TESTERS WANTED! ×

Project X LZ vs KBS tour

I have a chance to get a MP20 HMB 3I but it comes with a project X LZ 6.0 shaft. I currently game KBS tour stiff. Would that be too much to adjust to to use the HMB as a UI/DI with that shaft? Of course then I would ditch my 3H and PXG DI if it works out. Has anyone hit both?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

They are not poles apart in terms of weight and flex, but depending on how you swing and load the shaft the results may be slightly different in launch and spin. The LZ has a stiffer tip section and slightly stiffer butt - the mid sections are very similar. The LZ would give a tad lower launch and spin, but as stated it would depend on how you load and release the shaft.

Not sure if I would personally ditch the 3H in favour of the HMB though - the hybrid would probably offer greater forgiveness, probably greater distance and more versatility.

The age old advice is try before you buy.

Edited by jaskanski

I guess I should just reshaft my pxg with KBS tour then and see how that goes. $34 cheaper than $115

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

519166680_ScreenShot2020-09-14at3_30_43PM.png.5eb29672d46ce6dab56c0be6eda4531e.png.2dcdef116b360ab32c217a7d5228a027.png

Like I said - it depends on how you load the shaft. The KBS Tour EI curve in red compared to the PX LZ in blue. (KBS Tour V in brown for comparison).

It also depends on how Titleist are measuring their shafts - the KBS Tour is famously incrementally stiffer along it's length as the EI curve demonstrates quite nicely with a rather flat linear style curve. If you measure from mid point to the tip, it will be stiffer overall as Titleist suggest. The PX LZ is much stiffer initially in the tip but then dips before flattening out in the middle - it may well be measured at a lower cpm because of this contrast from tip to mid. Again, the same story plays out in the mid to butt measurement as it is stiffer it an increase towards the butt - however again the contrast could be measured as lower in cpm. Think of two stiff sections connected by a more flexible middle (like the Nunchuck). The KBS Tour on the other hand has a more lateral flex increase and flatter EI curve, meaning the difference in measured tip to mid, and mid to butt sections appear to measure stiffer in cpm. Overall butt frequency will measure as stiffer too.

But it how the shaft profile plays that makes the difference. Smooth swingers with a smooth transition, but with an early release will see lower flight and spin than someone with a later release with the PX LZ. Harder transitions will be more thankful of the butt and tip stiffness of PX LZ in terms of launch and spin control for the same release. It all depends on the load and release how the shaft reacts. 

Titleists graphic probably covers how average joe would expect to see it play on paper, but even they qualify it with a caveat to get fitted. You can't take everything on paper as face value if you haven't tried it for yourself. The specs are really too close to call it one way or another on overall performance. This is a classic example of this.

11 hours ago, jaskanski said:

519166680_ScreenShot2020-09-14at3_30_43PM.png.5eb29672d46ce6dab56c0be6eda4531e.png.2dcdef116b360ab32c217a7d5228a027.png

Like I said - it depends on how you load the shaft. The KBS Tour EI curve in red compared to the PX LZ in blue. (KBS Tour V in brown for comparison).

It also depends on how Titleist are measuring their shafts - the KBS Tour is famously incrementally stiffer along it's length as the EI curve demonstrates quite nicely with a rather flat linear style curve. If you measure from mid point to the tip, it will be stiffer overall as Titleist suggest. The PX LZ is much stiffer initially in the tip but then dips before flattening out in the middle - it may well be measured at a lower cpm because of this contrast from tip to mid. Again, the same story plays out in the mid to butt measurement as it is stiffer it an increase towards the butt - however again the contrast could be measured as lower in cpm. Think of two stiff sections connected by a more flexible middle (like the Nunchuck). The KBS Tour on the other hand has a more lateral flex increase and flatter EI curve, meaning the difference in measured tip to mid, and mid to butt sections appear to measure stiffer in cpm. Overall butt frequency will measure as stiffer too.

But it how the shaft profile plays that makes the difference. Smooth swingers with a smooth transition, but with an early release will see lower flight and spin than someone with a later release with the PX LZ. Harder transitions will be more thankful of the butt and tip stiffness of PX LZ in terms of launch and spin control for the same release. It all depends on the load and release how the shaft reacts. 

Titleists graphic probably covers how average joe would expect to see it play on paper, but even they qualify it with a caveat to get fitted. You can't take everything on paper as face value if you haven't tried it for yourself. The specs are really too close to call it one way or another on overall performance. This is a classic example of this.

This is great color, thanks for sharing. I don’t know that anything will kick my $ tapers out of the bag any time soon but it’s always cool to learn about comparisons across brands/lines that go deeper than said brands’ 2 sentence descriptions. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I got fitted for both during an iron fitting. Ended up with the KBS S-taper because the combo with the mizuno HM heads produced better results with my swing. Could have gone with the LZ's and not much issue though.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Thanks everyone. Interesting discussion. I didn’t go with the HMB. I will say I love my KBS. It was between that and Nippon modus3 120s during my fitting. Better feel with nippon, better results with KBS. Never tried the LZ but have HZRDUS yellow in my 3w. 

My Reviews:

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried the LZ in a Ping i500 head and it was so smooth... unfortunately Sub 70's irons don't compute with them.  The KBS tour 120 was second on the performance list for me.  I'm guessing that is the closest comp to the LZ's.  I currently have the Tour 105's but they spin too much and launch too high for me. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

For me, the KBS Tour was lower launching than the PX LZ.  The linear feel is a correct description of the Tour.  The PX LZ definitely has a more active midsection and required a smoother transition.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX