Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver hits #

How many hits is a driver good for? When should a golfer replace it?

Some never replace their driver some replace it after every round. If you are looking from a technology perspective change about every 5 years.

There isn’t a specific hit count for drivers. Play it til it breaks or you want a new one.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would echo @cnosil comment.  There really isn't a number of shots prescribed for a driver.  However, if we had the availability of a testing machine like they have on the PGA tour, perhaps you could see a point where the face becomes too hot and that would be illegal.  That said, average golfer who isn't paid millions of dollars to play equipment and or tournaments, there really isn't a number. 

However, the tech does roll over.  Though I will say that you wont see it go further year on year anymore.  Faces are just about as hot as they can be now, and there isn't much room at all for any sort of advancement in the distance category.  You will see, however, improved technology that will allow you to hit the ball straighter perhaps and or achieve more FIR's.  That happens pretty much on a 5 year replacement cycle.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

1 minute ago, RobbyT said:

When the driver breaks or you want new technology, then you replace it. Drivers don't really wear out like wedges or golf balls do.

Pretty much agreed there..... though NONE of us wait that long! 🤣

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

2 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

I would echo @cnosil comment.  There really isn't a number of shots prescribed for a driver.  However, if we had the availability of a testing machine like they have on the PGA tour, perhaps you could see a point where the face becomes too hot and that would be illegal.  That said, average golfer who isn't paid millions of dollars to play equipment and or tournaments, there really isn't a number. 

However, the tech does roll over.  Though I will say that you wont see it go further year on year anymore.  Faces are just about as hot as they can be now, and there isn't much room at all for any sort of advancement in the distance category.  You will see, however, improved technology that will allow you to hit the ball straighter perhaps and or achieve more FIR's.  That happens pretty much on a 5 year replacement cycle.  

If only there was a group that could do independent testing to show that the faces can't get much hotter.... 😉

Joking aside, this post is exactly on point. As the best of MGS driver testing proved, 2016 drivers are just as good as the ones from this year, but the tech trends are what change. So get out and get as many demo clubs in your hand to figure out which one best fits your swing. E.g. I have a naturally low launch and fight a hook, so I need to steer clear from draw biased drivers and look to some of the ones that provide more dynamic launch. That won't be necessarily year to year but more model to model. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

11 hours ago, Robin B said:

How many hits is a driver good for? When should a golfer replace it?

I would go as far to say the question is slightly flawed for the reasons others have stated.

The question of how many bad hits a driver is good for seems more the question that matters?

Sky the ball one too many times and the crown cracks.

Heel the ball one too many and the shaft breaks.

Hit one too many in the woods and you will want to throw it away.

Watch one too many balloon on you, fall out of the sky, or top it... Etc. 

Lastly, hear "You're away!" Too many times and you might think it's time!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Every time I purchase a new (or new to me) driver I tell myself "This is the one. I'm going to use this for the next 5+ seasons." Never works out that way. The winters are cold in Iowa so golf-equipment-idus is a real issue, the cure is I spend a lot of time on eBay dreaming of deals on driver heads to try. Seriously though last years purchase is it for a while...

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

23 hours ago, Weekend_Warrior said:

Every time I purchase a new (or new to me) driver I tell myself "This is the one. I'm going to use this for the next 5+ seasons." Never works out that way. The winters are cold in Iowa so golf-equipment-idus is a real issue, the cure is I spend a lot of time on eBay dreaming of deals on driver heads to try. Seriously though last years purchase is it for a while...

must be a national epidemic... I find that during the winters in PA I suffer from the same.  I sure am right now pondering all sorts of madness. 

BNewt51