Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hooking and poor tempo with long iron.

JohnCam

Through covid 19 i have trained and tried to increase my swing speed and has increased about 10 mph and now I consistently swing my driver about 120mph. When i gone out and played today i found that i hook every shots of my irons and I play a set of mp 18 mb with the ns pro 950 gh in regular. I am guessing that the shaft is the culprit but im not sure. 

Might i also add that hooking was always a problem with my iron swing but it was controllable before but now not anymore!

Edited by Darienvs

Honma TW747 at 10,5 deg w 50gr SR shaft

Taylormade M6 3 wood w stock S shaft

Titleist U500 2iron hzrdus 6.0

Mizuno MP 18 MB with KBS Tour 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Coronado.

1 hour ago, Darienvs said:

Through covid 19 i have trained and tried to increase my swing speed and has increased about 10 mph and now I consistently swing my driver about 120mph. When i gone out and played today i found that i hook every shots of my irons and I play a set of mp 18 mb with the ns pro 950 gh in regular. I am guessing that the shaft is the culprit but im not sure. 

Might i also add that hooking was always a problem with my iron swing but it was controllable before but now not anymore!

How did you work to increase your swing speed?  If it didn't involve hitting golf balls and watching the flight, you may have spent that time working on a swing that's designed to hook the ball.  Before you start blaming the equipment, you should do a good evaluation of your swing.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Faster and longer also means farther left and right. You new faster hook; you said that has always been a problem, now goes further. Since if goes further down the same line it is more left.

Don’t know what “ controllable”means.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

How did you work to increase your swing speed?  If it didn't involve hitting golf balls and watching the flight, you may have spent that time working on a swing that's designed to hook the ball.  Before you start blaming the equipment, you should do a good evaluation of your swing.

I used overspeed set! i will look in to that however i dont think that is the case because i only hook my long iron (i forgot to say this) (3,4,5) not even driver . I should also add that my swing weight is D1.5 and i cant cant feel the head of my irons at all.

Titleist Vokey SM8 

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Faster and longer also means farther left and right. You new faster hook; you said that has always been a problem, now goes further. Since if goes further down the same line it is more left.

Is there anything i could do? The people i played with today told me that i could fix this by getting more open at impact but i dont really know what to do right now :)).

its controllable because i can throw the club infront of me and stop it from hook but now i cant!

Edited by Darienvs

Titleist Vokey SM8 

I used overspeed set! i will look in to that however i dont think that is the case because i only hook my long iron (i forgot to say this) (3,4,5) not even driver . I should also add that my swing weight is D1.5 and i cant cant feel the head of my irons at all.

Then go to a club fitter and see what he says about your clubs. It could be that they are not setup correctly and rotate too much. Or go get lessons and see if you have a swing fault.

Have you felt the head if your irons before? There are people like myself that don’t have that sense in the golf swing.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The overspeed set involves a whole lot of swinging without seeing the balls flight, so its impossible to tell how your swing has changed.  Where does the ball start?  If its starting on target and then hooking, your clubface at impact is good, but your path is strongly inside-out.  If it starts left and goes further left, your clubface is already left at impact.  Ball flight, leading to understanding path and face control are the very minimum of the clues needed to start evaluating swing (or club) issues.

Go see a pro.  Diagnosing your swing based on strangers from the internet, who have never seen you swing, is likely to be futile.  Basing it on advice from some random people you played with is also likely to be futile.  Upload a swing video, or see a pro.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Then go to a club fitter and see what he says about your clubs. It could be that they are not setup correctly and rotate too much. Or go get lessons and see if you have a swing fault.

Have you felt the head if your irons before? There are people like myself that don’t have that sense in the golf swing.

Its never a thing i focus on but if i go to a ladies club, d0 clubs my backswing get really fast and my tempo is off and i cant hit it well!

Titleist Vokey SM8 

4 minutes ago, Darienvs said:

Is there anything i could do? The people i played with today told me that i could fix this by getting more open at impact but i dont really know what to do right now :)).

its controllable because i can throw the club infront of me and stop it from hook but now i cant!

Making a compensation isn’t controllable because it’s going to rely on timing and if the timing is off the control goes away.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

The overspeed set involves a whole lot of swinging without seeing the balls flight, so its impossible to tell how your swing has changed.  Where does the ball start?  If its starting on target and then hooking, your clubface at impact is good, but your path is strongly inside-out.  If it starts left and goes further left, your clubface is already left at impact.  Ball flight, leading to understanding path and face control are the very minimum of the clues needed to start evaluating swing (or club) issues.

Go see a pro.  Diagnosing your swing based on strangers from the internet, who have never seen you swing, is likely to be futile.  Basing it on advice from some random people you played with is also likely to be futile.  Upload a swing video, or see a pro.  

yes my ball go straight and curves left excessively! 

Titleist Vokey SM8 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Making a compensation isn’t controllable because it’s going to rely on timing and if the timing is off the control goes away.

yup as Dave said i will looking in to my path being too much in to out and see if i can change it!

Titleist Vokey SM8 

2 minutes ago, Darienvs said:

You have a problem with your swing path.  I'm not an instructor or a fitter, but that seems to be more of a swing problem than a club problem.  You can try to solve this yourself, but you have absolutely zero understanding of what is causing the inside-out path, so you're likely to stumble through a bunch of different "cures" before you find one that works.  Please get some decent instruction.  There are online instruction services that work with video if you can't find someone close to you.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You have a problem with your swing path.  I'm not an instructor or a fitter, but that seems to be more of a swing problem than a club problem.  You can try to solve this yourself, but you have absolutely zero understanding of what is causing the inside-out path, so you're likely to stumble through a bunch of different "cures" before you find one that works.  Please get some decent instruction.  There are online instruction services that work with video if you can't find someone close to you.

yessir thanks for your helps!

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Its never a thing i focus on but if i go to a ladies club, d0 clubs my backswing get really fast and my tempo is off and i cant hit it well!

That is probably a total weight and not a swing weight thing.

Based on ball flight laws, the face is pointed down the target line since that is where the ball starts and your path is too much in to out which causes the hook. See an instructor.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

That is probably a total weight and not a swing weight thing.

Based on ball flight laws, the face is pointed down the target line since that is where the ball starts and your path is too much in to out which causes the hook.

yessir i will try to seek out a fitter!

Titleist Vokey SM8 

yessir i will try to seek out a fitter!

Instructor not fitter, you have a swing issue.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Instructor not fitter, you have a swing issue.

Seems like @Darienvs might need both.  He increased his ss with driver from 110 to 120mph, but I am wondering why he was playing regular flex in his irons in the first place.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Seems like @Darienvs might need both.  He increased his ss with driver from 110 to 120mph, but I am wondering why he was playing regular flex in his irons in the first place.

I wouldn't argue with this, but a stiffer shaft seems unlikely to improve his swing path, a problem he apparently had before he started his overspeed training.  A player with a good swing can adapt to imperfectly fit clubs, but perfectly fit clubs can't overcome a bad swing fault.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Seems like [mention=104220]Darienvs[/mention] might need both.  He increased his ss with driver from 110 to 120mph, but I am wondering why he was playing regular flex in his irons in the first place.

If he wants to stop the hook that is instructor. Swing speed isn’t the only thing used to measure shaft flex. I read a fitting article a while ago that explained why a
sub 90mph player was fit into X-flex. While you can find swing improvements when being fitted, it is designed to optimize what you have.

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If he wants to stop the hook that is instructor. Swing speed isn’t the only thing used to measure shaft flex. I read a fitting article a while ago that explained why a
sub 90mph player was fit into X-flex. While you can find swing improvements when being fitted, it is designed to optimize what you have.

This x1000. The days of swing speed determining flex are gone. With launch monitors and technology theres a bunch of other factors that can be seen

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A solid instructor can correct your swing and using data can tell you if your equipment works on needs adjusting. Congrats on the increased swing speed. Once the issue or problem is incentivized their are a good amounts of instructional videos on the TPI website for utilization 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review