Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Stableford Punishes Good Players?

Middler

While probably not true when all players are similar skill level, but it seems when players are of widely varying skill levels, better players don’t seem to win their share. I’m a mid level player and I win more than my share, as do the lower level players. I found a few threads saying they see the same issue, but no solutions. Anyone found a solution to make it more equitable?

We do eagle 6, birdie 4, par 2, bogey 1, doubles and worse 0. I’m told eagle 5, birdie 3, par 2, bogey 1, doubles and worse 0 is more common. Is our system making it even harder on better players.

We’d really like a better system that rewards good players more often.

[I’ve also noticed the less consistent you are, the more you win versus a very consistent player...]

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Classic Stableford uses increments of 1 point per stroke, usually 0 for double or worse, 1 for bogey, 2 for birdie, 3 for eagle, etc.  Because really high scores aren't "penalized", its possible that higher handicaps receive more benefit than better players.  But have you really looked into seeing how much money goes to each handicap group?  Generally speaking, there are substantially fewer low-handicappers, so they typically would win less money as a group.  Many times this is perceived as being unfair, but it could be an appropriate distribution of winnings.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

We use Stableford for our Club's summer long 18 hole men's league. While I can't retrieve 2020 data, my sense is that the best players are at the top of the list for earning $$.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Based on the scoring system, my immediate thought would be that it actually favours the better player as the birdie and eagle percentage a low cap has over a high cap is rather significant so my best guess as to why it's swinging towards mid to high caps has more to do with the way handicaps are applied than it does the scoring system.

While probably not true when all players are similar skill level, but it seems when players are of widely varying skill levels, better players don’t seem to win their share. I’m a mid level player and I win more than my share, as do the lower level players. I found a few threads saying they see the same issue, but no solutions. Anyone found a solution to make it more equitable?
We do eagle 6, birdie 4, par 2, bogey 1, doubles and worse 0. I’m told eagle 5, birdie 3, par 2, bogey 1, doubles and worse 0 is more common. Is our system making it even harder on better players.
We’d really like a better system that rewards good players more often.
[i’ve also noticed the less consistent you are, the more you win versus a very consistent player...]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Based on the scoring system, my immediate thought would be that it actually favours the better player as the birdie and eagle percentage a low cap has over a high cap is rather significant so my best guess as to why it's swinging towards mid to high caps has more to do with the way handicaps are applied than it does the scoring system.

I have made 3 eagles this year. One of my 26 handicap members makes at least 1 “net eagle” per round, or like 80+ this year. This type of stableford scoring absolutely favors the extremely high caps.

Sent from OregonMyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Well that's kind of what I mean. If the scoring is played straight up, it's more likely to favour the better player but as soon as net scores come in to play it immediately swings the other way.

I have made 3 eagles this year. One of my 26 handicap members makes at least 1 “net eagle” per round, or like 80+ this year. This type of stableford scoring absolutely favors the extremely high caps.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

48 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Well that's kind of what I mean. If the scoring is played straight up, it's more likely to favour the better player but as soon as net scores come in to play it immediately swings the other way.

We don’t use net scores, every player gets Stableford points using their actual scores.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Classic Stableford uses increments of 1 point per stroke, usually 0 for double or worse, 1 for bogey, 2 for birdie, 3 for eagle, etc.  Because really high scores aren't "penalized", its possible that higher handicaps receive more benefit than better players.  But have you really looked into seeing how much money goes to each handicap group?  Generally speaking, there are substantially fewer low-handicappers, so they typically would win less money as a group.  Many times this is perceived as being unfair, but it could be an appropriate distribution of winnings.

I do have complete data for our group of 8 and the two best players rarely win, the guys at the bottom and inconsistent middle players are taking most of the winnings. We all want a fair shake, including those who are winning more than their fair share. And the better players aren’t complaining even though they’d be justified IMO.

I also play in another group of 12 and while I don’t have all the data, I’m there for the payouts and the four top players rarely win. Again the high handicappers and inconsistent middle players win most often...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

It seems to me that it depends on the skills of the better players and the higher handicap players.  What I mean is that if the better players are not big hitters, but are consistent, their eagle/birdie chances might be fewer than less skilled players who drive the ball a long way, but are erratic.  

The reward for making eagles and birdies is high, but there is very little risk to the less skilled players if they make a big number, which they are more likely to do than better players.  I would say yes, your system is likely harder for better players.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@Middler I wonder what the winning scores are most often?

Say player 1 is at +5 with all pars and 5 bogeys = using 6-4-2-1-0 = 31

Say player 2 is at +12 with 4 doubles, 6 bogeys, 6 pars, and 2 birdies = 26

Player 3 is at +15 with 3 triples, 4 doubles, 3 birdies, 1 bogey, and 7 pars = 27

Obviously, the best player with lots of pars and a low score wins. But, the two mid-cappers get flipped where the better player gets a lower stableford score. 

I am with the other poster who said that net scores favor worse players in the stableford format, so pick one or the other and not both at the same time. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Minor note: missing par at 2 points, birdie 3, eagle 4. 

0 pts = double or worse

1 = bogey

2 = par

3 = birdie

4 = eagle, etc

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

In my estimation, the lack of "penalty" for really high scores helps more erratic players.  The un-balancing of the points, giving 2 more points going from birdie to eagle when bogey to par is only 1 point difference. for example, also helps erratic players.  Try using consistent single-point differences and see what happens for a bit. @Buffly has given the correct point values for normal Stableford, correcting my mistake earlier.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

So far I see no penalty for making a bad score so that’s definitely going to favor the higher hdcp players in the group.

The group I’ve played with for the last 20+ years has been using a modified stableford for the last 5 years or so. The golfers who have the 12-18 hdcp win more frequently than the single digit golfers when we have at least 8 playing. The smaller the group the better chance the lower hdcp in the group has of winning. 

Eagle = 8

Birdie = 4

Par = 2

Bogey = 1

Double bogey = 0

Triple or worse = -1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It seems to me that it depends on the skills of the better players and the higher handicap players.  What I mean is that if the better players are not big hitters, but are consistent, their eagle/birdie chances might be fewer than less skilled players who drive the ball a long way, but are erratic.  

The reward for making eagles and birdies is high, but there is very little risk to the less skilled players if they make a big number, which they are more likely to do than better players.  I would say yes, your system is likely harder for better players.

A good insight that hadn’t occurred to me, thanks. We are seniors. Wish we could figure out a way to balance winners.

Again to another post above, none of our groups use net scores at all.

I did find a study online that suggested 6-4-2-1-0 favors higher handicappers more than  4-3-2-1-0. So I'll probably propose we try the latter in our league and see if that creates more balance.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Our Sunday game is standard Stableford points (3,2,1,0) - your "Point". each players "point" is determined by averaging their stableford points each week for the duration of the game. It is all Gross, and is absolutely fair. If you have a hot week, you win $$. If you play worse that your point, you had a nice 4 hours on the course.  

In our game, I had 41 2 weeks ago, and lost to a player who had 32. His point was much lower than mine, even though I had my highest score of the year. Good format, and lends itself to allowing other games while playing..

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

My league is Stableford but we are also flighted by handicap so I haven't really noticed.  I'm playing against guys of similar skill level.  It is rare that a low handicapper wins the year end tournament but single digits are in the A and some years B flight while we go all the way down to G so there are always far more mid and high handicappers in that group.  Additionally we give prizes for low score as well as season long low handicap index - I've never seen a high handicapper win that won so perhaps that's unfair. 🙂

Interesting topic, I had not thought of it - I like the way that my league scores because it's taught me the value of digging out a bogey from a tough situation.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have made 3 eagles this year. One of my 26 handicap members makes at least 1 “net eagle” per round, or like 80+ this year.

Played with this guy today.
I made 1 gross eagle (4th of the year) and he made 4 net eagles.

When I used to play this format in New Mexico, it was totally different as how points were rewarded:

Double  -1 , plus , if your were laying double, you picked up you ball. Also sped play up.

Bogey 0

Par 1

Birdie 2

Eagle 3

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

14 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Our Sunday game is standard Stableford points (3,2,1,0) - your "Point". each players "point" is determined by averaging their stableford points each week for the duration of the game. It is all Gross, and is absolutely fair. If you have a hot week, you win $$. If you play worse that your point, you had a nice 4 hours on the course.  

In our game, I had 41 2 weeks ago, and lost to a player who had 32. His point was much lower than mine, even though I had my highest score of the year. Good format, and lends itself to allowing other games while playing..

We play Stableford on my buddies trip in a similar way - gross points minus your quota (point).  We start the trip with quotas based on handicap/85% of average score, and we adjust every round.  If you beat your quota, we adjust as follows:

+1 - Raise quota by 1
+2/+3 - Raise quota by 2
+4/+5 - Raise quota by 3
+6 - Raise quota by 4
+7 - Raise quota by 5
and so on.  So if you have a really hot day, you're going to get killed on your quota for the next day.  If you miss your quota, we adjust as follows:

-1 - Lower quota by 1
-2/-3 - Lower quota by 2
-4/-5 - Lower quota by 3
-6/-7 - Lower quota by 4
and so on.  So your quota will not go drop as quickly as it rises.  But after four rounds, everyone should have had at least one quota that would let them finish in the money.  If you do this for a long period of time, it should give everyone a shot.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino