 25* might be 100-120, MW 29* might be 80-100, MW 33* might be 60-80.  Her PW is probably good for anything inside of 40-50.  So, things just overlap and bunch up.  For a beginner who doesn't play super-often, hitting clubs consistent distances is not a luxury we have right now.  I'm not 100% sure where to go from here other than just use what she has, enjoy playing, and get better, and then maybe it will become more apparent when she does need something else.  

She actually wants to sell 2 of those MW's after playing with all four of them for a while to determine which ones make the most sense gapping-wise for her.  So, from the Driver to the Putter, she wants maybe 6 clubs total and will just adjust to different distances by getting a feel for how to shorten/soften the swing from a full swing.  

I'd welcome different thoughts and advice on this.

Edited by vamosjackets