TESTERS WANTED! ×

Time to talk about 2021 golfing goals?

tony@CIC

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

My goal for 2021 is to shoot my age (69).  It's a lofty goal, but my birthday is in September, so it will become one stroke easier then 🙂  

It's a race!!  You have to shoot lower than I do, but you have a lower index.  I've got older bones!!  😀

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 minutes ago, Mtbryant01 said:

One of my 2020 goals was to lower my handicap below 10. I’m currently sitting at a 5.5. Mission accomplished. I hit a funk in late 2019/early 2020 and had to get some lessons to fix my grip and steep swing at impact. Continual work in progress, but here are some goals for me for 2021.

1) Continue to work on my swing. I struggle to hit my 4i-6i consistently. Shallowing out and club position at impact is a focus. Matt11 

2) Consistently break 80. I have averaged a round in the 70s maybe 1 out of every 6 rounds right now.

3) Raise my GIR percentage. I’m a good scrambler and can get up and down, but I don’t like to rely on that. 

4) Stay in better shape/injury free. I finally was able to get a push cart after everything was sold out during the beginning part of Covid. Outside of a couple months with heat of the summer, I’ll be walking as much as possible.

Bonus: get rid of my hand me down Adams woods and get fit for a hybrid/wood combo.

That's a huge jump from 10 to 5.5 in less than a year!!  Nice job!  You should bottle and sell that!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Putting: way too many 3 putts. If I could pull up the cumulative data, I'll bet that I was in the high 2's (2.8?) for avg. putts/hole. According to Peltz, 40% of the strokes are putts, but a club we practice the least. That's a true statement for me. My practice sessions are in order: SW, 7i, hybrid or wood and driver. Time to change that up. How? I haven't figured that out yet but I do know that if I lowered it into an avg of low 2's that would be a breakthrough.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Even though it's been a long time since College, I still remember my Statistic's class Professor telling us; believe in God, everyone else bring data.

I lamented in my original post that I needed to make an significant improvement in putting and thought I was in the high 2's . Maybe 2.8, avg. well I figured out how to get the averages for 2020 in GHIN - the feature was put in place in 2020. Turns out I average 33 putts per 18 hole round that comes out to an average of 1.85/hole. This doesn't mean I shouldn't continue to practice putting, but more emphasis on my work with my wood/hybrid game along with my wedge game.
IMG_6105.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My goals are probably along the lines of everyone else. Get my handicap down.

However, to do that, I need some lessons and I'll be talking to one of the best pros in the area in January. I need to focus on my driver and short game.

Also looking at replacing the driver and wedges. I know what I want, I just have to see if they fit and pull the trigger.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

48 minutes ago, MattF said:

My goals are probably along the lines of everyone else. Get my handicap down.

However, to do that, I need some lessons and I'll be talking to one of the best pros in the area in January. I need to focus on my driver and short game.

Also looking at replacing the driver and wedges. I know what I want, I just have to see if they fit and pull the trigger.

Care to share more info on your instructor. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

And equipment

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Either Trent or Randy at Windmill Training Center, but I'm leaning more towards Randy as I have played with one of his students and he gave me a rundown of how he teaches.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

27 minutes ago, Rickp said:

And equipment emoji848.png

A new Driver, looking very heavily at one of the TSi's but will entertain others. I'll be doing a fitting hopefully next month. The wedges, I'm going with the Sub70 286 forged with the same Project X Catalyst 80 shaft I have in my irons. 

In the bag:

Bag: 

29 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

My goal is to get to a 15 handicap before the end of Dec 2021. Ambitious yes. 

Doable with the swing you posted today... and a good short game.  😃

2021 Goals:

1) Be realistic/Lower expectations: every year I set a goal to lower my handicap, and I do, and yet still get annoyed at myself for “hitting a plateau”. I spent most of the 2020 season lamenting that and at the end it ended up 3 strokes lower.

2) improve approach shots from 100-200 yards. This is my biggest weakness according to arccos, but see goal #1. How realistic is it to expect to hit a green from 190+ more than 5/10?

3) worry less about my score, and have more fun with my wife and friends when we’re golfing together. Save the seriousness for those solo rounds.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Doable with the swing you posted today... and a good short game.  😃

My chipping is trash, but I have also not focused on learning how to properly chip and also having a good strategy. That will be one of my focus areas for the upcoming year. I lose a lot of strokes with chipping. I currently consider a chip to be "good" if it goes onto the green, even if it is 30 feet away from the hole 🤣

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5 hours ago, MattF said:

"You can't always get what you want
 You can't always get what you want
 You can't always get what you want
 But if you try sometimes  well, you might find,
 You get what you need  
 Oh, yeah
"

- The Rolling Stones