TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's the best simple advice you've gotten so far?

From lesson, book, TV, internet, friend etc.?

Since I've been back swinging the clubs so far what seems to be working well for me is simply keeping my elbows tight to my body and rotating my shoulders so my lead shoulder is pointing down at the ball at the top of my backswing. Saw it on a Tom Saguto vid referred to as stack and tilt method I think.

I'm at the point of setting money aside for some lessons. The question with that is, what is the minimum amount I should take to make it really worthwhile? 

Find a way to make par.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Par is a great score

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Swing flaws can be traced back to either poor setup, poor back swing, or poor transition, or all of them.  Monte.

The amount of time and money spent to make it worthwhile depends on the quality of instruction, the ability and willingness of a person to learn, and commitment to practice...  based my experience.

The golf swing takes 1.5 seconds; a million words have been written about it; and all of it is garbage.  {or something like that}.  Gary Player.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, TexasFloyd said:

Since I've been back swinging the clubs so far what seems to be working well for me is simply keeping my elbows tight to my body and rotating my shoulders so my lead shoulder is pointing down at the ball at the top of my backswing. Saw it on a Tom Saguto vid referred to as stack and tilt method I think.

I'm at the point of setting money aside for some lessons. The question with that is, what is the minimum amount I should take to make it really worthwhile? 

The best advice Ive ever gotten it still the advice that my neibor gave me when I first got into golf back in '99.  He was an old, retired Army vet who fought in Korea and later became a teacher.  Full-blooded Irish.  He turned me on to big band music (used to call it the greatest music ever made) and drove an old Chevy K5 Blazer that had an horn that would play the General Lee horn and back in the day played with a full set of Hogan Apex clubs and a leather staff bag so, yeah, cool dude.

Anyways, he told me when I first got into golf that I should never take the game seriously.  He told me, "if you take golf seriously, it will eat you alive."  Its something that Ive always tried to take to heart and I really think its one of my strengths on the golf course.  Im so calm and cool and I never let any bad shot or even bad round get me down.  I also never let a good shot or good round let me get too high or too confident because I know its fleeting.

I play with a lot of randoms and many of them marvel at many things about my game.  Most of them marvel at how silky smooth my swing is (Ive even had some compare my swing to Fred Couples, which is quite a complment.  One of my budies even told me that I look like Im not even trying but the ball just goes and goes).  What most dont notice though is how grounded and calm I am, almost like I dont even care.

Ive always looked at it like I play golf for fun, not to make a living; so why would I get upset?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Hit it hard, go find it and hit it again. 
-Arnold Palmer

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Don't take advice from friends or youtube or the golf channel because it will just mess you up.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Slow down. Whether that be your thought process, you're pre-swing routine, you're swing, or anything you're doing on the course. More likely than not, you're rushing something. Besides, "golf is meant to be enjoyed, so why are you rushing yourself through it and messing yourself up as a result?"

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Putting was the bane of my golfing life.  Struggled with it as the rest of my game got better and better.  Finally after returning to the game from a decade hiatus and finding MGS, I kept reading about putter fittings.  Went and got properly fitted for a putter and it has made a ton of difference.  Now instead of dreading putting I can't wait to get on the green and sink some putts!

image.png.cb7b03298fd09e42c3c67730cb2769e4.png Paradym X 10.5 

image.png.4cd1e78357212dbb5c4aa67c87405756.png ZX 3 wood

image.png.cb7b03298fd09e42c3c67730cb2769e4.png Paradym X 5 Wood

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png 939 4 Hybrid

image.png.20b346710af0f11f93b6d631dc876ccb.png  T200 5-GW

image.png.664487f7f78d0d4b5324340c070f5aa0.png 53 degree wedge

image.png.cb7b03298fd09e42c3c67730cb2769e4.png Mack Daddy PM Grind 56 degree wedge

image.png.616442318e7c45a3da06e86a3df7faa0.png White Hot Versa Twelve DB

image.png.20b346710af0f11f93b6d631dc876ccb.png Tour Speed

image.png

image.png

image.png

90* at the knees from the start, allows you to shoot right at the heart!  Keeps my thoughts on proper turn and club path from the start so that everything else gets in sync. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

13 hours ago, TexasFloyd said:

Re: the last question. 

Ask around for the top teaching PGA pro's in your area.  Get a good sample from people of who they think. Then you have to go and meet them to see if you're a good match and comfortable with that individual teaching you.  Not all matches work, so I find that to be a very important part of the process.  As to the cost, it's really tough to tell you set X amount aside.  Frankly, there's going to be some trial and error here so it may go up.  I'd say good rule of thumb is start with one lesson and see how you feel after that.  Typically that's a good gauge if you're comfortable with the individual and their personality.  If the fit is good you go from there.  If not, you move on to the next one.  

Finding the right fit as far as personality and mesh with you is CRITICAL to achieving your overall success. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

2 minutes ago, TexasFloyd said:

Can you explain please?

well, it's not exact but the thought process goes something like this...

On the take away you don't want to go outside the line or too far inside the line.  Either way too much will produce horrible results. (Push or pulls drastically) 

So when you take the club back you go low from the take address position and the wrists should be starting to hing around your knees. If you were to video yourself in the swing you would see right around the knee point the wrists should be hinging and the club all but or exactly parallel to the ground. The shoulder turn to achieve that would be natural and not forced.  Careful distinction there because I believe a lot of people try to do it all with your shoulders and that will get your entire swing out of sync.  

This thought process allows me to set the club parallel to the ground rather easily and then achieve the proper placement at the top of my swing.  I find that once you get to that point you will naturally achieve the appropriate spot the bottom at impact.  

I should note that I had a horrible practice of Furyk'ing the swing for many years.  I was an extremely out to in type guy.  That wasn't an issue when my swing timing was in a good spot, but from a consistency standpoint I suffered drastic highs and likewise drastic lows.  So I had to work with some pro's to rebuild the entire swing.  

Fairly difficult to explain the thought process here, but it works for me.  I believe Nick Faldo taught something like this or was on some videos talking about where that club should be around knee height and the parallel to the ground point. 

Hope that makes sense. 

BNewt51

Find a club/swing to produce a shot that carries 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 yards. Drill those feels in during practice. Then learn how much roll out you get at each of those distances with 2 or 3 clubs. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

If you focus on swinging the entire club towards the target, the ball will go in that general direction.

This mental thought can get you out of a rut if you are hitting the ball erratically and have no sense of control. The other thing I like to think about in conjunction with the above thought is focusing on the process and not the result. You control the club, not the ball, so focus on swinging the entire club down the target line. 

Your second question about lessons is harder because it really depends on your level of practice and commitment. I would say find a pro you like and take a few lessons or buy a small pack of lessons. I wouldn't commit to a $500 or $1000+ package until after I've had a few lessons from a pro to determine if I like their style. Realistically, if you wanted to really improve over the course of one year, you could spend in the ballpark of $250 - $750. You don't need a lesson every week to improve. Taking three to five lessons over the spring and summer can lead to massive benefits but if the budget allows, you can always do more. You should generally be able to find a pro that charges in the $50 - $70/hour range. Paying over $100/hour is a premium that I generally don't think is justified if it's just range time. There are a lot of pros out there I've found the key is to try and find the ones that are good at teaching even if they aren't that good of a golfer. Look for pros that teach classes or are more involved with instruction because they are generally better at communicating than other pros. I've taken lessons from a couple pros that give you a few drills and don't work with you much and I've taken lessons from a pro that has a genuine love for teaching and is great at communicating and asking questions. You can guess which pro helped me more. It's not always easy to find good pros but you'll know it when you do.

This swing sequence picture of DJ.  I've always been a flipper.  Even though I knew it I struggled to feel what it was to not flip.  This picture (with a driver!) gave me a good mental picture of a good position to strive for.  Not saying I'm there but I can feel like I have my hands in front now.  To me having your hands this far forwards seems insane but who's going to argue with DJ?

image.png.6d1fa2f17920364eb0845e211635ebe6.png

Don't neglect the short game.

Majority of shots will come on the green or around it.  Fastest way to lower scores are to improve pitching/chipping/putting.

I hit the ball a little better than I did as a 12 handicap, but majority of improvement is from short game over the years.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

"Swing the club" NOT "Hit the Ball"

From an old golf teaching pro back in the '70's

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Way back when I was little I got some advice about chipping. When using a 7 iron or the like, try to land the ball 1/3 of the way to the hole, and let it run 2/3 of the way. When using loft, chip it 2/3 of the way, and run it that last 1/3. Has always been good advice for me.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

8 minutes ago, alfriday101 said:

Humans learn fastest by feeling/experiencing differences.  

Yet most of us hate to feel awkward, something that feels different is often viewed as being "wrong".  Lots of folks will discard good swing advice because following that advice makes them feel uncomfortable, and doesn't produce immediate improvement.  But you're right, if you're going to change something, you should expect it to feel wrong, a positive change rarely feels good at first.

My best bit of simple advice came when I was 19 or 20 from a pretty good golfer who lived a couple doors down from me in the dorm.  I rarely broke 90 at that time, and my standard shot was a big fade to a wild slice.  He got me to stand MUCH closer to the ball at address, which almost immediately improved my swing path to where I could reliably hit a draw.  It felt like my hands were in my crotch for a while, but it really made a huge difference.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

No one cares what you shot.

Play your own game.

Never try a shot you haven't practiced.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

40 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

No one cares what you shot.

Play your own game.

Never try a shot you haven't practiced.

I have had better players opt to split off of my group because they didn't like playing with high handicappers. So, people not caring what you shoot is mostly true in my experience. 

I care more about how you play than what you score - temper tantrums are not desirable from adults. 😜

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Just now, Buffly said:

I have had better players opt to split off of my group because they didn't like playing with high handicappers. So, people not caring what you shoot is mostly true in my experience. 

I care more about how you play than what you score - temper tantrums are not desirable from adults. 😜

As a single digit handicap, I'll play with anyone, anytime, but playing with high handicappers does have more challenges, as your chances of looking for lost balls increases, and bad shots come more often.  It tends to slow down the pace of play, and actually has been known to throw me off of my game, because my focus went from worrying about just my next shot to worrying about where someone else's ball ended up in the woods or trees.

It's one of the reasons why at my club the scratch golfers and low single digit players tend to play together; because we know we can get a round in in 3 hours or less, not having to stop and search for lost golf balls most of the time.

Also of note, I tend to score better with better golfers, because everyone is in the fairway and around the green in regulation.  I can tune out everyone else and just concentrate on my next shot.  It's also why I like to walk too, because riding in a cart with someone else means I have to go to their ball every time, and I can't just go straight to my ball every time, again, taking total focus off of what I am doing with my game.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS