TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Rapsodo MLM Personal Launch Monitor

StrokerAce

rapsodo2.jpg

Rapsodo’s customer is any golfer who benefits from seeing the full cause and effect of swing, shot trace, and shot data. This includes average golfers who want to practice more effectively, competitive golfers looking to track and fine tune their game, and teaching pros who want an easy way to provide remote lessons.

Follow along as the winner of the MyGolfSpy Best Personal Launch Monitor, Rapsodo.  - https://mygolfspy.com/the-rapsodo-mlm-launch-monitor/ will be tested by members
@Mtbryant01
@Rchang

They will be joined by @GolfSpy Stroker

...and someone you might have seen on social media - George Bryan of Bryan Bros Golf, younger brother of PGA tour winner Wesley. https://www.youtube.com/user/BryanBrosGolf  https://www.instagram.com/bryanbrosgolf/

Follow along as this will be a fun one!

rapsodo1.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Hey guys, my name is Matthew Bryant. I was extremely fortunate to be selected by MGS to have this awesome opportunity to test the Rapsodo MLM Launch Monitor. I want to thank MGS and everyone involved who makes these opportunities of testing equipment happen. With the winter months upon us, this opportunity gave me more incentive to continue working on my swing. Living in Alabama still allows me to get out to the range, but you never know with the weather. I also have a set up at the house I’ll show a little later that allowed me to get some extra practice in.

Here’s a little bit about myself before I dive into the review. Born and raised in Alabama, I played a lot of sports growing up which didn’t leave too much time for golf as a kid. I really started to play more golf when my abilities for other sports leveled off at church league softball/basketball. While in college, I got a student membership at the local course and that’s where the love for golf really started. My goals continue to get lower and lower over the years as my handicap is trending lower. I am married to my wife, Kelsey and we have a son, Brooks. I like to think Brooks likes to listen to my post round recaps and express how happy he is no matter how bad I might do. I work for the local power company (Alabama Power) and help design the electrical system. Outside of keeping the lights on, watching the Atlanta Braves, Alabama football and basketball are some hobbies.

Brooks.jpg.1d7a85cab701a3aaf6e2a68aa7ef2431.jpg646679586_KelseyBrooks.JPG.5f1b427bc37a0144151b581c3d2951de.JPG

Now lets get to what y'all came here to read. Here are a couple goals for this review:

1) I have a general idea of how far my clubs go, but I wanted to nail down and get a better idea of my gapping and where I can improve.

2) How does the Rapsodo compare with hitting inside into a net and outside on the range?

3) How easy is it to set up the launch monitor on the course and not mess up pace of play.

4) Data retention and ease of access?

First Impressions

The Rapsodo launch monitor came in right before Christmas for me. Before actually starting any of my testing, I was really intrigued to see how a $500 Rapsodo can produce results in  comparison to a $20,000 Trackman. Trackman uses doppler radar technology to track the full flight of the ball whereas Rapsodo only tracks the initial impact flight of the ball. I am impressed with what Rapsodo has to offer as shown in some of the pictures below. Some of the statistics include distance in yards, ball speed, club speed, smash factor, launch angle, and launch direction. Using the camera from your phone, you can see replays of your shot and if your swing fits in the frame. 

Box.jpg.b29d1425be525c04e169b7409a4bbf81.jpgcase.jpg.cad5cb86f62a6de6b61f3ed76dba3f5f.jpg

Grading

Looks & Feel (10 out of 10 points)

Easy 10 out of 10 here. The Rapsodo is small enough to carry in my golf bag. It isn’t a bulky design. The case that it comes with is sturdy enough where if you accidentally drop the launch monitor in the case, it’ll be just fine. There is a clip that comes with the case and you can easily attach it on the outside of the bag if you wanted to.

device.JPG.61a3990c65caa31a9ab08bb8640853e3.JPG

Setup (13 out of 15 points)

From taking the launch monitor out of the case in my bag, opening the app, placing my phone on the launch monitor, it takes about 45 seconds to 1 minute. When you use the Rapsodo outside like on the range or on the course, it’ll take about another minute to get the orientation of where the ball will be traveling. Below is what you see from the camera perspective. 

IMG_0671.PNG.026b27647ca0313eb3eccec4e43bbde1.PNG

The important part about setup is how far away you place the launch monitor away from the ball. As we saw in the initial post when asking for reviewers, if you are hitting inside, you will need 6-8 ft from the ball to the net and about 6-8 ft from the launch monitor to the ball. Here is my set up at the house. I’ve had this cheap net from Amazon that has held up quite nicely. I was able to borrow a good mat from one of the RTJ courses here by me. I never had a problem with my set up at the house. Thankfully I never shanked one into one of the metal poles by the net. 

setup.jpg.e05ae4920d87af45d321c6efccb9c102.jpg

My only knock on using the Rapsodo launch monitor with setup and use of the equipment was how quickly the battery on my phone drains. I have an iPhone 12 and haven’t had it for more than 4 months. Now I can still easily get in a long range session, but I could go from 100 % down to 60%. Another thing that I experienced recently was that the launch monitor and my phone got overheated when the temperature was reading 70 degrees! Now I realize the sun was bright and shiny that day, but I can only imagine what might happen during a 90-100 degree day down here in Alabama. I’ll report back this summer. 

Scroll down to the miscellaneous section where I talk about the Rapsodo app, ease of use, and data retention.

Accuracy (13 out of 15 points)

Disclaimer before I talk about accuracy***Let’s say I hit the pin and it says 165 yards out. I am happy if I hit the ball 160-170 yards. I don’t need the yardage down to 1 yard for I do not have pinpoint accuracy due to inconsistent ball striking.***

One of the accuracy tests that I have not been able to test yet, but have a lesson lined up at the end of this upcoming week is testing the Rapsodo next to the Trackman. I’ll come back and update some of the results I found. I read on Rapsodo’s website that they also conducted that test and the picture below shows how close they claim to be to a Trackman. 

trackman.jpg.1465249127d94b2563a1e51495a900aa.jpg

What I did end up testing is the accuracy of hitting indoor into a net versus outdoor. With the weather being rainy and cold for the past 2 months, I have definitely compiled more data inside. I compiled just over 800 shots. 500 were inside and about 300 outside. Hitting inside had some challenges as my ceilings are only 8.5 ft ceilings. If I had a normal follow through with my 5 wood, 3 wood, and driver, I would clip the ceiling (see bloopers at the end). Below are my averages and as you can see I averaged 5-10 yards further outside with each club. This makes sense as the camera and radar technology have the ability to track the ball further outside than inside. 

SW PW 9 i 8 i 7 i 6 i 5 i 4 i 5 w 3 w D
Outside (yds) 127 141 152 162 173 174 194 203 232 247 278
Inside (yds) 115 131 144 157 168 177 187 195 230 213 266

While these averages are about what I expect, I did get some off the wall distances during my indoor and outdoor sessions. The only way I can reach these two distances shown below is with a 20-30 mph wind at my back (there wasn't). I will probably average 1-2 of these session where I either get off the wall long numbers or like a distance of 7 yards. It would only bother me if it happened every 4th shot.

IMG_0642.thumb.gif.2197378d75b6c8f5ce04a7bcd2a0262a.gif

IMG_0643.thumb.gif.45e671ced0b16b59caaa5c8faf3db1fd.gif

On-Course or Range (27 out of 30 points)

I spent a lot of my time using the Rapsodo during the review hitting inside at the house and outside on the range. Hitting outside allows you to see a replay of your swing (like hitting indoors), but also get to see the shot path as seen below in some of the videos. With the ease of setup, it didn’t mess up my routine at all when first getting on the range. Take a minute or two set up after getting some range balls and then do my regular routine. 

Sometimes when I was hitting indoors, I’d try really hard to see how far I can hit it since I didn’t truly know where the ball was going. Of course I could tell if I bladed or chunked it, but my issue was I couldn’t truly tell if I pushed, sliced, drew, or hooked the ball. What I have enjoyed using the Rapsodo launch monitor outdoors is seeing different shot shapes and knowing exactly how far I’m hitting it. I like going back and seeing the videos of my shots with the shot tracer. Here is why I didn’t give it a full 30 out of 30 points: the shot tracer is not always accurate. I feel like most of the shot trackers were lower than my actual ball flight. The shot tracker would follow the ball most of the time, but would be a lot lower making it seem like when I look back at the videos that I am hitting the ball low on the face or smothering the ball. There are some other times where the shot tracer gets funky. See pictures/videos below.

IMG_0255.jpg.1792f2e51029ade8d5c1b8252d8f31f0.jpg

IMG_0641.thumb.gif.5303151cca564916275421bacf1d300f.gif

Since I still need to have the Rapsodo about 6-8 ft away from where I am hitting the golf ball, the placement of the Rapsodo might be in the walking area of where other golfers might be passing by. I try to either get on the outside part of the range or try to go when there are not a lot of people out there. Another thing I had to be aware of is the volume of the Rapsodo launch monitor. After each hit, the launch monitor will read out the distance. If the volume is turned up too loud, it could annoy some of the other golfers nearby. 

Miscellaneous (9 out of 10 points)

In this section I’ll talk about the Rapsodo app. The app is free from the app store. There is a premium subscription of $100 a year for you to buy if you desire. The app stores every single shot and breaks down each shot. You do have the ability to delete bad shots that I consider throw aways. I try to delete those as they aren't true to what my average would be for that club. There are 5 sections in the app: Home, Coach, Play, Explore, and Profile. 

1) Profile is where you can set up a lot of the behind the scenes stuff like a profile picture, what is in your bag, app settings, and tutorials.

IMG_0684.jpg.44f0d175b81a571d79199350132bc437.jpg

2) Explore tab allows you to view other people who post their shots. You can like their posts or give it a thumbs down if you so choose.

IMG_0685.jpg.daed5343f67dcd4b930db6d13e1ba758.jpg

3) Coach tab is where you can look at featured instructors and purchase virtual lessons from them.

IMG_0686.PNG.b72d5e8b69d6944b351d00735c375df7.PNG

IMG_0687.PNG.f7c2031e618a49df75b82a74594c312c.PNG

4) The Home tab is where you can go back and look at all the sessions you completed along with the data you compiled over the lifetime of using the Rapsodo. This is where some of the premium subscription comes into play. If you have a premium subscription, you can view all the video replays of every shot you have made. If you don’t have a premium subscription, you can only view the most recent videos from your last few sessions. 

IMG_0688.PNG.7546ed49f4e6ea0be4acf469a00cc105.PNG

You can go into each session and look at each shot (distance, ball speed, club speed, etc.)

IMG_0690.jpg.5de8e4ac1118f4d7f49a8ec1492471c9.jpg

5) Play tab is where you start your range/on course sessions along with competing in games like closest to the pin or longest drive with other Rapsodo members. You can only do the games outside. 

IMG_0691.PNG.a1a2293b2119dcf29d77960fd522c5a8.PNG

The only reason I didn’t give this a 10 out of 10 is because you have to purchase the yearly subscription to see all your videos. I wish they would allow access to all the videos and not the most recent ones. I like to look back and see my progress or try to find why I’m struggling with a certain club.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

So here is what this comes down to. Are you willing to pay $400-500 for a launch monitor? If you are in the market for one cheaper than a Trackman, then absolutely. I believe the Rapsodo launch monitor can truly help you hone in your distances for your sticks. I believe any type of golfer can find use with the Rapsodo launch monitor. You can get as detailed as you like with the club head, ball speed, and smash factor or you can just look at the distances. 

giphy.gif.db2cce329ef6337cc8d2b0e2abb98742.gif

Conclusion

The Rapsodo launch monitor is an affordable device, with the help of radar technology, that can help develop and make your game better. Through the use of the launch monitor and your phone, one can see distance, ball speed, club head speed, and smash factor through every shot one takes. One can set up anywhere to use the launch monitor from on the course, inside into a net, or out on the range. I believe you have to practice to get better at anything you put effort into. Depending on if you’re willing to spend money on this area of your golf game, having a launch monitor can help pinpoint what each club in your bag should carry distance wise. Whether this translates to success on the golf course is up to you.

Final Score: 92 out of 100

Bloopers

IMG_0637.thumb.gif.bf2b1b1d368779affc94e5352ded8c28.gif

blooper.thumb.gif.5b84c7daf7119781476ae9733772a037.gif

IMG_0628.thumb.gif.d0f4a728478fad20d746360121ad4081.gif

IMG_0605.thumb.gif.963e2f7c38d9f00720ad7d86a5fb20d9.gif

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Review 2/14/2021

Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor – Official MGS Forum Review by Rchang

Intro 

Hello friends, Roger here. Want to thank MyGolfspy and Rapsodo for the chance to review this product. A bit about me. I grew up and currently live in Cincinnati. I picked up golf at age 28, or more like golf gripped hold of me when my brother needed a fourth for his tee time and my 115th shot was a pure 5 iron 180 yards. I am a family practice doctor by trade, but engineer by undergraduate degree and mindset. Alton Brown and J Kenji Lopez-Alt are my cooking gurus. I’ve read through The Golfing Machine. TXG is one of my favorite golf channels. So being analytical is my bag.

It also can be my downfall. For years, while my kids were going from

image.png.c59ea642a1baa4ddada8d2225031dc88.png   to      image.png.75f5b7302456618aef1e8364f02ae2a9.png

I wouldn’t get much time to play. So indoor swing practice would have to suffice.

image.png.ec9f933651f9af1b62d4c7b8b706c92f.png 

But I started to get too analytical and kept searching for the perfect golf swing. The last few years, I started to see the light and play more target focused golf and less swing mechanics focused (shout out to Zen Golf Mechanic and GolfSidekick). Ironically, I now swing better and hit the ball farther because of this. I started to play my best golf ever, and like many, got more rounds under my belt this year than ever before.

Exiting the 2020 season, my golf goals were to do better with my wedge game and mid-iron approach. Many times from 30-70 yards, I found myself guessing which wedge to use, what level arm swing or how fast to swing. I planned to get a lesson and rent some simulator time to measure it. The golfing gods (and MGS) were kind and let me test the Rapsodo MLM out. Allow me to practice at home and start connecting my feel with actual distances? Brilliant!

First Impressions

The Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor is essentially a marriage of a portable radar and your Apple iOS device’s camera (sorry Android users). Rapsodo first came out as radar for baseball pitching and bat speed. Seems a very short distance to move to golf, leveraging something they had lot of experience with the radar measurements. It claims to give you both real time data on ball speed, distance, launch and descent angle, shot shape. Also it videos your swing, which you can replay. It can be used both live in the open as well as into a net indoors. The MLM app holds a certain number of swings, but you can upgrade to their premium package which adds unlimited swings, apex, slow motion video replay. While we were in our testing period, they started a coaching program where you can subscribe and send your swings to some pretty big name coaches like Mike Malaska or Martin Blackburn.

The MLM came right around Christmas and boy was I excited!

image.png.099f9b6db6cb0c41514a2cd635d5d959.png     image.png.473b950a4242e504da57eb80b10dd7bc.png

Grading

Looks & Feel (10 out of 10 points)

The Rapsodo is very solid construction. Has good heft to it. About the size of a laser rangefinder. Comes with a nice case that you can hook to your bag, just like a rangefinder case. USB charging cable included.

image.png.80a23243a0d9cdc15ca7d74bb42b358d.png

Setup (13 out of 15 points) 

Easy to get started. Very quick to charge up. Part of the setup is downloading the MLM app on the phone. Once downloaded, it was easy to pair it with the MLM. Once you create a profile, you set up what clubs you want to monitor. All very smooth. I paired with an iphone XR 64 GB phone.

Setting up indoors took a bit of time. At first, I was only getting about 50 % of my shots in my garage setup.

image.png.cd6f1564fab1d9ec1f8983f603f52b04.png

Jake at Rapsodo helped troubleshoot. Main issue was not having enough light. I had to go out and buy 4000 lumen light bulbs to get my garage lit enough. Also had to fiddle with distances. When they say set up 6 feet behind the ball, they mean 6 feet. And at least 8 feet of ball flight must be seen.

Outdoors, setup was easier. The distance behind the ball still key to getting a good image of my swing, especially with the driver.

The feature to change the club selection when you wave a new club in front of the phone sounds cool, but doesn’t work all the time. Confused between 6 and 9. Also wasn’t good about doing the 54 degree wedge.

Accuracy (13.5 {7.5 outdoors, 6 indoors} out of 15 points) 

Near my office is a local golf store (#shopsmall). Greg, the owner, was kind enough to let me compare my shots with his Foresight QC4. Because of bad timing, the day I was able to use the Foresight, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground. So did the testing indoors. He has it set up in a hitting bay with projection to a screen. I did 7 shots with lob wedge pitches, full 7 iron, driver.

Av. Dist MLM

Av Dist FS

% variance

Lob Wedge

3.73%

7 iron

10.02%

Driver

-8.21%

Av Ball speed MLM

Av Ball Speed FS

% variance

Lob Wedge

0.74%

7 iron

1.60%

Driver

-6.26%

Launch MLM

Launch FS

% variance

Lob Wedge

-6.61%

7 iron

15.53%

Driver

13.10%

The variance looks large, but I think that has more to do with the setting than the machine itself. The variance of the ball speed was much lower than the launch angle or distance. This makes sense to me. The MLM system must use a combination of radar for ball and clubhead speed from the cradle and the phone camera picking up the ball to get the launch angle. So the radar which doesn’t care how dark it is works fine for speed, but the phone camera can get fuzzy with launch. When you use indoors, GREAT (not just good) lighting is necessary. I was in a hitting bay, and while it captured each one of my shots, I think the lower light hurt the accuracy. Too bad it uses the selfie camera, which has a very small aperture, but that is the price to do instant replay video.

When I tested outdoors, I found my distances to be more consistent with my expected distances based on lasering the targets on the range with my Precision Pro NX7. In the future, when the weather improves, want to test against the Foresight outside

On-Course or Range (29  out of 30 points)

Outdoors, this really shines. As I mentioned before, wedge play was what I wanted to focus on. It was great to pull out my wedge, do a partial swing for a yardage, and have the phone tell me my actual stats. I also was working on my launch angle with my chips. Got to do those as well in the backyard image.png.9f95c4d1f10571f4e67e5f838f14b973.png

Also did a gapping session through the bag. Was enlightening to see that I was hitting my 7 iron and 6 almost the same distances. And my driver is no better than my 3 wood. The Rapsodo also does GPS positions to help you see dispersion. Helped me notice trends with the clubs, which fade vs draw

image.png.e03a438ccc238448d5cb6b3ddbeae15f.png          image.png.8a184c6b91e4ce504f3a083282a88a70.png

I did take it to the course a couple of times before the weather got worse. Level ground and no grass between the MLM and the ball were necessary, so basically teeing ground or fairway. When I tried to move hole to hole, the app needed to be reset each time I closed the cradle. Maybe it is the GPS location for the shots which screw it up? Did get a beautiful shot of my son hitting a drive (he just started playing this year)

image.png.826f66ba00e00328d2ce79a3cf768c3a.png

Miscellaneous (9 out of 10 points)

The Rapsodo support was top notch. They shot me an email when they registered that the MLM had triggered, but didn’t register all the shot information. I did dock a point because there were times midsession when the app would crash. Usually when I did a longer session. When I reopened the app, I could resume the session, but it’s a pain nonetheless.

Not affecting my scoring, it will not measure just clubhead speed for speed stick training. Likely it hears the ball being hit to start recording, like Arccos or TopTracer apps.

Play it or Trade it? (16 out of 20 points)

I’m a bit conflicted on this. It does fit a need to dial in distances for my whole bag and my wedge distance control. However using it indoors was not as easy or accurate as I had hoped. When the weather improves, I do see myself hitting into my net in the backyard. If I had a better lit space indoors where I could trust the accuracy of the MLM, I probably would use it lot more at home.

Conclusion

The Rapsodo MLM is an excellent value for an accurate personal radar. The app is quite handsome and gives a lot of usable data that I will write down to figure out which club to hit on my next approach shot (spring come soon!)  The immediate feedback ability to see your swing and the resultant shot is very neat. Outdoors, the MLM works almost flawlessly. Indoors, be aware that having enough light will affect how well it works for you.

Final Score: (90.5 out of 100)

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Rchang

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

[placeholder]

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Enjoy this testers. Very interested to see this. I struggle with realizing when I make a change if its working without seeing the numbers. If it doesnt feel right I give up even though I could be moving in the right direction to fix something and I feel like a LM could really help me see if the things I am doing are helping or hindering without being on the course.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Last year I bought a swing caddie SC300 to use with my net during lockdown. I also brought it to the range.

I cannot just bash balls into a net. Most boring thing in the world.

The SC300 is a great device. Compared to some of the other devices it's pretty accurate.

I use it for both swing speed and distance. It has an app that does some stuff but I never really did use that. The thing that is lacking with it is the ability to record your swing. That is a major feature that I look forward to using with the Rapsodo. When I hit a good ball I'd like to see what I did on *that* swing as well as when I hit a poor one.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Excited to hear the reviews from you guys.  I'm on the fence about buying one for myself.  So hopefully you guys can help my decision along.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I'm looking for a few things out of this.

1. Gapping
This will definitely help me gap my bag and figure if/where I have holes.

2. Swing analysis
Really looking forward to the recording option where I can check to see my swing set up. When I go for a lesson this will be great as well as I can show the instructor what I feel vs what I see. Afterwards it will be great to use for checkpoints on things he/she suggest I work on.

3. Distance/Swing speed/ball speed
This is the fun part! 

4. Shot tracing!
Will be cool to use on course and share with you guys

5. consistency
Will be interesting to look at the data to see if I am consistently missing/off in different areas of my game. (hopefully not all of them!)

Here's the FAQ page in case you guys have questions/are interested in specific tests  - https://rapsodo.com/faq/faq-mlm/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

This is going to be an awesome test.  Are any of you guys doing Superspeed training?  I would love to know if this will pick up the speed of the training sticks.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

9 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

This is going to be an awesome test.  Are any of you guys doing Superspeed training?  I would love to know if this will pick up the speed of the training sticks.

I just received a set of superspeed sticks and have yet to use them.

I did not get a device to measure swing speed and am hoping the Rapsodo will be able to do that.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Ya i am really on the fence on buying one too. I hope your reviews can help sway me either way. I love the premise of it and see it as a great tool to improve your game with. Love the fact you can use this for gapping purposes, but for that, this needs to be super accurate (I know it is within 2.5% of trackman usually).

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

36 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Ya i am really on the fence on buying one too. I hope your reviews can help sway me either way. I love the premise of it and see it as a great tool to improve your game with. Love the fact you can use this for gapping purposes, but for that, this needs to be super accurate (I know it is within 2.5% of trackman usually).

I am eventually going to replace my 4 iron, 3 wood, and 5 wood with a hybrid and wood. At the local course I play at, one of the head pros has a trackman I can use. I’ll definitely try and see just how close the Rapsodo compares to the trackman for gapping purposes as this is something I’ve been meaning to do.

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

RH, Alabama

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

I have also been doing some speed training on my DIY swing speed sticks and generally working on using ground forces more. 

My stats from last year showed poor approach play from 20-160 yards. 14% GIR and low up and down from pitch shots. Also found myself guessing a lot how to get out under trees. My goals are aimed to correct these 

1) Distance gapping: my irons have changed distance over the last year. Not knowing how far I carry the irons leaves doubt in my approaches. 

2) Partial wedge shot: practicing on getting consistent launch angles and dialing in the clock system distances with my wedges  Hoping for weather to hold up enough to take this on a local par 3 so can use my game balls  

3) Indoor practice feedback: she who must be adored got me a hitting net for my birthday. Getting better sense if that shot into the net would have been straight or hooked left will be key

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

56 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Yeah - my HC is between 8 and 11 and I don't really need something that tells me that my 9 iron goes 137 yards versus 135. I'm not that good and a few yards either way isn't going to make a huge difference to me. I'm looking to see if my 9i and PW have enough of a consistent distance gap between them. 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

16 minutes ago, Rchang said:

I have also been doing some speed training on my DIY swing speed sticks and generally working on using ground forces more. 

My stats from last year showed poor approach play from 20-160 yards. 14% GIR and low up and down from pitch shots. Also found myself guessing a lot how to get out under trees. My goals are aimed to correct these 

1) Distance gapping: my irons have changed distance over the last year. Not knowing how far I carry the irons leaves doubt in my approaches. 

2) Partial wedge shot: practicing on getting consistent launch angles and dialing in the clock system distances with my wedges  Hoping for weather to hold up enough to take this on a local par 3 so can use my game balls  

3) Indoor practice feedback: she who must be adored got me a hitting net for my birthday. Getting better sense if that shot into the net would have been straight or hooked left will be key

I like #2 - that is a great idea and is something that the Rapsodo will be ideal for.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I’ve been contemplating getting some sort of PLM for a while.. this one, the Swing Caddie, or a Mevo. I will probably pick one up in the spring, so I’m gonna pay close attention here to see how y’all end up liking these.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Last year I bought a swing caddie SC300 to use with my net during lockdown. I also brought it to the range.
I cannot just bash balls into a net. Most boring thing in the world.
The SC300 is a great device. Compared to some of the other devices it's pretty accurate.
I use it for both swing speed and distance. It has an app that does some stuff but I never really did use that. The thing that is lacking with it is the ability to record your swing. That is a major feature that I look forward to using with the Rapsodo. When I hit a good ball I'd like to see what I did on *that* swing as well as when I hit a poor one.

I though the SC300 had a download feature. That's the thing I don't like about the SC200. As a workaround I would use the 'average' setting and take a quick screen shot. The problem with that was that the averages including outliers.

Hope you can put the these two side by side and provide input on the difference in numbers.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I purchased the Rapsodo back in April when the first lockdowns were just starting. Used it a handful of times and my only complaint was that it didn't have any sort of filtering system where if I clearly mishit a ball it wouldn't filter it out. I could hit 3 shots at 150 and 3 at 20 and it would average them all together. You can go in and manually delete the mishits but it is a little annoying. Other shot tracking apps have the capability to automatically throw out the short shots once a trend has been set.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

11 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

I purchased the Rapsodo back in April when the first lockdowns were just starting. Used it a handful of times and my only complaint was that it didn't have any sort of filtering system where if I clearly mishit a ball it wouldn't filter it out. I could hit 3 shots at 150 and 3 at 20 and it would average them all together. You can go in and manually delete the mishits but it is a little annoying. Other shot tracking apps have the capability to automatically throw out the short shots once a trend has been set.

Did you use Rapsodo on the course or just inside hitting into the net? I’m curious about the set up time and trying not to mess up my playing partners rhythm. I want to see my shot shapes/swing when actually playing compared to when I’m just practicing into a net.

RH, Alabama

has anyone ( @GolfSpy Stroker) tried using the Superspeed sticks with the MLM to measure head speed? Instead of having a radar and MLM, does the MLM do the same work?

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

6 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

has anyone ( @GolfSpy Stroker) tried using the Superspeed sticks with the MLM to measure head speed? Instead of having a radar and MLM, does the MLM do the same work?

as soon as I get it I will try it and let you know.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

5 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

Did you use Rapsodo on the course or just inside hitting into the net? I’m curious about the set up time and trying not to mess up my playing partners rhythm. I want to see my shot shapes/swing when actually playing compared to when I’m just practicing into a net.

It was actually on the range. Setup isn't hard and I'm sure it can be streamlined with repetition. The only thing that takes some getting used to is the orientation of where you are aiming. You choose your location and then have to rotate the display to show where you are aiming. At the range, it doesn't really matter since it will track the shots fine but if you wanted to use it on the course to track your shots on a map, it would be more important. 

I’m not an official tester but I’ve got a Rapsodo MLM and was able to take it out on the range today. My best shot by far was the one you see below. These distance are the carry numbers, right? 
For how good I felt like I hit it, the shot trail doesn’t seem to do it justice. Oh well. 

E79F596D-F554-4F9A-82B4-60706809CBAB.jpeg

I’m assuming it automatically applies the shot tracer effect?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

12 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

After using it on the range today, I think you could make it a quick setup. I happened to be facing away from the range (also facing North) when I was turning the monitor on so I had to rotate the view 180° so it was facing the right way. I didn’t think of it until after to try and see if the orientation is based which way you are facing or if it defaults to facing North?

Just now, TSauer said:

I’m assuming it automatically applies the shot tracer effect?

Yes. There is no user input for the tracer. 

I’m not an official tester but I’ve got a Rapsodo MLM and was able to take it out on the range today. My best shot by far was the one you see below. These distance are the carry numbers, right? 
For how good I felt like I hit it, the shot trail doesn’t seem to do it justice. Oh well. 

E79F596D-F554-4F9A-82B4-60706809CBAB.jpeg.c302b123c6e61a87ef83d7edf6c02654.jpeg

Can you toggle between Carry and Total distance?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

8 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Can you toggle between Carry and Total distance?

No. Just says “Distance”

It can’t - at least not accurately - it’s using the camera on your phone to track the ball flight so you need the ball to travel at certain distance after impact.

The one function that I’ve found lacking is shot height. It gives a graph that shows relative height of shots but does not calculate actual height, unless I haven’t been able to figure out where that stat is offered.

I’ve yet to use mine on the course. Our courses have been booked solid during the pandemic. Not enough time to pull a device out while playing.

Looking forward to hearing about ease of use on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That’s a bit odd to not have carry as option for irons. Would think that would be more important to know carry on them

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60