Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

KBS Tour Iron Shafts - Review

Matt Saternus

KBS Tour Iron Shaft Review

DSCN0865.JPG

Introduction

Despite being around for just a few years, KBS Tour iron shafts have jumped right into the discussion of “Best Iron Shaft” for better players along with longtime favorites Project X and Dynamic Gold. I set out to discover what makes KBS Tour shafts the choice of so many touring pros and top players, and what they can offer the rest of us.

Notes, Feel, and Miscellaneous

The shafts that I tested were the KBS Tour shafts in S+. These shafts weigh in at 125 grams. As I've noted in my reviews of the KBS Hybrid shaft and the Hi-Rev wedge shaft, the thing that I love about KBS is the feel, and the KBS Tour shafts are no exception. Of the three shafts tested here, KBS Tours feel the smoothest to me, and seem to require the least effort to load. For me, this results in making smoother, better swings.

DATA

I tested the KBS Tour shafts against Project X (6.0) and Dynamic Gold (S300). All testing was done using the Mizuno fitting cart, so the same head could be used with multiple shafts. All numbers below are averages of 20 “good” strikes.

Ball Speed: KBS Tour 122 Project X 122 Dynamic Gold 120

Launch Angle: KBS Tour 12.8* Project X 12.7* Dynamic Gold 12.1*

Backspin: KBS Tour 4200 Project X 3900 Dynamic Gold 4398

Carry: KBS Tour 187 Project X 190 Dynamic Gold 182

Dispersion (further left-average-furthest right):

KBS Tour 7L-4L-4R Project X: 20L-8L-3R Dynamic Gold: 14L-6R-10R

ANALYSIS

As you can plainly see, these three shafts are much more similar than they are different, at least for me. The greatest discrepancy was in terms of dispersion, and KBS was the clear favorite having not only the best average but the smallest difference from right to left.

REAL WORLD RESULTS

In the real world, the KBS Tour shafts have performed extremely well. To my eye, the ball flight is fairly high, but almost never weak. In fact, the trajectory was the subject of some envy while playing with a couple of better players recently. The dispersion is very good also: bad swings still happen, but I never feel like a good swing gets a bad result. I think that's probably the best compliment that a shaft or club can get: it never cheats you out of a good result.

Value

A quick internet search showed that KBS Tour shafts can be purchased for $25 each, and perhaps less if purchased as a set. This price puts KBS Tour right between its two main competitors. The performance is outstanding, and I have a hard time believing that anyone who tries this shaft would feel that it wasn't worth the price.

The Peanut Gallery

While I normally would not include a Peanut Gallery section in a shaft review, I realized that I have been informally gathering Peanut Gallery data on KBS Tour shafts on a daily basis while fitting customers for irons. My unscientific polling has shown that a majority of players prefer the feel of KBS Tour to that of Dynamic Gold or Project X. Many players say that they cannot feel a difference between the three, but of those that can, I would say 3 out of 5 prefer KBS. The only thing that has dissuaded anyone from choosing KBS is the slightly higher launch: for some players KBS launches noticeably higher than the other two choices.

Conclusion

KBS Tour iron shafts will be staying in my bag for a long time to come. The two biggest reasons are dispersion and feel. Based on the fittings that I've conducted, I am not alone in my love for the feel of KBS Tour shafts, and I believe that you will only see KBS become more prevalent in the years to come

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

The only thing that has dissuaded anyone from choosing KBS is the slightly higher launch: for some players KBS launches noticeably higher than the other two choices.

And that of course is where the C-Tapers come in.

What I would add, and few seem to understand (or at least want to acknowledge) is there really isn't really such a thing as the "best shaft". There's such a huge difference from one person's swing to another's that there's no way one shaft can really fit everyone and be the best. We have some testers who achieve their best results with lighter weight Nippon shafts, but struggle a bit with KBS and Project X. Put a lightweight shaft in my hands and what I do manage to hit straight balloons (especially in the longer irons).

Yet another reason to work with a full service club-fitter.

As an aside, I personally think the KBS do offer better feel than ProjectX, but as you noted, those perceptions vary.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

And that of course is where the C-Tapers come in.

What I would add, and few seem to understand (or at least want to acknowledge) is there really isn't really such a thing as the "best shaft". There's such a huge difference from one person's swing to another's that there's no way one shaft can really fit everyone and be the best. We have some testers who achieve their best results with lighter weight Nippon shafts, but struggle a bit with KBS and Project X. Put a lightweight shaft in my hands and what I do manage to hit straight balloons (especially in the longer irons).

Yet another reason to work with a full service club-fitter.

As an aside, I personally think the KBS do offer better feel than ProjectX, but as you noted, those perceptions vary.

No question at all, everyone needs different things. That's why I skip any kind of points based rating with shaft reviews. I see shaft reviews as a way to share some info about a shaft so that readers can decide if it's interesting, and then go test it for themselves.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier this summer i came in 3rd in the golfweek british open challenge and with that come a set of kbs c-taper shafts. i'll be curious how they perform against my project x's

Congrats on your finish Michael. I'm playing the C-Tapers and have to say they are a pretty sweet shaft. i'm not getting all the yardage gains, but I do like the smoother feel and the consistent ball flight. Please let us know how they perform for a pro....

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Congrats on your finish Michael. I'm playing the C-Tapers and have to say they are a pretty sweet shaft. i'm not getting all the yardage gains, but I do like the smoother feel and the consistent ball flight. Please let us know how they perform for a pro....

Thanks bud! In fact i got it all finalized today - here's my email:

Hi Michael,

Yes I will send you 4i – 9i (with 3 9i shafts) in S+ flex. This will allow you to hard step your set for 3i-PW. We do not make PW shafts.

Thanks,

We'll see how it goes when they get here. Even though i don't have any irons to put them into as of yet sad.gif

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• 6 months later...

Just finished testing KBS shafts. Tour 90 are not for me. Loved the tour and c taper. C taper were 500 rpms less and about 2 degrees lower just like it said they would be. I saw significant gains over dg s300. But also saw gains with the px 6.5 over the px 5.5. But did not have the same heads on px and kbs/dgs. So not exact comparison. Feel wise I liked the tours best. Then c taper then px then dg. C taper and tour performance was similar. But did not love satin finish. Looked cheap? Which was a surprise.

I am about to take the plunge on new/different irons. I have lusted in my heart every since I saw the Adams MB2 KBS blk ni combo. Considering refinishing ZB heads to black oxide with red paint fill and red ferrules and red pure grips with my name on KBS black shaft. Happy birthday to me. Two weeks to decide.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Wow, totally forgot about this thread.

I still have my hard stepped and tipped s+ c tapers in a box. But I was able to try the x flex at the pga show. And knew that was the next set for me.

I was fortunate enough to be asked to be a Nike staffer this year, and with that my new set I went with x flex tipped 1/2".

My first reaction is how solid and stable to ball flight is. Secondly I don't get the odd jumper I used to get with the project x's.

I'm very pleased with the clubs, and the shafts are brilliant. Ps all shafts are pureD

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Thanks for digging this up RR.

Has anyone tried the C-tapers with a shim installed into .370 irons? I'm wondering if the shim affects performance.

I have not tried this but buy the glass beads from Golfsmith instead of the shims. These beads are more like sand that you mix with the epoxy and it takes the place of the shim. I have used this just once since I got it but I like it much better than the shims.

As far as C Tapers go, they will give off a toxic gas if you shim them.:P

Seriously, I do not see why they would be different.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived