Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hitting on a simulator

So this year I decided to try and keep the swing going over the winter. Tired of seeing my scores shoot up for April & May. Anyways, first time hitting inside in a few years, a local tennis club has a handful of simulators.

So I was hitting, irons were fine, about a club less on some of them. But no big deal, haven't hit in 6 weeks + range balls. The dispersion was correct. But the driver....it took everything I had to get it to 230. I've done a trackman fitting so I know my numbers. I should be 265-275. The clubhead speed was correct today.

Also, I hit draws so I try to swing out to the 12:30 position (inside-out) swing path for that shot. The machine consistently read this as an open face push fade. Why do they do this? To get the draw I had to really overdo it. Partial shots went nowhere, and anything the slightest bit thin was read as a cold top.

So this is the most convenient place. Do I just hit irons this winter? Very frustrated when the shot result is not close to what's known. This is why I stopped hitting inside years ago.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

could be an issue with the simulator.   What system was it and how was it reading head data?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Depending on the setup I’ve seen some interesting results. I also took some time to bring my real driver swing to the sim as everything was low for a while.

Now I basically hit everything as I do outdoors with two exceptions:

1. I get more draw on the sim than I do in real life.
2. Partial chips and pitches suck. With no rough or soft grass to hit out of the higher pitches basically never read for me on the sim.

I’d give yourself a few more runs at it to see if things normalize, but you may see a few variances based on aim or how well the unit is set up and configured.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Do you have or have access to a portable launch monitor? I set my Mevo up behind me when using a simulator just to check accuracy. If I find the simulator to be way off ill let someone know it needs some calibration maintenance. I have an optishot2 at the house and use the Mevo to make all the adjustments toget it close to my actual oncourse performance.

But the main thing is you are using the golf muscles and building muscle memory over the winter and keeping yourself flexible. If you feel the system is off try one in another bay. Don't get to hung up on the numbers.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Do you have or have access to a portable launch monitor? I set my Mevo up behind me when using a simulator just to check accuracy. If I find the simulator to be way off ill let someone know it needs some calibration maintenance. I have an optishot2 at the house and use the Mevo to make all the adjustments toget it close to my actual oncourse performance.
But the main thing is you are using the golf muscles and building muscle memory over the winter and keeping yourself flexible. If you feel the system is off try one in another bay. Don't get to hung up on the numbers.
That's what I was trying not to do, focus on numbers. I put the driver away as that was the only club that was way off. I don't want to ingrain bad habits over the winter. And unfortunately I don't have access to portable, or any other monitors.

Take Dead Aim

Depending on the setup I’ve seen some interesting results. I also took some time to bring my real driver swing to the sim as everything was low for a while.

Now I basically hit everything as I do outdoors with two exceptions:

1. I get more draw on the sim than I do in real life.
2. Partial chips and pitches suck. With no rough or soft grass to hit out of the higher pitches basically never read for me on the sim.

I’d give yourself a few more runs at it to see if things normalize, but you may see a few variances based on aim or how well the unit is set up and configured.
Yes when I did finally get the draw on the sim, it was a big hook.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

If I was you I wouldn't get hung up over the numbers or flight path but would only use it for entertainment & maintaining golf muscles and flexibility over the winter to be ready for the early spring rounds.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 5 weeks later...

Have also come to the conclusion that the nearest simulator is good for relative distances ( to each shot) and dispersion.  You can measure one drive against another as example but distances can be way off course actual or even another simulator.             

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago