2021 Fantasy Golf

STUDque
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Congrats to @blackngold_blood on being the 2021 MGS Fantasy Golf Champion. It was a honour to play this season and just a lot of fun as well! Thank you to all who participated and looking forward to next season as we all try to pull the golden ticket and title away from BNG. 

Screenshot 2021-09-07 14.31.40.png

21 minutes ago, Undershooter said:

As I have said previously, I prefer to pick players. Though I'm fairly certain the standings would look similar regardless of picking vs best ball though. The better fantasy players tend to rise to the top eventually. Point in case, the current leaders in the standings have won 2 of the 3 titles and the winner last year is currently in 8th. It all evens out for the most part.

I really would like to get back to matchups with everyone each week though.

Me too on that last part - I've gotten killed in the points against column. 😞

Having played both formats in football and golf I think its a misnomer to say that there is more strategy in one then the other - there is clearly a different strategy between the two but there is strategy involved never the less.  

IMO the bigger "luck" creator is when you have match ups that don't include everyone.  I'm taking huge advantage of that in baseball this week - I grabbed a guy whom I think the Rays will be calling up on June 1st based on other moves that they have made.  It's a risk because normally you need your entire roster and then some in fantasy baseball.  But I'm playing the last place team, I'm banking on him missing a few day games and not always having his best line up to help fill the void this week.  

Thus far it's working. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

20 minutes ago, revkev said:

Me too on that last part - I've gotten killed in the points against column. 😞

Having played both formats in football and golf I think its a misnomer to say that there is more strategy in one then the other - there is clearly a different strategy between the two but there is strategy involved never the less.  

IMO the bigger "luck" creator is when you have match ups that don't include everyone.  I'm taking huge advantage of that in baseball this week - I grabbed a guy whom I think the Rays will be calling up on June 1st based on other moves that they have made.  It's a risk because normally you need your entire roster and then some in fantasy baseball.  But I'm playing the last place team, I'm banking on him missing a few day games and not always having his best line up to help fill the void this week.  

Thus far it's working. 🙂

Yeah - I totally do not get the matchups in the league. It should be everyone or just 1 other team. I've given up trying to figure it out and just try to grab some guys off the wire that folks might have overlooked and try to get the most points that I can without worrying about what the other teams I'm matched up against do. 

I get it.
It's for fun. It's free. 

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

4 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

I don't know all the ins and outs of he system so not sure what it is entirely capable of. Can we do a split? Lock two in and take best of the rest from your team? Or pick 6 and best of those count? Something that is between both formats?

This is what we wanted to do initially. 10 on your roster, start 5, best 4 scores count. But nay, it’s all or nothing. I’m open to reducing the size to allow for all play again but the thought of two leagues with different rules makes me shudder. 

I do fundamentally disagree that the best ball format comes down to luck and the team you drafted. You can make your own luck by smart acquisitions and savvy trading…especially with how many trade partners there are and how deep the pool can be with rosters limited to 8. There’s a lot of hard decisions to make even in this current best ball format (case in point the waivers discussion) so I can’t ever see the champ being a fluke given how long and competitive the season is. For this reason, I think I’ll always be team best ball on those votes. The start/sit rules can lead to very frustrating weeks….especially if someone WDs.

We play for fun, to cheer for positive things to happen. It’s much more engaging if you’ve always got a shot to move up come Sunday. 

• Like 7

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

depends on how you define "fluke".... 😎

it will never happen because the mods will never give out 2 golden tickets. trust me on this...

If you take the champion of both leagues to play for that ticket, then we can see! Could do a 2 week playoff, each team has to just put the team together and leave it like now the other week you have to pick 4.....OOOOOO the mayhem!

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Good job Jamie... make a last minute switch to Grace because he is owned by more guys and go away from your go to gut guy in Whaley who has been so solid... also didn't bother dropping him for the player I wanted and now he WD. That is easily the worst move I have had so far this season.

• Sad 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Ok gentlemen. I’m thinking about moving JT!  It will take a haul to get him I think but seeing what’s out there. Just a heads up though. I already own the only 3 golfers that I would trade straight up for him.  Let’s hear some offers.  

Also to note Harris English or Cameron Tringale are not of any interest to me as I think they are overvalued. 

• Like 2

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

Ok gentlemen. I’m thinking about moving JT!  It will take a haul to get him I think but seeing what’s out there. Just a heads up though. I already own the only 3 golfers that I would trade straight up for him.  Let’s hear some offers.  

Also to note Harris English or Cameron Tringale are not of any interest to me as I think they are overvalued. 

Don’t you blaspheme the name of the great TRINGALEEEEEE

• Haha 4

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

15 minutes ago, STUDque said:

Don’t you blaspheme the name of the great TRINGALEEEEEE

755B155D-FAF5-4E79-B771-711BB3918A9D.gif.f397ed1c03cbee886a24835755e344ae.gif

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

6 hours ago, STUDque said:

We play for fun, to cheer for positive things to happen.

This 👍

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

22 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Yeah - I totally do not get the matchups in the league. It should be everyone or just 1 other team. I've given up trying to figure it out and just try to grab some guys off the wire that folks might have overlooked and try to get the most points that I can without worrying about what the other teams I'm matched up against do. 

I get it.
It's for fun. It's free. 

You say you don't like "flukes," but having only one matchup per week brings in the most flukey results possible. It's like someone making the fantasy football playoffs when their team is close to the bottom in points scored. They got lucky all season in their matchups.

The more matchups we have, the less flukey the results. We couldn't play everyone each week this season due to league size, so we set up the most matchups you could in a round robin fashion. It's not perfect, but it's much better than only having one matchup each week.

• Like 3

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Apparently NeSmith was not the pickup of the week 🤣 woof +9 through 27

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

14 minutes ago, Undershooter said:

You say you don't like "flukes," but having only one matchup per week brings in the most flukey results possible. It's like someone making the fantasy football playoffs when their team is close to the bottom in points scored. They got lucky all season in their matchups.

The more matchups we have, the less flukey the results. We couldn't play everyone each week this season due to league size, so we set up the most matchups you could in a round robin fashion. It's not perfect, but it's much better than only having one matchup each week.

nope; didn't say I don't like flukes... not sure where that came from.

If my team is matched up against another team head to head then I know exactly who they are starting or at least who they have on their roster and can strategize against it. Not sure how this is 'flukey' but at least I know what I'm up against. 

It's like match play vs stroke play; in match play I have to beat the guy I'm playing against; stroke play I have to beat the entire field. You either play the field or play one person.

23 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I know the feeling with Grace... Already dropped him. 

• Haha 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

4 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

If my team is matched up against another team head to head then I know exactly who they are starting or at least who they have on their roster and can strategize against it. Not sure how this is 'flukey' but at least I know what I'm up against. 

It's like match play vs stroke play; in match play I have to beat the guy I'm playing against; stroke play I have to beat the entire field. You either play the field or play one person.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, StrokerAce said:

if you want a competitive league where you've truly identified the winner then picking your starting lineup every week is the way to go. takes a lot of research and analysis to fill those 4 slots.

if you want a super casual league to see who gets lucky and drafts the best players then bestball format is the way to go.

I'm not the commish so my opinion doesn't really matter but having done both in football I can assure you that there is a massive difference between each.

On 5/27/2021 at 9:17 AM, StrokerAce said:

depends on how you define "fluke".... 😎

it will never happen because the mods will never give out 2 golden tickets. trust me on this...

You said lucky and fluke, but maybe the context was misunderstood. Regardless, more matchups brings in less luck.

I understand wanting to root against your opponents rosters, but that shouldn't effect building the optimal lineup. Basing lineups off of other people's rosters is like starting your backup QB in ffb because your starter is playing your starting defense. Rooting interests aren't good for setting lineups imo... Says the Rory fan who keeps going back to the well.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

20 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

The word fluke came in when I made a joke about my championship last year and it being a fluke because of the best ball format.

The one thing i can point to do far this season is total fantasy points earned the top teams are still the top teams so it's working this way, but I am sure we will all be happy to have it back to full field play regardless of starting 4 or best ball.

Here is the top however many based off fantasy points scored to date including today.

Screenshot_20210528_172310.jpg

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

So, I'm just going to put this out there because I brought it up in commissioner's chat Slack. Right now, the top 15 people in total points are the top 15 people on record in this league and the only one really overperforming his point total (10+ spots) is ironically @Undershooter who sits 2nd in the standings, but 15th in total points. The top 12 in the standings are all within one week's worth of games from each other.

Admittedly the next 15 spots right now are a bit more luck based in some spots, but I'd remind everyone that last season we got it pretty spot on with 29 of the top 30 teams in total points making the cut for the playoff and again, the only one who missed was a team who started super slow and picked it up after the restart with a great turnaround.

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

...I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that slack channel. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

...I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that slack channel. 🤣

Eh, just some memes, planning and a few roster and trade questions we bounce off each other to be honest. Right now we're trying to help @Bucky CCreplace his long lolongNike Rain jacket

• Hmmm 1

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Fun is the operative word here - no complaints from me - I have fun playing fantasy sports - I have one team, in FFB that's a money team - that one is fun too - I've won that league twice and finished second twice in 6 years - that's a significant amount of money.  That's fun

But honestly this is every bit as much fun - so cheers to our mods and commissioners for setting it up and keeping it running.  Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

7 hours ago, Lacassem said:

That's what's fun about this league.  During and immediately after the draft "Phil who?"  Now the hottest pick on the list 🤣

• Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)