Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

UST Mamiya Lin-Q Gunmetal

Any of y'all game the UST Mamiya Lin-Q Gunmetal? Pros, Cons or opinions?

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

The Gunmetal Lin-Q is a shaft designed for fast swingers with a hard transition and move at the ball.  Aggressive players looking to control tempo would benefit from a shaft like this with a 70g + weight and stiff tip and mid sections. Price is reasonable in the 200-250 range. 

Cons - not for smooth swingers with moderate tempo or those looking for higher launch. UST claim a unique fibre technology with added strength at a lower weight - but what manufacturer doesn't these days in their range? Overall feel is firm to stout with a lower torque models - UST have their usual blurb on energy storage, stability, straighter longer drives etc - which is pretty much a sales gimmick without being properly fitted for this shaft. Or any other shaft in their range.

If it fits your swing it’s a good shaft. If it doesn’t it’s still a good shaft just not a good one for you.

http://drivingrangeheroes.com/ust-mamiya-lin-q-gunmetal-shaft-review/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 months later...

While it's not the gunmetal you're asking about, I game the Lin-Q Purple in both my driver and 3wood. When getting fitted, it came down to Ventus Black 7x, KBS TD, and the Lin-Q purple. For me, the dispersion was the tightest with the purple and I've loved every swing with both clubs since.

If it's a question as to is the Lin-Q lineup a great shaft? Absolutely.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

• 4 weeks later...

The gun metal (in a Sim2) just helped me win a long drive competition in my league! I have a fast tempo with the driver and no matter how fast I swing it keeps my dispersions really tight unless I completely screwed up the swing. Even on miss hits the ball is not 2 fairways over like with my M2 and stock shaft. $ well spent!

I wish I could find more information about the overall bend profiles of these shafts.  UST Mamiya stuff just doesn't seem to be popular enough for anyone to pay attention to which is a shame because they are top notch.  They tend to stick to the Asian markets quite heavily.

My bag is a revolving door!

10 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I wish I could find more information about the overall bend profiles of these shafts.  UST Mamiya stuff just doesn't seem to be popular enough for anyone to pay attention to which is a shame because they are top notch.  They tend to stick to the Asian markets quite heavily.

Yeah UST doesn’t post them on their website.

Golfshaftreviews might have them. The purple is a counterbalanced shaft. It’s different from the hzrdus yellow in feel and to me is a heavier version of the helium. Not sure how close those two are in profiles 

The gunmetal other than be a low low profile I don’t have much else on it. They are pretty good at answering questions on social media so you could try asking there

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah UST doesn’t post them on their website.

Golfshaftreviews might have them. The purple is a counterbalanced shaft. It’s different from the hzrdus yellow in feel and to me is a heavier version of the helium. Not sure how close those two are in profiles 

The gunmetal other than be a low low profile I don’t have much else on it. They are pretty good at answering questions on social media so you could try asking there

I've checked Golfshaftreviews before and they don't have anything.  The Gunmetal feels pretty stout to me and I'm guessing is more of a whiteboard profile (soft butt, stiff mid and tip).  I'm also assuming the Purple is more of a blueboard profile (stiff butt, soft mid, stiff tip).

My bag is a revolving door!

1 minute ago, 03trdblack said:

I've checked Golfshaftreviews before and they don't have anything.  The Gunmetal feels pretty stout to me and I'm guessing is more of a whiteboard profile (soft butt, stiff mid and tip).  I'm also assuming the Purple is more of a blueboard profile (stiff butt, soft mid, stiff tip).

I haven’t had a chance to swing the gunmetal but based on my experience the with other UST shafts in a similar category that’s probably a good comparison.

The purple more than likely has that type of profile. Having been a blue board guy for along time the purple is better feel.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Lin-Q purple stiff 65gr un-cut and not tipped for any brand (raw shaft) if anyone is interested. $200 shipped 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I see a sim2 max 3w with this on second swing. I am tempted as I want to try a 3w but need a stable shaft. Recently switched my driver to a Ventus black 6x and love it. This shaft seems up my alley if I decide to go through with it. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review