TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 - Range Finder Options

And here I am plugging away at my master plan! 🤣

2021, and I might want to think about getting into the future a bit.  I'm still using the Tour V4 Bushnell I got a couple Christmas' ago with great envy of those whom have some "slope" version of a yardage gadget.  I actually laugh every round when I have to look over at a fellow playing partner and ask them "What did your slope reading tell you?"

Now, begrudgingly I'd admit that I'm from a day and age where you walked off yardages and or eye-balled it and just "knew" what the right club was.  I to this day still contend that it took more skill and knowledge about your game during that period to hit the right shot at the right time.  In recent news, dinosaurs are extinct and so are those days. 

So with that said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the best gadgets you've switched too that I should consider.  I'm sure that a few high end and low end products will be mentioned giving me a wide selection of items to consider, but I'd love to hear your genuine input.  I do find that Bushnell has put out one of the most consistent products and can be relied upon to give you exactly what you need to see pre-shot.  That doesn't however mean that I am 100% tied to the brand.  Rather, I am quite brand agnostic and want the best product for the price.  

So with that said, fire away!  Look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

I received a PrecisionPro NX9 with Slope from another website recently, and it works really well.  Strong optics, decent "lock" technology, a strong internal magnet to attach it to stuff, its a good quality unit.  The list price of $269 is well below the comparable unit from Bushnell.

Even though this unit has the Slope feature, I virtually never use it.  One reason, I don't want to get dependent on something that absolutely isn't allowed for competition.  I play within the rules to the best of my ability, I don't want to "cheat" on a routine basis.  The second reason, I don't want to accidentally turn the Slope reading on when I'm actually in a competition, which would require me to penalize myself.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

ive got the precision pro nx7 with slope.  its great for what it is - a quality budget rangefinder.  compared to my old man's bushnell, you can see where the fit and finish of the bushnell is far superior.

that being said - i'm 93% happy with the nx7.  first of all, i got it for less than $100 on my local OfferUp, so i was pretty happy that it just turned on.  it's clear, easy to read, fits nicely in my hand, and spits out the exact same distance in the exact same amount of time as my dad's bushnell. 

my 7% dissatisfaction comes from the fact that sometimes it picks up trees or other objects in the background when you're shooting the flag. it's not a huge deal when you're well within wedge distance and you get a reading of 238...you know it picked up a tree off in the distance.  but when you're standing over your second shot on a par 5 and it's fluctuating between 240 and 280, it's cause for a little hesitation.

once you know that happens, though, it's easy to take the extra 10 seconds and confirm the distance by shooting the flag a few more times.  

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

33 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I received a PrecisionPro NX9 with Slope from another website recently, and it works really well.  Strong optics, decent "lock" technology, a strong internal magnet to attach it to stuff, its a good quality unit.  The list price of $269 is well below the comparable unit from Bushnell.

Even though this unit has the Slope feature, I virtually never use it.  One reason, I don't want to get dependent on something that absolutely isn't allowed for competition.  I play within the rules to the best of my ability, I don't want to "cheat" on a routine basis.  The second reason, I don't want to accidentally turn the Slope reading on when I'm actually in a competition, which would require me to penalize myself.

100% AGREE!!!

I actually had a question come up during a recent tournament I was in if I was playing within the rules or not because of my unit.  I giggled a little when the guy tried to call me out (Yardage tools were allowed but no slope versions) and proudly said "Ummm not with this dinosaur here bud!  I don't have slope..."  Could have been because he was having a terrible day on the course, but I don't think his mood improved when he discovered that. 🤣

That all said, I tend to play the same way you're saying.  (i.e. I play it down, no "winter rules" like a lot of guys use year round, and obviously no slope readings...)  I don't want to get heavily reliant upon a slope model and have an accident happen during tournament play.  Perhaps I don't even really need to change since there a lot of guys I can bounce my reading off that I play with during non-tourny rounds.  

I've heard a lot about PrecisionPro.  I might have to check them out to see what they offer.  Can't argue with that price. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

9 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

ive got the precision pro nx7 with slope.  its great for what it is - a quality budget rangefinder.  compared to my old man's bushnell, you can see where the fit and finish of the bushnell is far superior.

that being said - i'm 93% happy with the nx7.  first of all, i got it for less than $100 on my local OfferUp, so i was pretty happy that it just turned on.  it's clear, easy to read, fits nicely in my hand, and spits out the exact same distance in the exact same amount of time as my dad's bushnell. 

my 7% dissatisfaction comes from the fact that sometimes it picks up trees or other objects in the background when you're shooting the flag. it's not a huge deal when you're well within wedge distance and you get a reading of 238...you know it picked up a tree off in the distance.  but when you're standing over your second shot on a par 5 and it's fluctuating between 240 and 280, it's cause for a little hesitation.

once you know that happens, though, it's easy to take the extra 10 seconds and confirm the distance by shooting the flag a few more times.  

Another vote for Precision Pro.  Solidifies a lot that I hear frequently that it's well worth a look.  

BNewt51

28 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Another vote for Precision Pro.  Solidifies a lot that I hear frequently that it's well worth a look.  

No pressure, but all of the PrecisionPro products appear to be $40 off through the end of the year.  

https://www.precisionprogolf.com/

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

No pressure, but all of the PrecisionPro products appear to be $40 off through the end of the year.  

https://www.precisionprogolf.com/

Thanks Dave! I wasn't aware that they had a deal on right now.  I'll definitely check them out today. 

BNewt51

I would go with the PrecisionPro or the TecTecTec. I personally have the TecTecTec and works fine. Good customer service. I liked the product enough to also buy their GPS watch.  Zero complaints and when compared to the Bushnell the units accuracy is identical.  Not to mention a third of the price. A couple of years ago MGS did a review on it.  Worth looking into.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I was given a Bushnell Tour V3 for Christmas 6 years ago, and I have had zero problems with it.  I don't use it much, so my wife claimed it.  I use GPS because I want to know what club gets me on the green and what club puts me off the back.  Based on F/M/B numbers, I can usually estimate pin distance within my ability to hit a club that distance.

If the Tour V3 ever fails, I will consider whatever is the best deal, and slope is not a feature I would use anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 year later...

Get a range finder that has scan mode, and illuminates the info on the screen in red (or whatever other coolers they may have) as this will let your eye behind the rangefinder see the distance info while the other eye with 14 makes sure the scanning laser is on the target. There are plenty of commercially available rangefinders that can be used over the eye while the pvs14 is on the other. I was initially going to purchase ACTinBlack DTNVGs with Harder Gen3 tubes (Approx $13k USD, yep everything non-American is crazy expensive). And use Leica Geovid 3200.com binos in front of them.

But I have read mixed reviews that they work/ don't work? Neither Leica nor Terrapin X have night vision mode. So back to the drawing board. Moskito/ MoskitoTi was my next option. Seems like it has everything. Just have to purchase it from Europe, if I can find an authorized dealer. So it's a big gamble for me. Is ITAR an issue if I purchased the Moskito from a USA-based dealer?

Golf is like a love affair!