Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What's the best simple advice you've gotten so far?

1 minute ago, Mr. 82 said:

As a single digit handicap, I'll play with anyone, anytime, but playing with high handicappers does have more challenges, as your chances of looking for lost balls increases, and bad shots come more often.  It tends to slow down the pace of play, and actually has been known to throw me off of my game, because my focus went from worrying about just my next shot to worrying about where someone else's ball ended up in the woods or trees.

It's one of the reasons why at my club the scratch golfers and low single digit players tend to play together; because we know we can get a round in in 3 hours or less, not having to stop and search for lost golf balls most of the time.

Also of note, I tend to score better with better golfers, because everyone is in the fairway and around the green in regulation.  I can tune out everyone else and just concentrate on my next shot.  It's also why I like to walk too, because riding in a cart with someone else means I have to go to their ball every time, and I can't just go straight to my ball every time, again, taking total focus off of what I am doing with my game.

I'm with you - I also play better with better golfers, and I like to walk to get to my ball without distractions. 

I'm a 14-15 handicap that rarely slows down the pace... I drop, and take penalty strokes to avoid looking for the lost ball, and always keep an eye on the group ahead for pace. 

Someday, I might get to single digits. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

As a single digit handicap, I'll play with anyone, anytime, but playing with high handicappers does have more challenges, as your chances of looking for lost balls increases, and bad shots come more often.  It tends to slow down the pace of play, and actually has been known to throw me off of my game, because my focus went from worrying about just my next shot to worrying about where someone else's ball ended up in the woods or trees.

It's one of the reasons why at my club the scratch golfers and low single digit players tend to play together; because we know we can get a round in in 3 hours or less, not having to stop and search for lost golf balls most of the time.

Also of note, I tend to score better with better golfers, because everyone is in the fairway and around the green in regulation.  I can tune out everyone else and just concentrate on my next shot.  It's also why I like to walk too, because riding in a cart with someone else means I have to go to their ball every time, and I can't just go straight to my ball every time, again, taking total focus off of what I am doing with my game.

Exactly. I don't care what your score is.  If you can get around in 3-3.5 hours and have a good attitude, we'll have a good time.

But when your attitude or pace affects the group 

Get Outta Here GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

2 minutes ago, Buffly said:

I'm with you - I also play better with better golfers, and I like to walk to get to my ball without distractions. 

I'm a 14-15 handicap that rarely slows down the pace... I drop, and take penalty strokes to avoid looking for the lost ball, and always keep an eye on the group ahead for pace. 

Someday, I might get to single digits. 

I play regularly with a 12 handicapper, and he's faster than I am most of the time.  So pace of play is not necessarily related to handicap, but in how you manage your way around a course, good shots or bad.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
6 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

I play regularly with a 12 handicapper, and he's faster than I am most of the time.  So pace of play is not necessarily related to handicap, but in how you manage your way around a course, good shots or bad.

Our regular group is me (scratch) with a 3 and an 11. We all play fast and the 11 is the fastest walker in the bunch so I have to hustle to keep up.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

A couple off the top of my head:

External focus - i.e., swing/throw to the target - Shawn Clement I think presented it the best for me. 

Short Backswing - e.g., feel like the left/lead arm is parallel to stop the backswing - Monte

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Every hole, every shot is a new opportunity to have a great hole or shot. One or several bad shots don’t have to lead to (many) others. Too many players I know let a couple of bad holes, even a couple bad shots ruin a whole round - doesn’t have to be at all. As a result, a few weeks ago I shot a 44-36. Years ago, I had a 9 on a par 4, and managed a 39 for that nine. When you hit a bad shot, don’t berate yourself or sulk, and you can follow it with a great shot! And enjoy golf a lot more...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Simplify; the objective is to hit this ball into that hole. that's it. don't overthink it. 

Let your body naturally do it and don't fight it. Sure you can fine tune things but forget being a robot. Swing your swing. Not DJ's, not Rahm's, not Tiger's, not Furyk's - yours.

Just like you throw a ball - your body knows what to do; you don't think about the sequence, you just do it naturally. Shawn Clement is really good about breaking this down.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Don't be too hard on yourself, celebrate the good shots, and develop a short memory for the bad ones.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Really I think it can't be stated enough, the mental side of the game is the BIGGEST determining factor of if you will get better and shoot lower scores or remain stuck.  So many have commented on that, but it's absolutely true.  Also probably explains why I'm mentally spent after my best rounds.  Which I always realize I got the most out of it in those cases. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

32 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Really I think it can't be stated enough, the mental side of the game is the BIGGEST determining factor of if you will get better and shoot lower scores or remain stuck.  So many have commented on that, but it's absolutely true.  Also probably explains why I'm mentally spent after my best rounds.  Which I always realize I got the most out of it in those cases. 

I keep hearing about the mental side of the game, but its rarely defined.  So I ask, what to YOU mean by the mental game?  Is it game planning, shot selection?  Is it more emotional, avoiding highs and lows due to past failures or successes?  Is it something else, maybe sticking with a pre-shot routine?

Personally, I do believe that proper planning and slot selection can be pretty important.  The rest of it I'm not so sure about.  Improving my swing has done a whole lot more for me than improving my mental outlook.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It's almost always about the basic.  When things go wrong check your trip, alignment (including especially shoulders), pre-shot routine, stance, distance from the ball (my most common error through the bag is to get too far away from it), ball position. 

The fault almost always lies with one of these and if you fail to check them first you are likely to compound your fault(s) trying to make things right.

In regards to lessons you'll get what you put into them - find a teacher you trust.  Usually they have some sort of special like 5 lessons for the price of 4.  I'd say 5 are ideal if you are willing to put in the work - unless you are going for some sort of dramatic rebuild which makes very little sense if you are just doing this for fun.

Good luck - great thread - look at all of the responses. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I keep hearing about the mental side of the game, but its rarely defined.  So I ask, what to YOU mean by the mental game?  Is it game planning, shot selection?  Is it more emotional, avoiding highs and lows due to past failures or successes?  Is it something else, maybe sticking with a pre-shot routine?

Personally, I do believe that proper planning and slot selection can be pretty important.  The rest of it I'm not so sure about.  Improving my swing has done a whole lot more for me than improving my mental outlook.

Well, being a training behavior expert, it's something that distinctly rings true for me.  I guess I have a little more insight into qualifying it, or some may think it's all bunk.  And that is fine too.  

But to explain, there's a couple points that I think define the mental side of the game:

1. Probability and Shot Planning.  Some may view that as a logical non-mental aspect of the game, but it truly is fully a mental aspect of the game that goes unnoticed. Reality is your brain is always at work and you're actually cognitively attempting to focus your mind in on what your "plan of attack" is and execute.  Early on in Golf we probably don't even give it a second thought.  We just step up and hit the little white ball around the green course.  But I think it's a learned experience that we come to realize there's much more to it than just stepping up and swinging a metal object at a little white ball. 
  2. Focus.  Focus can be expanded in many directions.  BUT, if you think about the roots of focus you're understanding becomes the elimination of outside forces so that you may focus in on the task at hand.  That could be your friends drinking some beverages and joking while your setting up for a shot.  That could be the joking that occurs with friends during a normal round.  That could be eliminating thoughts of what the text message was that you just got or why someone is calling you while your on the course.  That even could be the weather and your surroundings being taken out of your minds eye while you set up and understand what you're attempting to accomplish. Focus is a absolutely critical aspect of your mental game.  And let's face it, 4 straight hours on average to focus is a tall task for anyone! 
  3. Remembering your training and practice.  While much of Golf should be natural and you shouldn't be focus completely on your last practice session or some triggers someone mentioned to you that just learned, there is some credence to all of this.  I guess it's that old practice your game - game your practice mentality.  Cognitively you're programing yourself in every training session on how to stand, what the proper take away feels like, how you play a specific lie, distances for each of your irons / woods, etc.  While you're not sitting there preshot thinking all these specifics your brain is subconsciously processing all those experiences and translating them into the task at hand. 
  4. Last but not least I'd have to say one of the most daunting tasks mentally in golf is the idea of staying positive and remaining focused in on "One bad shot doesn't really matter as much as the other 71 or whatever the number is that you had.  The bottom line is, only when you can hit a bad shot and then accept it as part of the process and then focus on the next shot will you be able to overcome the struggle.  Heck, I can remember very early on in my golf life I had very little patience and or understanding that one bad shot didn't ruin my round.  Rather, focusing on that bad shot for the next 6 holes and all the other mistakes it cost me did!  This is absolutely HUGELY impactful on your mental game, and I'd offer probably the most difficult to master.  After all, we set all these pre-round expectations for ourselves and once things go sideways we panic.  Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face!"  That's exactly what you have to overcome and think about. 

Just some thoughts there.  Like I said earlier, that could be completely off.  I'd also say there's probably a million other "Mental Game" things I could have added.  BUT, I don't think y'all want to hear me rambling on this subject in some long thesis.   Thus the abridged version! 🤣

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Spank it, and say BAD BALL!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

2 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Well, being a training behavior expert, it's something that distinctly rings true for me.  I guess I have a little more insight into qualifying it, or some may think it's all bunk.  And that is fine too.  

But to explain, there's a couple points that I think define the mental side of the game:

1. Probability and Shot Planning.  Some may view that as a logical non-mental aspect of the game, but it truly is fully a mental aspect of the game that goes unnoticed. Reality is your brain is always at work and you're actually cognitively attempting to focus your mind in on what your "plan of attack" is and execute.  Early on in Golf we probably don't even give it a second thought.  We just step up and hit the little white ball around the green course.  But I think it's a learned experience that we come to realize there's much more to it than just stepping up and swinging a metal object at a little white ball. 
  2. Focus.  Focus can be expanded in many directions.  BUT, if you think about the roots of focus you're understanding becomes the elimination of outside forces so that you may focus in on the task at hand.  That could be your friends drinking some beverages and joking while your setting up for a shot.  That could be the joking that occurs with friends during a normal round.  That could be eliminating thoughts of what the text message was that you just got or why someone is calling you while your on the course.  That even could be the weather and your surroundings being taken out of your minds eye while you set up and understand what you're attempting to accomplish. Focus is a absolutely critical aspect of your mental game.  And let's face it, 4 straight hours on average to focus is a tall task for anyone! 
  3. Remembering your training and practice.  While much of Golf should be natural and you shouldn't be focus completely on your last practice session or some triggers someone mentioned to you that just learned, there is some credence to all of this.  I guess it's that old practice your game - game your practice mentality.  Cognitively you're programing yourself in every training session on how to stand, what the proper take away feels like, how you play a specific lie, distances for each of your irons / woods, etc.  While you're not sitting there preshot thinking all these specifics your brain is subconsciously processing all those experiences and translating them into the task at hand. 
  4. Last but not least I'd have to say one of the most daunting tasks mentally in golf is the idea of staying positive and remaining focused in on "One bad shot doesn't really matter as much as the other 71 or whatever the number is that you had.  The bottom line is, only when you can hit a bad shot and then accept it as part of the process and then focus on the next shot will you be able to overcome the struggle.  Heck, I can remember very early on in my golf life I had very little patience and or understanding that one bad shot didn't ruin my round.  Rather, focusing on that bad shot for the next 6 holes and all the other mistakes it cost me did!  This is absolutely HUGELY impactful on your mental game, and I'd offer probably the most difficult to master.  After all, we set all these pre-round expectations for ourselves and once things go sideways we panic.  Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face!"  That's exactly what you have to overcome and think about. 

Just some thoughts there.  Like I said earlier, that could be completely off.  I'd also say there's probably a million other "Mental Game" things I could have added.  BUT, I don't think y'all want to hear me rambling on this subject in some long thesis.   Thus the abridged version! 🤣

The mental game you speak of is interesting. I sum it up more in confidence.

Confidence plays a 🗝️ key role because execution of the shot intended either reinforces or diminishes your confidence. I would go further to say most amateurs fail the execution of a shot, so the memory of that poor shot results in many adjustments to attempt to regain the confidence they can execute a shot with success. The short memory of poor execution comes with confidence that the next shot can be executed with success. 

So the mental game is the process of maximizing repeatable results. The mental game starts with knowledge built from experience, instruction, and practice ingraining confidence that one can execute the shot when it presents itself. It reminds me of hearing a pro caddie saying to his player, "commit to the shot." I remember Tiger talking about hitting his "window."

The opposite would be a "hit-n-hope" approach built on a total lack of confidence which leads to tentative execution and a failed result - always second guessing. 

Confidence in approaching a hole layout and knowing a solution of a shot you can execute results in a confident swing with either a positive result or not. In the case of a skilled golfer there is confidence even in the miss where many times the player knows what caused the negative outcome. This is still confidence, and it allows a player to conveniently forget poor execution on a previous shot. 

A friend of mine was a tour player for a short time. His definition of when the game became most fun was when he would come up on a shot and he had multiple ways to execute the shot to pick his desired result. The idea of draw, fade, knock down, or flop are examples of different shots in a repertoire of a skilled player. I heard Jason Day, in a TM YouTube video, saying he practices an hour and a half everyday on short game. Repeated successful execution builds confidence. And, confidence removes hesitation. 

Anyways, I enjoy the game more when I am confident. I am most confident when I practice well. Even without practice I am confident that my game is not as good as it could be, so I still enjoy playing even when the scores are higher than I like. I can see the lack of confidence in my friends when they play which lead to some crazy scores. 

This is my opinion of the mental game from my observations and experience. I do not remember hearing it or reading it anywhere exactly put this way. I might get blasted or applauded for my viewpoint. My goal is only to offer my opinion as my viewpoint. 

I'm curious what @DaveP043 thinks too?

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

19 minutes ago, Buffly said:

The mental game you speak of is interesting. I sum it up more in confidence.

Confidence plays a 🗝️ key role because execution of the shot intended either reinforces or diminishes your confidence. I would go further to say most amateurs fail the execution of a shot, so the memory of that poor shot results in many adjustments to attempt to regain the confidence they can execute a shot with success. The short memory of poor execution comes with confidence that the next shot can be executed with success. 

So the mental game is the process of maximizing repeatable results. The mental game starts with knowledge built from experience, instruction, and practice ingraining confidence that one can execute the shot when it presents itself. It reminds me of hearing a pro caddie saying to his player, "commit to the shot." I remember Tiger talking about hitting his "window."

The opposite would be a "hit-n-hope" approach built on a total lack of confidence which leads to tentative execution and a failed result - always second guessing. 

Confidence in approaching a hole layout and knowing a solution of a shot you can execute results in a confident swing with either a positive result or not. In the case of a skilled golfer there is confidence even in the miss where many times the player knows what caused the negative outcome. This is still confidence, and it allows a player to conveniently forget poor execution on a previous shot. 

A friend of mine was a tour player for a short time. His definition of when the game became most fun was when he would come up on a shot and he had multiple ways to execute the shot to pick his desired result. The idea of draw, fade, knock down, or flop are examples of different shots in a repertoire of a skilled player. I heard Jason Day, in a TM YouTube video, saying he practices an hour and a half everyday on short game. Repeated successful execution builds confidence. And, confidence removes hesitation. 

Anyways, I enjoy the game more when I am confident. I am most confident when I practice well. Even without practice I am confident that my game is not as good as it could be, so I still enjoy playing even when the scores are higher than I like. I can see the lack of confidence in my friends when they play which lead to some crazy scores. 

This is my opinion of the mental game from my observations and experience. I do not remember hearing it or reading it anywhere exactly put this way. I might get blasted or applauded for my viewpoint. My goal is only to offer my opinion as my viewpoint. 

I think you did a great job there!  Thanks for the very interesting input.  I found it to be great insight.  How we process and digest different ideas is different for everyone!  So there really is no right or wrong here, but definitely would agree that confidence is key! 

BNewt51

39 minutes ago, Buffly said:

Repeated successful execution builds confidence. And, confidence removes hesitation. 

Repeated successful execution builds confidence.  Amen.

So how do you get the experience to build confidence?  Improve your mechanics through instruction, proper practice, and play.  Good mechanics properly learned and ingrained, therefore, lead to confidence.  I said it up there, improving my swing has almost certainly improved my mental approach, much more than any improved mental approach has improved my game.  And I know I say this about full swings, but the same applies to short game and putting.  Make sure your mechanics are good, make sure you practice properly, and you'll get the experience of hitting good shots that leads to confidence.  That's my opinion, confidence comes through the development and refinement of physical skill.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

53 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Repeated successful execution builds confidence.  Amen.

So how do you get the experience to build confidence?  Improve your mechanics through instruction, proper practice, and play.  Good mechanics properly learned and ingrained, therefore, lead to confidence.  I said it up there, improving my swing has almost certainly improved my mental approach, much more than any improved mental approach has improved my game.  And I know I say this about full swings, but the same applies to short game and putting.  Make sure your mechanics are good, make sure you practice properly, and you'll get the experience of hitting good shots that leads to confidence.  That's my opinion, confidence comes through the development and refinement of physical skill.

Well put! Totally agree. Thanks Dave!

As a teen I got to play with a "grumpy old geezer" by the name of Michael Lunt a couple of times through my dads playing partners. 

After asking him what he thought of my swing he respoded by asking if I did any painting. I responded no and he said "Well better start if you're interesting in making things look pretty, golf is about 18 numbers and 18 numbers only".

I later found out that he had played in walker cups in his youth and had been a very highly respected amateur in his day.  Those words have stuck with me and while I'm too young to pull of the grumpy sage act I do try to impart this wisdom on those who ask. 

Edited by Jedaigeki
27 minutes ago, Jedaigeki said:

As a teen I got to play with a "grumpy old geezer" by the name of Michael Lunt a couple of times through my dads playing partners. 

After asking him what he thought of my swing he respoded by asking if I did any painting. I responded no and he said "Well better start if you're interesting in making things look pretty, golf is about 18 numbers and 18 numbers only".

I later found out that he had played in walker cups in his youth and had been a very highly respected amateur in his day.  Those words have stuck with me and while I'm too young to pull of the grumpy sage act I do try to impart this wisdom on those who ask. 

THAT is a GREAT perspective that I hadn't thought about previously.  Thank you for sharing that.  I'm pretty sure that will carry over with me for a long time to come! 

BNewt51

Pro's only hit the fairway 65% of the time, golf is hard, your shot wasn't as bad as you think! Enjoy

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!