Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does length of time to receive order affect your club purchase decisions?

Mr. 82

Using my own examples.  I ordered two new PING i210 wedges (PW and UW) on December 6th with custom specs, and after 3 weeks discovered it wouldn't be until March before the clubs came.  So I cancelled the order.  I then ordered two Vokey wedges that were in stock on closeout just last week that have already arrived and I have already tested them on the course and am really excited to be putting these two clubs into my bag and into play now.  Oh, and a small bonus is that the Vokeys were $12 cheaper than the PING wedges, and came with free shipping and no tax from where I ordered them from.

But I've noticed that companies like PING and Ben Hogan are out of stock on a lot of things, and the turnaround to getting new clubs is 3-4 months now.

Am I the only one that will adjust my club buying decisions based on turnaround time for the order (if I have a choice)?  

Sure, I get it, we're living in unprecedented times and we've made things really hard coming from China, but still.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Nope. If I want a certain club or set I’ll buy them and wait for them.

Anything I’m buying even if blind is because that’s what I decided I wanted for a spot in my bag so I’m not going to change just to have something in that slot.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You could always do the WRXer thing, buy an "interim" set of clubs while you wait for the clubs that you really want 😂

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

44 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

You could always do the WRXer thing, buy an "interim" set of clubs while you wait for the clubs that you really want 😂

Well ironically, I sold so many clubs last year that I left myself without a backup PW or GW.  My only choice was to use my PING Eye 9 iron and PW that come from the set of irons I used in high school back in the 80's.  

Well, ok, I take that back.  I had a backup, but discovered that the lofts on the PW and GW wouldn't work for the distances I needed, totally screwing me.  And with a HUGE interclub tournament this weekend, and playing a short course, I am going to be wearing out a PW and GW.  The timing of getting these Vokeys was absolutely perfect for me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

4 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Well ironically, I sold so many clubs last year that I left myself without a backup PW or GW.  My only choice was to use my PING Eye 9 iron and PW that come from the set of irons I used in high school back in the 80's.  

Well, ok, I take that back.  I had a backup, but discovered that the lofts on the PW and GW wouldn't work for the distances I needed, totally screwing me.  And with a HUGE interclub tournament this weekend, and playing a short course, I am going to be wearing out a PW and GW.  The timing of getting these Vokeys was absolutely perfect for me.

But you did cancel the Ping i210 order right? I know folks that would have bought the Vokeys AND kept the Ping i210 order lol.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4