Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Head drop backswing?

Hello everyone,

I have been working with a new instructor for almost three months and we have fixed nearly all of my prominent swing issues. The one that remains is my head likes to drop down and towards the golf ball in the backswing. When I try to not move it, I either top the ball, or move slightly closer and toe the living crap out of it. Has anyone else had this issue, or do you have any tips for keeping the head still without topping or toeing the ball? In this video, I do a decent job, but I toe the ball badly.

:ping-small: G430 LST 10.5* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X)

:ping-small: G430 MAX 14* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X)

:ping-small: iCrossover 17* (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 80X)

:ping-small: i230 4-PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold X100)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:ping-small: PLD Anser 2

:taylormade-small: TP5X

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

Well, your instructor is your best source for this answer.   Keep working with your instructor.  Your handicap suggests that things are working for you.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I don’t think the head dropping is something you should worry another as much as the stalling of the hips and throwing of the arms and hand to get to impact. 

But as carlh mentioned if you are working with an instructor letting him fix your head moving up down or any other swing issue.

Getting input from golfers on a forum covid and probably be counterintuitive to what your coach is having you work on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm going to agree with both guys, keep working with your instructor.  If he's not worried about this, why should you worry about it.  Its really rare for those of us (like me, and almost certainly like you) who aren't REALLY knowledgeable about the golf swing to properly diagnose swing faults.  What most of us see are symptoms, rarely can we ever identify a cause.  If your instructor has helped you get to a 4 handicap, and he hasn't identified this head movement as a problem, chances are its not a problem.

So stop it, stop trying to diagnose your own swing video.  Use the video to verify that you're doing the things your instructor is telling you to do, but that's it, don't go looking for more things to fix.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia