TESTERS WANTED! ×

A ShotScope look at 2020

toehold57

Not exactly sure where this belongs, feel free to move it if that will help.

Like a lot of others I bought a ShotScope V3 6 months ago.  Shout out to @deejaid for the post just a bit back where he complained that the web site interface was different than mobile.  That started me on a path to check out the web version of ShotScope.  I never realized there was some statistics available, and some good stuff at that!  Learn something every day, eh?

Looking back at 2020 and seeing what didn’t work so well has been a little eye opening.  I’ll be taking this news with me into ‘21.

Only 15 rounds have been captured with SSV3 since the 16th of July.  It’s been hard to get rounds in since everyone discovered golf this year.  We don’t have that many courses in Co Springs, tee times have been a precious commodity.  1st note to self - play more in ‘21.

Overview of the Year

_1VvriWzJq4uoi1UTE2c0SpgVIT0la4Iy6o1BMU-T_o0Y7cOV_mD3Idz1ukQLpckNUjpx82L6xpJpGITP4whroCrXPHdxo66FGkyFJk53HeMqsWjVNrkeHrWopBtzTpoBNnyxyYD

Ignore the bit about the Round, that was the last round played.  I don’t carry a handicap but that +16.88 for an average score seems right.  I’ll say that’s ok for 2020 but I need to improve in ‘21.

Distances - P-Avg (playing average)

J6NqbZJ4Cr2xUuulBEb9Nun-xn6uhXJZw6EHZRJWrnm36p7SXpMMSOzysxBLptbWWkWevqbGGoTPpWjwcPqC6JqXEW_aMAXc5qe0sV6q0xzYfhjf54Anb0S6Kctmwthg-LOPiveF

Good Lord I’m all over the place.

Take some of these numbers with a grain of salt.  I don’t use a 5 wood very often so it’s hard to get a good average.  In fact besides the driver, the upper end of the bag doesn’t get used that often.  Longer holes I normally go driver/6i.  That my go-to combo.

That lack of gap between the 8 & irons?  Hmmm.  Strange bit that.  Maybe the 8i needs to be checked out.

Here’s the longest, we all like to believe our longest is our normal shot.

_KzFczevTbP387O3WHhORhUOLIp5UlXtQmSl94L2FAzczP4AsS24Ny1C_QXX7f0hMDUwHoV6CoO2bYLt45SxroxVgJgz7B_46OXVDbOoGD7RRKsMVHAuE_H0pVJ_iaJuOf3zRJQS

At least it looks a little more normalized.  The 8 & 9 irons are still goofy.

Drives - the good, the bad, the ugly

bXMhp-y-AiSECPM-jE1AgQ9D1NkjKExQfz5AKC-7mNoIn65c6gSUmc00K9nxmbXT2W9lI-91GQn6apfhZGJGOoNSm4yUKJ0-DvuqTN_H0FGSbba4-QpJiromQj3ytuJVP2UY5BoA

Yeah, that’s a couple of 83yd drives in the lower left.  Super human I ain’t.  But the long was a legit 300yd’er, no helping wind or anything.  Shocking!

-rH6hKT7H6jZPkACTMtZnkyF_KHDwZsbzDUO5moIC11wHYCF8lmCAFk0tOy9eUEPQpAZfOYwnVjwJp3dVO1mNSKz8yFqSn5v8erIKyIBOhRkTQADu66mqxwlHWL0aAqcL-d_rQ4u

I’m an equal opportunity sprayer of the ball on the tee shots.

Approach shots - just call me Shorty

YzzT8JcNgP6UPimXeMIDqDPE81OSRWKx497icLaNlTMUIx_Obxo9aVacPPyPUUwJbyZ2MCEUXUOSxZ2beHt7vNbqYIJPo6xkqe7ObfC8v-2d7W7PPay-m1IRtBq1XprNHGIDg8yx

2nd note to self - club up you fool!  You’re not as long as you think you are.  This will be a continuing theme for putting as well.

Short Game - maybe there’s some hope after all

hc8dH6HrZSeMjxWMszPqlspb-bmRUjCn9moTcYKlnP0kWFSen-tctt2Bub0GvAOqF0epJxXBxoAt8VFRrZwSwGM9v2Zq0v86Ek2i666ci5tBm4HqO8Qml2gltOlOJDrWiA7WlBDl

This is chips and pitches of course.  Doesn’t look too shabby.  3rd note to self - don’t slack on practicing this area of the game.

Putting - yeah, just call me Shorty

d_O0HfrYvtddE_cwx2xgBQBRUzWpiN7ABBTKZPX50TESlwvuX1W5kgVSDp48MEU0ZK-bjTUZn_9CNN38r7fn_sjWnDRkfkNi684XdZhuXBPdtnZTjq9GsXYyKNyOOQALQS-SbbSL

Kudos to ShotScope for not pulling any punches - Never up, Never in.  Okay, okay - I get it.  I’ll start working on blasting it by the hole.

1 vs 2 vs 3 putts

UXmvzhTPF9jzMmQZ2uwHTbmsSm68KYUMSI_CeVTByMPzsJZmSY5ibcsqvreAKMxoUDtoTdNroNDaHAmBxGjv2ezgYb9syUflyRYgKIGR9gP1ANA-QLSiVtCKQQAZGU0naJRnNO9T

Three putts at 8%.  Prolly not too shabby but thinking back and a lot of those were stupid mistakes.  Should be easy to clean up?  4th note to self - pay attention dummy!  Day dreaming not allowed.

Here's to a better '21 since I can clearly see what needs work 🙂

Edited by toehold57

• toehold57 changed the title to A ShotScope look at 2020

Hey @toehold57 this is awesome. I’m also a shotscope user and it’s clear the patterns they talk about in their blogs are relevant since you called out most of them. My only beef with Shotscope is the lack of strokes gained - my sense is that it would get us to the level below what you shared and lead to further granularity of focus.

and yes the web dashboard is far more useful for understanding trends and opportunities. One thing I’d like to see is impact of penalties- I don’t recall any such information nugget within Shotscope but I know I bleed more than my fair share on penalties.

good luck in ‘21

18 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Not exactly sure where this belongs, feel free to move it if that will help.

Like a lot of others I bought a ShotScope V3 6 months ago.  Shout out to @deejaid for the post just a bit back where he complained that the web site interface was different than mobile.  That started me on a path to check out the web version of ShotScope.  I never realized there was some statistics available, and some good stuff at that!  Learn something every day, eh?

Looking back at 2020 and seeing what didn’t work so well has been a little eye opening.  I’ll be taking this news with me into ‘21.

Only 15 rounds have been captured with SSV3 since the 16th of July.  It’s been hard to get rounds in since everyone discovered golf this year.  We don’t have that many courses in Co Springs, tee times have been a precious commodity.  1st note to self - play more in ‘21.

Overview of the Year

_1VvriWzJq4uoi1UTE2c0SpgVIT0la4Iy6o1BMU-T_o0Y7cOV_mD3Idz1ukQLpckNUjpx82L6xpJpGITP4whroCrXPHdxo66FGkyFJk53HeMqsWjVNrkeHrWopBtzTpoBNnyxyYD

Ignore the bit about the Round, that was the last round played.  I don’t carry a handicap but that +16.88 for an average score seems right.  I’ll say that’s ok for 2020 but I need to improve in ‘21.

Distances - P-Avg (playing average)

J6NqbZJ4Cr2xUuulBEb9Nun-xn6uhXJZw6EHZRJWrnm36p7SXpMMSOzysxBLptbWWkWevqbGGoTPpWjwcPqC6JqXEW_aMAXc5qe0sV6q0xzYfhjf54Anb0S6Kctmwthg-LOPiveF

Good Lord I’m all over the place.

Take some of these numbers with a grain of salt.  I don’t use a 5 wood very often so it’s hard to get a good average.  In fact besides the driver, the upper end of the bag doesn’t get used that often.  Longer holes I normally go driver/6i.  That my go-to combo.

That lack of gap between the 8 & irons?  Hmmm.  Strange bit that.  Maybe the 8i needs to be checked out.

Here’s the longest, we all like to believe our longest is our normal shot.

_KzFczevTbP387O3WHhORhUOLIp5UlXtQmSl94L2FAzczP4AsS24Ny1C_QXX7f0hMDUwHoV6CoO2bYLt45SxroxVgJgz7B_46OXVDbOoGD7RRKsMVHAuE_H0pVJ_iaJuOf3zRJQS

At least it looks a little more normalized.  The 8 & 9 irons are still goofy.

Drives - the good, the bad, the ugly

bXMhp-y-AiSECPM-jE1AgQ9D1NkjKExQfz5AKC-7mNoIn65c6gSUmc00K9nxmbXT2W9lI-91GQn6apfhZGJGOoNSm4yUKJ0-DvuqTN_H0FGSbba4-QpJiromQj3ytuJVP2UY5BoA

Yeah, that’s a couple of 83yd drives in the lower left.  Super human I ain’t.  But the long was a legit 300yd’er, no helping wind or anything.  Shocking!

-rH6hKT7H6jZPkACTMtZnkyF_KHDwZsbzDUO5moIC11wHYCF8lmCAFk0tOy9eUEPQpAZfOYwnVjwJp3dVO1mNSKz8yFqSn5v8erIKyIBOhRkTQADu66mqxwlHWL0aAqcL-d_rQ4u

I’m an equal opportunity sprayer of the ball on the tee shots.

Approach shots - just call me Shorty

YzzT8JcNgP6UPimXeMIDqDPE81OSRWKx497icLaNlTMUIx_Obxo9aVacPPyPUUwJbyZ2MCEUXUOSxZ2beHt7vNbqYIJPo6xkqe7ObfC8v-2d7W7PPay-m1IRtBq1XprNHGIDg8yx

2nd note to self - club up you fool!  You’re not as long as you think you are.  This will be a continuing theme for putting as well.

Short Game - maybe there’s some hope after all

hc8dH6HrZSeMjxWMszPqlspb-bmRUjCn9moTcYKlnP0kWFSen-tctt2Bub0GvAOqF0epJxXBxoAt8VFRrZwSwGM9v2Zq0v86Ek2i666ci5tBm4HqO8Qml2gltOlOJDrWiA7WlBDl

This is chips and pitches of course.  Doesn’t look too shabby.  3rd note to self - don’t slack on practicing this area of the game.

Putting - yeah, just call me Shorty

d_O0HfrYvtddE_cwx2xgBQBRUzWpiN7ABBTKZPX50TESlwvuX1W5kgVSDp48MEU0ZK-bjTUZn_9CNN38r7fn_sjWnDRkfkNi684XdZhuXBPdtnZTjq9GsXYyKNyOOQALQS-SbbSL

Kudos to ShotScope for not pulling any punches - Never up, Never in.  Okay, okay - I get it.  I’ll start working on blasting it by the hole.

1 vs 2 vs 3 putts

UXmvzhTPF9jzMmQZ2uwHTbmsSm68KYUMSI_CeVTByMPzsJZmSY5ibcsqvreAKMxoUDtoTdNroNDaHAmBxGjv2ezgYb9syUflyRYgKIGR9gP1ANA-QLSiVtCKQQAZGU0naJRnNO9T

Three putts at 8%.  Prolly not too shabby but thinking back and a lot of those were stupid mistakes.  Should be easy to clean up?  4th note to self - pay attention dummy!  Day dreaming not allowed.

Here's to a better '21 since I can clearly see what needs work 🙂

Great stuff @toehold57! That's what's so great about the shot tracking systems we have access to, the ability to look at our games and see raw, hard data on how we play and where we need to improve. Does ShotScope have data on the numbers of shots taken with each club? The 8 and 9 iron discrepancy might be affected by that. I looked at Arccos and I have twice as many shots with the 9 than the 8 and there's a one yard difference in the two of them. 

It's good to see you have an improvement plan going forward into 2021. Good luck!

That's a great write up and very interesting to see how the game breaks down. I tried Arcoss after Ping offered them for free. Was insightful though not overly surprised, 100 and in was the weakness with putting being ok, but still very useful information. Thanks for sharing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Very nice write up! I love the images that these data collectors show. Especially the approach shot percentage. Good luck this year!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Does ShotScope have data on the numbers of shots taken with each club? The 8 and 9 iron discrepancy might be affected by that. 

Good point, we do hit certain clubs more than others.  SSV3 doesn't show the number of shots but a percentage, for (most of) my irons - 

image.png.31c104ae74ca40f2c351d550f9788140.png

2 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

That's a great write up and very interesting to see how the game breaks down. I tried Arcoss after Ping offered them for free. Was insightful though not overly surprised, 100 and in was the weakness with putting being ok, but still very useful information. Thanks for sharing.

Doesn't Arccos have statistics like this?  Or did I read that wrong?

To be honest I was a little miffed that SSV3 didn't have this, then I realized it was user error 🙄

Edited by toehold57

One of the things I love about Arccos is the strokes gained methodology and the breakdown of both the good and the bad in my game. #1 on the bad is embarrassing for me, but something I need to focus on as my approach game is killing me. Screenshot_20201231-132058-01.jpeg.3159538a8e8846289581fd9000aa45d0.jpeg

The good is good, so I know where I need to keep sharp on how I'm doing what I'm doing. My putting is the strong suit of my game which is surprising because I don't practice it enough. Screenshot_20201231-132113-01.jpeg.9311c01a73b86d1df362552aa8910ba0.jpeg

That and the 200+ yard approach shots, I'm going to credit the new fairway woods for that one. 

4 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Doesn't Arccos have statistics like this?  Or did I read that wrong?

To be honest I was a little miffed that SSV3 didn't have this, then I realized it was user error 🙄

Yeah as @sirchunksalot mentions they have strokes gained to help analyze your game. It is very helpful and breaks it down very well.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

14 hours ago, toehold57 said:

That would be very useful info to have.  Geez, they have all the data, just do the math!

Apparently strokes gained is on the upgrade list for this year.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!