Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Depths of different shaft adapter sleeves

Do all the companies have different shaft depths on their adapters? i currently use Taylormade but if I were to pull that adapter sleeve and put in a Ping adapter will part of the sanded part of the shaft show? Is there a guide or does someone know the different depths of the sleeve adapters for the various companies?

Do all the companies have different shaft depths on their adapters? i currently use Taylormade but if I were to pull that adapter sleeve and put in a Ping adapter will part of the sanded part of the shaft show? Is there a guide or does someone know the different depths of the sleeve adapters for the various companies?

There is nothing “standard” in the golf industry. Adapters are specific to the manufacturer and their depths are different; I have
Never seen a chart to compare. Basically the only way is to find someone with both adapters and get them to measure.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just measured a spare Ping G410 driver adapter and the insertion depth is 1-1/8".  I don't have a spare TM to compare it to.

20201215_090041.jpg.bbfe41a98bf355cc3c0e78fdb7818aa3.jpg

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I just measured a spare Ping G410 driver adapter and the insertion depth is 1-1/8".  I don't have a spare TM to compare it to.
20201215_090041.jpg.bbfe41a98bf355cc3c0e78fdb7818aa3.jpg

Also need to note that there should also be a ferrule above the adapter on Ping clubs.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Also need to note that there should also be a ferrule above the adapter on Ping clubs.

+1 on the ferrule.  It would probably cover any difference in insertion depth that could expose a sanded part of the shaft.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Thanks for the help everyone, from what i understand a ferrule gives you a bit of leeway. I tend to tinker with driver heads and every couple of months i want to switch driver heads and want to keep the same shaft. Looking at the Ping G410 now but may want to try something different at some point but don’t want the shaft looking junky 

This is not really on topic..but I recently purchased an aftermarket shaft for my G410 and the adapter requires two or three clicks to keep it secure.  Is this a normal issue or is the install of the adapter incorrect?

:ping-small:Ping G410 Plus driver

:tour-edge: C721 5 wood

XXIO hybrid

PXG Hybrid

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson D7 irons

:ping-small: Sigma Putter

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 Sand Wedge

Ball::wilson_staff_small: Duo

10 minutes ago, Breck said:

This is not really on topic..but I recently purchased an aftermarket shaft for my G410 and the adapter requires two or three clicks to keep it secure.  Is this a normal issue or is the install of the adapter incorrect?

The wrench is a torque wrench and the clicks are just an indication that the screwed has been tightened properly.   There shouldn't be a difference between 1 or 10 clicks.  

On 12/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, e_phat said:

Thanks for the help everyone, from what i understand a ferrule gives you a bit of leeway. I tend to tinker with driver heads and every couple of months i want to switch driver heads and want to keep the same shaft. Looking at the Ping G410 now but may want to try something different at some point but don’t want the shaft looking junky 

Sorry this is late but ferrules that look best w shaft adapters are usually short, .25". ive used taller ones,.50" and .75", for my own clubs and they worked out ok but they look a little bulky to my eye but functionally speaking its fine.

99% of golfers wouldnt even notice.

So to cover shaft junk, if the short ferrules dont cover, you can go bigger.

Collared ferrules are best to use with shaft adapters installed on graphite shafts, helps center the shaft and provides support for shaft at top of adapter or hosel.  Id use a collared ferrule whenever a graphite shaft is involved. 

You can buy ferrule kits or go a la carte, they are very cheap, get an assortment of heights based on the O.D.s of the shafts you use, .335 for most wood shafts, but there are a few .350s out there, watch out .355 for tapered iron shafts or .370s for parallel iron shafts. 

If you dont have them yet, I'd say get some calipers, i got digital calipers for $15. to help determine ODs of shafts  ferrules, grips, etc. they come in handy.  Then you can stock up on ferrules for your clubs.