TESTERS WANTED! ×

What OEM is the best off the rack WITHOUT being fitted?

Buffly

Is there an OEM that provides clubs that really do fit their consumers better than another OEM without having to be customized, custom fit, or changed from off the rack? For example, is the stock shaft true to flex, a good fit for length, loft, and lie, and the head design does what the marketing hype says?

I was reading comments all over talking about drivers being marketed with shafts that are too long, lofts that are too low and flexes that are too stiff than what a player needs. Then other people saying fitters fit based on distance wars. Then posts on launch monitor battles have created loft jacked clubs. 

Is any OEM cutting through the fringe with integrity?

I have a couple OEMs in mind, but I am curious what you all think?

I am not trying to eliminate getting fit. I am just asking if there are brands that fit more people closer to the stock offerings like the company just gets it!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

This is probably very much down to the individual player rather than 'brand'.  What is a 'good fit - off the shelf' for you may not be ideal for me.

I would say most OEMs 'standard' will be 'ok' for many, but when it comes down to the details of length and lie angle then minor differences can make one a little better 'fit' for some than others (never mind the shaft).  Sometimes different heads just 'work' for you when another isn't quite as good.

I'm not sure how a company can "get it" when every single golfer out there has their own body type, height, arm length, stance, backswing, downswing, etc....?

I suppose Ping with their dot system might fit the OP's criteria, however the reality of the situation is that every person is different, hence the idea of the fitting.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

There are lots of good clubs out there, and most players can do just fine with most clubs.  I know that personalized fitting is the official way to go now, and really well-fit clubs can help you get to your potential best, but you can get dang close with off-the-rack clubs.  Get a set of Pings, or Titleist, Calloway, Taylor Made, or any of a number of other good sets of clubs, and you can play well.  The limiting factor on HOW well is always going to be you, not your equipment.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just about all of the top OEMs offer a custom fitting system to get the right club or clubs in your hands to get the most out of them. When you think about it, the more OEMs can get their equipment to fit the potential end user, the better it makes them look as a brand. Every brand has their reputation at stake if the BS doesn't match with the performance.

First comes market coverage. OEMs will always gravitate towards equipment components that fit a wide spectrum of golfers - it's not much use to offer high-end or niche shafts that only fit a small portion of potential customers. Much better to have a shaft that fits 25% of the market population than one that fits 10% of the market. This is also aimed at cost and market trends. For this very reason, left handed golf clubs for instance are produced is much fewer quantities - simply because the target audience is smaller. Some OEMs won't even offer some options in lefty as there is either no market or profitability in it.

Secondly comes "options". This is sometimes free with some purchases but it also comes in the ubiquitous form of "upgrades" which the end user is well advised to try before buying to see if the cost is worth the potential benefit. A $300 shaft "upcharge"  is only worth the cost if it outweighs the "standard" or zero charge shaft by a long margin.

Lastly is integration. Do the woods offering fit in with hybrids? Do the hybrids compliment the irons? Do the game improvement irons fit in with the distance gapping of the players irons? Are the wedges matching or available? Can all of these be ordered at request? Pretty much all the major OEMs offer this kind of options with their range of clubs. You just need to make an informed choice of which brands suits your eye, your needs and your wallet. Demo days and "tour truck' visits are made for this kind of try before you buy sales pitch.

The long story short is "off the rack" is not really going to fit anyone specifically, but is engineered to "fit' an imaginary average golfer who will pay for a product without seeking any adjustment or optimisation for their physique and swing. If you can live with that proposal then fine. If you're looking for something more bespoke that can help improve or enhance your game, then you need to look beyond OTR and get fitted.

I really have no idea of why so many people are reluctant to get fitted. The cost isn't really that prohibitive (as discussed some options are free with some purchases), the pro is not going to ask you to strip naked and laugh (honest) and the potential improvements are massive. In fact, can you give one reason why buying OTR is better? I didn't think so.

Having had a chance to spend time with the top guys at equipment and shaft companies they design their equipment including the shaft options to work for the general public buy off the rack type of golfer. It’s been a while since I’ve did side by side comparisons of loft, lie and length but when if you look at clubs from each brand in the same category (SGI, GI, CB, etc) they are going to be very close to each other in the 3 measurements. 

they all tend to offer similar shafts as no upcharge. 

Similar with woods and hybrids. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That's a very tough question if you think about all the variables out there. 

If we're going to pin this down to Drivers, let's say... Well then you could select any driver that is adjustable and say they are the best for the average golfer off the rack.  Now, that is highly subjective because we know that shaft flex is a huge component and often times people don't exactly pick the right spec for them because of their ego in the way.  BUT, with the ability to adjust a driver down a couple degrees, up a couple degrees, play for fade or draw or the ability to even go flat or upright the Drivers are easily a category in the OEM department that one could say is easily a winner in the off the rack category.  

The same logic would apply to three wood, five wood and any variations of Hybrids out there that have the same abilities.  

When you get into wedges and or irons, however, I am like so many others in saying buying off the rack is a highly variable and expensive guessing game.  You might get it right some of the time, but odds are that you will select something that doesn't necessarily fit your game and struggle to adjust your swing to fit the club. (not the other way around)  

All things relative, as many have pointed out and I will simply reiterate it, getting fit (even if it's a half arse fitting) is far better and financially less risk than just going and picking something off the rack and hoping it works.  Unfortunately, in today's day and age the culture of wanting everything NOW quick and easy doesn't appreciate the idea that they're probably not helping themselves by doing so. 

Great question though. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

56 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

There are lots of good clubs out there, and most players can do just fine with most clubs.  I know that personalized fitting is the official way to go now, and really well-fit clubs can help you get to your potential best, but you can get dang close with off-the-rack clubs.  Get a set of Pings, or Titleist, Calloway, Taylor Made, or any of a number of other good sets of clubs, and you can play well.  The limiting factor on HOW well is always going to be you, not your equipment.

The age old, it's not the club it's the swinger stance is absolutely positively 100% accurate!!  No one can buy a new game, you have to build it with practice and hard work!  Great answer. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

+1, best answer. All the OEMs know what configurations will fit the most buyers, one isn’t better than another. Unless you’re under 5’7” or over 6’2”, unusual wrist to floor measurements, or disabled - off the rack with the right flex will probably be fine. Any big box store with a launch monitor can get your flex right, or make a very good guess by your age and (honest) driver distance. Length and lie aren’t as critical for most.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
47 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Just about all of the top OEMs offer a custom fitting system to get the right club or clubs in your hands to get the most out of them. When you think about it, the more OEMs can get their equipment to fit the potential end user, the better it makes them look as a brand. Every brand has their reputation at stake if the BS doesn't match with the performance.

First comes market coverage. OEMs will always gravitate towards equipment components that fit a wide spectrum of golfers - it's not much use to offer high-end or niche shafts that only fit a small portion of potential customers. Much better to have a shaft that fits 25% of the market population than one that fits 10% of the market. This is also aimed at cost and market trends. For this very reason, left handed golf clubs for instance are produced is much fewer quantities - simply because the target audience is smaller. Some OEMs won't even offer some options in lefty as there is either no market or profitability in it.

Secondly comes "options". This is sometimes free with some purchases but it also comes in the ubiquitous form of "upgrades" which the end user is well advised to try before buying to see if the cost is worth the potential benefit. A $300 shaft "upcharge"  is only worth the cost if it outweighs the "standard" or zero charge shaft by a long margin.

Lastly is integration. Do the woods offering fit in with hybrids? Do the hybrids compliment the irons? Do the game improvement irons fit in with the distance gapping of the players irons? Are the wedges matching or available? Can all of these be ordered at request? Pretty much all the major OEMs offer this kind of options with their range of clubs. You just need to make an informed choice of which brands suits your eye, your needs and your wallet. Demo days and "tour truck' visits are made for this kind of try before you buy sales pitch.

The long story short is "off the rack" is not really going to fit anyone specifically, but is engineered to "fit' an imaginary average golfer who will pay for a product without seeking any adjustment or optimisation for their physique and swing. If you can live with that proposal then fine. If you're looking for something more bespoke that can help improve or enhance your game, then you need to look beyond OTR and get fitted.

I really have no idea of why so many people are reluctant to get fitted. The cost isn't really that prohibitive (as discussed some options are free with some purchases), the pro is not going to ask you to strip naked and laugh (honest) and the potential improvements are massive. In fact, can you give one reason why buying OTR is better? I didn't think so.

Absolutely agree with this post.  I would offer the obstacle for why most individuals won't get fit is EGO!  

Most average golfers know that they are, well average.  And as such they don't really covet having someone watch them swing their club and then measure their performance against the results.  While that truly is the ONLY way one can get the best out of a club purchase and well let's be honest the best out of their game if they're in a lesson; Most individuals I am convinced despise the thought of stepping up there telling a fitter they hit their 7 iron 180 yards only to find that they are barely cracking the 150 mark.   Anyone who know's golf would look at that number and say that's perfectly fine as long as you can keep repeating it and count on it every time you're faced with that shot, the average golfer's ego can't bare the though of not showing up like their mind's eye is telling them they do. 

I'm not so sure that the cost is a restrictive factor as it's fairly well publicized that if you go for a fitting and buy clubs they don't charge you for the fitting at most places.  Perhaps I am wrong on this for some, but if you go to someone worth going to for a fit they will 100% of the time include their time in fitting you in the purchase of those new sticks.  Perhaps they are going to some cut-throat place that tries to screw them and charge for both, but if that's the case you just don't go there. 

Recently was in Dicks and witnessed a guy getting fit for Mizuno's there. (First time I ever saw a Mizuno at Dicks because that's typically out of their skill-sets and they aren't really knowledgeable to fit any clubs but I digress.  Witness the salesman tell the guy that he had the option of two shafts and if he wanted something else it would be a $20 upcharge.  Now the guy was going through the fitting process so they already had him screwed because he would have had to pay their fitting fee if he didn't buy there.  When the guy was looking at the clubs and the salesman walked away I meandered over to him and mentioned that Mizuno has a policy where there is no additional fee for ANY shaft you select and or grip selection.  That's purely a Dicks Sporting Goods line they were giving him.  He looked at me shocked and said, "Wish I knew that before hand cause I would have went elsewhere to get these..."  I think he ended up just paying the fee for the fitting, took his numbers and went elsewhere though.  He actually walked over to me while I was just looking around and said thanks for the info cause he was about to pay ridiculously for something he didn't really need too...

BNewt51

21 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I'm not so sure that the cost is a restrictive factor as it's fairly well publicized that if you go for a fitting and buy clubs they don't charge you for the fitting at most places.  Perhaps I am wrong on this for some, but if you go to someone worth going to for a fit they will 100% of the time include their time in fitting you in the purchase of those new sticks.  Perhaps they are going to some cut-throat place that tries to screw them and charge for both, but if that's the case you just don't go there. 

Maybe Dick’s or Golf Galaxy won’t, but Club Champion, True Spec and other big names will charge you handsomely for the fitting whether you buy clubs or not...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
1 minute ago, Middler said:

Club Champion and True Spec will charge you for the fitting whether you buy clubs or not...

That's truly a shame!  Not sure why anyone would waste their money at a place like that when they could go elsewhere and get the exact same ON PAR type of fitting with someone who can provide the same services without up-charging anything.  

BNewt51

32 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

That's truly a shame!  Not sure why anyone would waste their money at a place like that when they could go elsewhere and get the exact same ON PAR type of fitting with someone who can provide the same services without up-charging anything.  

At places like CC, Tourspec, TXG you are paying for the time of the fitter. That is the primary business model for those places. Their fitters tend to be on the better side in the industry (not always the case). Their costs for fittings really aren’t that high if one considers the amount of time spent and for what the fitting is for. 

Iirc at CC it’s between $300-400 for a full bag fitting that takes 3-4 hours on average. That’s $100/hour give or take. Fittings in the DC area with a good fitter and a course or range is going to run $75-100 in most places for an hour. 

The CC iron fittings are about $150 for about 90 minutes. 

TXG has their fitting prices and if you want to get fit with Ian it’s going to cost extra.

The club building costs and process at these places is another subject and where many get turned off by the business model.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

At places like CC, Tourspec, TXG you are paying for the time of the fitter. That is the primary business model for those places. Their fitters tend to be on the better side in the industry (not always the case). Their costs for fittings really aren’t that high if one considers the amount of time spent and for what the fitting is for. 

Iirc at CC it’s between $300-400 for a full bag fitting that takes 3-4 hours on average. That’s $100/hour give or take. Fittings in the DC area with a good fitter and a course or range is going to run $75-100 in most places for an hour. 

The CC iron fittings are about $150 for about 90 minutes. 

TXG has their fitting prices and if you want to get fit with Ian it’s going to cost extra.

The club building costs and process at these places is another subject and where many get turned off by the business model.

Understood and agreed!  If you're going to an expert, there is an understanding that those individuals must be compensated for their time.  

Where that deviates, in some cases, is you can go to a place like a 2nd Swing and get fit with an expert PGA pro.  I'd reference my experience in the Wilmington store where I was fit by Joe Guillebeau.  I had done the tour experience fitting when I replaced some irons with him and I'd have to say that my experience was better than any I've ever experienced.  Now, had I decided to do the Tour Experience fitting and NOT bought clubs yes the model would dictate that I'm paying the man a couple hunderd dollars for his time and the use of the hitting bay.  However, when buying clubs at a place like this you would have those fees negated and you'd pay only for the Iron's or clubs in general that you buy.  

Like any business, I think we all can understand (begrudgingly) that there is a cost to everything.  I don't dispute that the business should benefit from the services that they offer.  Where I do deviate though is that in some case I think the price gouging is abhorrent.  In Central PA there really isn't too many options outside of your Country Clubs, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc.  Those types of places offer a service that isn't on par with some of those types of fitters you previously mentioned.  Just the same, though, if we had a place like a TXG locally and you're going to a guy who is pretty much recognized world wide for his expertise it is FULLY acceptable that you understand you're going to pay for his time.  I don't think I'd bat an eye at that if I went that route.  

Alas, here in ole cen pen, we're traveling an hour or two if we want to get anything remotely close to that type of an experience.  I don't mind the drive, but I would assume that many around here probably just chalk up the drive and say I'll take my chances buying online after I watch a couple videos and see if I can hit a bullseye.   

BNewt51

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Maybe Dick’s or Golf Galaxy won’t, but Club Champion, True Spec and other big names will charge you handsomely for the fitting whether you buy clubs or not...

I guess someone else pointed it out that if you go to a place like Club Champion or True Spec you're getting charged because of their expertise?  I'm not so sure that I still agree with that, when you're dropping money on something that they are making 30%+ margin on.  Having worked in the Golf Industry for a while in my younger days I know there's not a LOT of margin in clubs, BUT if you add in a charge for the fitting and the margin, those types of places are making out hand over fist.  Not to mention if they charge you for any adjustments that you ask to have done and or swapping of shafts or grips.  

Regardless, if someone place has what I want and it's the only place I can get it I'll no doubt still frequent their establishment.  Fortunately enough, though, there are plenty of spots where you can go and get what you want / need without all the extra charges. 

BNewt51

6 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I guess someone else pointed it out that if you go to a place like Club Champion or True Spec you're getting charged because of their expertise?  I'm not so sure that I still agree with that, when you're dropping money on something that they are making 30%+ margin on.  Having worked in the Golf Industry for a while in my younger days I know there's not a LOT of margin in clubs, BUT if you add in a charge for the fitting and the margin, those types of places are making out hand over fist.  Not to mention if they charge you for any adjustments that you ask to have done and or swapping of shafts or grips.  

Regardless, if someone place has what I want and it's the only place I can get it I'll no doubt still frequent their establishment.  Fortunately enough, though, there are plenty of spots where you can go and get what you want / need without all the extra charges. 

At least with Club Champion, if you get a custom shaft, you get to pay for two shafts, two grips and two adaptors (where applicable too). IOW if you buy a Mavrik driver with an aftermarket shaft, you will pay full retail for a Mavrik driver (even though you don't get the standard shaft, grip or adaptor) AND full retail for the aftermarket shaft, grip and adaptor. I guess they can't or don't just buy heads at even a modestly lower price from the OEMs.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
22 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Understood and agreed!  If you're going to an expert, there is an understanding that those individuals must be compensated for their time.  

Where that deviates, in some cases, is you can go to a place like a 2nd Swing and get fit with an expert PGA pro.  I'd reference my experience in the Wilmington store where I was fit by Joe Guillebeau.  I had done the tour experience fitting when I replaced some irons with him and I'd have to say that my experience was better than any I've ever experienced.  Now, had I decided to do the Tour Experience fitting and NOT bought clubs yes the model would dictate that I'm paying the man a couple hunderd dollars for his time and the use of the hitting bay.  However, when buying clubs at a place like this you would have those fees negated and you'd pay only for the Iron's or clubs in general that you buy.  

Like any business, I think we all can understand (begrudgingly) that there is a cost to everything.  I don't dispute that the business should benefit from the services that they offer.  Where I do deviate though is that in some case I think the price gouging is abhorrent.  In Central PA there really isn't too many options outside of your Country Clubs, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc.  Those types of places offer a service that isn't on par with some of those types of fitters you previously mentioned.  Just the same, though, if we had a place like a TXG locally and you're going to a guy who is pretty much recognized world wide for his expertise it is FULLY acceptable that you understand you're going to pay for his time.  I don't think I'd bat an eye at that if I went that route.  

Alas, here in ole cen pen, we're traveling an hour or two if we want to get anything remotely close to that type of an experience.  I don't mind the drive, but I would assume that many around here probably just chalk up the drive and say I'll take my chances buying online after I watch a couple videos and see if I can hit a bullseye.   

You are comparing two different business models. My fitter like 2nd swing and similar places that are in the business of selling clubs take the price of the fitting off the purchase of the clubs if you buy from them.

CC and similar places aren’t in the business of selling clubs, they are selling a fitting service. The clubs sales and build are an added service they offer. 

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

At least with Club Champion, if you get a custom shaft, you get to pay for two shafts, two grips and two adaptors (where applicable too). IOW if you buy a Mavrik driver with an aftermarket shaft, you will pay full retail for a Mavrik driver (even though you don't get the standard shaft, grip or adaptor) AND full retail for the aftermarket shaft, grip and adaptor. I guess they can't or don't just buy heads at even a modestly lower price from the OEMs.

That would be part of my complaint about the way these businesses are conducting themselves.  Of course, free markets and economic principles dictate whatever the market will bare is what the market will bare.  You can't fault them for people going in and throwing their hard-earned money at them to make a purchase for the full price of the club and the full price of an aftermarket shaft.  Funny, though, that the same club can be ordered with whatever shaft it is you're looking for probably at a lower price then what you're going to pay at one of those establishments.  

Funny though that we all are aware and prescribe to the "get fit" mantra.  Heck, I'm one of the biggest proponents of it. Yet, we all know that the system if flawed and actually costs you more money than it's probably worth at the end of the day at many of the establishments available to us.  Guess like someone else said, do your homework and research the places.  Chances are that you'll find a place that fits your budget and what you're willing to spend and then just go there. 

BNewt51

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are comparing two different business models. My fitter like 2nd swing and similar places that are in the business of selling clubs take the price of the fitting off the purchase of the clubs if you buy from them.

CC and similar places aren’t in the business of selling clubs, they are selling a fitting service. The clubs sales and build are an added service they offer. 

Oh, no I completely understand the point you're making.  And I wouldn't dispute it in any way shape or form. 

What I would say about a CC or similar establishment is that they are selling a service but they guise it as a place to get golf equipment.  You can't market yourself as a service oriented establishment and then say but we'll sell you the clubs and upcharge you without people taking exception to it. 

That said, however, I am one that would say if CC or whatever establishment you choose to go to is within your budget and you're willing to pay for the exact service / product they are offering then there is no right or wrong.  It fits for YOU.  And that's ok.  I personally just wouldn't go to a place such as that to pay twice, in some cases, for products that I could go elsewhere to get and only pay once.  

Even saying that though it comes down to what the market will bare and if it bares out that those businesses can thrive with what they are doing, then god bless them!  

BNewt51

18 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Oh, no I completely understand the point you're making.  And I wouldn't dispute it in any way shape or form. 

What I would say about a CC or similar establishment is that they are selling a service but they guise it as a place to get golf equipment.  You can't market yourself as a service oriented establishment and then say but we'll sell you the clubs and upcharge you without people taking exception to it. 

That said, however, I am one that would say if CC or whatever establishment you choose to go to is within your budget and you're willing to pay for the exact service / product they are offering then there is no right or wrong.  It fits for YOU.  And that's ok.  I personally just wouldn't go to a place such as that to pay twice, in some cases, for products that I could go elsewhere to get and only pay once.  

Even saying that though it comes down to what the market will bare and if it bares out that those businesses can thrive with what they are doing, then god bless them!  

Nobody is forced to buy from those places and like any place communication is key. I’ve heard of some that never pushed the golfer to buy from them even if it wasn’t communicated by the golfer they weren’t looking to buy or not.

Those who go in and say I’m here for a fitting or I want to see if my current setup Is optimal that’s what they get. Those who walk in and say they are looking for a fitting but aren’t buying from them and they have a budget that they are looking at so they don’t want any upcharge shafts the fitter works with that too and they fit within that scope.

im not defending their business model or their practices but a consumer regardless of the product get the experience they prepare for. Yes people including those on this forum and others have had negative experiences with these places based on expectations they had in their mind from and some without a solid game plan for their experience.

before judging a business for their “questionable” practices or whatever one wants to call it the person should look at the whole picture and why these businesses get the bad rep. Is it the person who went in unprepared for what the place was about or is was it the establishments fault.

Some of these businesses have bad fitters from the knowledge level, the personality/customer interaction skills of the fitter, both or something else but that can be had at any place.

2 hours ago, Middler said:

+1, best answer. All the OEMs know what configurations will fit the most buyers, one isn’t better than another. Unless you’re under 5’7” or over 6’2”, unusual wrist to floor measurements, or disabled - off the rack with the right flex will probably be fine. Any big box store with a launch monitor can get your flex right, or make a very good guess by your age and (honest) driver distance. Length and lie aren’t as critical for most.

I unfortunately am 5'5" on a good day with unusual wrist to floor measurements. Took me a lot of self-discovery to come to the conclusion that i need a really short putter (30.5"). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I think its good to remind folks that in the company name TXG, the T and X stand for Tour eXperience.  Meaning the fitting will be a grip to sole size analysis similar to what the elite players get from their sponsor club manufacturers.  Dicks, CC, Golf Galaxy, 2nd Swing, etc are not at the level of a tour experience type fitting and shouldn't be expected to compete at that level.  Even if their prices seem high, they aren't as much as a TXG level fitting.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I think its good to remind folks that in the company name TXG, the T and X stand for Tour eXperience.  Meaning the fitting will be a grip to sole size analysis similar to what the elite players get from their sponsor club manufacturers.  Dicks, CC, Golf Galaxy, 2nd Swing, etc are not at the level of a tour experience type fitting and shouldn't be expected to compete at that level.  Even if their prices seem high, they aren't as much as a TXG level fitting.

you make a good point.  differing levels of service and quality are important distinctions when you consider the options out there.  if your expectations match the level of service you're paying for, then you should always be happy with what you get.  if you want champagne and you've got a bud light budget, well that's a different story.

for instance, i got "fit" for a TSi driver the other day at PGASS...for free.  a very nice guy named Tony brought over both the 2 and 3 heads along with a few x-stiff shafts and let me fire off about a dozen drives with each.  he swapped out heads and shafts when i asked him to, made a few generic comments about spin rate and launch angle (basically just interpreted the numbers on the screen as well as anyone on this forum can), wished me a happy new year and sent me on my way.  i left a very happy camper because all i wanted to do was hit a few balls with the new driver while my buddy burned up his gift cards.  

if i paid for that fitting and received that level of service and attention i would've been furious.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Its interesting, but maybe not surprising, that a thread that specifically tries to exclude discussions of fittings has veered into a discussion of different fitters.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Its interesting, but maybe not surprising, that a thread that specifically tries to exclude discussions of fittings has veered into a discussion of different fitters.

the only thing missing is that many OEMs used to and still do tailor equipment to the average golfer.  People complained about that as well by saying the shafts were weak to flex, had made for shafts, and weren't blades.  Now,  they simply offer lots more no upcharge shafts and head models so everyone can find a club that works for them.  You still have to do a "fitting" to try and find the best combination for you or just pick up any club and figure out how to make it work (fit yourself to the club)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

the only thing missing is that many OEMs used to and still do tailor equipment to the average golfer.  People complained about that as well by saying the shafts were weak to flex, had made for shafts, and weren't blades.  Now,  they simply offer lots more no upcharge shafts and head models so everyone can find a club that works for them.  You still have to do a "fitting" to try and find the best combination for you or just pick up any club and figure out how to make it work (fit yourself to the club)

I would also note, though not sure of it's accuracy, that a LOT of OEM's tend to take older shafts and put them in their new offerings.  So like for example the article I read some time ago, wish I could find it again, postulated that they would take last years Hzrdus Smoke shaft and put a new sticker treatment or paint job on it and then put it in a new club offering.  So off the rack you may not be getting the latest and greatest in tech. 

I'm not sure of the accuracy of that article, but it's always stuck in my head when it comes to stock equipment and the pitfalls that could POSSIBLY await by buying blindly.  

BNewt51

Your fitting comes down to:
1) your own honest assessment of your game and your needs.
2) the fitter’s ability/knowledge
3) available product to fit you in to

You can get a bad fitting anywhere: I would argue that a fitting being free isn’t part of the value of fitting. Rather, the value is in an experienced fitter who listens to your feedback and utilizes their experience to produce clubs that offer you consistent, predictable performance.

I’ve always believed that I got exactly what I payed for.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

34 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I would also note, though not sure of it's accuracy, that a LOT of OEM's tend to take older shafts and put them in their new offerings.  So like for example the article I read some time ago, wish I could find it again, postulated that they would take last years Hzrdus Smoke shaft and put a new sticker treatment or paint job on it and then put it in a new club offering.  So off the rack you may not be getting the latest and greatest in tech. 

I'm not sure of the accuracy of that article, but it's always stuck in my head when it comes to stock equipment and the pitfalls that could POSSIBLY await by buying blindly.  

Yes there was a company that did that and it’s not standard across all brands and it’s not Project X.

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes there was a company that did that and it’s not standard across all brands and it’s not Project X.

Ok, thanks for that confirmation. I I thought I read that somewhere and was totally blown away by it frankly.  BUT, I'm quite happy to hear it wasn't project x though. 

BNewt51

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

This is fascinating that you bring this up - stock offerings and the average imaginary golfer. I have been using the shaft profiles offered with a given head to self fit myself into the appropriate head. Let me explain

I noticed that certain game improvement heads only came in lighter, high launching shafts with lighter swing weights in a couple, few manufacturers. When I looked at the more player's type clubs they had shafts that were a bit heavier, stiffer, and different launch characteristics. I deducted that the average player playing that type of club was more skilled, had a higher swing speed, and would benefit from those attributes. 

I would go so far as to say some club makers are fitting the average buyer in that category based on the designs 

I could be way off. What do you think?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg