Jump to content

What OEM is the best off the rack WITHOUT being fitted?


Buffly

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Is there an OEM that provides clubs that really do fit their consumers better than another OEM without having to be customized, custom fit, or changed from off the rack? For example, is the stock shaft true to flex, a good fit for length, loft, and lie, and the head design does what the marketing hype says?

I was reading comments all over talking about drivers being marketed with shafts that are too long, lofts that are too low and flexes that are too stiff than what a player needs. Then other people saying fitters fit based on distance wars. Then posts on launch monitor battles have created loft jacked clubs. 

Is any OEM cutting through the fringe with integrity?

I have a couple OEMs in mind, but I am curious what you all think?

I am not trying to eliminate getting fit. I am just asking if there are brands that fit more people closer to the stock offerings like the company just gets it!

  • Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post

This is probably very much down to the individual player rather than 'brand'.  What is a 'good fit - off the shelf' for you may not be ideal for me.

I would say most OEMs 'standard' will be 'ok' for many, but when it comes down to the details of length and lie angle then minor differences can make one a little better 'fit' for some than others (never mind the shaft).  Sometimes different heads just 'work' for you when another isn't quite as good.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I'm not sure how a company can "get it" when every single golfer out there has their own body type, height, arm length, stance, backswing, downswing, etc....?

I suppose Ping with their dot system might fit the OP's criteria, however the reality of the situation is that every person is different, hence the idea of the fitting.

  • Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to post

There are lots of good clubs out there, and most players can do just fine with most clubs.  I know that personalized fitting is the official way to go now, and really well-fit clubs can help you get to your potential best, but you can get dang close with off-the-rack clubs.  Get a set of Pings, or Titleist, Calloway, Taylor Made, or any of a number of other good sets of clubs, and you can play well.  The limiting factor on HOW well is always going to be you, not your equipment.

  • Like 8

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post

Just about all of the top OEMs offer a custom fitting system to get the right club or clubs in your hands to get the most out of them. When you think about it, the more OEMs can get their equipment to fit the potential end user, the better it makes them look as a brand. Every brand has their reputation at stake if the BS doesn't match with the performance.

First comes market coverage. OEMs will always gravitate towards equipment components that fit a wide spectrum of golfers - it's not much use to offer high-end or niche shafts that only fit a small portion of potential customers. Much better to have a shaft that fits 25% of the market population than one that fits 10% of the market. This is also aimed at cost and market trends. For this very reason, left handed golf clubs for instance are produced is much fewer quantities - simply because the target audience is smaller. Some OEMs won't even offer some options in lefty as there is either no market or profitability in it.

Secondly comes "options". This is sometimes free with some purchases but it also comes in the ubiquitous form of "upgrades" which the end user is well advised to try before buying to see if the cost is worth the potential benefit. A $300 shaft "upcharge"  is only worth the cost if it outweighs the "standard" or zero charge shaft by a long margin.

Lastly is integration. Do the woods offering fit in with hybrids? Do the hybrids compliment the irons? Do the game improvement irons fit in with the distance gapping of the players irons? Are the wedges matching or available? Can all of these be ordered at request? Pretty much all the major OEMs offer this kind of options with their range of clubs. You just need to make an informed choice of which brands suits your eye, your needs and your wallet. Demo days and "tour truck' visits are made for this kind of try before you buy sales pitch.

The long story short is "off the rack" is not really going to fit anyone specifically, but is engineered to "fit' an imaginary average golfer who will pay for a product without seeking any adjustment or optimisation for their physique and swing. If you can live with that proposal then fine. If you're looking for something more bespoke that can help improve or enhance your game, then you need to look beyond OTR and get fitted.

I really have no idea of why so many people are reluctant to get fitted. The cost isn't really that prohibitive (as discussed some options are free with some purchases), the pro is not going to ask you to strip naked and laugh (honest) and the potential improvements are massive. In fact, can you give one reason why buying OTR is better? I didn't think so.

  • Like 3
Link to post

Having had a chance to spend time with the top guys at equipment and shaft companies they design their equipment including the shaft options to work for the general public buy off the rack type of golfer. It’s been a while since I’ve did side by side comparisons of loft, lie and length but when if you look at clubs from each brand in the same category (SGI, GI, CB, etc) they are going to be very close to each other in the 3 measurements. 
 

they all tend to offer similar shafts as no upcharge. 

Similar with woods and hybrids. 

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post

That's a very tough question if you think about all the variables out there. 

If we're going to pin this down to Drivers, let's say... Well then you could select any driver that is adjustable and say they are the best for the average golfer off the rack.  Now, that is highly subjective because we know that shaft flex is a huge component and often times people don't exactly pick the right spec for them because of their ego in the way.  BUT, with the ability to adjust a driver down a couple degrees, up a couple degrees, play for fade or draw or the ability to even go flat or upright the Drivers are easily a category in the OEM department that one could say is easily a winner in the off the rack category.  

The same logic would apply to three wood, five wood and any variations of Hybrids out there that have the same abilities.  

When you get into wedges and or irons, however, I am like so many others in saying buying off the rack is a highly variable and expensive guessing game.  You might get it right some of the time, but odds are that you will select something that doesn't necessarily fit your game and struggle to adjust your swing to fit the club. (not the other way around)  

All things relative, as many have pointed out and I will simply reiterate it, getting fit (even if it's a half arse fitting) is far better and financially less risk than just going and picking something off the rack and hoping it works.  Unfortunately, in today's day and age the culture of wanting everything NOW quick and easy doesn't appreciate the idea that they're probably not helping themselves by doing so. 

Great question though. 

  • Like 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
56 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

There are lots of good clubs out there, and most players can do just fine with most clubs.  I know that personalized fitting is the official way to go now, and really well-fit clubs can help you get to your potential best, but you can get dang close with off-the-rack clubs.  Get a set of Pings, or Titleist, Calloway, Taylor Made, or any of a number of other good sets of clubs, and you can play well.  The limiting factor on HOW well is always going to be you, not your equipment.

The age old, it's not the club it's the swinger stance is absolutely positively 100% accurate!!  No one can buy a new game, you have to build it with practice and hard work!  Great answer. 

  • Like 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

There are lots of good clubs out there, and most players can do just fine with most clubs.  I know that personalized fitting is the official way to go now, and really well-fit clubs can help you get to your potential best, but you can get dang close with off-the-rack clubs.  Get a set of Pings, or Titleist, Calloway, Taylor Made, or any of a number of other good sets of clubs, and you can play well.  The limiting factor on HOW well is always going to be you, not your equipment.

+1, best answer. All the OEMs know what configurations will fit the most buyers, one isn’t better than another. Unless you’re under 5’7” or over 6’2”, unusual wrist to floor measurements, or disabled - off the rack with the right flex will probably be fine. Any big box store with a launch monitor can get your flex right, or make a very good guess by your age and (honest) driver distance. Length and lie aren’t as critical for most.

  • Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
47 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Just about all of the top OEMs offer a custom fitting system to get the right club or clubs in your hands to get the most out of them. When you think about it, the more OEMs can get their equipment to fit the potential end user, the better it makes them look as a brand. Every brand has their reputation at stake if the BS doesn't match with the performance.

First comes market coverage. OEMs will always gravitate towards equipment components that fit a wide spectrum of golfers - it's not much use to offer high-end or niche shafts that only fit a small portion of potential customers. Much better to have a shaft that fits 25% of the market population than one that fits 10% of the market. This is also aimed at cost and market trends. For this very reason, left handed golf clubs for instance are produced is much fewer quantities - simply because the target audience is smaller. Some OEMs won't even offer some options in lefty as there is either no market or profitability in it.

Secondly comes "options". This is sometimes free with some purchases but it also comes in the ubiquitous form of "upgrades" which the end user is well advised to try before buying to see if the cost is worth the potential benefit. A $300 shaft "upcharge"  is only worth the cost if it outweighs the "standard" or zero charge shaft by a long margin.

Lastly is integration. Do the woods offering fit in with hybrids? Do the hybrids compliment the irons? Do the game improvement irons fit in with the distance gapping of the players irons? Are the wedges matching or available? Can all of these be ordered at request? Pretty much all the major OEMs offer this kind of options with their range of clubs. You just need to make an informed choice of which brands suits your eye, your needs and your wallet. Demo days and "tour truck' visits are made for this kind of try before you buy sales pitch.

The long story short is "off the rack" is not really going to fit anyone specifically, but is engineered to "fit' an imaginary average golfer who will pay for a product without seeking any adjustment or optimisation for their physique and swing. If you can live with that proposal then fine. If you're looking for something more bespoke that can help improve or enhance your game, then you need to look beyond OTR and get fitted.

I really have no idea of why so many people are reluctant to get fitted. The cost isn't really that prohibitive (as discussed some options are free with some purchases), the pro is not going to ask you to strip naked and laugh (honest) and the potential improvements are massive. In fact, can you give one reason why buying OTR is better? I didn't think so.

Absolutely agree with this post.  I would offer the obstacle for why most individuals won't get fit is EGO!  

Most average golfers know that they are, well average.  And as such they don't really covet having someone watch them swing their club and then measure their performance against the results.  While that truly is the ONLY way one can get the best out of a club purchase and well let's be honest the best out of their game if they're in a lesson; Most individuals I am convinced despise the thought of stepping up there telling a fitter they hit their 7 iron 180 yards only to find that they are barely cracking the 150 mark.   Anyone who know's golf would look at that number and say that's perfectly fine as long as you can keep repeating it and count on it every time you're faced with that shot, the average golfer's ego can't bare the though of not showing up like their mind's eye is telling them they do. 

I'm not so sure that the cost is a restrictive factor as it's fairly well publicized that if you go for a fitting and buy clubs they don't charge you for the fitting at most places.  Perhaps I am wrong on this for some, but if you go to someone worth going to for a fit they will 100% of the time include their time in fitting you in the purchase of those new sticks.  Perhaps they are going to some cut-throat place that tries to screw them and charge for both, but if that's the case you just don't go there. 

Recently was in Dicks and witnessed a guy getting fit for Mizuno's there. (First time I ever saw a Mizuno at Dicks because that's typically out of their skill-sets and they aren't really knowledgeable to fit any clubs but I digress.  Witness the salesman tell the guy that he had the option of two shafts and if he wanted something else it would be a $20 upcharge.  Now the guy was going through the fitting process so they already had him screwed because he would have had to pay their fitting fee if he didn't buy there.  When the guy was looking at the clubs and the salesman walked away I meandered over to him and mentioned that Mizuno has a policy where there is no additional fee for ANY shaft you select and or grip selection.  That's purely a Dicks Sporting Goods line they were giving him.  He looked at me shocked and said, "Wish I knew that before hand cause I would have went elsewhere to get these..."  I think he ended up just paying the fee for the fitting, took his numbers and went elsewhere though.  He actually walked over to me while I was just looking around and said thanks for the info cause he was about to pay ridiculously for something he didn't really need too...

  • Like 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
21 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I'm not so sure that the cost is a restrictive factor as it's fairly well publicized that if you go for a fitting and buy clubs they don't charge you for the fitting at most places.  Perhaps I am wrong on this for some, but if you go to someone worth going to for a fit they will 100% of the time include their time in fitting you in the purchase of those new sticks.  Perhaps they are going to some cut-throat place that tries to screw them and charge for both, but if that's the case you just don't go there. 

Maybe Dick’s or Golf Galaxy won’t, but Club Champion, True Spec and other big names will charge you handsomely for the fitting whether you buy clubs or not...

  • Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
1 minute ago, Middler said:

Club Champion and True Spec will charge you for the fitting whether you buy clubs or not...

That's truly a shame!  Not sure why anyone would waste their money at a place like that when they could go elsewhere and get the exact same ON PAR type of fitting with someone who can provide the same services without up-charging anything.  

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
32 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

That's truly a shame!  Not sure why anyone would waste their money at a place like that when they could go elsewhere and get the exact same ON PAR type of fitting with someone who can provide the same services without up-charging anything.  

At places like CC, Tourspec, TXG you are paying for the time of the fitter. That is the primary business model for those places. Their fitters tend to be on the better side in the industry (not always the case). Their costs for fittings really aren’t that high if one considers the amount of time spent and for what the fitting is for. 
 

Iirc at CC it’s between $300-400 for a full bag fitting that takes 3-4 hours on average. That’s $100/hour give or take. Fittings in the DC area with a good fitter and a course or range is going to run $75-100 in most places for an hour. 
 

The CC iron fittings are about $150 for about 90 minutes. 
 

TXG has their fitting prices and if you want to get fit with Ian it’s going to cost extra.

The club building costs and process at these places is another subject and where many get turned off by the business model.

 

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

At places like CC, Tourspec, TXG you are paying for the time of the fitter. That is the primary business model for those places. Their fitters tend to be on the better side in the industry (not always the case). Their costs for fittings really aren’t that high if one considers the amount of time spent and for what the fitting is for. 
 

Iirc at CC it’s between $300-400 for a full bag fitting that takes 3-4 hours on average. That’s $100/hour give or take. Fittings in the DC area with a good fitter and a course or range is going to run $75-100 in most places for an hour. 
 

The CC iron fittings are about $150 for about 90 minutes. 
 

TXG has their fitting prices and if you want to get fit with Ian it’s going to cost extra.

The club building costs and process at these places is another subject and where many get turned off by the business model.

 

Understood and agreed!  If you're going to an expert, there is an understanding that those individuals must be compensated for their time.  

Where that deviates, in some cases, is you can go to a place like a 2nd Swing and get fit with an expert PGA pro.  I'd reference my experience in the Wilmington store where I was fit by Joe Guillebeau.  I had done the tour experience fitting when I replaced some irons with him and I'd have to say that my experience was better than any I've ever experienced.  Now, had I decided to do the Tour Experience fitting and NOT bought clubs yes the model would dictate that I'm paying the man a couple hunderd dollars for his time and the use of the hitting bay.  However, when buying clubs at a place like this you would have those fees negated and you'd pay only for the Iron's or clubs in general that you buy.  

Like any business, I think we all can understand (begrudgingly) that there is a cost to everything.  I don't dispute that the business should benefit from the services that they offer.  Where I do deviate though is that in some case I think the price gouging is abhorrent.  In Central PA there really isn't too many options outside of your Country Clubs, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc.  Those types of places offer a service that isn't on par with some of those types of fitters you previously mentioned.  Just the same, though, if we had a place like a TXG locally and you're going to a guy who is pretty much recognized world wide for his expertise it is FULLY acceptable that you understand you're going to pay for his time.  I don't think I'd bat an eye at that if I went that route.  

Alas, here in ole cen pen, we're traveling an hour or two if we want to get anything remotely close to that type of an experience.  I don't mind the drive, but I would assume that many around here probably just chalk up the drive and say I'll take my chances buying online after I watch a couple videos and see if I can hit a bullseye.   

  • Hmmm 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Middler said:

Maybe Dick’s or Golf Galaxy won’t, but Club Champion, True Spec and other big names will charge you handsomely for the fitting whether you buy clubs or not...

I guess someone else pointed it out that if you go to a place like Club Champion or True Spec you're getting charged because of their expertise?  I'm not so sure that I still agree with that, when you're dropping money on something that they are making 30%+ margin on.  Having worked in the Golf Industry for a while in my younger days I know there's not a LOT of margin in clubs, BUT if you add in a charge for the fitting and the margin, those types of places are making out hand over fist.  Not to mention if they charge you for any adjustments that you ask to have done and or swapping of shafts or grips.  

Regardless, if someone place has what I want and it's the only place I can get it I'll no doubt still frequent their establishment.  Fortunately enough, though, there are plenty of spots where you can go and get what you want / need without all the extra charges. 

  • Hmmm 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I guess someone else pointed it out that if you go to a place like Club Champion or True Spec you're getting charged because of their expertise?  I'm not so sure that I still agree with that, when you're dropping money on something that they are making 30%+ margin on.  Having worked in the Golf Industry for a while in my younger days I know there's not a LOT of margin in clubs, BUT if you add in a charge for the fitting and the margin, those types of places are making out hand over fist.  Not to mention if they charge you for any adjustments that you ask to have done and or swapping of shafts or grips.  

Regardless, if someone place has what I want and it's the only place I can get it I'll no doubt still frequent their establishment.  Fortunately enough, though, there are plenty of spots where you can go and get what you want / need without all the extra charges. 

At least with Club Champion, if you get a custom shaft, you get to pay for two shafts, two grips and two adaptors (where applicable too). IOW if you buy a Mavrik driver with an aftermarket shaft, you will pay full retail for a Mavrik driver (even though you don't get the standard shaft, grip or adaptor) AND full retail for the aftermarket shaft, grip and adaptor. I guess they can't or don't just buy heads at even a modestly lower price from the OEMs.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
22 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Understood and agreed!  If you're going to an expert, there is an understanding that those individuals must be compensated for their time.  

Where that deviates, in some cases, is you can go to a place like a 2nd Swing and get fit with an expert PGA pro.  I'd reference my experience in the Wilmington store where I was fit by Joe Guillebeau.  I had done the tour experience fitting when I replaced some irons with him and I'd have to say that my experience was better than any I've ever experienced.  Now, had I decided to do the Tour Experience fitting and NOT bought clubs yes the model would dictate that I'm paying the man a couple hunderd dollars for his time and the use of the hitting bay.  However, when buying clubs at a place like this you would have those fees negated and you'd pay only for the Iron's or clubs in general that you buy.  

Like any business, I think we all can understand (begrudgingly) that there is a cost to everything.  I don't dispute that the business should benefit from the services that they offer.  Where I do deviate though is that in some case I think the price gouging is abhorrent.  In Central PA there really isn't too many options outside of your Country Clubs, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc.  Those types of places offer a service that isn't on par with some of those types of fitters you previously mentioned.  Just the same, though, if we had a place like a TXG locally and you're going to a guy who is pretty much recognized world wide for his expertise it is FULLY acceptable that you understand you're going to pay for his time.  I don't think I'd bat an eye at that if I went that route.  

Alas, here in ole cen pen, we're traveling an hour or two if we want to get anything remotely close to that type of an experience.  I don't mind the drive, but I would assume that many around here probably just chalk up the drive and say I'll take my chances buying online after I watch a couple videos and see if I can hit a bullseye.   

You are comparing two different business models. My fitter like 2nd swing and similar places that are in the business of selling clubs take the price of the fitting off the purchase of the clubs if you buy from them.

CC and similar places aren’t in the business of selling clubs, they are selling a fitting service. The clubs sales and build are an added service they offer. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Middler said:

At least with Club Champion, if you get a custom shaft, you get to pay for two shafts, two grips and two adaptors (where applicable too). IOW if you buy a Mavrik driver with an aftermarket shaft, you will pay full retail for a Mavrik driver (even though you don't get the standard shaft, grip or adaptor) AND full retail for the aftermarket shaft, grip and adaptor. I guess they can't or don't just buy heads at even a modestly lower price from the OEMs.

That would be part of my complaint about the way these businesses are conducting themselves.  Of course, free markets and economic principles dictate whatever the market will bare is what the market will bare.  You can't fault them for people going in and throwing their hard-earned money at them to make a purchase for the full price of the club and the full price of an aftermarket shaft.  Funny, though, that the same club can be ordered with whatever shaft it is you're looking for probably at a lower price then what you're going to pay at one of those establishments.  

Funny though that we all are aware and prescribe to the "get fit" mantra.  Heck, I'm one of the biggest proponents of it. Yet, we all know that the system if flawed and actually costs you more money than it's probably worth at the end of the day at many of the establishments available to us.  Guess like someone else said, do your homework and research the places.  Chances are that you'll find a place that fits your budget and what you're willing to spend and then just go there. 

  • Hmmm 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are comparing two different business models. My fitter like 2nd swing and similar places that are in the business of selling clubs take the price of the fitting off the purchase of the clubs if you buy from them.

CC and similar places aren’t in the business of selling clubs, they are selling a fitting service. The clubs sales and build are an added service they offer. 

Oh, no I completely understand the point you're making.  And I wouldn't dispute it in any way shape or form. 

What I would say about a CC or similar establishment is that they are selling a service but they guise it as a place to get golf equipment.  You can't market yourself as a service oriented establishment and then say but we'll sell you the clubs and upcharge you without people taking exception to it. 

That said, however, I am one that would say if CC or whatever establishment you choose to go to is within your budget and you're willing to pay for the exact service / product they are offering then there is no right or wrong.  It fits for YOU.  And that's ok.  I personally just wouldn't go to a place such as that to pay twice, in some cases, for products that I could go elsewhere to get and only pay once.  

Even saying that though it comes down to what the market will bare and if it bares out that those businesses can thrive with what they are doing, then god bless them!  

  • Hmmm 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
18 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Oh, no I completely understand the point you're making.  And I wouldn't dispute it in any way shape or form. 

What I would say about a CC or similar establishment is that they are selling a service but they guise it as a place to get golf equipment.  You can't market yourself as a service oriented establishment and then say but we'll sell you the clubs and upcharge you without people taking exception to it. 

That said, however, I am one that would say if CC or whatever establishment you choose to go to is within your budget and you're willing to pay for the exact service / product they are offering then there is no right or wrong.  It fits for YOU.  And that's ok.  I personally just wouldn't go to a place such as that to pay twice, in some cases, for products that I could go elsewhere to get and only pay once.  

Even saying that though it comes down to what the market will bare and if it bares out that those businesses can thrive with what they are doing, then god bless them!  

Nobody is forced to buy from those places and like any place communication is key. I’ve heard of some that never pushed the golfer to buy from them even if it wasn’t communicated by the golfer they weren’t looking to buy or not.

Those who go in and say I’m here for a fitting or I want to see if my current setup Is optimal that’s what they get. Those who walk in and say they are looking for a fitting but aren’t buying from them and they have a budget that they are looking at so they don’t want any upcharge shafts the fitter works with that too and they fit within that scope.

im not defending their business model or their practices but a consumer regardless of the product get the experience they prepare for. Yes people including those on this forum and others have had negative experiences with these places based on expectations they had in their mind from and some without a solid game plan for their experience.

before judging a business for their “questionable” practices or whatever one wants to call it the person should look at the whole picture and why these businesses get the bad rep. Is it the person who went in unprepared for what the place was about or is was it the establishments fault.

Some of these businesses have bad fitters from the knowledge level, the personality/customer interaction skills of the fitter, both or something else but that can be had at any place.

 

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...