TESTERS WANTED! ×

General truths for driver distance?

Greg99

Hello! So, I know the real answer is to get a proper driver fitting and to work on my swing, but I am wondering if there a general  trends that seem to hold true when looking for maximum driver distance. I am hoping to buy a new driver soon to take advantage of some of the sales and want to break the 300-yard barrier before I am too old to do so. I cannot go to a fitting right now, so I am sort of buying blind. So:

1. is there a brand of driver head that seems to consistently go farther than others? Conversely, is there a brand I should avoid?

2. Does a weaker shaft flex make it more difficult to achieve distance? If I am on the border of regular vs stiff, would I likely see more distance going for the stiffer option?

3. in general, do counter weighted shafts seem to help with distance?

4. Anything else I should be considering in this juvenile quest to maintain my youth?

Good news and bad news. Good news is that almost all the main manufacturers have hot faced and aerodynamic drivers. Bad news is the answer for almost every other question is “it depends.” Shaft stiffness isn’t the only thing. How you load a shaft will change. Same with the counterbalance

The main goal is to get closest to your optimum launch conditions for your swing speed. Ping has an awesome chart to show that https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/optimal-launch-and-spin

Try out some drivers at Golf Galaxy or Dicks. The launch monitor will show your information. See which ones get you closest 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

3 hours ago, Greg99 said:

Hello! So, I know the real answer is to get a proper driver fitting and to work on my swing, but I am wondering if there a general  trends that seem to hold true when looking for maximum driver distance. I am hoping to buy a new driver soon to take advantage of some of the sales and want to break the 300-yard barrier before I am too old to do so. I cannot go to a fitting right now, so I am sort of buying blind. So:

1. is there a brand of driver head that seems to consistently go farther than others? Conversely, is there a brand I should avoid?

2. Does a weaker shaft flex make it more difficult to achieve distance? If I am on the border of regular vs stiff, would I likely see more distance going for the stiffer option?

4. Anything else I should be considering in this juvenile quest to maintain my youth?

1. is there a brand of driver head that seems to consistently go farther than others? The big 3 are hard to beat: Taylormade, Callaway, and Titleist. However, Ping is my favorite brand. Pxg, Cobra, and Srixon are also worth a look. Conversely, is there a brand I should avoid? Wilson, Top Flite, or anything not mentioned above. If you can't find it on the PGA Value Guide website then it is not a major market contender. 

2. Does a weaker shaft flex make it more difficult to achieve distance? Only when taken to an extreme of playing a flex that doesn't fit you at all. If I am on the border of regular vs stiff, would I likely see more distance going for the stiffer option? Maybe. Depending on the specific shaft and how you swing. Stiffer can provide more control if it fits you. 

3. in general, do counter weighted shafts seem to help with distance? Only for some. This type of shaft solves different problems of adjusting balance point for heavier headed drivers or changing the way a shaft loads for a certain swing style = both unrelated to distance.

4. Anything else I should be considering in this juvenile quest to maintain my youth? 3 things: increase your flexibility, increase your strength, increase your speed all while maintaining tempo, balance and accuracy - so easy right!?!

there is no magic bullet driver that will get you 300+ yards without applying some talent, practice, and persistence. Getting help in the form of lessons is also another great way to optimize the efforts. 

trust your fitter and hopefully it will work out. Watch TXG videos and look for their how to get the most out of your fitting too.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

9 hours ago, Buffly said:

Conversely, is there a brand I should avoid? Wilson, Top Flite, or anything not mentioned above. If you can't find it on the PGA Value Guide website then it is not a major market contender. 

I'm gonna disagree with this point here. Wilson and Top Flite are not in the same category. While Wilson doesn't have the same market share as the big boys, their quality is every bit as good. Some of the stock shaft offerings might not work for everyone but if you are fit properly (as you should be with every club) they are not lacking. Do not look over Wilson.  They put out tremendous clubs that can keep up with the big guys at a lower price point, similar to what Cobra is doing.  Also Tour Edge was not listed in your "must try" but they are excellent as well. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

14 hours ago, Greg99 said:

1. is there a brand of driver head that seems to consistently go farther than others? Conversely, is there a brand I should avoid? This is player dependent and with the right shaft and loft combo. All drivers from a CT perspective are maxed out on the sweet spot. Lots of variables including swing are needed to optimize the setup.

2. Does a weaker shaft flex make it more difficult to achieve distance? If I am on the border of regular vs stiff, would I likely see more distance going for the stiffer option? Shaft flex is only pertinent to the manufacturer making it. Flex in different lineups from the same manufacturer can be different. Example an evenflow stiff will be different than a hzrdus shafts both from Project X. EI profiles are more important.

3. in general, do counter weighted shafts seem to help with distance? Like #1 this will be player dependent and all CB shafts aren’t created equal.

4. Anything else I should be considering in this juvenile quest to maintain my youth? Workout, stay healthy, train for speed.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88494]MyGolfSpy[/url]

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

16 hours ago, Greg99 said:

None of this matters. If you are looking to break 300 yards, you will not find it on a shelf anywhere. 

If you want to hit it farther do this;

1) improve launch conditions

2) get stronger and more mobile

3) deliberately practice swinging faster. 

You just will not find the answers with something you can purchase.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1. They are all very close.

2. Depends, stiff vs regular is going to be different for every shaft as there are not standards in the golf industry for shaft flex.

3. This is for feel and could actually hurt distance. If you don't care as much about accuracy and want max distance you will want the lightest shaft you can swing comfortably. Counter weight increases the clubs total weight. The lower the total weight the faster you will swing, generally. The exception is that if you can't feel the club loading you may have difficulty swinging fast.

4. Go light and go long. If all you want is distance get the lightest weight stiff shaft you can find. There is no guarantee you will be remotely close to the fairway but lighter is generally longer but not always.

What I have said above is generally considered poor advice as the proper advice is to try and get fit somehow. However, if you don't care about potentially wasting money and you want pure length, weight is the enemy. One the positive side, if you do get a poor shaft fit, you can always change the shaft.

If you're on a quest to break 300 yards and you're currently between a regular and stiff flex, NONE of this stuff matters until you can get your swing speed up.  Focus on speed training and getting your swing speed as high as possible.  Then you can get equipment to optimize the new speed.  If you're between 90-100 mph. focus on getting up to 110mph+.

My bag is a revolving door!

Straight from Bryson himself😂😂. I would say outside of flexibility he has given some solid key strategies to building muscle to gain distance on the golf course. It’s not a workout for everyone though. No matter what direction you go in you need to have solid striking contact. Driver faces are hot, but if you can’t find the center you are doing yourself a disservice. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

This pretty much sums up the vast majority of the golfing population worldwide.

Are there any trends that seem to hold true? Yes - people are too lazy to put any effort into getting fitted and work on their swing. 

Is there any brand you should avoid? Yes - the sort you are buying blind.

Is there anything else you should consider? Yes - another sport which requires large sums of money with little effort - may I suggest stock car racing.

Seriously though, if you are really intent on breaking the 300 yard barrier with a driver, try practicing on a runway.

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

None of this matters. If you are looking to break 300 yards, you will not find it on a shelf anywhere. 

I agree 100%.  If it were that easy, everyone would just go out and buy the driver that could deliver 300 yards stock.  Look, if you are going to spend the money on a driver, wait.  Go get fitted into a shaft and head combo that are suited for you.  During your fitting you will be able to see where you're at with launch angle and spin rates.  There will ALWAYS be driver sales.  Always!  Take this time to work on mobility, tempo, finding the center of the clubface and then GET FITTED.  You will not regret it!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 12/21/2020 at 8:02 PM, Greg99 said:

1. MGS testing seems to point to Callaway heads being consistently among the longest for the past few years. 

2. Most often a weaker flex will go farther will less accuracy, unless you are overpowering it by a significant amount. 

3. This is going to be personal as it could effect how you release the club with your wrists. In general, counterweight will add more weight in the hands which could slow them down and reduce speed. 

4. Move somewhere like Denver, Utah, or another high altitude location with a dry climate. My swing speed is 95-100 mph, I've hit multiple 300 yard drives downwind on the dry fairways of Alberta at ~3500 ft elevation. Holes that are severely downhill are also your friend. 😂 In normal conditions, you need to be carrying the ball 270-280 yards which equates to roughly 110 MPH swing speed as mentioned above. This is the real goal and then you will hit 300 with a multitude of drivers in varying conditions. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 12/21/2020 at 9:02 PM, Greg99 said:

How close are you to 300 now? The sales on the outgoing equipment aren’t going to end anytime soon.

Honestly, you’re not likely to find 300 yards picking blind, there are too many variables to overcome. If getting to 300 were as easy as answering 4 questions, then the majority of golfers would be hitting over 300.... As was said to me recently, “In this day in-age, we’re used to getting everything NOW. We don’t like to wait...”

Good luck on your quest, but I think it’s always best to be honest.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

22 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

2 and 3 are really good ones.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:02 PM, Greg99 said:

I am hoping to buy a new driver soon to take advantage of some of the sales and want to break the 300-yard barrier before I am too old to do so.

I looked back at your only other post, and notice that you claim that your average score is about 87.  At that level, you have many more important things to worry about than hitting 300-yard drives.  You almost certainly need to hit straighter drives, you need to make more consistent contact with your irons to improve both distance and lateral dispersion, you need to improve your short game and putting.  The first and most important step in doing most of those is to improve your full swing.  Lessons and practice, along with strength and flexibility training, are what you should be thinking of.  A new driver might gain you a few yards, maybe even 15 or 20 yards if your current club is really mismatched.  If you're looking for sales, you're conscious of costs.  The best way to spend scarce dollars is on lessons from a good instructor.

Others have given you some good advice on the questions you actually asked, I know I didn't.  And if you'd rather spend money on shiny new things, go for it.  But a shiny new driver won't do much to lower your scores.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I don't see the harm if you want to experiment a little, golf is supposed to fun.      Just don't take out anybody's window.

Everybody agrees that putting it the real work on your swing, body, mind, etc. is better in the long run, but in the short-term have some fun, why not?  The key word being short-term, as the new equipment may provide some temporary joy, but in the long run, our techniques and abilities will take over.

1.   Off the beaten path a bit, I had a Krank Formula 5 driver a few years back, it has a hard feel to it, not the most forgiving, weird sound,  but it when struck adequately it did fly as well as anything I have ever played with.   Many people who used conventional OEM drivers scoffed at me when I used this club but changed their tune after they tried it.    

2.  A weaker shaft will help with distance, as well as snap hooks or high push fades that fly to places not fit for man or beast.   Typically, weaker shafts are also lighter, may help with speed, but light is not always right.

3.  I have no experience with this.

4.  Longer shafts will give you potential for more distance, but only if you can hit it solidly and the clubface isn't too open or closed.   When the shaft is longer, it will be weaker too.    Lighter shafts will allow you to swing faster too, then again, light is not always right, these kinds of things can be determined at a fitting, which is why fittings are beneficial.

If it was me, I'd find a cheap used driver head on ebay, find an inexpensive shaft, used or new, depends on the stiffness and playing length you want, assemble it, give it go after the epoxy cures.   Maybe you spend $100-$150.  Golf is fun, but it is definitely not free.

You could make it really long, see what happens, then make it a little shorter, try that.  Good application for blow-on grips.

Edited by SlowNLow

9 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

I don't see the harm if you want to experiment a little, golf is supposed to fun.      Just don't take out anybody's window.

Everybody agrees that putting it the real work on your swing, body, mind, etc. is better in the long run, but in the short-term have some fun, why not?  The key word being short-term, as the new equipment may provide some temporary joy, but in the long run, our techniques and abilities will take over.

1.   Off the beaten path a bit, I had a Krank Formula 5 driver a few years back, it has a hard feel to it, not the most forgiving, weird sound,  but it when struck adequately it did fly as well as anything I have ever played with.   Many people who used conventional OEM drivers scoffed at me when I used this club but changed their tune after they tried it.    

2.  A weaker shaft will help with distance, as well as snap hooks or high push fades that fly to places not fit for man or beast.   Typically, weaker shafts are also lighter, may help with speed, but light is not always right.

3.  I have no experience with this.

4.  Longer shafts will give you potential for more distance, but only if you can hit it solidly and the clubface isn't too open or closed.   When the shaft is longer, it will be weaker too.    Lighter shafts will allow you to swing faster too, then again, light is not always right, these kinds of things can be determined at a fitting, which is why fittings are beneficial.

If it was me, I'd find a cheap used driver head on ebay, find an inexpensive shaft, used or new, depends on the stiffness and playing length you want, assemble it, give it go after the epoxy cures.   Maybe you spend $100-$150.  Golf is fun, but it is definitely not free.

You could make it really long, see what happens, then make it a little shorter, try that.  Good application for blow-on grips.

I have to agree with this, and other previous posts.

Just myself, and lighter shaft doesn't help.

After thinking a stiffer shaft would help me, it turned out to be a heavier shaft was needed.

Spending time with 60-65 gram shafts that didn't repeat was aggravating.

Then, a teaching pro suggested a 70+ gram shaft in a (weak profile) X flex helped me.

It just goes to show that everyone is different.

Go to a real fitter.

You'll be surprised, and thankful.

Also, you want to take a few lessons that will help your game.

Always chasing different clubs

1. I would say Taylormade has been the best driver brand overall, and I have heard that PXG drivers are not good, but whatever you are going to buy, test first. The M5 is a great driver, but for me, it was going much shorter and less accurate.

2. No, the softer shaft might make the dispersion worse though.

3. It depends, you could also just put a lighter weight in the head to decrease swing weight though.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS