Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

When you need a bogie on 18 to break 80, then have a melt down

ryanokeefe

I started playing again in January this year after 10 years off.. I wouldn't even say I was a "golfer" 10 years ago. I just played once a month or so with mates and/or my Father. I never shot lower than 100.

The bug bit me hard after playing a corporate golf day at the beginning of the year, and I've been practicing and playing every chance I can get since then. My goal was to break 90 by July and 80 by New Years. Ended up breaking 90 in February but then things went down hill after things got crazy at work. Since July, I've been back into it hard! got a skytrak setup in the garage and found a new coach that seemed like he was happy to be doing his job rather than the previous.

I broke 90 again within 2 weeks and ever since, I've been focused on breaking 80. I've always lacked touch around the greens so that's been my major focus the last few months. Improving this side of my game has literally overhauled my game. Not just because I get up & down more often, but following an up & down; I'm heading to the next tee with confidence.

Last week I was playing fairly well until I bogied the 7th, double bogied the 8th and bogied the 9th. I knew breaking 80 was a long shot as my local's back 9 is much less forgiving, with lots more water and a few challenging holes!

I managed to play the last 8 holes without what I would call a "mistake". By "mistake" I mean, a shank, chunk, slice, hook, 3 putt, etc (basically unforced errors). Each stroke I made felt like I was playing 'how I should be'. 

I made it through to the 17th with 5 strokes in hand and a par 4 in my way to breaking 80. Duck hook OOB left. 3 from the tee. Made the left rough and hit a tree. 4 iron to the fringe and a 3 putt later and I finish with 81.

There are 20 different ways that I'd play the hole if I had it over again. I was hitting the ball well, with the way I was playing and I didn't want to change things that appeared to be working.

My playing partner summed it up for me. He said "Ryan... Golf. is. hard"

s*** yeah it is!

scorecard.JPG

Edited by ryanokeefe

D | :cobra-small: | SZ Xtreme 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 60g | Setting: STD-Draw
3W | :ping-small: | 2014 Rapture 13° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 70g | Setting: 13.5°
3H | :Sub70: |  939X 19° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g | Setting: STD
4i-7i | :srixon-small: | Z585 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
8i-PW | :srixon-small: | Z785 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
W's | :cleveland-small: | RTX-4 - 52° MID, 56° FULL, 60° FULL
P | :odyssey-small: | TripleTrack - Double Wide - GP SNSR Tour Grip
B | :bridgestone-small: | Tour B XS /or/ :srixon-small: | Z-Star
G | GP Z-Grip

We all have faced that situation where we need to something average to break a scoring barrier or set a personal best.

I had that type of opportunity to break 70. Par 17 and 18 for 68. 17 was a tough hole and I bogeyed it frequently. Took double. Needed birdie on a reachable par 5. Took bogey for 71.

Building that skill to be able to perform in those situations is tough. You now know you can perform on the golf course and whether it is next week, next year, or farther out, you will break that scoring barrier

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Breaking 80 ain't easy.  +7 is a hard number to achieve or even go below.  +4 on both sides and you haven't done it.  That's only 4 bogeys and that isn't a lot honestly, especially when you don't make a lot of birdies.

Golf is much more mental than it is physical, especially when you are acutely aware of the goal facing you with one hole to go.  That's why when you are up 2 with 2 to play and your opponent presses you, all of a sudden that freewheeling swing tightens up and you struggle to finish off your opponent (unless of course it's your brother, and you've spent a lifetime betting each other, and the opportunity to bludgeon him even more when he presses brings a refreshing excitement of knowing you can watch him crash and burn and double down on it).

I shot 72 on Saturday, and I'm convinced I was playing well because I spent most of the round "caddieing" around a guest to our club, who didn't know the course, or the breaks on the greens, or where to hit it, etc.  I was so laser focused on showing him the line, or helping him out that I really had no clue where I stood during the round.  Of course, it wasn't until one of my playing partners went out of his way to tell me I was -1 and had the chance to break par.  So naturally I 3-putted the last hole to bogey it and walk off with 72.

Forget the scorecard and just play golf.  That's when the 70's will come.  You can still add it up at the end.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 hour ago, ryanokeefe said:

There are 20 different ways that I'd play the hole if I had it over again. I was hitting the ball well, with the way I was playing and I didn't want to change things that appeared to be working.

There was nothing wrong with your strategy, you simply hit a couple of bad shots.  You get a bit of "recency bias" because the duck-hook came on the last hole, but you made a double earlier in the round too, you had another 3-putt.  Bad shots happen, that's life as a human golfer.  But the better you become, the less often those bad shots occur, and the less severe they are.  Keep working, keep putting yourself in the position, and you'll pass that hurdle and be looking for the next one.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

We have all been there, myself countless times where I did exactly that. Unfortunately the only way to get better at these is to continue to put yourself in these spots and then you will come through and it gets that much easier from there. Keep up the hard work sounds like you coach has helped you make some great progress.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

The first time I broke 80 I didn't know I did until the guys in the other cart (they were keeping the scores) told me.  They knew not to say anything until I finished the last hole for a 79. Then they were all clapping and patting me on the back. I was the first one of our group ever to break 80. If someone told me where I was with the score  I'm sure there would have been a different outcome. Not knowing took all the pressure off. From that day on I never kept score. Meaning I would write down the hole score but not add everything up until the end. As you get to breaking 70 that's a different story it's hard not to know. You are writing down par most of the time with a few birdies and maybe one bogie thrown in.

But I remember that last hole to break 80 to this day. Played the Wizard golf course in Myrtle Beach. It was an island tee box to and island fairway to an island green. I found out after the fact that I needed to make bogie for 79. If I knew in advance with all that water the outcome would have been a watery grave for the ball in play and a few extra strokes on the score card.

There is nothing worse then stepping up to the tee on the last hole and someone yells out all you need to do is make par to break X.  Kiss of death! For all you spies out there, think about it before yelling out what someone needs to do to achieve a goal. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

The closest I have ever come, I needed a par on 18 and I knew it. The course I was playing has a fairly difficult par 3 as the finishing hole - usually a long iron or hybrid for me. I pulled a 4 iron and stuck it about 25 feet from the pin. Knowing I needed only to two putt for a 79, I promptly 3-putted and wanted to go jump in front of a bus.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Won’t work for everyone, but I don’t pay attention to how I’m scoring while I play, every hole - every shot is a new opportunity. Sure I have a general sense when I’m playing well or not, but I deliberately don’t keep a tally where I stand. A couple weeks ago I had 44 on the front but all I knew was I wasn’t playing well. I lit it up on the last 7 holes and had 36 on the back. Knowing my score, especially on the last hole, would more likely make my score worse, not better. I’ve broken 80 about a half dozen times this year, didn’t really realize it until after. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

21 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The first time I broke 80 I didn't know I did until the guys in the other cart (they were keeping the scores) told me.  They knew not to say anything until I finished the last hole for a 79. Then they were all clapping and patting me on the back. I was the first one of our group ever to break 80. If someone told me where I was with the score  I'm sure there would have been a different outcome. Not knowing took all the pressure off. From that day on I never kept score. Meaning I would write down the hole score but not add everything up until the end. As you get to breaking 70 that's a different story it's hard not to know. You are writing down par most of the time with a few birdies and maybe one bogie thrown in.

But I remember that last hole to break 80 to this day. Played the Wizard golf course in Myrtle Beach. It was an island tee box to and island fairway to an island green. I found out after the fact that I needed to make bogie for 79. If I knew in advance with all that water the outcome would have been a watery grave for the ball in play and a few extra strokes on the score card.

There is nothing worse then stepping up to the tee on the last hole and someone yells out all you need to do is make par to break X.  Kiss of death! For all you spies out there, think about it before yelling out what someone needs to do to achieve a goal. 

Not knowing your score is the key, for sure.  Although my wife keeps our scores, I know my score in my head.  That wasn't always the case.  When I was a bogey golfer, I was playing with my buddies in Phoenix at the Wildfire GC Palmer course at the JW Marriott where we had a professional society meeting.  I wasn't keeping score and didn't even know I was playing that well; just having a good time.  Near the end of the round I hit driver left into the desert by a wall next to a house.  My buddy said, "well, there goes your good round."  I had a shot to the green but had to go under a tree.  Bladed an 8i that ran through a bunker and across the green into the rough.  Chipped it in for birdie!  I went on to shoot my only under par round in my life... 69, which for a bogey golfer is just pure luck.  Never had a round like that since, because I know what my score is after every hole whether I want to know or not.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I won't argue with the suggestions to avoid keeping score, but there's another part of this.  There are lots of times on the golf course that we feel pressure, that we get nervous.  Its important to learn to accept the nerves, and find a way to get through it.  This situation is no different than playing a match and coming to the 18th tee all square.  Its not much different than needing a 6-footer to win a competition.  Heck, its no different that standing on the FIRST tee on your once-in-a-lifetime trip to play the Old Course.  We all need to learn how to hit a decent shot even when we feel the pressure.  

Now I can't tell you HOW to do that, other than through experience.  But the best way to hit good shots under pressure is to learn to hit good shots all the time.  The better your swing is, the better you'll perform under pressure.  To me, pressure is to some extent the fear of "failure".  If I am confident in my success, based on simply being a better player, the pressure is diminished.  I can look at myself, recognize that I feel some pressure, and decide that I will simply go out and hit a good shot just like every other good shot I've ever hit.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

“I just stay in the moment…I never think one hole ahead. I’m not thinking about tomorrow. I’m not thinking about the next shot. I’m just thinking about what I’ve got to do right then and there. It’s very simple.” – Brooks Koepka

FYI... That was included at the start of a newsletter I received (from David MacKenzie, mental game coach, golfstateofmind.com) .. the article was titled, "How To Free Your Mind And Play Your Best Golf" and can be found at.. https://golfstateofmind.com/free-mind-play-best-golf-email/

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 12/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, DaveP043 said:

But the best way to hit good shots under pressure is to learn to hit good shots all the time.  The better your swing is, the better you'll perform under pressure.  To me, pressure is to some extent the fear of "failure".  If I am confident in my success, based on simply being a better player, the pressure is diminished.  I can look at myself, recognize that I feel some pressure, and decide that I will simply go out and hit a good shot just like every other good shot I've ever hit.

^ That ^ is really great!! Thx 👍
...I'm saving that into the Notes on my smartphone for future, and continued, reference!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

^ That ^ is really great!! Thx 👍
...I'm saving that into the Notes on my smartphone for future, and continued, reference!

Maybe Yes... Maybe No.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:56 AM, DaveP043 said:

Now I can't tell you HOW to do that, other than through experience.  But the best way to hit good shots under pressure is to learn to hit good shots all the time.  The better your swing is, the better you'll perform under pressure.  To me, pressure is to some extent the fear of "failure".  If I am confident in my success, based on simply being a better player, the pressure is diminished.  I can look at myself, recognize that I feel some pressure, and decide that I will simply go out and hit a good shot just like every other good shot I've ever hit.

Well, I'm screwed!  I am admittedly a poor ball ball striker.  I have been trying to learn how to hit better shots for over 20 years.  Time is running out!!  Yes, I am better than I was 20 years ago after taking lots of lessons, going to golf schools, spending lots of time practicing, and playing 3-4 times a week.  I don't consider myself to be a "better player", and to go out and hit a good shot just like every other good shot I've ever hit isn't going to work.  I feel lucky to hit two good shots in a row, so I can't count on it when I need one.  Maybe that's a difference between a 5 and a 10.

This is probably the reason I play my best rounds when I am distracted, not keeping score, and enjoying rounds with friends rather than tournament golf.  Gave that up years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law had an even BIGGER meltdown.

Shoots 38 in front 9, followed by a 48 in the back, with a birdie on 18th, so it was not all that bad.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

Before I ever broke 80 I had many rounds where I 3 putted for an 79 or missed a 3 footer for a 79. Very frustrating. 

#17 and #18 at my home course are tough birdies and tough pars when you have a solid round going. Par 3 then a par 5. Ive shot over par on these two holes to  miss shooting a par round several times. 

The pain is real. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 12/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, DaveP043 said:

There are lots of times on the golf course that we feel pressure, that we get nervous.  Its important to learn to accept the nerves, and find a way to get through it.  This situation is no different than playing a match and coming to the 18th tee all square.  Its not much different than needing a 6-footer to win a competition.  Heck, its no different that standing on the FIRST tee on your once-in-a-lifetime trip to play the Old Course.  We all need to learn how to hit a decent shot even when we feel the pressure.  

the body doesn’t know the difference between excitement and nervousness. 

physiologically, they’re exactly the same. elevated heart rate, shallow breathing, fidgety, a little sweaty, etc. 

im not a good enough golfer to give any tips that are better than what’s been given already, but there’s a no-doubt scientific way to calm yourself down and give yourself the best chance at hitting a good shot when you need to:

for those of you who wear a smart watch, this is easily quantifiable. track your heart rate at certain times in the round. if it’s elevated, back off the ball and take 20-30 seconds of quiet, slow, deep breaths, and then return to your ball when your heart rate has come back down. 

you’ll be looser, calmer, faster, and better able to execute what you’re trying to do. 

otherwise the nerves will win 100 times out of 100. it’s just science. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

6 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Before I ever broke 80 I had many rounds where I 3 putted for an 79 or missed a 3 footer for a 79. Very frustrating. 

#17 and #18 at my home course are tough birdies and tough pars when you have a solid round going. Par 3 then a par 5. Ive shot over par on these two holes to  miss shooting a par round several times. 

The pain is real. 

No doubt that the pain is real, but consider playing a different golf course.  On this fictitious course, the most difficult holes are #12 and #15.  If you bogey those two, but par the easy 17th and 18th to shoot 73, do you have the same pain?  

6 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

for those of you who wear a smart watch, this is easily quantifiable. track your heart rate at certain times in the round. if it’s elevated, back off the ball and take 20-30 seconds of quiet, slow, deep breaths, and then return to your ball when your heart rate has come back down. 

Its probably important to realize that this isn't exactly legal under Rule 4.3a(3), which says:

Not Allowed.

Using any physiological information recorded during the round.

However, this is a great way to learn during a practice round what "nerves" feels like, and what it feels like when you've allowed your heart rate to stabilize.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Its probably important to realize that this isn't exactly legal under Rule 4.3a(3), which says:

However, this is a great way to learn during a practice round what "nerves" feels like, and what it feels like when you've allowed your heart rate to stabilize.  

thanks, Dave.  i haven’t played any competition golf, so i didn’t even think how that would apply

the watch/tracker recommendation is more for people who haven’t ever monitored their heart rate before, and like you said is a good way to put a feeling together with some data. 

once you’ve done it a few times (even away from the course) you can feel how it works and don’t need the data feedback anymore. 

i’m assuming that as long as you don’t stand there in a trance for 5 minutes, there isn’t a rule against calming yourself down, is there?

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

One of the hardest things to do in this game is separate the results from the strategy or approach. Just because you didn't execute doesn't mean you should do anything different. As you get more opportunities they become less daunting. Sounds like you have made great progress in the last year, keep the positive thoughts and build on what you do good. The results will come with time. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Just now, Chip Strokes said:

thanks, Dave.  i haven’t played any competition golf, so i didn’t even think how that would apply

the watch/tracker recommendation is more for people who haven’t ever monitored their heart rate before, and like you said is a good way to put a feeling together with some data. 

once you’ve done it a few times (even away from the course) you can feel how it works and don’t need the data feedback anymore. 

i’m assuming that as long as you don’t stand there in a trance for 5 minutes, there isn’t a rule against calming yourself down, is there?

Not at all, other than the rule for delaying play.  I've learned to feel the nerves, and learned to simply take a couple of deep breaths before I take my swing.  The more often you face the nerves, the better you learn to deal with them.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Not at all, other than the rule for delaying play. 

that’s what i figured, thanks for the input 

• 3 weeks later...

I remember playing my last round of a golf trip in Myrtle Beach at the Legends resort.  I forget which of their courses I was playing (this was over a decade ago), and since it was a big group, I may have been ending up on a front 9.  But on my 17th hole, my dad pointed out that I could break 100 (for the first time ever) if I went maybe bogey bogey.  I remember there being an intimidating looking forced carry.  I popped the driver up, and it did clear the junk, but only landed maybe one or two feet onto the fairway.  Next I remember having maybe 200 into the green.  This was before I carried a hybrid, so my 3w was the only club I would have had a chance with.  I pulled the 3w out, and my dad told me to put it back and hit two irons instead.  In retrospect, that was definitely the smarter call, but I hit the 3w pretty solid, and landed just shy of the green.  I shot 99 and remembered being pretty jazzed about it.  My friend that was riding in the cart with me shot an even 100 that day, but we didn't know until we added his score up in the parking lot.

This past fall I was playing a course where my dad has a house, which is probably the course I play most often.  At that time, my best at this course was probably a 92 or so.  I started off the round with a double, and then my scorecard looked like as many doubles as pars until 15.  I hit a great drive, my second shot was a crazy long hybrid that must have got some cart path or something, because it landed about 30 yards longer than usual just shy of a drop off before a water hazard.  I hit a wedge across the water to the green and then one putted for birdie.  On the next hole I hit another great drive, really long, but it's really downhill.  Another nice wedge and putt and I had another bird.  At this point, I knew I had a better round than usual going, but I didn't think I had a shot at a personal best or anything.  I remember hitting a really nice drive and 9i on 17, but three putting for bogey.  Then on 18, I hit some decent shots, but my approach was crazy.  Maybe 2 feet from the pin from 160 out uphill.  Maybe the best 6i of my life.  I took a picture of my scorecard and uploaded it to The Grint.  After returning the cart, I looked at my phone.  87.  First time I ever broke 90.  I had no idea that was even possible.  Three months later I went out there again and despite starting out with a double double, mostly kept them off the card and ended up shooting 82.  Again, I figured I'd shot a decent round, and possible even broken 90, but it wasn't until I checked The Grint that I found out I'd shot another personal best.

So I've experienced breaking a number both ways.  Knowing it and still doing it, and having no idea it's possible.  I'd definitely recommend the latter.  I have enough to worry about on the golf course.  Playing smart is almost always the better way to go.  I can't even imagine a time that the added pressure of knowing that a milestone is within reach would help most golfers.  Maybe if there is a layup or go for it option, and you're one stroke away from the goal on 18, but I bet most players would break more milestones by not adding up the score until after the round.  In fact, if you can get an app like The Grint that adds it up for you, even better.  Then you hardly have to look at the scorecard at all.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Harbor Town this Oct. Had a bit of rain on a few holes and ended up with an 81 after all was said and done. Great drive on 18, came up a little short/left on the shot on 18, and it bounced off the embankment and back into into the hazard, got up and down for a bogey. Ok, bad luck. I had taken an extra club to make sure it cleared, but chunked it a little and came up short anyways. 

I hardly ever blame the *over* due to the last hole. There were other shots on the previous 17 that I made a worse mistake, and I find myself looking back on those shots and ... yeah, that's why. I found this really helps take pressure off of *having* to score well on 18 and adding extra pressure on holes where none should really exist. I've had other shots (doubles even) where I've messed up on earlier, and... can't blame my round on just the last hole. All those bigger mistakes happened... back there. Especially since 18 is one of the easiest holes on that course. Maybe next time HT. Maybe next time.

Edited by Imp

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter

• 2 months later...

I’ve been struggling with this barrier since returning to golf 5 months ago after being off for 4 years(filming a YouTube fishing channel). I’m now filming a golf channel and have post numerous 80’s and 81’s. 
I needed par on 18(par 5). Was 125 out for my 3rd, then proceeded to take five more strokes. Sadly, it comes out on video in the morning(Knucklehead Golf- My New Old Course Pt 3,  if anyone is interested). 

Edited by Knucklehead

Knucklehead Golf(YouTube)