TESTERS WANTED! ×

Has anyone tried Jumbomax grips?

So Bryson is the mad scientist, and once you get past the ridiculousness of his methods, there is some nuggets of good ideas. I was looking into jumbomax grips, and they are currently out of the ultralite in the size I would like to try. I do not want to go down the tour route as that is a nightmare to get my clubs back to the swing weight I play them. Has anyone tried them? I would like to know if it does help with club face control, and if the quality is any good? How does it do with moisture control as I play in very humid conditions. Any feedback on the grips is much appreciated 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I have experimented with them and have a perspective from my experience. At first I thought they were the grips I needed. Kinda like the first few times you roll a brand new putter, you have a different "feel" and for whatever reason the "new" just works. Then your body gets use to the change/comfortable and reality kicks in. I like how the jumbo's felt, and they held up very well in humid/wet weather. My challenge is I am a "feel" player with very much active hands (yes I time my flip on flop shots). I can not with oversize grips---others can I just could not. Where I loved the jumbomax grip is my driver, very solid center strikes. I would say try a few first before going all in. And if I could do what Bryson does it would be a no Brainer. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

11 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I have experimented with them and have a perspective from my experience. At first I thought they were the grips I needed. Kinda like the first few times you roll a brand new putter, you have a different "feel" and for whatever reason the "new" just works. Then your body gets use to the change/comfortable and reality kicks in. I like how the jumbo's felt, and they held up very well in humid/wet weather. My challenge is I am a "feel" player with very much active hands (yes I time my flip on flop shots). I can not with oversize grips---others can I just could not. Where I loved the jumbomax grip is my driver, very solid center strikes. I would say try a few first before going all in. And if I could do what Bryson does it would be a no Braineremoji3.png. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If we could do a fraction of what Bryson does we’d be okay lol the driver and irons is really where I want them. I don’t want a lot of power for my wedges, and I’m not a flop shot guy but I don’t think I’d get them on my wedges. I appreciate your input, and I think I will try on my driver first. 

I have never tried them.  I was in our only golf store a couple of months ago, and a new set of irons were sitting in the repair section with JumboMax grips on them.  I assumed that the shop had just put them on; nope!  The had put them on a week or so earlier, and they were back in to take them off.  Expensive trial for someone, so I will echo @aerospace_ray and try them on a couple of clubs.

I like midsize grips but I don't think I would like these.  I might be able to use them with the driver and my wedges.  I don't take full swings with wedges.  I think they might be good for bump and run shots and Steve Stricker-like pitch shots.  I don't think I would have a problem with flop shops with them as I don't flip the club; use body rotation instead.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A friend of mine had put them on his irons. I was able to try them out on the range. It took about 10 swings before I adjusted to the "feel" of them. I was able to hit some good shots but I was not a fan. If you are looking to have a completely different feel then there you go. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

16 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

So Bryson is the mad scientist, and once you get past the ridiculousness of his methods, there is some nuggets of good ideas. I was looking into jumbomax grips, and they are currently out of the ultralite in the size I would like to try. I do not want to go down the tour route as that is a nightmare to get my clubs back to the swing weight I play them. Has anyone tried them? I would like to know if it does help with club face control, and if the quality is any good? How does it do with moisture control as I play in very humid conditions. Any feedback on the grips is much appreciated 

I haven't tried them as of yet.  Very Moe Norman'esk to be honest, which is the basis for what Bryson is attempting to do now.  I'd be curious to see and or hear what people find in their testing with them.  Not sure my swing type could pull it off but who knows. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

I just put one (Jumbomax Ultralite) on my driver as a test, will be trying it out this weekend down in Vegas.

Cobra F8 Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Black 5F3

Cobra Speedzone 3W - Fujikura Pro 53 R

Cobra F9 5-6 Fwy - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6-R

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Vega Alcor 60 LW - KBS Tour 105 (S)

Bettinardi SS3C

16 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I haven't tried them as of yet.  Very Moe Norman'esk to be honest, which is the basis for what Bryson is attempting to do now.  I'd be curious to see and or hear what people find in their testing with them.  Not sure my swing type could pull it off but who knows. 

I’m not sure if it fits my swing type either, but I like his view of it fitting a finger palm grip. I grip more palm like, from what I learned in the Ben hogan book. Yet the added distance you get from it being more in the fingers is very beneficial. My thinking much like Bryson of the distance from the fingers but control of the palm grip seems like it is perfect, but we will see. Gonna have to put them to the test and see, so once they are in stock I’m going to try them out and will report back. 

12 minutes ago, apexironman said:

I just put one (Jumbomax Ultralite) on my driver as a test, will be trying it out this weekend down in Vegas.

Good luck, seems like a good place to try them out

1 hour ago, cjeffs12 said:

Good luck, seems like a good place to try them out

Thanks! I have tee times with my son at Royal Links And Bali Hai.

Bettinardi SS3C

On 1/7/2021 at 8:22 AM, apexironman said:

Tried the grip this weekend. I would consider it a success.  I hit a number of good drives, usually straight or with a little cut.  The distance was as good or better than my normal 230-240 yard drive.  My misses were not as bad, no big hooks or slices.  Even the contact off the face sounded better.

I just ordered 3 more to put on my fairway woods. I think a measured approach is best. But, so far so good.

Bettinardi SS3C

• 3 months later...

So, I just put the JumboMax JMX Ultralights in the medium size on my irons, FWY and driver last week. I hit them some at home into my net for a few days prior to my round of golf on Friday. I went to the range and hit a few buckets to get some more time with them prior to my round. Before I get into the grips, this was the second round of golf for me for the season and I just resumed playing golf late last year after about a six year break. My first round of the year was abysmal! I stopped even keeping score after the first few holes and about two sleeves of balls! So, now to the grips... They take some getting used to obviously, I've pretty much played medium grips previously. I wear a large glove so I went with the JumboMax recommended medium size. While the grips by no means made me into Bryson, I was hitting the ball much straighter than usual. Even when I mishit the ball it was going in the correct direction. The biggest change for me was driving the ball. Since resuming playing golf I've been spotty with the driver, I can slice it one minute, and pull hook it the next, however, last week with an old TM R7 425 TP I was either in the fairway or playable in the rough on almost every drive. The biggest thing for me is that I broke 100 for the first time in like seven years with a 96! That is HUGE for me. This may all be a fluke but I'm sticking with the JumboMax JMX Ultralights. I'm going to order some more for other clubs I'm getting.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

On 1/6/2021 at 6:15 PM, cjeffs12 said:

I tossed one on a wedge as a $15 experiment... they are not conducive to the type of short wedge shots I hit!

Now that I’m taking full swings again, I might try it again... it will definitely keep your wrist stable, but might eliminate the ability to hit a draw... 

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

I use them. Bought a new wedge, played it before I changed the grip... its inconceivable not for me to play without the thicker grips! Feels like so much more control.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

Agree.  I could not play without them.  A standard grip feels like holding a pencil.

The main benefit to me is that they remove tension in the hands and arms.  They also keep the clubface squarer for longer, even if it is just for a very short time.

Yes they change feel initially, but it goes away in a few rounds.

I have them on all clubs.  Never going back.

Shoot 'em straight

13 minutes ago, lasorcier said:

Agree.  I could not play without them.  A standard grip feels like holding a pencil.

The main benefit to me is that they remove tension in the hands and arms.  They also keep the clubface squarer for longer, even if it is just for a very short time.

Agree on people trying non-standard grips. But people should definitely figure out the size that works for them. I have massive hands, but I'm abnormal in that my fingers are normal sized and its my palms that are massive. So oversized grips don't work that well for me since if I want to interlock my fingers I really have to be reaching around the grip. In contrast, the range of mid sized grips are perfect. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Yup.  I had good luck with their sizing tool.  I wear a ML Bionic glove and use the jumbomax tour small. 

What that does for me is it makes a gap between the thumbpad and the fingertips very small on my upper hand.   With anything smaller, those two touch and very much so with standard/midsize.  When that is the case bad things happen.  Example:

16195378885511247058706.jpg.4cfcabfb838066a7fe1a9c7c8043014f.jpg

There is a gap but it is small.  It is such that if I clinch, they are barely touching.  That is how I happen to do it and the jumbomax tour small seem best st that for me.

I do not add lead tape to the clubs.  I just got used to it.

Shoot 'em straight

On 4/27/2021 at 10:16 AM, lasorcier said:

This exactly. I only ordered one of the JumboMax Ultralight XL grips and put it on my driver to try out. I wasn’t expecting much, but after getting used to the size, I don’t think I will ever look back. I have had issues with my hands being sore at times after longer range sessions with driver, but this grip has fixed that. Best golf purchase I’ve made and I plan on getting them for the rest of my clubs 👍🏻

Obsessed with the game

• 1 month later...

Finally jumped in and went through the fitting guide, and they recommended the Medium Oversized. I ordered two, one to try on the driver and I figure on my pitching wedge seeing as those are the two clubs I use the most and tend to hook the most. Excited to get them on and out to practice. 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, lasorcier said:

Yup.  I had good luck with their sizing tool.  I wear a ML Bionic glove and use the jumbomax tour small. 

What that does for me is it makes a gap between the thumbpad and the fingertips very small on my upper hand.   With anything smaller, those two touch and very much so with standard/midsize.  When that is the case bad things happen.  Example:

16195378885511247058706.jpg.4cfcabfb838066a7fe1a9c7c8043014f.jpg

There is a gap but it is small.  It is such that if I clinch, they are barely touching.  That is how I happen to do it and the jumbomax tour small seem best st that for me.

I do not add lead tape to the clubs.  I just got used to it.

Is the JumboMax small still bigger than a standard/midsize grip? 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I tried them. I believe it was the medium size. Either way, it was a size considerably bigger than normal midsize grips. I felt like I couldn’t really curve the ball, but my path started shifting. So I’d see pushes and pulls, but nothing straight. Like my brain was trying to figure it out and it caused overcompensations. I also didn’t like how light they were. My clubs SW increased to D8 and felt off to me. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

On 6/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Tyler86 said:

Is the JumboMax small still bigger than a standard/midsize grip? 

Yes it is small oversized, so it will be much larger than standard and midsized. 

So I started with two ultralight medium oversized, I wear medium gloves. I was blown away with how light they were. I put them on last night after my round, and took them out to the range today. From first hand placement they just felt proper, and instantly more comfortable. I put them on my pitching wedge and 9 iron. My first shot with the PW, started right and kept going right about 30 yards right of target, after that I was almost hitting the pole on the range I was aiming at, and I really found it easy for me aim and on target. For me it was so easy to get the club face squared up and I really found a groove. It took out the big curves for me, it really helped me. Needless to say I got home and immediately ordered the rest of the set. Now if you love the feel of butter from your irons, I do not think you will enjoy these grips. I have the sub70 mb in short irons and they are soft when struck well and it took a lot of that feel away, but still had enough feel for feedback if you mishit one. 

• 3 weeks later...

So i have played the JumboMax small on my driver, per their sizing chart, for 6 rounds now. Its coming off 🤣. I do think i picked up a few yards on distance, maybe 10. However i have a hard time feeling/finding the club face as easily. I feel like what little ability i had to shape my driver shot, is gone. That said, i do like the concept. Maybe to big too fast? I plan on replacing it with the Golf Pride MCC+4 Jumbo instead of standard and see how that goes. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 1 month later...

Back in mid July I switched the Jumbo Max to a Lamkin Crossline Oversized cause the weight was a closer match than the MCC +4 Jumbo. I gave it about 12 rounds and i just cant get used to a grip that big. Went back to standard. I can see how the JumboMax may work for some, just not for me.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 1 year later...

Yep, commenting on an old thread.  There are several JumboMax grip discussions and based on a video by one of our forum members and clubmakers  @McGolf I’m now interested in trying them.  I know he specifically tested irons, but I’d like to try it on driver; not really looking for more distance in my irons, but as is everyone else I’m looking for better and longer tee shots 😁    I’m willing to put $17.00 into this experiment and see how it performs for me.   I’ve gone to the JumboMax site and it seems the fitting is based on glove size….I get the reasoning for that, but as studies have shown, people use the wrong size glove and I doubt there is a standard size for gloves either.   Not sure my usual golf store has them,  but the GG that is about 40 minutes away does so I just need to find some time to head over.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Yep, commenting on an old thread.  There are several JumboMax grip discussions and based on a video by one of our forum members and clubmakers  @McGolf I’m now interested in trying them.  I know he specifically tested irons, but I’d like to try it on driver; not really looking for more distance in my irons, but as is everyone else I’m looking for better and longer tee shots 😁    I’m willing to put $17.00 into this experiment and see how it performs for me.   I’ve gone to the JumboMax site and it seems the fitting is based on glove size….I get the reasoning for that, but as studies have shown, people use the wrong size glove and I doubt there is a standard size for gloves either.   Not sure my usual golf store has them,  but the GG that is about 40 minutes away does so I just need to find some time to head over.

If I can make a suggestion?  Call the GG to insure the inventory is there.  The stores here including the DSG's are woefully out of stock on a LOT of supply items and when you ask about replenishment all you get is a shrug...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

25 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

If I can make a suggestion?  Call the GG to insure the inventory is there.  The stores here including the DSG's are woefully out of stock on a LOT of supply items and when you ask about replenishment all you get is a shrug...

There website shows available quantities for the selected store and I have observed them as being accurate.  that is one nice thing about large chain stores is that you can sometimes view available inventory by store location.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG