Large hands vs Small hands

Our Sponsors

Just watched a clip of Trevino talking about Jack and how a player with small hands is more suited for the game because of their grip on the club. I also just read small hands should interlock, and larger hands should over lap. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

11 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

Just watched a clip of Trevino talking about Jack and how a player with small hands is more suited for the game because of their grip on the club. I also just read small hands should interlock, and larger hands should over lap. 

Thoughts?

The key is having the hands working together as one. Interlocking is the easiest way to keep the hands together. Having smaller hands works well with standard grips and interlocking. But myself having long fingers I had a tough time griping the club properly. My finger tips would dig into the palm of my hand and the club did not feel secure in my hand. I use a mid-size grip to allow for a proper grip on the club. All grip manufacturers make different sized grips so you can get the proper fit. Or extra layers of tape under the grip works well if you are in between sizes.  The correct grip size puts everyone back to having the proper grip on the club like Jack did. The larger the grip the more it weighs and will slightly change swing weight. I'm an odd ball I use a baseball grip on my woods but an interlocking grip on my irons.  A person with larger hands or long fingers will probably be more comfortable with the overlap if they do not go up in grip size. 

During a proper fitting all of this is looked at to come up with what works best for that golfer.

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, pulledabill said:

Thoughts?

It would interesting to see some data on this; physical hand size vs. tour career stats.  Might there be certain aspects of the game where hand size performs better or worse?  I wear a large size glove, but wouldn't consider my hands that big - wide palms yes, finger length average.  I changed from an interlock to overlap grip over 30 years ago; one of several things my instructor recommended.  It is the only thing that remains from that not so successful and really maddening period of my golf life.

And @Tom the Golf Nuthas it right.  Wishon speaks to assuring grip size is fitted to hand size; even has a table showing what is recommended.  But I'll bet a healthy number of us don't know what that optimum size is.  Interestingly, my recent TrueSpec fitting did not include that.  The fitter merely asked "how many wraps" on your current clubs?  I had know idea.  He peeled the rubber back a wee bit and said "1"... that's what went in the quote. 🤨  To me, subtleties such as this are what really make seperate a club fitting from a club fitting.  It seems like they should check to a standard and at least make sure it's not way off. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

You’re grip has to match your swing. In my opinion swing plane faults start with grip problems that make the independent arm movements conflict each other. Personally, I have small hands and just use an overlap grip because it’s comfortable. 

• Like 3

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I used a 10-finger grip when I started playing golf in 1991 because of softball; it felt comfortable.  I don't have large hands, but my fingers are long for their size.  I like midsize grips.  About 3 years ago I changed to an overlap grip.  I was told that my 10-finger grip was not the best grip for optimal clubhead speed because having hands that far separated effectively shortens the club.  I tried interlocking, but it hurt my skinny fingers.  It took me several weeks before it felt comfortable; now I don't even think about my grip anymore.  I honestly don't know for a fact that my speed increased, but I would try anything to gain more speed.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have small hands (small to medium glove size), and very skinny fingers. My ring size is about the same as the average woman's ring size.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

It’s interesting. Grip was never done and my tour van fitting. I also think I have slightly bigger hands but I like midsize grips interlocking. I tried overlapping and that never worked after trying for a month. 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

I wear an XL glove and use standard grips, but with 4 wraps. That equals a midsize grip more or less. I also interlock: my breakthrough was realizing that I held the club too deep in my palm as opposed to my fingers: my hands hold each other and my fingers hold the club.
I don’t mind overlap, but I find interlock keeps my hands working together, and that keeps my arms working together.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Id love to see something on pros with their hand size and type of grip. I also started with a baseball grip but went to interlock because of Jack. In the late 90s I went to overlap but changed back a few years ago. I wear xl glove. 

When I was hitting a few new drivers a few months ago, the fitter mentioned he would change my grip which would change my swing in a positive manner to square up the club face. 

• Like 2

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX