Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best Place For a Club Fitting?

Tyler17

Hello Everyone, 

I am looking for recommendations on places to do a club fitting in California. I have never gone through a fitting before and see there is quite a range, all with varying in prices and time they will spend with you. I’d like to make the most of it and avoid picking a gimmicky setup if possible. 

Cheers!  

16 minutes ago, Tyler17 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I am looking for recommendations on places to do a club fitting in California. I have never gone through a fitting before and see there is quite a range, all with varying in prices and time they will spend with you. I’d like to make the most of it and avoid picking a gimmicky setup if possible. 

Cheers!  

Where in CA?

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

17 minutes ago, Tyler17 said:

Sacramento area, but I’m not afraid of a drive if there’s a particular place that people regard highly. 

I’m not super familiar with up north. I’m in SoCal. I’d check to see if there’s a true spec or cool clubs. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

32 minutes ago, RobbyT said:

If there are any club champion locations there, I would recommend that.

I’m always wary of club champion. They up charge and push people into exotic shafts and puring. You have to be clear about what you want going in with them, and you’ll end up with a good fit. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

53 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I’m always wary of club champion. They up charge and push people into exotic shafts and puring. You have to be clear about what you want going in with them, and you’ll end up with a good fit. 

I heard good things/ read good reviews about them as well as cool clubs but I could see why they would try to push certain products. 

the 3.5 hours at club champion seemed more appealing than the 1.5 hours for a full bag at cool clubs but again that’s why I’m asking here! Appreciate the feedback!

2 hours ago, Tyler17 said:

I heard good things/ read good reviews about them as well as cool clubs but I could see why they would try to push certain products. 

the 3.5 hours at club champion seemed more appealing than the 1.5 hours for a full bag at cool clubs but again that’s why I’m asking here! Appreciate the feedback!

Yes, the time spent hitting is always the best part!

I think club champion can be great, just know your budget going in. They’ll push shafts that aren’t OEM related which leave you paying ridiculous amounts of money. The improvement is certainly there, but now you’re spending $4000 for a full set of clubs. Be clear about budget going in. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

I go to smaller places (not chains) but they're just as good if not better. I go to Alameda Golfworks and Keplers Golf Repair

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red Velocore (Reg)

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 3-wood 15* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Blue (Reg)

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 3hy 19* + 4hy 22* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Red (Reg)

Irons: :taylormade-small: P7mc 4-P (2* flat) Nippon NS Pro (Reg)

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 50,55,60 SB (2* flat) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom 12

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

Launch Monitor: Flightscope Mevo+

43 minutes ago, c_zoid said:

I go to smaller places (not chains) but they're just as good if not better. I go to Alameda Golfworks and Keplers Golf Repair

I agree completely. I just don’t know any up north! Down in Ventura County I think the Bunker Golf Center is top notch. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

yeah i feel like the smaller places give you a little more attention. also they have second hand stuff for cheaper too. they dont just sell the $550 drivers.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red Velocore (Reg)

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 3-wood 15* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Blue (Reg)

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 3hy 19* + 4hy 22* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Red (Reg)

Irons: :taylormade-small: P7mc 4-P (2* flat) Nippon NS Pro (Reg)

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 50,55,60 SB (2* flat) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom 12

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

Launch Monitor: Flightscope Mevo+

1 minute ago, c_zoid said:

yeah i feel like the smaller places give you a little more attention. also they have second hand stuff for cheaper too. they dont just sell the $550 drivers.

I remember one guy saying, “If I’m a great fitter why am I going to work at a big brand store when I can charge less and make more being independent?”.

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

3 hours ago, Tyler17 said:

Consider splitting the bag fitting up. I understand it is nice to be fitted in a day but if you are taking 10-15 swing for a driver, hybrid/iron/wedge, figure you test 4-5 products and 3-4 different shaft combos it can add up quickly and become fatiguing. The products later may fit you at the time but your swing may change as fatigue could set in. Just something to consider

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

5 hours ago, RobbyT said:

If there are any club champion locations there, I would recommend that.

I would NOT recommend Club Champion, you can do better IME. I got a driver fitting there that wasn't worth the cost, and I'm back to my OEM shaft. Their methodology sounded OK but it was biased toward recommending a change, needed or not.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Consider splitting the bag fitting up. I understand it is nice to be fitted in a day but if you are taking 10-15 swing for a driver, hybrid/iron/wedge, figure you test 4-5 products and 3-4 different shaft combos it can add up quickly and become fatiguing. The products later may fit you at the time but your swing may change as fatigue could set in. Just something to consider

Good feedback, I didn’t consider that. three hours banging balls is a long time. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Tyler17 said:

Good feedback, I didn’t consider that. three hours banging balls is a long time. Thanks. 

Last thing you want is to be fit with something that doesn’t work

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

We usually go to Golf USA in NW Ark.

So many other stores just try to sell.

This is the place that does fitting for Arkansas Razorback golf team.

Robbie Newton is the pro\ fitter.

He is always going to the Taylormade factory and working on designs.

He's not much higher that the other stores that just let you hit some, and day this is best.

Go to a place with a real fitter.

Edited by Jackal

Always chasing different clubs