Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Effortless vs powerful LOOKING swing

RaginCajun

Effortless vs powerfull looking swing  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Everything being equal would you rather have a effortless or powerful looking swing?

• Effortless looking
    • Powerful looking

Everyone has either played with or seen these two completely different types of players. First, the person who looks like they are taking a practice swing but then watch the ball rocket off of his 7i club face and end up 180+ yards down the fairway. Secondly, the person who takes their backswing then proceeds to swing their club so fast you hear the air tearing and the ball whimper before contact. Both are equally impressive for polar opposite reasons. 

Both swings are mechanically sound, with distance, dispersion, and accuracy all being equal. Which swing would you rather have?

Intellectually maddening, soulfully satisfying 

Both are essentially effective swings that are the same from an impact perspective.

Since I want to play golf for a long time, the one that guarantees no injuries .

Visually I’d prefer the smoother swing. People seem more impressed the Els like swing
Than a Bryson like swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Two approaches to swinging it 135mph:

If it takes swinging like Bryson and I can make it work, fine. But I'd much rather do it like Nienaber.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm going to go with the effortless looking swing, I just think the risk of injury is less likely. Plus, there's just something about watching players like Els, Couples, and Nienaber take such a smooth swing and watching the ball rocket off the face. 

Since I am not being paid for my play I'll 100% take the swing that will naturally age and stay with me for life!  Everyone wants to hit the ball like some of these pro's but at what cost?  We're all amateurs who practice infrequently and play on average what 1-2 times a week if that for some.  I'll never understand the disconnect in reality that some folks have.  You're just not gonna get it like those cats unless your training every day of the week, hittin balls every day of the week and have some world class eye-hand coordination.  

But, to the point I'd take Nienaber every day of the week personally. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

If it takes swinging like Bryson and I can make it work, fine. But I'd much rather do it like Nienaber.

Count me in the Nienabar "Effortless" group.  That swing looks like it will age very well and lead to fewer injuries.  Not to mention its just more aesthetically pleasing.  Gotta make it look easy when the cart girl is in range.  😂

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

A Couples, Els, DLIII swing would be nice to have. Bryson’s isn’t one to shy away from.

The swing I want is the one that minimizes my chance of injury thru effective mechanics.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

To play devils advocate here, even if risk of injury and longevity were the same no one would want a powerful looking swing? 

Do you think the effortless style is something youre "born with" or players learn to swing like that? 

To play devils advocate here, even if risk of injury and longevity were the same no one would want a powerful looking swing? 
Do you think the effortless style is something youre "born with" or players learn to swing like that? 

Even with injury risk the same I think I like the look of the effortless swing. It does feel like those guys like are born with that perfect flow and rhythm vs guys like Bryson who we know are trying to do different things with their mechanics to optimize results.

It *looks* like the smooth guy would be more consistent day to day, even if that isn’t true.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Oh effortless for sure... it is WAY, WAY cooler and chicks dig it 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

One isn't inherently better than the other. One will be great for some players but the opposite will be bad for them.

Now there are 2 big reasons as to why Bryson's swing visually looks more powerful than Wilco's even though the clubhead speed is relatively similar.

1) Bryson has a quicker tempo and transition than Wilco

2) Wilco's finish visually appears to be more controlled

While I definitely believe that Bryson could still create the same speed while having a more "effortless" looking swing than he does now, there are definitely a couple of natural advantages that Wilco has over Bryson that makes it easier for him to have that "effortless" looking swing while creating tons of speed.

Now this first part is purely speculation but I highly suspect that Wilco has a wingspan that is greater than his height (like often seen in basketball players). This would allow him to create a much wider swing and the ability to gain speed far easier than Bryson even though they stand only an inch apart in height. Secondly Wilco's hand position at the top of his backswing is quite high and significantly higher than Bryson. Most of the longest hitters in the world have similarly high hands (See DJ and Cameron Champ). This has been a staple component of Professional Long Drivers for years and part of the reason for the huge success seen by both Jamie Sadlowski in the 2000's and Kyle Berkshire right now.  If you look Bryson's Moe Norman style single plane swing makes this very difficult for him to replicate an frankly makes his speed a bit more impressive

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Give me effortless. And coming from someone that has a “powerful” swing it’s not a long term swing I’ll be able to use in 15 years lol. Effortless, effortless, and effortless please 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Effortless 8 days a week. Far easier on the body and something that will work for years.

Frankly, I do not care one bit what my swing looks like. Does it get the ball close to where I want it to? Then that's the swing for me.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, RaginCajun said:

If you take everything away except for look,  there really is not difference in the swings.  I think swing mechanics are driven by how your body works so I guess you could say that effortless is something your are "born with" or destined to have. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Assuming all other variables are equal including injury risk, I will take the effortless, looks more aesthetic. Again, all other variables equal.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Alright, so not the mixed bag I was hoping for. In almost all other sports its a compliment to be described as strong, powerful, etc... I guess there isnt much room for that in a gentlemans game. 

@DPattGolf brought up a very interesting point. I never thought to look at proportions along with transition speed, but it makes total sense. Maybe a slower/smoother backswing coupled with a slower tempo will give a more effortless look.🤷🏽‍♂️  

15 minutes ago, RaginCajun said:

Alright, so not the mixed bag I was hoping for. In almost all other sports its a compliment to be described as strong, powerful, etc... I guess there isnt much room for that in a gentlemans game. 

@DPattGolf brought up a very interesting point. I never thought to look at proportions along with transition speed, but it makes total sense. Maybe a slower/smoother backswing coupled with a slower tempo will give a more effortless look.🤷🏽‍♂️  

I was told many years ago to slow down my back swing. He said to me " You don't hit anything on the way back and trying to stop and be in the proper position to start the down swing is much harder" It made complete sense, so I slowed down the back swing all the way to the top and became more accurate. I'm not as slow as Sungjae though!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Effortless always. I want to play consistent golf and feeling like I have to swing out of my shoes every time is unlikely to provide that. I'd argue that even some "powerful" swingers actually have an effortless swing. Rory and Tiger are good examples - especially current Tiger. While both certainly lash at the ball every so often, for the most part their swings are pretty smooth (especially when viewed in-person). I never realized just how smooth Tiger (and many other tour players swings) are until I saw them firsthand, on the range at the 2018 PGA.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I was told many years ago to slow down my back swing. He said to me " You don't hit anything on the way back and trying to stop and be in the proper position to start the down swing is much harder" It made complete sense, so I slowed down the back swing all the way to the top and became more accurate. I'm not as slow as Sungjae though!

It is interesting how swing philosophies change. That was what we used to hear....low and slow on the backswing. Seems like with today’s speed and distance focus that the desire is fast back and through.

One of things my instructor has has me doing is swing my wedge extremely fast to try and get about 15 more yards than my normal swing. I asked him what the purpose was and paraphrasing His response was that it helped the sequencing and that it actually improved the normal swing dynamics.

Effortless always. I want to play consistent golf and feeling like I have to swing out of my shoes every time is unlikely to provide that. I'd argue that even some "powerful" swingers actually have an effortless swing. Rory and Tiger are good examples - especially current Tiger. While both certainly lash at the ball every so often, for the most part their swings are pretty smooth (especially when viewed in-person). I never realized just how smooth Tiger (and many other tour players swings) are until I saw them firsthand, on the range at the 2018 PGA.

Agree 100% the swings look so different in person and are much smoother in person. I wonder how much our perception is influenced by their footwork. Looking at Bryson and long drivers like Kyle Berkshire they put so much energy into their swing that the lower body spins out. I watched some video on Chris Comos Instagram where he had the two of them over to his house and it showed how similar their mechanics are. They showed some overheard shots of Kyle and it is amazing to me how much his left foot moves during the follow through.

Bryson's single plane swing is inherently better overall for the body than a silky smooth swing.  Everything turns together on the downswing so there is less stress on the lower back, similar to WLD players.  He built up his body to ensure that his core can handle the stress of his swing speed.  Not all, but many of the smooth effortless looking swing, players have back problems.  When you come down to impact with a squat move at the same time as you post up on your lead leg, it puts the back in a very bad position at impact.  I worry about that in the smaller players that generate a lot of speed.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It is interesting how swing philosophies change. That was what we used to hear....low and slow on the backswing. Seems like with today’s speed and distance focus that the desire is fast back and through.

One of things my instructor has has me doing is swing my wedge extremely fast to try and get about 15 more yards than my normal swing. I asked him what the purpose was and paraphrasing His response was that it helped the sequencing and that it actually improved the normal swing dynamics.

My instructor says the same thing; he said use the 60.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Agree 100% the swings look so different in person and are much smoother in person.

TRULY. The cameras don't just add LBS, they add speed lol!

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I wonder how much our perception is influenced by their footwork.

I'm sure quite a bit. Thinking about that specifically, how would you categorize Jordan Spieth's swing?

I've spent the last 2 years improving Swing A. There's a difference between swinging fast and swinging hard. Keep control, square the ball, and watch it go.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I'm sure quite a bit. Thinking about that specifically, how would you categorize Jordan Spieth's swing?

If I look at upper body smooth, but if I focus on feet I would say powerful.

10 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

TRULY. The cameras don't just add LBS, they add speed lol!

Weak and erratic according to the stats, but it's smooth with body turn that doesn't stress the back as much as most other players.  I like the swing; seems he fixed the chicken wing, but needs to get it more under control.

BTW, I picked Spieth to win a tournament this year.

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Weak and erratic according to the stats, but it's smooth with body turn that doesn't stress the back as much as most other players.  I like the swing; seems he fixed the chicken wing, but needs to get it more under control.

BTW, I picked Spieth to win a tournament this year.

There's no way he doesn't bounce back. I think he shot himself in the foot trying to add some distance, but he has a remarkable amount of talent and athleticism. Hopefully 2021 is the year we see him return to form. Still holding out for Rickie Fowler as well.

I was a power swinger in my younger days (40 - 55), not so much now. I'm 61 now.  I have transitioned to a smoother swing from back swing to contact. I will say that I have lost distance: very noticeable last season. I need to work on proper contact this coming season. I think I'm already at full extension at contact, which is killing distance.... I think. 🤔

Edited by silver & black

21 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I've spent the last 2 years improving Swing A. There's a difference between swinging fast and swinging hard. Keep control, square the ball, and watch it go.

Take Dead Aim

Agree.  But I must admit that, after having crapped up a drive on a preceding hole, I often "take it out" on the next tee box and just as often crush one down the runway.  Not sure if I'm swinging faster or swinging harder but the result has me thinking I should do it more often 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Agree.  But I must admit that, after having crapped up a drive on a preceding hole, I often "take it out" on the next tee box and just as often crush one down the runway.  Not sure if I'm swinging faster or swinging harder but the result has me thinking I should do it more often .
Harvey Penick said always keep a little in reserve, you never know when you may need it. It's good to be able to go get it when you have to.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star