TESTERS WANTED! ×

Opinions on shaft extensions

Was playing around with a closeout model and the numbers came back best with the stock shaft. I can’t order the stocks shafts custom length at this point (without buying shafts separately) so the option would be to add in a 1” shaft extension (and adjust lie accordingly).

What has been folks experience with that approach? Trying to gauge whether the cost savings with this route are worth it compared to waiting till the new model is released. Thanks all!

Edited by Scooby456

Swing away!

Assuming driver, a short shaft extension isn't bad.  I probably wouldn't go over an inch in length.   People sell stock shafts all the time;  why not order the driver with the other specs you need  and search for the shaft that is an inch longer.    If it is an old model it may already be on clearance prices and would be significantly less that a 2021 model. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If irons, one inch extensions are not uncommon. The only issue will be swing weight and that may or not affect your swing negatively. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

It would be for irons. I’ve been playing the same set for over ten years so I’m not sure how sensitive I would be to swing weight changes. Any opinions there or suggestions on how to possibly test that change if I get back the fitter?

For those curious it’s a set of srixon z585s vs waiting for the zx5

Swing away!

12 minutes ago, Scooby456 said:

It would be for irons. I’ve been playing the same set for over ten years so I’m not sure how sensitive I would be to swing weight changes. Any opinions there or suggestions on how to possibly test that change if I get back the fitter?

For those curious it’s a set of srixon z585s vs waiting for the zx5

People can't answer the question about swing weight without actually trying the clubs.  I personally have not seen any significant differences with the minimal swing weight changes this would cause.    You should be fine with a 1 inch extension in the clubs.  If you have a local clubfitter you could see if they would be willing to swap the shafts after purchase or you could find a used set that are one inch over. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 12/20/2020 at 6:51 AM, Scooby456 said:

Was playing around with a closeout model and the numbers came back best with the stock shaft. I can’t order the stocks shafts custom length at this point (without buying shafts separately) so the option would be to add in a 1” shaft extension (and adjust lie accordingly).

What has been folks experience with that approach? Trying to gauge whether the cost savings with this route are worth it compared to waiting till the new model is released. Thanks all!

The great thing about adding extensions is that you don't have to do the whole set at once. You can just add it to the 9i or 7i or whatever. You can try it for a while and see if the longer irons are fine at stock length. 

It's not unheard of to have the short irons be over length and the mid irons to be less over length of even std length. The downside could be different swing weights from club to club but the MOI might be really close making it feel marginally different. This boils down to your swing and what would positivity or negatively effect your game. 

I have tried +1" and I can't seem to get consistent with it. I currently play std length at 2° upright. But, my next set I am thinking of getting +3/4" in the shortest club and going in 3/8" increments to my longest clubs so am my lie angles and swing weights would progress smoothly and not be identical at all = poor man's simple MOI matched set. Lots of ways to create your perfect set. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

It is easy to forget that adding length to the club also changes the lie angle.  The club will play about 2 degrees more upright with a 1 inch extension.  Depending on your game that could be good or bad.  If you miss to the right then the more upright club will help straighten out your shots however if you miss to the left then it will make your miss worse.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index