Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

You only have $20 at the pro shop to buy some balls for your round???

Buffly

You show up to the course and check your bag to find no more golf balls!!! Oh no! You check in at the golf shop, and for whatever reason, you don't have any more than $20 to buy some golf balls for your round. What do you buy on the spot?

Assuming club prices are as follows: premium tour level urethane balls are $15/sleeve of 3, cheap 2 piece balls are $20/dozen, and mid-grade 3 piece non-urethane balls are $10/sleeve of three. (We can ignore tax for simplicity)

Which category and ball would you buy and why? How does that compare to your normal gamer?

I am assuming most golf shops don't have any direct to consumer balls like Snell, Cut, or Vice, but I will leave it up to what your local shop carries. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

If I showed up at the golf course and discovered I had no balls in the bag, I'd open up the hidden compartment in my car, above the spare tire, and put the emergency dozen balls I keep there into the bag.  Those balls are always there, and are there for exactly that reason.  I played a round a few weeks ago and got down to 2 balls in my bag after losing 2 on the 2nd hole.  I think that's the closest I've ever been to DQ'ing myself from a round of golf.

But I get it, it's a (unrealistic) hypothetical, I'd probably buy a sleeve of Titleist AVX in yellow and head to the first tee.  I doubt I'd need more than 2 balls to complete a round anyway.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I'd buy one sleeve of pro v1s, then troll the banks of all the water hazards with my ball retriever for additional balls.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I would buy one Top Flite Gamer ball. As hard as I try, I can't lose one of these. Two rounds in with a single ball. I bet if I play any other ball, i will lose it.

Yep.  Buy a dozen ProV1 and commence at blowing through them in a handful of rounds.  One crappy ball you find in the woods - play it until the cover comes off 5 rounds later.

Easy, a sleeve of Pro V1’s. And I’d be on the lookout for lost balls during the round, though odds are I wouldn’t need them.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, Mr. 82 said:

If I showed up at the golf course and discovered I had no balls in the bag, I'd open up the hidden compartment in my car, above the spare tire, and put the emergency dozen balls I keep there into the bag.  Those balls are always there, and are there for exactly that reason.  I played a round a few weeks ago and got down to 2 balls in my bag after losing 2 on the 2nd hole.  I think that's the closest I've ever been to DQ'ing myself from a round of golf.

But I get it, it's a (unrealistic) hypothetical, I'd probably buy a sleeve of Titleist AVX in yellow and head to the first tee.  I doubt I'd need more than 2 balls to complete a round anyway.

LOL about like me---- In the last year or so between the 9 and dine and the dogfights I have won quite a few dozen. I think I did look the other day and had 4 dozen Q Stars and another dozen Cally  Super Softs Plus my shag bag.  As SOP for me I rarely carry more than 6 balls in my bag--- If I lose more than 6 balls in a round I am doing one of two things either hitting the range or going home. At this stage of life it is more than likely home. Usually I just grab a sleeve out of the car and throw in the cart.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I would buy one of the collector logo balls and then fill my bag at the range and troll the course while I play till I find a prov1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don’t take range balls from the range.
This is theft.
Range balls cost more than you want to think about, and when people steal them, the courses have to replace them.

It is remarkable to me that people think “I paid $6 for this small bucket, so the balls are mine to use anywhere I want to”.

Makes me nuts.

Sent from OregonMyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

6 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Range balls cost more than you want to think about, and when people steal them, the courses have to replace them.

At the club I worked at growing up, we had to pick the range clean every Sunday night ahead of the Monday mowing.  We'd walk it with shag bags after the last trip with the picker.  If it rained and balls plugged, we'd be out there with screwdrivers.  The pro made sure we all knew how much range balls cost him.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I would buy one of the collector logo balls and then fill my bag at the range and troll the course while I play till I find a prov1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's whorable!!!! At least your honest. I was expecting someone would say they would look for more on the course, but I didn't think it would be the first response!!

I will have to say that I do not condone using range balls on the course - ever - to me it is just plain theft of course property. 

I almost put a course logo ball as an option too!

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

2 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

AVX is an excellent choice!!! 

17 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is theft.

It is remarkable to me that people think “I paid $6 for this small bucket, so the balls are mine to use anywhere I want to”.

Makes me nuts.

I'm right there with you! It is one of the lowest class things you can do on a golf course. Probably second only to driving a golf cart on the green. 

If it's a new course to me, I would pick up a logo ball ( I collect balls from courses I play) and a sleeve or two of mid priced balls. Not knowing the course could lead to a lost ball or two. Then keep my eye out for a better ball or two about 200 yards from the tee on the right side of the fairway just in the woods or rough or along the waters edge. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is theft.

Makes me nuts.

I agree 110% especially for a independent family owned course like mine. A lot of members do like I do when we find balls we are not going to play we hit them over to the range. Now a lot of the cheap old fart retirees will get them from over there but with their game we find them again and recycle back to the range. The other week I started hitting from a 5 gallon bucket I found in the storage warehouse full of balls. And no it does not take away from range revenue one bit. I am a member and range balls do not cost me anyhow. About have that bucket empty now

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 sleeves of the 3-piece balls and walking the tree line to snag a bunch more balls. 

Also, Snell are available in pro shops. Lots of courses in my area have been stocking them.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Would buy a sleeve of premium and a snickers 😂 as many others have said. Ball retriever will be broken out several times. Love filling the bag with some recently lost ones....always nice being at a course you know where to look for those too

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 ProV1s and finding some in the woods if I’m wild that day should be sufficient for me. I’ve played plenty of rounds without losing a ball.

The only consideration I’d add is if it’s more of a water hazard vs woods. Might be hard to Unlike [mention]Lacassem [/mention] I don’t carry a ball retriever around.

I’ll add if they had Snell that’s the easy choice.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

12 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is theft.

Makes me nuts.

Honestly, it's kinda stupid to play range balls on the course during an actual round, as most range balls are "limited flight" and won't go as far as a regular ball.

38 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

3 ProV1s and finding some in the woods if I’m wild that day should be sufficient for me. I’ve played plenty of rounds without losing a ball.

The only consideration I’d add is if it’s more of a water hazard vs woods. Might be hard to Unlike [mention]Lacassem [/mention] I don’t carry a ball retriever around. emoji1787.png

I’ll add if they had Snell that’s the easy choice.

Water ones can go to the brothers and kids 😂

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I'd buy the premium balls.  Unless it's a course prone to easily lost golf balls, I typically only play with one ball and I'd just as soon that ball be one most similar to what I typically play.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

If I showed up with absolutely zero golf balls in my bag then it means one of two things occurred: 1) a buddy called me up last minute and said, "let's go play!" in which case the round is purely for fun or 2) someone dropped out of a scramble and I need to fill the empty slot on the team. Either way, I'm not particularly worried about shooting the round of my life, and am just looking to go enjoy the day. $20 for a dozen 2-pc balls please.

There's only one other scenario that could pop up and it's only happened once in my life, and that's a last-minute call to fill a spot in a truly "important" team match-play event. In that scenario only, would I opt for a higher performing ball, but unless I'm at a course with little chance of losing any, I'm going middle of the road on performance so I don't immediately have to sweat over a lost ball.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I agree 110% especially for a independent family owned course like mine. A lot of members do like I do when we find balls we are not going to play we hit them over to the range. Now a lot of the cheap old fart retirees will get them from over there but with their game we find them again and recycle back to the range. The other week I started hitting from a 5 gallon bucket I found in the storage warehouse full of balls. And no it does not take away from range revenue one bit. I am a member and range balls do not cost me anyhow. About have that bucket empty now

Well done sir..  I'm sure your operator appreciates the donations..  Ever thought about using those donations as a Tax deduction?   Just trying to help..

😎

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

No one should play range balls on a course. If you're so inclined, range balls are HIGHLY variable and even new ones have less distance and spin - why would you give up either? If you play a range ball, are you planning on returning it to the range when you're done, even if you hit one 70 yards off into the woods? If you're that cheap, at least play decent found balls...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I would probably grab the Titleist Velocity and have some fun. Hawk for good balls when I had the chance.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

4 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Well done sir..  I'm sure your operator appreciates the donations..  Ever thought about using those donations as a Tax deduction?   Just trying to help..

😎

I think those were left over from the days when I was in the used ball business. As many people that hawk balls here I would have been lucky to get $5 for all of them Home Depot Homer paint bucket included. The family that owns my course have always looked out for me. 

G

3 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Whenever I play a course with range balls out where I come across them I always put them where they can get back to the range.  I already pick up orphan balls to give them a good home, albeit will be for a brief time, but anything printed RANGE never leaves the course and gets returned to the range because I know who those belong to!

I would also return marked balls to those who lost them if there was a mark registry and an economical way to do it.  I've often thought a league or course could have a bordered table or shallow box at the clubhouse where found marked balls could be in lost-and-found to reunite orphans with their golfer.

I did not know that about range balls but that makes a lot of sense as I have hit hook shots (don't really get a ball to hook anywhere else) over the sky high telephone pole nets by the highway complete with cringe and expectation of tires howling that thankfully has yet to happen.

At my old course ( closed down now) I used to mark all my Precept Laddies and such for the range because I flat out refuse to hit range rocks with my persimmon woods. The range guys used to cull them out for me. What I basically do now if I hit the persimmons I will hit a few down #1 or #10 long as I am not holding anyone up and go get them. I also have the blessings of the owners on that one

G

48 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I think those were left over from the days when I was in the used ball business. As many people that hawk balls here I would have been lucky to get $5 for all of them Home Depot Homer paint bucket included. The family that owns my course have always looked out for me. 

So it's a business loss?  Sounds like a write off to me...

9 hours ago, russtopherb said:

2 sleeves of the 3-piece balls and walking the tree line to snag a bunch more balls. 

Also, Snell are available in pro shops. Lots of courses in my area have been stocking them.

Very happy to hear that some pro shops are carrying Snell!!!