TESTERS WANTED! ×

Winter Rounds?

Stuka44

Anyone else out there still getting in "winter"  rounds?  I've found two long sleeve layers, a vest, and walking instead of riding (I don't want to hear about golf cart covers, and heaters....)makes sub 45 degree rounds feel ok.  NOT GREAT!, BUT OK.  In case anyone is wondering  in December 50 degrees with mist in the air, was 100 times worse than the previous Saturday with 37 degrees and dry.  NEWS FLASH golf rain gloves, wet and sub 50  degrees do not provide ANY warmth.    Thinking of latex medical gloves under rain gloves?  And does anyone else who plays when the ground is frozen have any suggestions for a tee...  yes in case anyone's whose ground doesn't freeze is puzzled...you almost can't get a wooden tee in the ground....REALLY!  I was thinking of trying a .......WAIT FOR IT........ a Marshmallow...  ANYONE got any suggestions!   And yes I guess I would even like to hear from those of you who think (AND I'M AIR QUOTING NOW) mid 50's is cold.   I KNOW the easy answer is "stay inside you moron, it's 35 degrees outside"  I just can't do it!  The other day at my house (about 2 miles inland from Lake Erie) had 5 inches of snow in my yard (shoveled my drive before I left), from the lake to 1/2 mile inland there was truly no snow on the ground.  Played the course there!!!  What a break!!

THIS IS HUMOR, I HOLD NO ILL WILL TOWARDS THOSE OF YOU WHO LIVE WHERE IT NEVER GETS BELOW 50 (wish I did).

HOWEVER !!!!!  YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN AN APPROACH SHOT BOUND 30 FEET IN THE AIR, AFTER STRIKING A FROZEN GREEN ( TIP:  you have to try to land them short and bounce them up on).

And I am serious about the marshmallow thing, I need some suggestions for what could be used as a tee, that you don't have to stick in the ground. Hope this finds everyone well this Holiday Season...

P.S.  If we don't get the Lake Effect Snow they are talking about on Christmas Day, I will be at Erie Shores Golf Course at 9am on the 26th.... Believe the high is supposed to be 27 (Its a winter heat wave)  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Give Birtee's a look, that might be what you're looking for

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

11 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Give Birtee's a look, that might be what you're looking for

Holy Crap! That is just what I was looking for.  Still may try the marshmallow idea, and have the Birtee's as a "backup" 🤣.  Thanks!

25 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

Anyone else out there still getting in "winter"  rounds?  I've found two long sleeve layers, a vest, and walking instead of riding (I don't want to hear about golf cart covers, and heaters....)makes sub 45 degree rounds feel ok.  NOT GREAT!, BUT OK.  In case anyone is wondering  in December 50 degrees with mist in the air, was 100 times worse than the previous Saturday with 37 degrees and dry.  NEWS FLASH golf rain gloves, wet and sub 50  degrees do not provide ANY warmth.    Thinking of latex medical gloves under rain gloves?  And does anyone else who plays when the ground is frozen have any suggestions for a tee...  yes in case anyone's whose ground doesn't freeze is puzzled...you almost can't get a wooden tee in the ground....REALLY!  I was thinking of trying a .......WAIT FOR IT........ a Marshmallow...  ANYONE got any suggestions!   And yes I guess I would even like to hear from those of you who think (AND I'M AIR QUOTING NOW) mid 50's is cold.   I KNOW the easy answer is "stay inside you moron, it's 35 degrees outside"  I just can't do it!  The other day at my house (about 2 miles inland from Lake Erie) had 5 inches of snow in my yard (shoveled my drive before I left), from the lake to 1/2 mile inland there was truly no snow on the ground.  Played the course there!!!  What a break!!

THIS IS HUMOR, I HOLD NO ILL WILL TOWARDS THOSE OF YOU WHO LIVE WHERE IT NEVER GETS BELOW 50 (wish I did).

HOWEVER !!!!!  YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN AN APPROACH SHOT BOUND 30 FEET IN THE AIR, AFTER STRIKING A FROZEN GREEN ( TIP:  you have to try to land them short and bounce them up on).

And I am serious about the marshmallow thing, I need some suggestions for what could be used as a tee, that you don't have to stick in the ground. Hope this finds everyone well this Holiday Season...

P.S.  If we don't get the Lake Effect Snow they are talking about on Christmas Day, I will be at Erie Shores Golf Course at 9am on the 26th.... Believe the high is supposed to be 27 (Its a winter heat wave)  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

I've seen people use the Birtee or a similar all-rubber cone tees with fishing line tied to it and a fishing weight on the other end.  Then the tee doesn't go flying.

I have also used an ice pick... young'ens don't know what that is.  Pick up a pile of broken tees to put in the hole.

If you don't have these on your push cart, you need them!!  

https://www.amazon.com/ProActive-Sports-Ultimittens-Waterproof-Windproof/dp/B0068MCE2Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1CQXIBWBB4MCO&dchild=1&keywords=ultimittens&qid=1608654550&sprefix=ultimittens%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-1

ClicGear has their own mittens , but these are great.  Put little heaters in them for toastier hands.  

I don't wear gloves; winter or summer.  As long as I can keep my hands warm between shots, I'm fine.

Good luck!!  BTW, us old guys are used to playing short of the green and bouncing up.  It's an art that get's perfected from years of practice all year long!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny B

Thanks for the reply.   Going to look into Birtee's, I was thinking of actually bringing a hammer and large nail to "pre-drill" my tee holes, but I like the ice pick idea, depending on how the Birtee's hold up when they get cold.

3 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

Kenny B

Thanks for the reply.   Going to look into Birtee's, I was thinking of actually bringing a hammer and large nail to "pre-drill" my tee holes, but I like the ice pick idea, depending on how the Birtee's hold up when they get cold.

I also see you are using the E12 Soft Yellow ball.  I haven't tried that one, but for winter I have been "auditioning" a soft ball to replace my summer Tour ball.  No reason to play a Tour ball on greens that are very hard or frozen.  They feel better off the clubs, easier on the hands, and I get more distance with them.  My top two so far are Srixon Soft Feel and Titleist Tour Feel, both in yellow;  easier to see in the gray skies and dormant grass here.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, stuka44 said:

One of the best suggestions I got years ago was to purchase "matt tees".  The ones you'd see at the range.  Three pack and then you can zip knife them into different lengths for you to utilize in the winter.  Sucks when you hit them a bit fat and they go flying everywhere, but they seem to work quite well and eliminate trying to force a wooden or plastic tee into the frost ridden ground.  

And seeing as though i live in Central PA and winter is still part of our normal golf season if we want to play golf on the frequency that's required to stay in tune.  Though I will say once it gets down to like 20 degrees out there, I've a hard time even considering shouldering the bag and heading out for a round. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've seen people use the Birtee or a similar all-rubber cone tees with fishing line tied to it and a fishing weight on the other end.  Then the tee doesn't go flying.

I have also used an ice pick... young'ens don't know what that is.  Pick up a pile of broken tees to put in the hole.

If you don't have these on your push cart, you need them!!  

https://www.amazon.com/ProActive-Sports-Ultimittens-Waterproof-Windproof/dp/B0068MCE2Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1CQXIBWBB4MCO&dchild=1&keywords=ultimittens&qid=1608654550&sprefix=ultimittens%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-1

ClicGear has their own mittens , but these are great.  Put little heaters in them for toastier hands.  

I don't wear gloves; winter or summer.  As long as I can keep my hands warm between shots, I'm fine.

Good luck!!  BTW, us old guys are used to playing short of the green and bouncing up.  It's an art that get's perfected from years of practice all year long!!

Man, I've never thought of that hack.  I'm definitely going to have to try the fishing line and weight trick.  Cause I end up buying matt tees and lose them more frequently than I care to admit. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I also see you are using the E12 Soft Yellow ball.  I haven't tried that one, but for winter I have been "auditioning" a soft ball to replace my summer Tour ball.  No reason to play a Tour ball on greens that are very hard or frozen.  They feel better off the clubs, easier on the hands, and I get more distance with them.  My top two so far are Srixon Soft Feel and Titleist Tour Feel, both in yellow;  easier to see in the gray skies and dormant grass here.

I've even went with the Callaway or the Volvik balls in the winter.  The super soft types with the non-shiney exteriors.  I wouldn't typically play those over any of my TP5's but I find that they are so soft that they work well when the weathers cold and it doesn't really affect the compressions as much due to the cold.  

BNewt51

When I lived up north we used a Phillips screwdriver to make the hole for the tee. It not only was used for frozen ground but also in dry summer tee boxes. Would work similar to the ice pick mentioned but not as dangerous to carry in your golf bag.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 hours ago, stuka44 said:

Kenny B

If you are walking without a push cart, I suggest something to cover the tip of the ice pick.  😁

45 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Sounds like a man who speaks from experience. 😂

Yep!  It doesn't go in a pocket; yours or the bag's.  I mounted it on the pushcart.  Now I ride in a covered cart; throw it in the cubby.

Another vote for mittens.  I don't have the pushcart mittens; I have ones that look like boxing gloves.  It'll be interesting to see how I do with the remote for the motorized pushcart.  I can't speak to latex gloves under raingloves, but we were wearing latex gloves while coaching at the First Tee this summer.  Your hands will sweat like crazy, and it was impossible to grip a club.  I had to quit using the latex gloves and just use lots of hand sanitizer.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

My winter pre-round checklist:
FJ RainGrip pair of gloves (prefer it over the FJ WinterSof Pair)
Refillable Water bottle
Sleeve of KSig Golf Balls from Costco
black permanent ink marker
Kershaw EDC knife for ground repairs (like hot knife on butter on those hard ground at the tee box)
9 wooden tees
2 plastic Ball markers
TecTec Range finder
sunscreen + lip balm
to go isopropyl alcohol mini spray dispenser with carabiner
clean towel with magnetic attachment
brush cleaner
beanie layer for my oversized bucket hat
wool sweater for layering
golf clubs in carry bag
unload all unnecessary items in the bag - minimalist
and last but not the least is making sure I complete my warm up routine/stretching/foam rolling/ theragun at home prior to venturing out in the freezing cold morning

Plus pray and thank the Almighty that there is no frost delay, and you hit it long and straight throughout the day.

Then repeat it the next day/next round

Wishing all you a Safe and Happy New Year!!! Sandbaggers included

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk