Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Current Pro V1 vs. original Pro V1

HAC

Found this test by Rick Shiels interesting where he did not find much difference between a current Pro V1 and an original Pro V1 from 20 years ago.  (45) I DIDN'T expect this! | 20 year golf ball test! - YouTube  Might explain the rise of the internet golf ball.  If not much has changed in golf balls for 20 years, and assuming that now everything new in the original ball is off patent, then the main thing left distinguishing between top level golf balls would seem to be quality control.  Thoughts?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

13 hours ago, HAC said:

Found this test by Rick Shiels interesting where he did not find much difference between a current Pro V1 and an original Pro V1 from 20 years ago.  (45) I DIDN'T expect this! | 20 year golf ball test! - YouTube  Might explain the rise of the internet golf ball.  If not much has changed in golf balls for 20 years, and assuming that now everything new in the original ball is off patent, then the main thing left distinguishing between top level golf balls would seem to be quality control.  Thoughts?

One pretty big thing that is easy to dismiss/take for granted, which Rick pointed out, is that the newer ball is much more durable than the older ball while also being the slightest bit better in numbers.  Even if the numbers were exactly the same, to have a ball with the same performance that is 10X more durable is no small feat.  Point being, QC, as you stated, along with durability may be distinguishing characteristics to consider with the plethora of premium balls in the market now.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

Obviously, I do not plan to buy a 20 year old golf ball, but we can expect this winter to see new versions of golf balls come out and older versions on sale.  If Pro VIs have not changed in 20 years other than durability, it makes a lot of sense to look for the ones going on sale rather than the newest, greatest version.  That is my thinking unless someone talks me out of it.  

In the last couple of years, I can only think of a couple of major changes in golf balls:

1.  Titleist and TaylorMade have come out with Urethane covers for lower priced golf balls (Srixon has had this longer)

and 

2.  The Bridgestone ball this year was supposed to have more spin or something (I have not played these).

Anything else from major manufacturers?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

No disrespect ( I did get suspended from another site for a similar statement) but I don't think there is more than a handful of people who read and post on this site that can discern the difference between premium golf balls. I know I cant !!!!!!!!!!!

So personally I don't pay much attention to ball marketing.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

• 3 weeks later...

The updates to the pro v1 is mostly marketing, and how the profiles of the two balls vary from year to year are described and even sometimes swap between the two models. If you look at data, like the test that TXG did between the pro v1 and X, the balls are nearly identical. The difference in spin and launch is nearly identical, so it comes down to feel and the thoughts one has about the two balls before picking which one to play.

2 hours ago, wely324 said:

The updates to the pro v1 is mostly marketing, and how the profiles of the two balls vary from year to year are described and even sometimes swap between the two models. If you look at data, like the test that TXG did between the pro v1 and X, the balls are nearly identical. The difference in spin and launch is nearly identical, so it comes down to feel and the thoughts one has about the two balls before picking which one to play.

There was a big difference between the two balls until 2017. Titleist did swap the balls in 2017 and in 2019 the balls are very similar in spin but the Prov1 will still be in a lower flight window than the 1x. 

In my ball fitting yesterday with titleist we talked about the flight windows of the two balls and how prior to 2017 the performance difference I saw in the wind made sense but since I haven’t played much with the 2017 or 19 Version of the 1x in windy conditions I didn’t have personal experience to provide him what I saw.

This interview with their r&d guy gets into the differences in the older balls and the recent changes 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1