Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist Virtual Golf Ball Fitting

Golfspy_CG2

5 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

So how did you get 3 sleeves?

Using Cobra Speedzone Extreme Driverw/ Mitsubishi Tense av Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Cobra F8 19* Hybrid w/Recoil 460 shaft, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Wilson Staff D-7 48 & 54 wedges, Cleveland Zipcore 58 wedge & Slotline SSI693 putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

One is for me to let my golfers try, I coach HS golf. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Great jd, they should give you a box full.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8 (12*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” Slotline SSi 693 Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

Aww damn, I do too...even asked about what ball they would recommend for young players...no extra samples here.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

So my round got washed out by the ridiculous weather we've had over the past few days in Houston...

But I did go to my GC Quad hookup and run some prelim numbers on the three different golf balls...my current gamer the Bridgestone Tour B X, and the two recommended TItleist golf balls, the Left Dash Pro V1x and AVX. 

I hit 10 shots with each club and kept the 5 best of each ball. These are the averages with my Mizuno JPX 921 SEL Gap wedge, 7 iron and my TM SIM 10.5* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 05 flex. 

2065787124_BallTest2021.JPG.a8b978b1ccff347ff57a51061c7aae4c.JPG

Now keep in mind this was my first pass at the left dash and AVX and this was indoors. The Left Dash and Bridgestone Tour B X felt about the same as far as firmness goes. The AVX was noticeably softer in feel...and we can all see what softer equates to. 

I will say one thing about the lower spinning Left Dash and AVX, they are not as accurate off the driver than the higher spinning Bridgestone. Sure, they fly a long way and roll out well, but the Tour B X was much easier to keep in the fairway. 

And if I'm going to choose a ball based on driver stats, I will be going against what Drew recommended and I'm 100% confident he knows more about what to look in a golf ball than I do. 

I'm curious to see how they perform out on the course once it dries out some. I'm actually looking for a lower spin ball with good green side spin control so I'm intrigued by the Titleist offerings. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

12 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

So my round got washed out by the ridiculous weather we've had over the past few days in Houston...

But I did go to my GC Quad hookup and run some prelim numbers on the three different golf balls...my current gamer the Bridgestone Tour B X, and the two recommended TItleist golf balls, the Left Dash Pro V1x and AVX. 

I hit 10 shots with each club and kept the 5 best of each ball. These are the averages with my Mizuno JPX 921 SEL Gap wedge, 7 iron and my TM SIM 10.5* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 05 flex. 

0?ui=2&ik=3948edea12&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1689824076499110282&th=1773760b64a1c98a&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ_4HcyMH3Sag3rR9NylP8lth3KoAFhH1wWSIEOfEuafQHTU42cyEAwp1xY7VYpLdT_ZkWezenxu-9uX9I_Dj62lZG8XHMMMzgVU2UjEsWtwfSmWndYC3ejLQJU&ats=2524608000000&sz=w1920-h932

Now keep in mind this was my first pass at the left dash and AVX and this was indoors. The Left Dash and Bridgestone Tour B X felt about the same as far as firmness goes. The AVX was noticeably softer in feel...and we can all see what softer equates to. 

I will say one thing about the lower spinning Left Dash and AVX, they are not as accurate off the driver than the higher spinning Bridgestone. Sure, they fly a long way and roll out well, but the Tour B X was much easier to keep in the fairway. 

And if I'm going to choose a ball based on driver stats, I will be going against what Drew recommended and I'm 100% confident he knows more about what to look in a golf ball than I do. 

I'm curious to see how they perform out on the course once it dries out some. I'm actually looking for a lower spin ball with good green side spin control so I'm intrigued by the Titleist offerings. 

dont pick a ball based on driver stats!!!

Golf is cool

12 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

A ball should be picked on what works best all around. Picking one based on one type of shot whether it be off the tee or on the short game won’t find the ball thats best for you other than for that particular shot. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Maybe my wording was a bit confusing...

I have no desire to pick a ball solely based on driver performance. My initial impression between the golf balls on a launch monitor showed very similar carry yards but at different launch windows and spin characteristics in the short and mid iron test. Where I saw the balls start to separate from one another was off the tee. 

I will still give these balls the proper test out on the course, but just solely looking at ball characteristics on a launch monitor show a very similar ball on the wedge and 7 iron but they raise an eyebrow off the driver. 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I will still give these balls the proper test out on the course, but just solely looking at ball characteristics on a launch monitor show a very similar ball on the wedge and 7 iron but they raise an eyebrow off the driver. 

This is what jumped out to me. Some mild differences on the 7i but the driver was pretty significant. Based on those numbers, the left dash looks like a clear winner to me. BUT golf isn't played on a sim; really interested to hear how your on-course testing goes!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

9 hours ago, Tsecor said:

dont pick a ball based on driver stats!!!

That was among the first things David brought up in our conversation.  Of course, I already knew this because I spend time on MGS 👍.  I still haven't done the test he suggested; ProV1's vs. Velocity from about 30-40 yards. He's pretty sure I'll see a difference at this level of ball design/construction/attributes.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A ball should be picked on what works best all around. Picking one based on one type of shot whether it be off the tee or on the short game won’t find the ball thats best for you other than for that particular shot. 

I completely agree with this comment.  I base the ball I play on a few criteria and the ball has to meet each of these.

1) Soft feel off the putter.  I loved the feel of balata off a Ping Zing or original Wilson 8813 back in the day and this feel is ingrained in my golfer's soul.  A ball must have a soft feel of the putter, never clicky, or I simply cannot play it.  (Yes, mind game).

2) I must be able to generate spin on shots within 60-80 yards and in.  If I am hitting a punch wedge into a green I have to know if, struck correctly, the ball will take a hop or two and check up.  The ball must generate decent spin on flop shots.  In short, I have to have the ability to control the spin on well struck shots.

3) The ball must be able to hold the flight into the wind and not have a tendency to wander.  I often play shaped shots (draws and fades) and sometimes will play a shot into the wind.  I do not want a ball that produces too much spin off woods and long/mid irons that would be a detriment to the shaped shot I play.  I don't want to play a ball that balloons up tee'd up or from the fairway.

I have found a ball that meets all that criteria but it is not made from Titleist.  I was a Titleist player from essentially the time I started playing golf (or very shortly after starting) until 2014.  I had tried other balls but nothing replaced the Titleist Tour Balata, Titleist Prestige, Titleist Professional, Titleist ProV1 until I found a ball that worked better for me.  Am I willing to try the new ProV1?  Certainly.  I am always looking for a ball that works for my game but in the past 6 1/2 years I have not had to.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 1/22/2021 at 1:50 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I guess they didn't like me. I didn't get three sample packs, only two. Didn't get a single 2021 model ball either.  

I retract.….. I received an email from Drew yesterday following up on my fitting. Then he mentioned that he received some sample packs of the new Pro V1 and sent me some. The doorbell just rang and it was Fed Ex with the golf balls.

Now that's great customer service.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I retract.….. I received an email from Drew yesterday following up on my fitting. Then he mentioned that he received some sample packs of the new Pro V1 and sent me some. The doorbell just rang and it was Fed Ex with the golf balls.

That is nice service and nice of Drew to do for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm still waiting for mine. Had a call with David on Friday the 22nd. Turns out he lives nearby and said he'd swing by and drop a couple of sleeves of Pro V1x off, as well as a couple pink ones for my daughter in the mailbox. But alas, haven't seen any yet...or the mailman stole them one day.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, Watchnut33 said:

Just booked my appointment, interested to see what they say. I switched from callaway to titleist earlier this year, first velocity then tour speed. 

Had my fitting with Connor. We talked through what I’ve played, how I ended up on the tour speed and he suggested comparing it to the new ProV. I’ve tried ProV1x before but never really the ProV1. Interested to see how it compares. 

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

I’ve still got to do this!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I am debating on doing this, not because of free balls but because of always wanting to play a terrific ball.  We will see.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

26 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

I am debating on doing this, not because of free balls but because of always wanting to play a terrific ball.  We will see.

Why debate? It’s free and takes 30 mins. You don’t lose anything for doing it but you gain at a minimum some product knowledge and you have to chance to see what ball potentially fits your game. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why debate? It’s free and takes 30 mins. You don’t lose anything for doing it but you gain at a minimum some product knowledge and you have to chance to see what ball potentially fits your game. 

That is true.  I have a ball I really love and it works for me.  I don't care whether something is free or not.  That is not the point for me.  It is whether the product truly fits my game, being a ball or irons or putter or woods.  Then again, you're absolutely right in that it doesn't cost anything so what is there to lose, except the 4 dozen balls I have that I currently game?  If I like the new ProV1 and make a change then I guess my shag bag just got a bit fuller.  😄

Edited by RobotDoctor

2 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

That is true.  I have a ball I really love and it works for me.  I don't care whether something is free or not.  That is not the point for me.  It is whether the product truly fits my game, being a ball or irons or putter or woods.  Then again, you're absolutely right in that it doesn't cost anything so what is there to lose, except the 4 dozen balls I have that I currently game?  If I like the new ProV1 and make a change then I guess my shag bag just got a bit fuller.  😄

the good thing is you have a ball you like and can tell the fitter why and you get fit describe your game as well. Another good thing is you you get to see if what the fitter recommends is better for you at no cost with the trial pack.

Bonus is you get a nice shag bag full of new balls or you play out those 4 dozen then get the titleist ball the fits

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

the good thing is you have a ball you like and can tell the fitter why and you get fit describe your game as well. Another good thing is you you get to see if what the fitter recommends is better for you at no cost with the trial pack.

Bonus is you get a nice shag bag full of new balls or you play out those 4 dozen then get the titleist ball the fits

For me it is about what ball best fits my game.  While I abhor throwing money away, I really don't like playing products that do not work for me just to save a dollar (or few).  To me that is throwing money away.  Ok, I think you may have convinced me that I will take advantage of the fitting.  Why not?

15 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

For me it is about what ball best fits my game.  While I abhor throwing money away, I really don't like playing products that do not work for me just to save a dollar (or few).  To me that is throwing money away.  Ok, I think you may have convinced me that I will take advantage of the fitting.  Why not?

Cool. I think you will like the experience even if you don’t end up using the ball.

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Cool. I think you will like the experience even if you don’t end up using the ball.

LOL!!!! I just noticed your signature.  You're a Titleist *****!  And I mean that in a good way.  😅🤣😅

Just now, RobotDoctor said:

LOL!!!! I just noticed your signature.  You're a Titleist *****!  And I mean that in a good way.  😅🤣😅

Haha the funny thing is that bag isn’t even what I’m playing anymore. I just never update it because I don’t have a set bag. 

I have a tm m1 430 tour driver in a bag with vokeys and 680mb

i have the bag I used most of this past season that is Miura irons and putter, tiger wedges and mg2 gw with sim driver and 3w and m5 5w

working on a bag that will have pxg driver, hybrid and irons and then will out the Tm woods and wedges in there. 

I play mostly Prov1 but use tp5/5x and experimented with bridgestone this past year for the first time in awhile

all 3 bags will see time on the course. 

12 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Come to think of it since that bag and before my current setups I’ve had more vokeys, p790, ping i210 and pxg gen2 irons. C400 driver, g410 hybrid and fw.

and have also added a seemore putter this year

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Come to think of it since that bag and before my current setups I’ve had more vokeys, p790, ping i210 and pxg gen2 irons. C400 driver, g410 hybrid and fw.

and have also added a seemore putter this year

It's funny that we are all on the quest for bettering our games.  The longest time in my bag goes to my hybrid and putter, both put in the bag in 2014 (summer for the hybrid and fall for the putter).  The 58° wedge since 2015 or 2016. 

Exactly!
It’s not really for the free balls which is great but to discuss with a Pro your game and what you’re looking for in a ball.
I’m scheduled for next week and looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Exactly!
It’s not really for the free balls which is great but to discuss with a Pro your game and what you’re looking for in a ball.
I’m scheduled for next week and looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Fitting was supposed to happen 9:00am. No call, email, text nothing.
Disappointed.

Rick

Left Hand, 

19 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Fitting was supposed to happen 9:00am. No call, email, text nothing.
Disappointed.

There should have been a link to a zoom call in your confirmation email to use.

I finally took the Left Dash and AVX out on the course to compete with the Bridgestone Tour B X...

AVX is definitely a soft(er) feeling golf ball from tee to green. If I had just played the AVX and my Bridgestone, it would be very similar in ball flight and ball performance. It is softer in feel so some might not like that in a ball but it didn't really bother me that much. It did take a few swings to get comfortable with the feel because I felt like I really struck it well but the softer feel felt like the ball wouldn't travel as far...but it did. 

Left Dash...a beast off the tee, holds true in the wind, great spin on full swing approach shots, but the green side spin is non existent. I've never seen a ball hold so well on full shots but when it comes to touch around the green, nada. I thought it was due to the fact that I was playing on dormant Bermuda and the grain isn't as prevalent but I could hold the Bridgestone without issue. The Bridgestone had great response on chips and reacted like I'm accustomed to. If I want to game the Left Dash, I will need to allow for much more roll out or rely on ball flight to stop on the green, not so much spin. I will probably keep up with this ball once the weather warms up and we get into a wetter Spring here in Houston. With softer greens, this ball might perform better. 

I will say that both Titleist balls fell just short on the durability compared to Bridgestone. Full wedges seem to scuff the cover easier and deeper than on the Bridgestone. However...first tee...brand new Left Dash sitting on the tee...hit it right on the button and the ball is just soaring...and flies right onto the cart path. First swing = scuffed ball. Thanks golf gods. 

• Lefty