TESTERS WANTED! ×

Were you fit into stock offerings and standard specs?

Buffly

With all the topics of fitting, this idea of possibly being fit into stock offerings and standard specs seems like it could be possible, but has that ever been a reality for you?

What I mean by stock offerings would be the shaft that is displayed as what comes with the club in the promotional literature. 

Standard specs would be defined as no adjustment to length, loft, lie, or grip size - literally, off-the-rack. 

Note: I am not trying to diminish the value of a fitting. I am only trying to figure out if it is possible?

More details: what about you're static measurements and/or dynamic fitting actually made this possible? For instance, height, wrist to floor, etc. 

What did you get fit into? Model, make, shaft, grip?

* Some OEMs offer no up-charges for other shafts - up to you to figure if that is stock or not?

** For those who were not fit into stock or standard then what about you might have contributed to it? (Same questions above)

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I was one of the lucky few given the opportunity to review the Titleist T200 irons this spring.  I got fitted at a Titleist-approved facility near my home, utilizing Trackman in addition to being able to observe the complete ball flight.  Titleist offers a number of different shaft options at no upcharge, and that was one of the requirements for my review.  I ended up with the AMT Red Stiff.  Loft and length are standard.  So on one hand, yes, i was fitted into a "stock" shaft, but its one of a significant number of shafts available at no additional cost.  Same with the grips, I chose Iomic from among the list of no-upcharge grips.  

Does this count as "stock", since the length and length are standard, and everything was covered in the base price?  I don't know, it seems that the definition of "stock" has become fuzzier over the recent years.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Anything is possible. 

There is a tendency however to fit "into" a stock offering (in whatever guise it comes) rather than fitting the club to yourself. There is a distinct difference.

Of course, club OEMs will try to get their stock offerings to roughly match the largest target audience possible - and any person picking it up at first will try to adapt to fit into the stock offering. It may not "fit" with any natural physical measurements, it may not "fit" with any swing tendencies or strengths and it may not "fit" with the goal in mind for playability, course conditions or shot shape. But the human body and mind being the unique and clever thing it is will always try to adapt to meet the subtle changes necessary to meet the expectation. There are some drawbacks however - in adapting to suit, it can lead to set up and swing tendencies that are not ideal to your physical stature and strength, which if left to develop further can turn it negative swing characteristics, bad habits and ultimately frustration when it comes to consistency - the mind wants to fight the body for dominance in the swing and it can lead to over analysis leading to even more frustration and doubt.

Fully fitted on the other hand takes this element of doubt out of the equation - leaving the mind to work in harmony with the body to produce the desired result. Natural swing and posture are complimented. If nothing else, it removes the question of "fit". You know the clubs are built to your spec, for your body and swing, so that only margin of error left is your own ability. You can't blame your tools in other words. 

OTR? yes they can work - but there will always be that nagging doubt that "if" they were tweaked in one way or another they could be better. If you are willing to accept a tolerance level of "close enough" or "this will do" the OTR will likely meet this expectation. If you have them built to spec in the first place, the "what if" factor disappears, allowing you to concentrate on your game rather than your equipment.

The last factor (but by no means the least significant) is personal preference. Everyone has them and the chances of finding every one of them in one OTR club are slim - there is always a specific element that attracts us to a particular club or brand, such as look at address, sole width, offset (or lack of it), shaft type, even the humble grip - but trying to get all those elements that we as individuals consciously or subconsciously prefer is....not possible without third party intervention on some level. That is not always possible with "stock"..

13 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Anything is possible. 

There is a tendency however to fit "into" a stock offering (in whatever guise it comes) rather than fitting the club to yourself. There is a distinct difference.

Of course, club OEMs will try to get their stock offerings to roughly match the largest target audience possible - and any person picking it up at first will try to adapt to fit into the stock offering. It may not "fit" with any natural physical measurements, it may not "fit" with any swing tendencies or strengths and it may not "fit" with the goal in mind for playability, course conditions or shot shape. But the human body and mind being the unique and clever thing it is will always try to adapt to meet the subtle changes necessary to meet the expectation. There are some drawbacks however - in adapting to suit, it can lead to set up and swing tendencies that are not ideal to your physical stature and strength, which if left to develop further can turn it negative swing characteristics, bad habits and ultimately frustration when it comes to consistency - the mind wants to fight the body for dominance in the swing and it can lead to over analysis leading to even more frustration and doubt.

Fully fitted on the other hand takes this element of doubt out of the equation - leaving the mind to work in harmony with the body to produce the desired result. Natural swing and posture are complimented. If nothing else, it removes the question of "fit". You know the clubs are built to your spec, for your body and swing, so that only margin of error left is your own ability. You can't blame your tools in other words. 

OTR? yes they can work - but there will always be that nagging doubt that "if" they were tweaked in one way or another they could be better. If you are willing to accept a tolerance level of "close enough" or "this will do" the OTR will likely meet this expectation. If you have them built to spec in the first place, the "what if" factor disappears, allowing you to concentrate on your game rather than your equipment.

The last factor (but by no means the least significant) is personal preference. Everyone has them and the chances of finding every one of them in one OTR club are slim - there is always a specific element that attracts us to a particular club or brand, such as look at address, sole width, offset (or lack of it), shaft type, even the humble grip - but trying to get all those elements that we as individuals consciously or subconsciously prefer is....not possible without third party intervention on some level. That is not always possible with "stock"..

Does all of this mean your answer to the actual question asked is "No"?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Except for the +1/2" length on my PE2's, and +1" on my G410's, both were off-the-rack.  It stands to reason that a healthy population of players fit well to off the rack; standard length, lie, and loft.  These are "standard" for that reason.  It would make no sense for OEM's to stuff shelves with clubs that fit the tail ends of the bell curve.  I also estimate that maybe 20% of those "standard" folks would, following a competent fitting, find some adjustment to one of these specs and perhaps grip and/or grip size to be an improvement.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

26 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Except for the +1/2" length on my PE2's, and +1" on my G410's, both were off-the-rack.  It stands to reason that a healthy population of players fit well to off the rack; standard length, lie, and loft.  These are "standard" for that reason.  It would make no sense for OEM's to stuff shelves with clubs that fit the tail ends of the bell curve.  I also estimate that maybe 20% of those "standard" folks would, following a competent fitting, find some adjustment to one of these specs and perhaps grip and/or grip size to be an improvement.

This is a good point. 

How many "stock or standard" specs are exactly as they claim? 

It has been well documented about the tolerance levels some clubs are built to at a certain cost. Length, loft, lie, weight - you name it - are all built at some level of tolerance to be mass produced at a reasonable cost to the consumer. Not many, if at all, are what is known as "blueprinted" (do a search) - or assembled to the exact published specs. Some fitters (*ahem - others are available*) can build a set to these tolerance levels on request - or any other specification for that matter - for a cost. At least you know what you're getting. 

Point 2 - each OEM has their own "standard" specs. This could be in length, lie and swing weight which could be totally different across brands. A lot of people refer to their irons as "+1" and 2 degrees upright" for instance, but this only relates to a known reference starting point - which as we have already established is ultimately variable. Therefore it is better to refer to a specific measured length and specific measured lie angle to compared apples to apples. Just saying...

I got fitted into irons 1 degree upright and +0.5" long, mostly based on static measurements. Shaft choice between the PING AWT 2.0 and Modus 105 in stiff was basically personal preference. Considering there are differences in standard lie angles between manufacturers, I could play a set of GI irons from most manufacturers at standard length and lie with little difference. I played a set of Cobra S3 irons for 5+ years before being fitted. The Callaway APEX with stock stiff TT Elevate shafts were giving me slightly better numbers than the G410, but I didn't want to pay $400-$500 extra for those irons. 

I have a smooth tempo and am on the line between regular and stiff in terms of swing speed (95-100 driver, ~80 with irons). For drivers I was fit into the Tensei Blue on the TS3 during a demo day, so any Mid/Mid shaft in the 60g stiff range fits me fairly well. Play the ATMOS Blue 60 stiff in my Cobra F9. It is easy enough to buy off the rack and get something close for me. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I was one of the lucky few given the opportunity to review the Titleist T200 irons this spring.  I got fitted at a Titleist-approved facility near my home, utilizing Trackman in addition to being able to observe the complete ball flight.  Titleist offers a number of different shaft options at no upcharge, and that was one of the requirements for my review.  I ended up with the AMT Red Stiff.  Loft and length are standard.  So on one hand, yes, i was fitted into a "stock" shaft, but its one of a significant number of shafts available at no additional cost.  Same with the grips, I chose Iomic from among the list of no-upcharge grips.  

Does this count as "stock", since the length and length are standard, and everything was covered in the base price?  I don't know, it seems that the definition of "stock" has become fuzzier over the recent years.

I would say that is stock in my book. 

If you were to sell the set then you would say they are standard length/lie with a regular/standard grip size = stock in my book. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Buffly said:

I would say that is stock in my book. 

If you were to sell the set then you would say they are standard length/lie with a regular/standard grip size = stock in my book. 

Yeah, the "dimensions" are standard.  I'm not sure that the same shafts are sent to retail stores, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen Iomic grips on any clubs in any store.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I consider any of the no upcharge offerings as stock, especially in woods and hybrids. Walk into a shop and you will find various lifts with several different shaft offerings in the same flex.

When it comes to irons if you want to look specifically at the one pictured in literature then you need to look at the flex as well. If the pictures offering is stiff buy you are looking at reg then they may be a different stock offering.

As to the question I’ve been fit to some brands stock offering. PXG, Mizuno, Titleist and Ping (when they use black dot as the stock lie).  I’ve had fittings where I could go with pictured shaft because the s300 used to be stock in lots of irons and it works for my swing and I’ve been fit to other noupcharge shafts or had a choice of an upcharge shaft be an option because numbers were similar and it came down to what felt better.

Ive always been fit to stock length and loft. Lie varies based on manufacturer, but I always go 1-2* to eliminate as much of the left side as I can. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yes,  I have been fit into stock clubs with no lie or length adjustments.  Granted these were fittings done at demo days prior to the big use of launch monitors.   I played Callaway X-Hot pros and based on the instore fitting, I was stock.  Had I picked a different manufacturer I may not have been since they don't all have they same lie and length specs.  

Fitting into stock is always a possibility as I am sure manufacturers have studied their custom orders to see where most people fall and have made the default stock option something that fits most golfers.  Based on that, I would say that fitting into stock is something that can occur very frequently.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes, Golfsmith 2014 fit me into Callaway X Hot stiff shaft standard loft an lie and grips. Still playing them today minus a snapped 7 iron and a lost 3 iron. I replaced the 7 and haven't been able to find a 3 iron. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter