2021 Fantasy Golf

So, again a newbie question, but are we now getting into the art/science of fantasy golf...a balance between dropping and adding players week-to-week so that you're fielding a full squad, versus holding onto players that may not play in a given week but you like their chance to perform in the following weeks?  Does that mean the week after the Masters or another major things get pretty thin?

I am NOT suggesting people left with 3 players didn't pay attention to that, looks like some system or system familiarity issues maybe.  Just asking a question among the seasoned vets if that's as much of a weekly challenge as it seems to be.

This is going to be fun...watching players and point margins ebb and flow over the course of 4 rounds...

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Key Links: State-Of-The-League FANTASY GOLF FOR DUMMIES With the Super Bowl set in our Fantasy Football league, let's go ahead and start taking interest for the Fantasy Gol

OK everybody we're locked. Welcome to the 2021 MGS Fantasy Football League. This is a lengthy message to kick off the season but it's very important so please read it in its entirety. Here's a br

2021 FANTASY DRAFT POST OF DREAMS THE MGS FANTASY GOLF DRAFT IS SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, JANUARY 22 @ 8 p.m. EST, 7 Central, 6 Mountain, 5 Pacific... for the rest of y'all, I got nothing.  

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

As a friendly note because this is gonna come up, a note on players withdrawing from an event in play. That player's point total reverts to 0, so you lose all accumulated stats for that player.

This is absolutely the dumbest and most ridiculous thing about fantasy golf. It's like he didn't even show up.

Imagine fantasy football where a guy has 110 rushing yards and 2 TDs and is injured in the 4th quarter and is out for the rest of the game and all his stats are erased and those yards and TDs never really happened....

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So, again a newbie question, but are we now getting into the art/science of fantasy golf...a balance between dropping and adding players week-to-week so that you're fielding a full squad, versus holding onto players that may not play in a given week but you like their chance to perform in the following weeks?  Does that mean the week after the Masters or another major things get pretty thin?

I am NOT suggesting people left with 3 players didn't pay attention to that, looks like some system or system familiarity issues maybe.  Just asking a question among the seasoned vets if that's as much of a weekly challenge as it seems to be.

This is going to be fun...watching players and point margins ebb and flow over the course of 4 rounds...

It's not a weekly league. It's season long. Sure, you need to field as many players as you can but think about the cost/benefit before dropping a top 50 player just because he isn't in the field for the week.... 

• Like 4

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

5 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

And you've hit it on the head. Roster management is as a big key as any into who will come solid at the of the season. It's about knowing when to zig, when to zag, and when to stand pat. The worst part about it? We're all just guessing, maybe a bit more educated than a guess, but a guess none the less.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 14*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 17.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

3 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

It's not a weekly league. It's season long. Sure, you need to field as many players as you can but think about the cost/benefit before dropping a top 50 player just because he isn't in the field for the week.... 

Sure, I'm not talking about dropping studs just because they sit out the Colonial or something, I just mean the players one would normally consider your 6, 7, 8 player...

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

4 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

This is absolutely the dumbest and most ridiculous thing about fantasy golf. It's like he didn't even show up.

Imagine fantasy football where a guy has 110 rushing yards and 2 TDs and is injured in the 4th quarter and is out for the rest of the game and all his stats are erased and those yards and TDs never really happened....

that definitley bites BUT if only the top 4 scores are counted for the week then it wont matter if they had points or not. (Or am i missing something with total team score?)

• Like 1

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Just now, JonMUSC08 said:

that definitley bites BUT if only the top 4 scores are counted for the week then it wont matter if they had points or not. (Or am i missing something with total team score?)

Yeah - it totally matters. 

Say you have 5 of your players in the field and only 4 make the cut and are playing well and in the top 25 and you're winning (which, in a league this big it's hard to even figure out but I digress..). One of them hurts his wrist on Saturday afternoon and has to withdraw; you've now lost all of the points he's accumulated for the week, have only 3 players and have gone from winning to losing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sure, I'm not talking about dropping studs just because they sit out the Colonial or something, I just mean the players one would normally consider your 6, 7, 8 player...

Gotcha... I saw some good players dropped in favor of others just because they weren't in the field last year so that's why I mentioned it.

The other challenge are injuries. How long do you stand pat on a guy like Adam Scott if he's got a minor injury and is expected back soon? Drop and move on or grit your teeth and wait it out...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I am NOT suggesting people left with 3 players didn't pay attention to that

Suggest away in my case LOL - work was crazy this week and I totally forgot about this starting.  

I know I'm not going to win or be anywhere near the top - so this is just for fun.  Some weeks I'll be able to put more effort in than others.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

At least the point count only goes to the top 4 scorers right?
So there is a slim chance that 3 might have more points that 4 if they all go off in the next 3 days. well I hope.

Very true. It is about total points. And a team with one player can theoretically beat a team with four players. The scenario would be the team that had 4 players all
Missed the cut and the team with one player wins the event with a low score.

Lots of dynamics but with the best ball format the league uses,
Maximizing players is good. As others have been discussing, you still have to figure out what players to hold even though they don’t play a lot. Say Top name players play 11 events a season. Do you hold them if they aren’t playing for the next month on the PGA and play in Europe instead. Do you replace a player with a player that plays most weeks but doesn’t quality for majors? Balancing you team is really the key for a league like this.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If the player makes the weekend THEN gets injured, well that kinda bites. Comparing to fantasy football, some guys say they are going to play and then the game starts and they dont feel like it or pull a hammy getting dressed or see 1 touch and decide it was a bad idea. Its the gamble of sports.

• Like 2

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

59 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

If the player makes the weekend THEN gets injured, well that kinda bites. Comparing to fantasy football, some guys say they are going to play and then the game starts and they dont feel like it or pull a hammy getting dressed or see 1 touch and decide it was a bad idea. Its the gamble of sports.

it doesn't happen too often but when it does it stings... 

apparently this is also how the PGA does their official stat tracking so that's why the fantasy sites do it.

• Hmmm 1

50 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

it doesn't happen too often but when it does it stings... 

apparently this is also how the PGA does their official stat tracking so that's why the fantasy sites do it.

And to put another instance in there, we have brought this issue up to Fantrax on numerous occasions, but they haven't budged on moving it to letting the stats stand. One day

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 14*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 17.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

im going to start throwing down some $5 bets on some of these smaller name guys!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

Need help understanding the yellow star by the name of 4 of my players when looking at Team and selection Fantasy Team.

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

2 hours ago, gobama84 said:

Need help understanding the yellow star by the name of 4 of my players when looking at Team and selection Fantasy Team.

Those are who Fantrax will score as your top 4. It will change automatically if another player starts to out score one of them. 

• Like 3

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

My IM has reached "max limit" twice today with offers rolling in for Speith.  I'm doing the best I can reviewing them.  Please be patient 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

As a friendly note because this is gonna come up, a note on players withdrawing from an event in play. That player's point total reverts to 0, so you lose all accumulated stats for that player. Luckily for most of you with Wolff in play, that's not a bad thing.
Also, since this has been brought up in the Slack and I know some of you aren't on that, I'll post in the thread.
The question of how will I know who my top four players are and how many points I have is one that it tricky with the best ball format, here's how to know.
Use the home page matchups!
The home page matchups show where you stand with your four best players at any given time, it also shows live tracking of the league median score as well. If you click on live scoring and look at matchups that, it shows all current players playing, meaning your total is going to be higher. For example, ZJBogey had the highest score after rd1 with 80.05 points. However, if you click his live score it shows he has 116. The scores on the home page are the ones you need to use to understand where you are. However, finish bonuses won't be live until the tournament ends.

I must not be looking in the right place (or is it different on the phone app?) because what I would think was the home page matchups show me the total from all 6 I had playing.

The score from my top 4 is around 85, but I’m seeing 105. Does anyone know if there is a way to have the app only show the top 4 combined?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0725.jpg

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag