Titleist Virtual Golf Ball Fitting

Our Sponsors

3 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

He mentioned their research hasn’t shown swing speed to be a determining factor in what ball you should play comparative to the metrics listed. 

Well, that would explain that... except that so many ball mfg.'s on-line fitting tools ask for average driver distance, which I would presume is used in some back calculation involving average correlating swing speed/ball speed.  Further, most of the marketing info says something about "for swing speeds above or below..." .  Hey, I'm not really arguing with you here as, quite honestly, I am still among those who are not seeing appreciable differences between the more popular balls.  I'm trying too, really I am 🙂.

I'm going to tell the Titleist fitter tomorrow exactly that.  Most recently, Chromesoft vs. Snell MTB Black vs. ProV1 vs. V1x vs. Maxfli Tour vs. Bridgestone B RX yield no obvious standout - tee to green.  This past Saturday,  I grabbed one of the Titleist Tour Softs from a complimentary sleeve at the Pro/Am event and played it most of the back nine. I did not notice any significant difference with that ball either (maybe a bit shorter off the tee).  I did like the unique alignment mark though... it has a engineering aspect to it 👍.

image.png.5036f221992e51554e281f3ae3c5aed4.png

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I did this today, and it was a very valuable 30 minutes.  Loved every minute of it.   Titleist is offering virtual golf ball fittings for free.  You get a 30 minute  zoom call with a member from th

Had my conference call with David Bustamante this morning.  Great chat and honestly wish those could happen a little more frequently during the work week! Started off talking about my game, since

Did you ask him for a few hundred dozen of the Left Dot Pro-V1’s...?  Asking for a friend.

Posted Images

On 12/16/2020 at 5:30 PM, fozcycle said:

Got my Appt.......Jan 6 @ 1:00

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

How’d it go?

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Never used Zoom before.  The email confirmation from Titleist has a direct link to join the meeting at the designated time.  I should have a PhD in WebEx use from my working days but that seems like a lifetime ago already.  Do I need to sign up with Zoom, create an account, ???  Thanks

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Never used Zoom before.  The email confirmation from Titleist has a direct link to join the meeting at the designated time.  I should have a PhD in WebEx use from my working days but that seems like a lifetime ago already.  Do I need to sign up with Zoom, create an account, ???  Thanks

no need to signup for an account. I downloaded app on my phone and used the link in the email. If you want a zoom account tho you can create one

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Had my fitting yesterday afternoon and it was really fun! He asked about my game and we talked about what I like/don't like with my current gamer as well other balls I've tried. By the end of the call we were talking about how he thinks the issue isn't my ball but my irons. He's sending a sleeve of ProV1s because of putting and greenside performance but told me the new ProV1s (which he can't send out for another 3 weeks) would be an even better fit for my game based on some of the changes they've made.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
50*, 54*, 60* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

Had a great fun talk with David this morning about golf and golf ball tech. In the end, it was no surprise to me that I'm a V1X guy and will likely always be a V1X guy because of needing that high launch and spin. He talked to me a bit about the fitting philosophy at Titleist, talked a bit about the rumor from a while ago that Titleist "flipped the balls" and said it wasn't true, they just worked in taking the balloon out of the V1 to flatten it a bit off the tee. 

We also talked a bit about the give and take of ball manufacturing and how Titleist is trying to give it all. He said my current gamer, the BXS is great around the green and off the irons, but off the driver it's a bit softer and can spin a bit more off the driver which might be costing me a bit off the tee. Perhaps the most interesting thing he told me was that Titleist is totally cool with its ball people expensing other balls and testing them against the new stuff so that way they can speak more eloquently to consumers which is nifty.

So I have a couple of Yellow V1X coming to me which is awesome and am excited to hear about the new 2021 line launching at the end of the month. That buy 3 get 1 sale might not be able to get here soon enough.

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 14*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 17.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

2 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

talked a bit about the rumor from a while ago that Titleist "flipped the balls" and said it wasn't true, they just worked in taking the balloon out of the V1 to flatten it a bit off the tee. 

He might want to check with the R&D guys because they confirmed it in an interview

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

He might want to check with the R&D guys because they confirmed it in an interview

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html

Well, considering he's the West Coast Ball Fitter for the company, I kinda trust him. 😀

Maybe I wasn't as clear as translating what he said to me into my words which is my bad, the conversation was just so cool. He said that the rumor that the pro v1 of current just became the old v1x with a different stamp and vice versa wasn't true, they just worked on engineering to even up those spin profiles to take the higher spinning driver shot out of the ball while keeping spin consistent through the bag while working on achieving lift with dimple patterns.

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 14*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 17.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

25 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Well, considering he's the West Coast Ball Fitter for the company, I kinda trust him. 😀

Maybe I wasn't as clear as translating what he said to me into my words which is my bad, the conversation was just so cool. He said that the rumor that the pro v1 of current just became the old v1x with a different stamp and vice versa wasn't true, they just worked on engineering to even up those spin profiles to take the higher spinning driver shot out of the ball while keeping spin consistent through the bag while working on achieving lift with dimple patterns.

The spin profiles is why several pros switched to the Prov1 from the 1x. 

It is correct they didn’t just swap labels and yes they used design to bring the balls closer together but regardless of what David says the linked article explains not only the switch between the two bald, but when and how they did it

Just completed my meeting with David.  Definitely a great idea on Titleist's behalf and worth your time if on the fence to take advantage of the promotion. 

So I explained that, much to the amazement of my fellow MGS's, I struggle to see any appreciable difference between top shelf tour balls.  That you folks talk about zeroing in on a particular ball and yield payouts in performance.  After a few questions he simply stated "don't take this the wrong way, but you are among the worst/most challenging type player to fit a ball too".  Moreover, I don't discern much difference in sound or feel.  He went on to say that my ball flight and ability to hold greens, virtually throughout the bag, makes the differences so subtle.  On the plus side is that I'm able choose by price a bit more than most.  One test he suggested, in attempt to find a threshold, would be to do some short yardage chipping, 30-40 yards out, with the ProV1 and Velocity.  He expects I'll see some reduced holding ability; citing a -1500 rpm spin rate on robot tests.

He still thinks the ProV1 is my best fit and is sending a couple of two-packs my way.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So I explained that, much to the amazement of my fellow MGS's, I struggle to see any appreciable difference between top shelf tour balls.  That you folks talk about zeroing in on a particular ball and yield payouts in performance.  After a few questions he simply stated "don't take this the wrong way, but you are among the worst/most challenging type player to fit a ball too".  Moreover, I don't discern much difference in sound or feel.  He went on to say that my ball flight and ability to hold greens, virtually throughout the bag, makes the differences so subtle. 

Sounds like how my discussion may go; eager for my appointment to get here. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

One test he suggested, in attempt to find a threshold, would be to do some short yardage chipping, 30-40 yards out, with the ProV1 and Velocity.  He expects I'll see some reduced holding ability; citing a -1500 rpm spin rate on robot tests.

In my fitting, he was between ProV1 and AVX. I had tried the first gen AVX and hated it, largely due to my inability to control spin on partial shots. (A crisp chip should have some grab to it and then trickle out and I was getting big hops and run that looked more like playing a 2-piece ball.) He said the newer version has added more greenside spin, but it's still lower spin than ProV1. So I should start with V1 and if I've still got too much spin on full swings, try the new AVX and see if the cover changes work for me.

• Like 1

4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
3i-PW

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)

All clubs RH

Tested:

I'm on it.  That is pretty cool.  I would not expect that from Titleist since they are the number 1 ball played.  I'm going to give it a try as well!  Thanks for the heads up Rob.  My appointment is set up for Thursday at 4, can't wait.  I've been looking for a ball to play for a few seasons now.  Tried the Bridgestone two seasons ago, Srixon this season and just bought a box of Snell's.  I've played Pro V1x for a number of years so it will be interesting to see what they say. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

I have my appointment Wednesday at 10 am.  It should be interesting. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Thanks to all for the input on the virtual fitting. Made an appointment for Jan. 13. I am excited to hear what the fitter has to say for me with regards to the left dash. I play the Pro V1 and have dabbled with the VX, but I found it to be too clicky off of my irons. It's really a feel thing for me, so we will see.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

On 1/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, BKordon said:

Thanks to all for the input on the virtual fitting. Made an appointment for Jan. 13. I am excited to hear what the fitter has to say for me with regards to the left dash. I play the Pro V1 and have dabbled with the VX, but I found it to be too clicky off of my irons. It's really a feel thing for me, so we will see.

If you think the X is too clicky, the left dash is even moreso. In my appt I mentioned I gravitate towards low-spin/high-launch balls with the driver but I also struggle with irons spinning too much. I told him I love the Z Star XV except for one thing: putting. It's very clicky and mentally I just struggle to get the right feel for distance. He told me that ball performance on the putter is basically identical across balls but it's so psychological that on this reason alone, he'd eliminate left dash from contention for me. "It doesn't matter if you hit every green in regulation if you 3-putt half of them."

• Like 2

3i-PW

All clubs RH

Tested:

On 1/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, BKordon said:

56 minutes ago, greggarner said:

If you think the X is too clicky, the left dash is even moreso. In my appt I mentioned I gravitate towards low-spin/high-launch balls with the driver but I also struggle with irons spinning too much. I told him I love the Z Star XV except for one thing: putting. It's very clicky and mentally I just struggle to get the right feel for distance. He told me that ball performance on the putter is basically identical across balls but it's so psychological that on this reason alone, he'd eliminate left dash from contention for me. "It doesn't matter if you hit every green in regulation if you 3-putt half of them."

Yeah the left dash is more clicky compared to the prov1x and sounds like will be even more so with the new Prov1x 

when we talked balls the sound/feel with putter was a large part of our conversation and was another determining factor in recommending i stay with the Prov1 

• Like 2

How’d it go?

Excellent. We spent about 20 minutes back and forth regarding what I need in a ball and my current ball flights. He said the Pro V1x and we discussed the benefits over my current balls(Srixon Q Star Tour & Maxfli Tour). He then said I should also try the Tour Speed. So now I am playing Pro V1x and waiting fir the sample Toyr Speed to arrive. Very good use of 30 minutes.

Using Cobra Speedzone Extreme Driverw/ Mitsubishi Tense av Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Tour Edge CVX 119 4 Hybrid , Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Wilson Staff D-7 48 & 54 wedges, Cleveland Zipcore 58 wedge & Slotline SSI693 putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Signed up for Thursday at 9am. Looks like I won't be able to make my employer's zoom retirement celebration for that jacka** in tax after all! Suck it, Tony! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week.