RTJ Golf Trail info

skyryder

So, it has been a long time dream for me and my best friend to make a tour of the RTJ trail, but the old excuse "we will do it next year" kept creeping into the plan.

This past winter he developed liver cancer and it looks like the best outcome for him is not going to include golf for a very long time if ever.  We've had a number of long discussions about all the fun we have had including 22 consecutive member/guests with one runner up finish and other fun times on the course.  He said to me that he would really like for me to go play a few of the RTJ courses and let him know how it goes and hopefully we will make it there "some day"

So my question is directed at those who have played the courses and which ones they liked and why.  Did you stay at the resort hotels when you could or somewhere else, and are there any you wished you had not played.  I will be driving, as it is only about 6 hours from home.  Planning to play 5 days, probably consecutive days, but a 3/1 off/2 days is an option as well.  I will try to stay away from weekends and play Mon-Friday or afternoon on a Sunday to Friday with a break in the middle.

Thanks in advance for all the input and if this is the incorrect forum, let me know and I will delete it or repost somewhere else.

Happy Holidays and stay safe!

Sky

• Sad 1

I think there is a thread on the US courses for potentially more information than what I’m about tell you. 

One of my home courses is an RTJ. I have a couple buddies that we like to take weekend trips and visit them. Below are some that you can bunch together and do in a day or two. 

1) Oxmoor Valley (my home course) and Ross Bridge. These are within 5 minutes of each other. Ross Bridge is a must and a stand alone course that used to feature a Champions Tour tourney. Maybe try to play a course from OV and then RB. Definitely doable in one day if you’re up for playing 36 holes?

2) Capitol Hill has 3 really cool 18 hole courses. Can’t go wrong with any of those. The Judge might be my favorite, but is the toughest. Not too far of a drive is Cambrian Ridge and Grand National from this one. Grand National has held a PGA tour event on its Lakes Course.

3) North Alabama has two locations (The Shoals and Hampton Cove). I haven’t been to these yet, but I heard the Shoals is worth it.

4) If you go down to the coast, there are two locations there as well: Magnolia Grove and Lakewood Club. Lakewood is the one you’d want to go to if you had to pick.

I wouldn’t bother venturing out to Silver Lakes. It doesn’t compare to some of these others. 

Top 5 courses I’ve played, in no particular order, I’d suggest you play:

1) Ross Bridge

2) Capitol Hill, Judge Course

3) Capitol Hill, Legislator Course

4) Grand National, Lakes Course

5) Oxmoor Valley, Ridge Course

I haven’t played the Shoals courses or Lakewood, or I’d put those on this list too as I’ve heard great things.

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Another example to all of us not to put off things too long - life throws some wicked pitches at times.  The RTJ Trail is on my list too.  A year ago I had planned to do a x-country trip from MT down through the SE to possibly include a meet-up with @Mr. 82and another spy.  I got the Jones to do this from another spy who had recently retired and scratched it off his bucket list.  He posted a thread on it and you should be able to find it with the search function.  Here's hoping you and your friend make the trip! 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Another example to all of us not to put off things too long - life throws some wicked pitches at times.  The RTJ Trail is on my list too.  A year ago I had planned to do a x-country trip from MT down through the SE to possibly include a meet-up with @Mr. 82and another spy.  I got the Jones to do this from another spy who had recently retired and scratched it off his bucket list.  He posted a thread on it and you should be able to find it with the search function.  Here's hoping you and your friend make the trip! 

Whatever happened to that?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
Just now, Mr. 82 said:

Whatever happened to that?

Life.  Plus, it coincided with the inaugural PNW Spy Meet-up and that just worked out better with the calendar.  Real happy it did though as I've added several new friends to my list and we held our second meet-up this summer.  We hope to do 2021's event in Boise, ID or Bend, OR.  Maybe some of you east coast and heartland spies can participate 👍.  I haven't given up on the RTJ trip... so you're not out of the woods yet 😆.

• Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)