TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Stars/ Celebrities meeting Stories

MadMex

I was inspired by other threads I read, I looked and looked and was not able to find anything in which members told stories of them meeting Golf/Sports Stars or other Celebrities.

Here is one:

While working as a volunteer security at the 1987 or '88 Phoenix Open, I was posted right outside the news reporters room. As I stood there bored as could be, one of my favorite golfers came out, Tom Watson.

I asked him if he would mind signing my hat, he smiled and said "Of course", he saw I had Fuzzy Zoeller's autograph and said with a smile "what's he doin here? am not signing this", of course he signed it , above Fuzzy.

I then said "May I ask you a question Mr. Watson?"

He said " Of course"

I asked " Do you ever get tired of getting asked about the chip in at Pebble Beach?" 

He gave me a huge smile, patted  me on the shoulder and walked away.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

At the Tuesday practice round of the 2011 Masters, we were standing against the roped crosswalk between the 17th green and the 18th tee.  A few minutes before the ropes came back to create a crosswalk for the players, I motioned to a dad for him and his 8 or 9 year old son to get in front of me.  A few minutes later, Tom Watson came off the 17th green and made a bee-line to the 18th tee.  He stopped directly in front of this kid and said, I need a forecaddie for 18, is dad okay with you coming to help me?

Watson took this kid inside the ropes and let him walk the entire 18th hole with him.  You can see all three of them in the photo I took a few seconds prior to this happening. 

Masters 2011 117.jpg

At Firestone, one of the last years it was WGC, got to follow Justin Rose for a few holes. Not a big crowd but him and his caddy both chatted with the small group in between shots. Really chill guy.

At the same practice round I saw Fowler standing in the same place for about 3 hours signing for kids and taking pictures. It was central between the first tee and range, so we kept walking past.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've talked to a number of golfers at TPC Boston during the practice round, usually with my son in tow. Furyk was polite but rushed. Danny Lee was hilarious giving an autograph hound the business when he was trying to sign something for my son. Jason Day was very nice, took time to chat with my son about his golf game. Daniel Summerhays was kind of funny at the putting green, he'd hit a few putts then look around and smile at everyone, almost like "hey guys want to come say hi?" We saw Tony Finau during his rookie year and he made time for everyone. Very nice, always smiling. 

As far as non-golf celebs, let's just say you never want to ask Gwen Stefani if you can have a slice of her pizza.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have volunteered at Symetra, LPGA, and Senior PGA events for a long time as a walking scorer. I also got to attend the PGA show once. All of those provide lots of face to face time with players and their caddies. Always nice when a player or caddie remembers you from a previous year.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My first experience as a volunteer came at the 1997 US Open at Congressional in Maryland.  On the Tuesday a buddy and I were assigned to walk along with Steve Elkington, Grant Waite, and Jeff Maggert.  Ropes are not completely staffed, they just wanted additional people with many of the practice round groups, kind of walking just inside the ropes.  We actually needed to help search for a few golf balls, the rough was incredibly thick that year.  Going from 9 to 10 at Congressional is a couple hundred yards, down a long sloping walkway, and both Maggert and Elk went that way.  Grant, on the other hand, wanted to stop in the clubhouse for a bite to eat.  So I went with the two guys down the walkway, and my buddy walked with Grant to the clubhouse.  They took a shortcut to 10 tee, past the fence next to the member's pool, where a few of the member's kids were hanging out asking for autographs.  They hand the flags or hats to Grant, and he signs them, then they hand them to my buddy.  He looks at Grant, who says "Go ahead, sign them."  So to this day, there are a few 30 or 40 year old men trying to figure out who the hell THIS guy was when they look back at their memorabilia.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Played a little golf with this guy a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0198.jpg

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Also forgot that I played a few holes with Chandler Harper many years ago. Caught up with him on the 5th hole and played the rest of the 9. Wasn’t as into golf then but did hear a few Hogan stories.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Again, it's 1988 and the Phoenix Open, my second day working (I volunteered since the Phoenix Firebirds asked the military, two days gave you a free round at TPC Scottsdale), this time I was assigned to the corporate tent entrance, which was a choice assignment since they took care of you with lots and lots of GREAT food!

I heard the second guy I was working with say "Can I see your access badge please?", it was Fuzzy Zoeller, one of my favorite golfers, I took a step and said "Go ahead Mr. Zoeller", he was smiling and stunned at the same time.

One of the Phoenix Firebirds asked me to follow Fuzzy to the corporate tent ( can't remember which one) , he walks in, asks for a drink, swigs it down, get's another and tells me "OK, man, let's do this", the first person to walk up for a meet and greet was this woman who was spilling out of her top, she handed him a marker and asked him to sign her shirt (she had about a dozen autographs) , he held the marker at the tip and signed, he then stood very politely too her side for a photo and a distant hug.

I did see him give an elder lady a HUGE friendly hug for the photo op and she gave him a huge friendly kiss on the cheek.  

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

Austin, TX (circa 2010) - I’m invited to play on a buddy’s corporate team for a celebrity invitational fundraiser at Onion Creek Country Club. Back turned toward me waiting on line at the breakfast buffet before the round is an unmistakable figure - Samuel L. Jackson.

The line is moving along at a normal pace until Mr. Jackson arrives at the enormous spread of fresh kolache pastries. He’s stands there pensively rubbing his chin, carefully considering all the delicious options. He begins to reach for peach before reconsidering, makes for strawberry and withdraws again, nearly grabs a rhubarb before redirecting toward cream cheese, but nah. Starts all over again with the pensive chin rubbing routine.

I’m almost certainly the only person close enough to hear the details of him quietly talking through the pros/cons of each flavor with himself and very much enjoying the show for the first few cycles. But the line is really beginning to back up behind us and the situation is quickly becoming ridiculous. This goes on for literally minutes and I’m starting to think he might be messing with all of us.

An eternity passes, Sam finally selects the best peach out of the bunch and gives himself a slight but reassuring nod that it was the correct choice. At this point, as the next person behind him I’m feeling overwhelmingly compelled to cut the tension all of just endured - somehow address the performance (just in case that was indeed his intention).

So with exaggerated annoyance in my tone, I blurt out the first phrase that crosses my mind “Did you get a good one?!” Towering, he turns, steps menacingly toward me and growls “One?!! I want the whole m***er f***ing basket!!!” Before he slowly cracks a big smile, winks and strolls out to riotous laughter from everyone within earshot.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I have a few more similar stories but should probably space them out a bit due to the consistently “colorful” language required to properly recount.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I’ve seen quite a few pros up close at tournaments but never actually met one.

Flew on a plane out of FL with Craig Stadler many years ago. And another with Johnny Miller back in his playing days.

At the 1989 Masters I was in a long line for the head somewhere on the back nine, when Lanny Wadkins ran in and jumped the line to pee saying “sorry guys.” We all understood since he was playing at the time. They probably have separate heads for pros these days?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Had a conversation on the first hole at congressional with Billy Andrade while he was waiting for Tiger to come to the tee. He was a nice guy and fun to chat with.

Was able to chat with Rickie after a round while he was signing autographs. The guy really does get it and takes care of his fans espeically the young kids. He took pics with every kid that asked and would talk with each one while he signed their item. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Reminds me of two years ago went I got an invite to the Adidas Sergio Garcia 20 year partnership event at Wentworth. 

I got there ridiculously early and decided to have breakfast, sitting there with a pot of coffee and waiting for food when the one and only Gary Player walks past. I jumped out my chair and introduced myself telling him how my father used to be a big fan of his ever since he has seen Player open a local course to use back in the 70's. Amazingly Player remembered the course and invited himself to sit and have coffee with me while he waited for someone. 

We sat with my wife and I listening to him tell us about the old days with Nicklaus and Palmer for nearly 10 mins before someone came a nd found him to tell him his guests where there.

Incredible experience and purely a matter of being in the right place at the right time. 

20190709_102822.jpg

The other recent experiance I've had was at the 2019 AIG Women's British Open

On the Thursday my wife and I took my daughter to the event since she was 11 and just getting into golf. In the afternoon we found ourselves following Salas since she and my wife are from a very close to each other area in Cali. She played fantastically and at one point while waiting on a tee to play stopped to talk to the three of us but mainly my daughter which made her day. On Friday we returned to Woburn early so that my daughter could follow Salas for the whole round. Even though she was only a few off the lead there was no support for her except us. On the par 3 6th she stopped to once again talk to my daughter who she remembered from the previous day, she signed a hat and ball for my daughter and thanked her for her support. Later that round she waved to us while walking down a fairway and at the end of the round high-fived my daughter as she walked off the green.

In my opinion how she acted is exactly what needs to happen to encourage young girls to get into golf. Sadly for my daughter she wasn't able to go at the weekend but my wife and I continued our support of her for the event and were heart broken for her not to to win, however Hinako played amazing.

My main take away from that week is that my daughter went to the event with an interest in golf but could have easily walked away unimpressed but due to the actions of Salas I believe her fire for golf was truly lit.

When @downlowkeywas a young kid (about 6 or 7 years old) we took him to the Shell Open in Houston. After play, he was of course hunting for autographs. He had a visor, his program and a pen ready. He spotted Greg Norman on the the practice putting green and went over to watch him and wait for a signature. Other older kids also walked up to the rope around the green and yelled out "Can I have your autograph?" to which Norman always replied "Wait until I'm finished practicing". All of those other kids quickly got bored and went off it search of another autograph. But @downlowkey waited patiently and kept watching Norman, the only kid left around the green. After he completed his putting practice, Norman stepped over the rope and headed for the clubhouse with @downlowkeyfollowing close behind. Norman was quickly surrounded with a mass of kids holding up items and screaming "Can I have your autograph?" Being the smallest and quietest guy in the crowd,@downlowkey was pushed to the back and glanced back at me with a devastated look like help, what was happening. Then Norman stopped, turned around looking through all of the kids, specifically searching for @downlowkey and said "Oh, there you are", took the program opened to a photo of him playing the year before, and signed right across the photo before continuing his path to the clubhouse. Greg Norman made my son's day and because of that is still my favorite pro golfer.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

On 1/4/2021 at 4:59 AM, sixcat said:

At the Tuesday practice round of the 2011 Masters, we were standing against the roped crosswalk between the 17th green and the 18th tee.  A few minutes before the ropes came back to create a crosswalk for the players, I motioned to a dad for him and his 8 or 9 year old son to get in front of me.  A few minutes later, Tom Watson came off the 17th green and made a bee-line to the 18th tee.  He stopped directly in front of this kid and said, I need a forecaddie for 18, is dad okay with you coming to help me?

Watson took this kid inside the ropes and let him walk the entire 18th hole with him.  You can see all three of them in the photo I took a few seconds prior to this happening. 

Masters 2011 117.jpg

That was really nice of Tom Watson, and that was a great thing you did for the kid and his dad.  Well done!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Last one and once again at the Phoenix Open:

I was assigned to the driving range, I loved it! the stands behind the players were packed, it was incredible to see the players hit what to me were perfect shots,,,, little by little they all left to play.

Out of the blue once again Mr. Fuzzy Zoeller walks to the driving range, he had not made the cut, his caddie set his clubs down and he begun hitting shots, asking his caddie questions. Suddenly these two little girls, must of been 12-14 scream his name asking for his autograph, one appeared to be of the Philippines while the other was black, there's reason I say their ethnic appearance.  

Fuzzy screams back at the,. "come over here! run, the mean security guy can't catch you !!!" one of them takes off towards him, she runs to him and gives him a hug, Fuzzy looks at me and says "She is my daughter, long story", by then the second is there too, I ask me him "Your daughter too?", he smiles at me and gives me a thumbs up.

He let those two girls hit several balls with his clubs, then he takes two brand new gloves, signs them and hands them to the girls. The smile on those girls as they walked away was incredible.

He just turned around and started hitting balls again, I wanted to walk up tp  him but was sent to another spot on the course.