Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Using a line on a golf ball for putting

I have been considering a new method for putting to try and shave off as many strokes as possible. I have never used lines on a golf ball for aiming at the target. I’ve always been a feel player. For Christmas my father in law purchased me a golf ball marking tool. I’ve seen the data on the triple track and how beneficial it can be. I also just read this article that talked about some of the positives and negatives, https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/putting/should-you-use-line-on-golf-ball-top-100-teacher/amp/

I’ve tried it for a day or two now albeit only indoor putting on the perfect putt out. Results are positive initially as I feel more confident once I decide my line and aim point. Curious to see what other members think, and what kind of results they have had with the triple track or other ball alignment setup for putting. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Was part of the Align XL test that was putting this very theory in practice. I'm one of those rare people that did MUCH worse with an aiming aide (apparently Rory also has the same condition) but others have found it useful.

Check out the Align XL test here

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Using a line on the ball is personal preference and is often based on how you see the line of the putt and what you need to focus on to get the startline correct.   Some people use it for all putts, some for short putts only, and others not at all.   All you can do is experiment and see how it works for you.   Many people abandon it due to the parallax error that occurs if you don't see the line correctly. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm in the camp that they help.  This is the one I use and have been for over a year now, I use the center line and the 4 small lines parallel to the center.   I purchased it from Amazon for about $6.   If you have Amazon Prime it is a cheap option to try and see how you like a line or lines on the ball.  

61-dBKFDUrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I have used the line for years. For me it works better than no line. My process is to aim the line at the intended target line. I then go a few feet behind the ball to verify the target line.  I use an Odyssey Marksman Fang putter which has the long alignment line on the putter head. I align the line on the ball with the line on the putter and as much as a straight back straight through stroke as possible. 

I also use the line on my drives. My course has many tee boxes that are offset or on an angle to the fairway. I will align the line on the ball with where I want to hit the ball in the fairway. Then swing along the ball line Its just something that works for me.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I do not use a line.  I typically set the name logo along my intended path, however, I do not fixate on it being the exact line.  I use it more as a focusing aid for my eyes to help me remain centered and stay still over the ball throughout the stroke.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I really want to be better using a line, but I'm not. It makes me worse for whatever reason, my eyes see the line and the parallax error between them, the ball and the hole causes issues for me. I'm much better off not using a line. But I've given it a lot of effort and tries to make it work. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I don’t use any kind of line or the name on the ball at all, in fact I tend to put my ball where I see nothing at address.

I’ve tried the lines and the triple trac and they seem to “counter act” my normal putting methods. Most that know me or have played with me a time or 2 consider me a good putter....I average right around 27 putts a round and I haven’t had a 3 putt in my last 3 rounds.

I’m not sure why but the lines on the ball seem to cause me to block putts to the right...I look at my aim point when putting then back to the ball right before my stroke.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I use a single line when putting. Its the line I want to start the ball then all I need to worry about is speed. I am an avg putter usually 32-36 putts per round. I believe this higher number has more to do with proximity to the hole on approach shots. 

Someone mentioned using the line on tee shots/drives.  I haven't tried that but will try it out. I am someone that struggles with the driver and alignment. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

No line or anything. I actually turn my ball to a plain side. I find that thinking about anything other than the ball in the cup is a distraction.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

19 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

I'm in the camp that they help.  This is the one I use and have been for over a year now, I use the center line and the 4 small lines parallel to the center.   I purchased it from Amazon for about $6.   If you have Amazon Prime it is a cheap option to try and see how you like a line or lines on the ball.  

61-dBKFDUrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was gifted one similar to this for Christmas 

Titleist ProV1

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Using a line on the ball is personal preference and is often based on how you see the line of the putt and what you need to focus on to get the startline correct.   Some people use it for all putts, some for short putts only, and others not at all.   All you can do is experiment and see how it works for you.   Many people abandon it due to the parallax error that occurs if you don't see the line correctly. 

Thanks for bringing up the parallax. I just watched a video by Mike Malaska, who helped me get an understanding for the alignment and limiting the parallax 

Titleist ProV1

I use a line and found it really helps for short putts. Two summers ago, a couple of my partners were chuckling about using a line, last summer the same guys had drawn a line on their golf balls.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

48 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I use a line and found it really helps for short putts. Two summers ago, a couple of my partners were chuckling about using a line, last summer the same guys had drawn a line on their golf balls.

I’m gonna give it a go this year. I feel that it can’t hurt. Hope I am not changing too many variables. I have gone from standard to left hand low, also back to a double blade or mallet putter with a large aiming line

Titleist ProV1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:09 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have used the line for years. For me it works better than no line. My process is to aim the line at the intended target line. I then go a few feet behind the ball to verify the target line.  I use an Odyssey Marksman Fang putter which has the long alignment line on the putter head. I align the line on the ball with the line on the putter and as much as a straight back straight through stroke as possible. 

I also use the line on my drives. My course has many tee boxes that are offset or on an angle to the fairway. I will align the line on the ball with where I want to hit the ball in the fairway. Then swing along the ball line Its just something that works for me.  

Same for me, except I also mark another line perpendicular to one end of the alignment line forming a T.  I align the long alignment aid on my Ping putter with the alignment line, and also square the putter face to the top of the T line.

I always use the T to aim my tee shots.  Many times the tee markers are aimed when you do NOT want to go!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 12/28/2020 at 6:22 PM, RollingGreens said:

I have been considering a new method for putting to try and shave off as many strokes as possible. I have never used lines on a golf ball for aiming at the target. I’ve always been a feel player. For Christmas my father in law purchased me a golf ball marking tool. I’ve seen the data on the triple track and how beneficial it can be. I also just read this article that talked about some of the positives and negatives, https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/putting/should-you-use-line-on-golf-ball-top-100-teacher/amp/

I’ve tried it for a day or two now albeit only indoor putting on the perfect putt out. Results are positive initially as I feel more confident once I decide my line and aim point. Curious to see what other members think, and what kind of results they have had with the triple track or other ball alignment setup for putting. 

23 hours ago, TBT said:

I don’t use any kind of line or the name on the ball at all, in fact I tend to put my ball where I see nothing at address.

I’ve tried the lines and the triple trac and they seem to “counter act” my normal putting methods. Most that know me or have played with me a time or 2 consider me a good putter....I average right around 27 putts a round and I haven’t had a 3 putt in my last 3 rounds.

I’m not sure why but the lines on the ball seem to cause me to block putts to the right...I look at my aim point when putting then back to the ball right before my stroke.

Silly me, I thought everyone on tour used a line on their ball or the logo to line their putts up. Great article @RollingGreens. While reading the comments here made me think about a few things. I have always line up my putts with something on the ball, unless I am having a bad round and just a little heated. I also tend to not "line" the putts up when its my third putt no matter how close or far it is away from the hole. Want me to make a 10 footer for birder, pff probably not. You want me to drain a 15 footer for double bogie and it be my third putt, oh yeah middle of cup baby. I never thought there maybe a connection to how I putt until this thread, so this year I will be going the opposite directions and I will not be "lining" up my putts, ALL Feeel. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

There have been two “tests” that showed that using the line on the ball did not increase the number of made putts, etc. I’ve found that it adds significant amounts of time to my reads since getting the line just right takes a bit. I use my Aimpoint and go... I don’t care how the ball is sitting on the green. Makes no difference to me how it’s oriented.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

There have been two “tests” that showed that using the line on the ball did not increase the number of made putts, etc. I’ve found that it adds significant amounts of time to my reads since getting the line just right takes a bit. I use my Aimpoint and go... I don’t care how the ball is sitting on the green. Makes no difference to me how it’s oriented.

I wish I could say that it would add time for me but I may just follow the norm. I think this is going to help me strategize and come up with a sequence for putting going forward

Titleist ProV1

I use an intermediate point to line up the ball and putter face approx. 2-6" in front of the ball. Usually a specific blade of grass or some discoloration on the green. The line can help on shorter putts up to about 12-15' if I am having trouble identifying a specific spot to help aim. On lag putts 20'+ where speed is more important, the focus on line seems to lead to worse performance. 

One of the biggest benefits of the line is seeing if you are rolling it end over end or cutting across the ball. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 4 months later...

I’ve been marking the ball with three lines for the past 2 years, and for me, it’s helped my putting game. 

And as others have mentioned, if it’s a putt that’s 20-30+ ft, my intent is to just get the ball close to hole and judge the correct speed ... really don’t bother with lining up the putt. 

I’ll add that if there is significant break, of say 2 to 3 ft of right/left break, no matter the distance, I’ll put with the clean white side up. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

As others have said, it's personal preference. I personally cannot use any type of line on the ball without getting myself all screwed up. Picking a spot a few inches in front if the ball as my aim point has served me well, since I consider putting to be the strongest part of my admittedly anemic game.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I never even thought about doing this... I have to try it next time I play now, lol. Great idea!

I have been putting a line on my ball the last few years and have no clear proof if it did or didn't help my putting. I do it on anything I put intention into. My own mindset it set it and forget it. I will be marking my ball to clean it, I will need to ready the green and pick my aim point, if I set the line and "confirm" it I then ignore the line all together and only focus on the speed. It helps take that out of my mind and focus on only one thing at a time. 

I am a quick golfer. I played 18 holes walking in 2 hours 15 minutes (taking my time) and marked 90% of my putts. It doesn't take long if you its a clear part of your routine. If I place my mark back up decide I'm off, Ill adjust check again and still am not happy I just spin the ball and hit it by feel. In all it should take no more then 10 seconds with practice. The biggest point to make is if you don't fully trust the line its only a distraction. 

It is all personal preference and whatever works it what's important. I have tried to encourage my dad to try and it breaks his train of through enough that he doesn't want (and bending down more then necessary is avoided). I have tried lining up my drives but have had issues since my eyes are not directly above the ball and skews my aiming up. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver