TESTERS WANTED! ×

Offseason purchase? Perfect Practice Putting Mat vs. SuperSpeed Training Set?

analyticandrew

Offseason purchase? Perfect Practice Putting Mat vs. SuperSpeed Training Set?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Looking to better my game this "offseason" (I'll be playing all winter if weather allows) - Which do you think I should buy? And why?

• Perfect Practice Putting Mat
    • SuperSpeed Training Set

Looking to better my game this "offseason" (I'll be playing all winter if weather allows) - Which do you think I should buy? And why?

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

Looking to better my game this "offseason" (I'll be playing all winter if weather allows) - Which do you think I should buy? And why?

What do you mean by “Better” your game?

Superspeed is great to increase swing speed which may or may not better your game. Distance is always good, but may not result in better scores.

I am not a fan of putting mats. What skill are you trying to improve? They just lack the variability that is needed to really improve a skill. it could help with mechanics but I think gates or startline drills are better tools. The mat would only help you you don’t have a good surface. The only way to improve distance control indoors would be if you have 20’+ to do speed drills. Or an exputt; which I think is great.

Between the two options you provided I would go with superspeed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Studies have shown that for amateurs distance is key to lower scores.  Yes putting matters, but right now distance is king. I saw from some good sources on twitter the other day that hitting the ball 350 yards is better for your scoring than having every 12' and in putt be a gimmie.  That was even for tour pros, so if I am doing anything it is getting longer.  I have the super speed sticks and just purchased the Super Speed C Counterweight club to add in this winter. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

48 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

Not much to go on.  If you hit the ball fairly straight, but not as far as you like, then SuperSpeed is a good option.  I have it, and it works.  If you spray the ball everywhere, then I would recommend not getting it this year and instead, spend the money on lessons.

As for putting...  if you can play all winter, I recommend the many putting drills online or do a search of the forums.  Perform them on your regular practice green.  So, no to the putting mat unless you can't putt outside.

Personally, if the goal is to "better" your game during the offseason, then I would spend most of the winter taking lessons, working on what your instructor tells you, practicing putting, and practicing chips and pitches instead of playing.  I know we all like to play, especially with friends and family, but when you play to keep score, you swing differently than during your on-range drills.  If you make this offseason a time for practice, then your game will be much better in the spring.  My 2 cents.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The only advice I have is to make sure you are in good shape for the swing speed exercises. I injured my upper back using them and the pain lasted about 2 months. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

4 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

The only advice I have is to make sure you are in good shape for the swing speed exercises. I injured my upper back using them and the pain lasted about 2 months. 

And do a proper, extensive warm-up before each session. 

My vote is SuperSpeed or EXPUTT. A mat is only useful for start line, buy a ruler for $5 from the hardware store and putt off that unless there are 0 surfaces in your house you can roll balls on. If so, go buy a $20 rug/floor mat plus ruler and build your own SuperSpeed set (lots of forum posts) and do both for less than the cost of SS. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Guess more info would be very helpful. 

• I hit the ball mostly straight, I used to be an assistant pro about 20 years ago and my swing is solid. Do I have a “miss” time and again? Yes. It’s mostly a double-cross to the left. Will I be getting lessons? No. 

• I play to about a 5 handicap and play only once a week or so. Time with my family is precious so I don’t spend a lot of time away from them if I can help it. 

• I used to hit 300+ every drive and a PW 155+. Now I’m in the 280 range and PW 145 or so. 

• I have never been a great putter. Average 30+ putts a round. Been this way most of my life. Even when I was playing a lot, I would be fairways and greens and make one now and again. 

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

Guess more info would be very helpful. 
  • I hit the ball mostly straight, I used to be an assistant pro about 20 years ago and my swing is solid. Do I have a “miss” time and again? Yes. It’s mostly a double-cross to the left. Will I be getting lessons? No. 

• I play to about a 5 handicap and play only once a week or so. Time with my family is precious so I don’t spend a lot of time away from them if I can help it. 

• I used to hit 300+ every drive and a PW 155+. Now I’m in the 280 range and PW 145 or so. 

• I have never been a great putter. Average 30+ putts a round. Been this way most of my life. Even when I was playing a lot, I would be fairways and greens and make one now and again. 

So you’d like to get distance back. Checkmark for superspeed.

Why do you think you are a bad putter? What is you issue and why do you think a putting mat will help you?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For the price and improvement to your game, SuperSpeed. You can use cheap putting aids (like a 48" ruler) to help with your stroke and impact but it's tough to replicate the potential gain in yards from SS. Sure, you can DIY some SS sticks, but @cnosil is correct in his assessment. I have a BirdieBall PuttUp that has been great for my speed on the greens, but I still rely on simple training aids for my stroke and impact. 

And while my high level putting stats (total putts per round) show I'm not the greatest putter, a closer look shows I'm hitting a bunch of GIRs (which is great), but I'm not hitting the ball close enough to the pin on my approach and chips shots (which is not so great). And this is why if I ever win the lottery, I'm building my own par 3 course to improve iron and wedge play. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Count me as another for Superspeed for many of the reasons that have already been brought up. Distance is very important and the Superspeed protocols dont take tons of time from ur day and can be done anywhere and anytime of year.

I think a place to putt in the off-season can be a super valuable tool but personal I’m not a fan of the Perfect Practice Putting Mat for a few reasons and it’s one of the last mats I would recommend unless ur space can’t fit anything else. The idea behind it is great with all of the distances, lines and 2 cup sizes but in my experience it’s frankly too easy to make putts. even on the undersized cup. Plus I have a personal distaste for sloped putting mats and don’t think they are very beneficial if at all. If u have the space for it and really want to truly have a setup to grind your putting with in the off-season, get a mat from someone like BirdieBall that is at least 10ft x 10ft or bigger and add subtle contours urself. I would make sure to have a cup cut right in the center that you can fill because  at that size you can hit meaningful length putts from anywhere on the mat and even do clock style putting drills from all sides of the hole. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I would say SuperSpeed is the winner except for one comment that you made in your intro “time is precious”. SuperSpeed takes time - at least 30 minutes 3 days a week perhaps closer to 45. Doesn’t sound like much it throw I work, a busier lifestyle, time changes and all of a sudden it can get tricky. You need some discipline and planning to get the maximum benefits.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lockdown in CA, I bought both last year lol. I'd pick the putting mat.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Blue TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

I have the PP putting mat and enjoy it and think it can be a valuable tool. I worked a lot on my putting during the initial Covid shutdown and my putting was one of my strongest parts of my game this past year. 

Lemme throw in one more thought (and I just checked the beginning of the thread; by this point you have already likely made a decision): consider your space. I don't have any good place to do SuperSpeed at home (I use my DIY SuperSpeed sticks in the church building). I can putt at home. If space is a consideration indoors in the winter, that might be a reason to go with the putting practice.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

56 minutes ago, Golfism said:

I had to putt over the winter and was tired of my straight putt mat, so I decided to carpet a room with Camry carpet. Rolls so well - Loving it so far 

thumbnail_image0.jpg

sweet set up!  Did you raise the floor or cut down into the floor for the holes?  Definitely looks like a proper practice area that's for sure. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, BNewton51 said:

sweet set up!  Did you raise the floor or cut down into the floor for the holes?  Definitely looks like a proper practice area that's for sure. 

Used Sound Solutions LV multipurpose underlayment! easy to work with - and then just covered the underlayment with the trunk carpet. All In I probably spent around $750. I spend at least 30 minutes a night up here.