Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why do some people have reallllly long golf towels?

There is no “Standard” size for golf towels. That said, most are the same length. I guess they should not drag the ground when hung from your bag. If carrying the towel, there is no size requirement. I have both, one hanging from m6 bag and one that I carry to the green to lay my putter on so it doesn’t get wet from dew. I also use the extra towel for sweat as some call it a sweat towel.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I definitely prefer my towels covering up my knees. But for golf purposes I have actually never honestly looked at how long they are (assumed they were all pretty much the same). I do carry 3 though because the red sox, patriots and bruins are all just fun to toss out there on threads.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Towel length doesn’t bother me, as long as you use it to clean your clubs.

It’s dirty grooves that is the real issue in golf. You can’t trust a guy who’s got 6 years of dirt in his grooves and a towel dragging on the ground.

For real though, I know of two sort of “normal size” towels. One has the clip on a corner, the larger is meant to be folded and pulled through a towel loop.

I guess the argument for is that you have more area to clean/dry your clubs so you could play more. The caddies on tour with large towels probably created a market by being seen on TV with them.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The really long ones you're referring to usually have a hole in the middle and are called caddie towels. The hole in the middle is to be able to put it over a club so you don't have to clip it to anything.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've got a small waffle towel and my wife carries a long one that is from a high end Club in Naples. They both clean the clubs just as well - so I guess it doesn't matter. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The stainless steel sink I installed in our kitchen a few years ago came with a logo dish towel - a nice quality, black color one.  My wife promptly threw it into the rag bin.  I recused it and have been using it since.  The black color is perfect - never looks dirty.  I had a guy ask me once about the logo name... I'll bet money he spent time trying to find those clubs on-line 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I guess I'm weird but I carry several towels.  One is the standard towel used for clubs after each shot.  It clips on my bag.  My second is my Putter Tuck towel which is a putter cover/towel combo.  This goes to the green with me and is used to clean wedges, the ball, etc.  My 3rd is a larger towel I keep with me in the cart and is used to wipe sweat from the south Georgia heat or snot during the short brisk season.  Lastly, I have a small washcloth sized towel for various use that is stashed in the drink pocket of my bag.  

Granted, this is when I'm in a cart.  If I walk, its the club towel and Putter Tuck only.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

4 hours ago, JP Labuschagne said:

Hey everyone, 

Just curious to know why some people and tour player use really lengthy golf towels and not just a standard golf towel size?

I always wondered if they just took it from their hotel room shower?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

I need an extra long towel for the 15th hole at my course.  That's about the time I need to throw it and call the match after I shank one into the woods.  It's what I need when I can't take anymore of this insufferable game, and have had enough, and just throw in the towel and spend the last 4 holes suffering in misery as this game exacts more pain from me then I can tolerate for one round of golf.

Same time tomorrow?  🤣

Does it help if you start the round with a clean towel?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Same time tomorrow?  🤣

Does it help if you start the round with a clean towel?

Yep, just like that commercial where the dude goes ballistic in the parking lot, throwing his bag and trashing his clubs, while his 3 buddies look on silently.  They eventually get in the van, and temper tantrum dude goes, "So, same tee time tomorrow?"  😂

And it depends on how you define "clean".  I often dip my towel in the club wash bin to wet it down, where everyone coming off the range dips their clubs in the water to clean them off.  I really don't care, considering the sole purpose of the towel in non-summer months is to clean off my clubs and balls after they get dirty.  So what if the water is dirty.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
2 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Yep, just like that commercial where the dude goes ballistic in the parking lot, throwing his bag and trashing his clubs, while his 3 buddies look on silently.  They eventually get in the van, and temper tantrum dude goes, "So, same tee time tomorrow?"  😂

And it depends on how you define "clean".  I often dip my towel in the club wash bin to wet it down, where everyone coming off the range dips their clubs in the water to clean them off.  I really don't care, considering the sole purpose of the towel in non-summer months is to clean off my clubs and balls after they get dirty.  So what if the water is dirty.

I meant bring a clean towel from home.  Periodically, my wife grabs my towels and washes them because I tend to keep them on my bag beyond gross time.  I usually don't know it until my next round.  Does it improve my round to start with a clean towel...  not really.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

I meant bring a clean towel from home.  Periodically, my wife grabs my towels and washes them because I tend to keep them on my bag beyond gross time.  I usually don't know it until my next round.  Does it improve my round to start with a clean towel...  not really.  😂

I wash all my golf towels on Monday, after a long weekend of abusing them with mud and dirt.  If I play on Friday it's clean, but who knows what it looks like by Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

I wash all my golf towels on Monday, after a long weekend of abusing them with mud and dirt.  If I play on Friday it's clean, but who knows what it looks like by Sunday.

Our turf is very firm and I don't take much of a divot, so clubs don't get very dirty.  I get a little dirt but mostly grass in the grooves.  Since COVID we don't have any club cleaning water available on the range, and there is no water available on the course.  We have to bring our own.  In the summer a wet towel at the start of #1 is bone dry by #4.  That's why the bottle brush filled with soapy water is my goto club cleaner, and a dry towel just wipes off the wet club face.

Just now, Kenny B said:

Our turf is very firm and I don't take much of a divot, so clubs don't get very dirty.  I get a little dirt but mostly grass in the grooves.  Since COVID we don't have any club cleaning water available on the range, and there is no water available on the course.  We have to bring our own.  In the summer a wet towel at the start of #1 is bone dry by #4.  That's why the bottle brush filled with soapy water is my goto club cleaner, and a dry towel just wipes off the wet club face.

our course gets wet in the winter and muddy, and because it doesn't get all that hot, it doesn't really have a chance to dry out.  So mudballs aplenty, and well, all of that.  I've got a groove tube too, but I honestly won't go to that unless I get stuck behind the group in front of me.  I literally don't have time to use it between shots.  The guys I play with don't screw around on the course, and just go.  So I clean the clubs and balls whenever I can sneak it.

And in case you were thinking it, I think it's rude to be making noise cleaning clubs and balls when someone else is hitting or addressing their ball.  And by the time they are done, the next guy is up, and I need to get to my next shot.  Well, you get the idea.  There literally is no time to be cleaning clubs or balls during my round.  The wet towel is about the best option for me, and I just soak it to the max before tee off, and it typically stays wet through about 15 or 16 holes.

10 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

our course gets wet in the winter and muddy, and because it doesn't get all that hot, it doesn't really have a chance to dry out.  So mudballs aplenty, and well, all of that.  I've got a groove tube too, but I honestly won't go to that unless I get stuck behind the group in front of me.  I literally don't have time to use it between shots.  The guys I play with don't screw around on the course, and just go.  So I clean the clubs and balls whenever I can sneak it.

And in case you were thinking it, I think it's rude to be making noise cleaning clubs and balls when someone else is hitting or addressing their ball.  And by the time they are done, the next guy is up, and I need to get to my next shot.  Well, you get the idea.  There literally is no time to be cleaning clubs or balls during my round.  The wet towel is about the best option for me, and I just soak it to the max before tee off, and it typically stays wet through about 15 or 16 holes.

So, it has dried out about the time you throw it.  🤣

Long towels for caddies as they throw them over their shoulder which makes them easy to use. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

It's about economics and compartmentalization. Go to your favorite department store and drop $5 on a very absorbent bath towel that will actually hold water for four hours, or drop $25-$30 on a brand logo'd washcloth. I then make a point to replace them every year, as they lose their ability to hold water. Besides, I get scolded if I borrow bath towels from the bathroom. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

I don't know if the Frogger towel is considered a long towel or not, but mine ends up a muddy mess during a round in the rainy PNW

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

A towel is a towel but ideally a longer towel is better since you can dip one end in water and dry with the other. While you can do this with shorter towels, the moisture tends to soak the entire towel.

This is correct and you’ll often see it woven through the sticks of solid players. When you’re a serious gamer, it’s equally important to have clean grooves and dry hands. A lot of professionals also detest bag chatter and the extra length helps caddies keep things nice and quiet.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

IMHO you can't have too many towels. I got my half-dry/half-wet for stuck-on things, the nasty towel for the initial swipe of muddy clubfaces, then the not-so-nasty for final rinse, and the dry and buff for just-cleaned clubfaces and grips.  These are on the towel rings fixed on the bag.  Wash them about once a month whether they need it or not.

Then I got to have really big, soft one that is loose for the human (me) person parts, to get ready for the beer cart girl and on-course interviews when its hot and/or humid.  No one but me can, or should, touch this towel.   That's all I want to say about that.

2 hours ago, downlowkey said:

This is correct and you’ll often see it woven through the sticks of solid player. When you’re a serious gamer, it’s equally important to have clean grooves and dry hands. A lot of professionals also detest bag chatter and the extra length helps caddies keep things nice and quiet.

This.

Towel technology has advanced quite a bit since the late 80's / early 90's when I really was a Hardcore Looper.  The best players in the club wouldn't be caught dead with something clipped to their bag.  If they had to ride, they'd grab one of our shop towels that the caddies all used.  They're not quite bath towel length (too long, will drag on the ground when draped around the clubs), and they're definitely not bath towel weight.  Someone joked about swiping a hotel towel, but it'd have to be a pretty awful hotel to have towels thin enough for a good caddy towel (I've stayed in a few in my day).

You want one end wet to clean the clubs and the other end dry for when your loop goes into Speith-mode and has to work the towel because he's losing his mind 🤣.  But seriously, you want a dry end to wipe down grips when it gets sweaty out.  

If it's hot, you'll keep the towel around your neck about 50% of the time (and always when you're at the green, so you can clean balls before putting).  If you're a righty, you'll keep the wet end to your right for easy club cleaning.  And your t-shirt will have a brown spot by the end of the round.  48% of the time, the towel will be draped around the bag on your right shoulder, and for one hole you'll put it on the bag on your left shoulder, and you'll wonder why the hell you did that (since you're not lefty).  If it's cold, you won't put it around your neck at all, because a wet shirt is no fun when it's 45 and windy.

The new waffle-weave towels really are awesome.  Light but absorbent, and the texture helps get dirt out of grooves.  I carry a fairly long one with the caddy hole looped around my alignment sticks, and the black ones look good for a while between washings.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If you're a righty, you'll keep the wet end to your right for easy club cleaning.

Dominant hand oriented wet end is also essential for efficiently catching, cleaning and returning the ball your loop often errantly tosses at you after marking.

Never.Drop.The.Bird.Egg.Looper - that kind of bad luck is likely to cost the entire team some money 🤣

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

This.

Towel technology has advanced quite a bit since the late 80's / early 90's when I really was a Hardcore Looper.  The best players in the club wouldn't be caught dead with something clipped to their bag.  If they had to ride, they'd grab one of our shop towels that the caddies all used.  They're not quite bath towel length (too long, will drag on the ground when draped around the clubs), and they're definitely not bath towel weight.  Someone joked about swiping a hotel towel, but it'd have to be a pretty awful hotel to have towels thin enough for a good caddy towel (I've stayed in a few in my day).

You want one end wet to clean the clubs and the other end dry for when your loop goes into Speith-mode and has to work the towel because he's losing his mind 🤣.  But seriously, you want a dry end to wipe down grips when it gets sweaty out.  

If it's hot, you'll keep the towel around your neck about 50% of the time (and always when you're at the green, so you can clean balls before putting).  If you're a righty, you'll keep the wet end to your right for easy club cleaning.  And your t-shirt will have a brown spot by the end of the round.  48% of the time, the towel will be draped around the bag on your right shoulder, and for one hole you'll put it on the bag on your left shoulder, and you'll wonder why the hell you did that (since you're not lefty).  If it's cold, you won't put it around your neck at all, because a wet shirt is no fun when it's 45 and windy.

The new waffle-weave towels really are awesome.  Light but absorbent, and the texture helps get dirt out of grooves.  I carry a fairly long one with the caddy hole looped around my alignment sticks, and the black ones look good for a while between washings.  

image.png.55aced322a302498c023987233e7403b.png

This looks alot bigger than the towels I see in the golf stores = huge.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 1/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, MattF said:

The really long ones you're referring to usually have a hole in the middle and are called caddie towels. The hole in the middle is to be able to put it over a club so you don't have to clip it to anything.

When I would be caddying for someone I loved when golfers had this towel as it allowed me to keep one dry side and one wet side to clean clubs throughout the round.  

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review