TESTERS WANTED! ×

What makes a good Club Professional??

So, I was wondering what you think makes a Club Professional a good pro.

We all have pros that we like and those that we don't see eye to eye with. What traits go with each category?  

Thanks for your input!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

A good teacher regardless where they work at has to be able to communicate their thoughts and approach to the student in a way the student understands it.

They have to understand the physical abilities of the student so that they aren’t asking them to do something that isn’t possible from a physical standpoint of the student.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For starters:

They ask questions what are you looking to achieve or work on - your expectations. Tell me about your current game, what's your time commitment to practice and/or play.

They ask how you learn: visual learner, etc.  

They're honest about their abilities and resources, i.e. don't push a brand because that's what you make a commission on. 

They don't make the student start from scratch, or try to teach the perfect swing. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Such a hard question to answer. Throughout the country clubs are very different. Some have a giant budget and some barely have one at all. Generally speaking the more money the club has to work with the better your service will or should be. You walk into a high end club and you are greeted by more than one person. The club pro can give you lessons or offer advice, give you a tour of the golf facility or connect you with a person that just handles new membership information. The assistants would be checking you in and ringing you up. Then you get to the other extreme. No budget.... The Pro is bringing up carts, loading bags on carts, trying to answer the phone and questions. Ringing you up, giving you a key to the cart. Then when things are slow he is out picking the range and maybe trying to give a lesson that usually gets interrupted. 

So what should you expect?  

I would like someone to be courteous. You are there to pay and play golf. They should be there to make sure you have an enjoyable time while you are there. 

If I run into an issue on the course and I call the pro shop, someone should answer the phone and resolve my problem.

If I want some lessons they need to be able to teach. Verbal, visual and feel type of communications between you and your Pro. There should be a commitment on both sides

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

36 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nic, just a few of my thoughts.  Yes, I have seen good club pros and bad club pros, not just in my area but on my travels around the country.  I will qualify my response with...  I suppose it makes a difference whether the club pro represents a private club or a public course.  I have no experience with pros at private clubs. 

1. The posts in “Pro’s Should Act Like Pro’s” should be ground rules.  Remember, club pros are in the hospitality industry and represent the club as well as themselves.  I’ve seen club pros that have no business being a club representative. 
  2. Pros need to make themselves available to both the general public as well as the members; meet and greet occasionally.  A course has a better reputation if the pro is friendly and that also fosters a better working environment for the staff.  The public appreciates that.
  3. The pro should make time to play with the various member groups that make up the core of the club; Yes, that means the Ladies group as well!  Members enjoy getting to know the pro outside the clubhouse.
  4. The pro should take charge of unruly situations on the course.  Course marshals should be give clear direction what their duties are and reflect the position of the club pro.  Situations that get out of hand are best handled by the club pro.
  5. The club pro should treat all member groups equally.  Example, if the pro runs the Men’s and Women’s Club Championships, the Men’s tournament shouldn’t get BBQ hamburgers and all the sides, while the Ladies tournament get hot dogs and a bag of chips.  That just says the pro doesn’t care about the women members.
  6. The pro should be readily available for lessons, especially “emergency” lessons.  If the pro’s schedule is booked solid, then the club should invest in a Teaching Pro in addition to the Club Pro.

I think this an excellent list. We have had a couple of pros over the years who had no business interacting with the public. I even quit and joined another course years ago because of the pro. After he left I rejoined. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Nic, just a few of my thoughts.  Yes, I have seen good club pros and bad club pros, not just in my area but on my travels around the country.  I will qualify my response with...  I suppose it makes a difference whether the club pro represents a private club or a public course.  I have no experience with pros at private clubs. 

1. The posts in “Pro’s Should Act Like Pro’s” should be ground rules.  Remember, club pros are in the hospitality industry and represent the club as well as themselves.  I’ve seen club pros that have no business being a club representative. 
  2. Pros need to make themselves available to both the general public as well as the members; meet and greet occasionally.  A course has a better reputation if the pro is friendly and that also fosters a better working environment for the staff.  The public appreciates that.
  3. The pro should make time to play with the various member groups that make up the core of the club; Yes, that means the Ladies group as well!  Members enjoy getting to know the pro outside the clubhouse.
  4. The pro should take charge of unruly situations on the course.  Course marshals should be give clear direction what their duties are and reflect the position of the club pro.  Situations that get out of hand are best handled by the club pro.
  5. The club pro should treat all member groups equally.  Example, if the pro runs the Men’s and Women’s Club Championships, the Men’s tournament shouldn’t get BBQ hamburgers and all the sides, while the Ladies tournament get hot dogs and a bag of chips.  That just says the pro doesn’t care about the women members.
  6. The pro should be readily available for lessons, especially “emergency” lessons.  If the pro’s schedule is booked solid, then the club should invest in a Teaching Pro in addition to the Club Pro.

Said very nicely exactly what I was going to post

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

What I like about the course I have been a member at for a year now---- Both Pros are the owners. One of the owners his kids work the bag drop and the other one his Mom runs the grill snack bar. With that family atmosphere they treat everyone outstandingly good. We are semi private and when they get in a jam busy wise some of us will help with the carts etc. They pay all their attention to smooth operations. As far as lessons they have an outside guy who gives lessons on the range. He rents the building and range space

This is a far cry from the big group tourist operated courses. Most of the tourist courses their staff are rude and obnoxious and could care less if you or anyone else plays there again.

I think the reason I love my course so much is because they run it like my old man ran his Customers First

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

18 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

What I like about the course I have been a member at for a year now---- Both Pros are the owners. One of the owners his kids work the bag drop and the other one his Mom runs the grill snack bar. With that family atmosphere they treat everyone outstandingly good. We are semi private and when they get in a jam busy wise some of us will help with the carts etc. They pay all their attention to smooth operations. As far as lessons they have an outside guy who gives lessons on the range. He rents the building and range space

This is a far cry from the big group tourist operated courses. Most of the tourist courses their staff are rude and obnoxious and could care less if you or anyone else plays there again.

I think the reason I love my course so much is because they run it like my old man ran his Customers First

Which course are you a member at?  I'm usually down your way once or twice a year to play golf. 

There are two customers the Club Pros need to manage, the members and their staff. 

From a membership POV, you are first and foremost the MC of all entertainment.  You are their pride and joy.  From the way you dress the staff, how you devote attention to all facets of the operation, not just the Men’s low handicap group.  While being an accomplished player is nice, the people you surround yourself with can either make or break your operation. 

From an employment standpoint, the best pros I worked for never delegated a task they wouldn’t do themselves. They wouldn’t mind driving the range cart or cleaning carts after a long night to help the staff.  Show up first and be the last to eat.  If you want to be a good teacher / player / shop manager, they will be attentive to your desire and help you grow; in return you need to reciprocate that effort. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 1/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

A good teacher regardless where they work at has to be able to communicate their thoughts and approach to the student in a way the student understands it.

They have to understand the physical abilities of the student so that they aren’t asking them to do something that isn’t possible from a physical standpoint of the student.

I think its great when a club pro is a good instructor, but that's just a small part of the job in most cases.  The pro generally runs a business (the pro shop), he runs tournaments (usually working with a committee of members and coordinating with F&B), he may have responsibilities in recruiting new members, he's the point of contact for maintenance concerns, so many things.  So a good club profession must be a jack of all trades, he must be organized and able to delegate as appropriate.  He has to be able to interact with lots of different personality types.  And yes, he ideally should be a good instructor, with all of that entails.  The really good ones make it look easy, but its like watching a duck swim.  On top, its smooth and easy, but underneath he's paddling like crazy!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think its great when a club pro is a good instructor, but that's just a small part of the job in most cases.  The pro generally runs a business (the pro shop), he runs tournaments (usually working with a committee of members and coordinating with F&B), he may have responsibilities in recruiting new members, he's the point of contact for maintenance concerns, so many things.  So a good club profession must be a jack of all trades, he must be organized and able to delegate as appropriate.  He has to be able to interact with lots of different personality types.  And yes, he ideally should be a good instructor, with all of that entails.  The really good ones make it look easy, but its like watching a duck swim.  On top, its smooth and easy, but underneath he's paddling like crazy!

Yeah there’s really two types of club pros. The head pro does a lot more of the pro shop and “admin” stuff while the teaching pros do the majority of the teaching. My old pro was the head pro at wood ore before quitting to teach full time. I used to talk it’s the head pro at lake pres periodically back in 2014/15. He was pretty good with members and the greens fee clients 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For me, in addition to all the traits that he needs to successfully run his business, I believe that the club professional, be it at a muni, a private country club, or a resort club, must be a people person.  Making the golfer feel welcome and important goes a long way to starting that person's positive experience at the club.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

So I have worked at a few golf courses for the past 18 years now during the summers.  I have worked with some great pro's and some not so great pro's.  For me, I think it comes down to personality.  Lets face it, most pro's can play golf and most can teach it (not all, but most).  For me, I like to have a pro treat me/members and the guys off the street as equals.  I have worked with a few pro's that feel as if they are above the members and just John Q. Public.  I worked at a course for a number of years and never once played  a single round with the head pro.  He was too good for me.  He and I got a long and talked sports but he never asked to join me for a round.  He would only play with the scratch golfers at the club. 

The pro I work with now has a totally different mentality.  He plays with everyone!  He makes them all feel welcomed and he takes an interest in their lives.  It shows and we all feel welcomed.  Before I started working there, he gave me a lesson.  After the lesson he told me to hit as many balls as I wanted on the range and then told me to go play the course.  He didn't charge me even though I tried several times to pay for the round.  He simply said, "go play, I want to see you get better.  Work on what I showed you."  Shortly after that I got another lesson (good marketing tip to get me to come back lol) and he asked me if I wanted to work out there with him.  To this day, he will not charge me for lessons, lets my entire family play for free and frequently tells me how I am doing him a favor by working out there.  He genuinely wants to grow the game.  He never charges kids to play, while frequently giving them sets of clubs to use or gives them a quick lesson before they go out.  

In short, I guess a good pro, is someone that makes you feel welcomed.  Kinda like how Norm must have felt every time he walked into Cheers. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So I have worked at a few golf courses for the past 18 years now during the summers.  I have worked with some great pro's and some not so great pro's.  For me, I think it comes down to personality.  Lets face it, most pro's can play golf and most can teach it (not all, but most).  For me, I like to have a pro treat me/members and the guys off the street as equals.  I have worked with a few pro's that feel as if they are above the members and just John Q. Public.  I worked at a course for a number of years and never once played  a single round with the head pro.  He was too good for me.  He and I got a long and talked sports but he never asked to join me for a round.  He would only play with the scratch golfers at the club. 

The pro I work with now has a totally different mentality.  He plays with everyone!  He makes them all feel welcomed and he takes an interest in their lives.  It shows and we all feel welcomed.  Before I started working there, he gave me a lesson.  After the lesson he told me to hit as many balls as I wanted on the range and then told me to go play the course.  He didn't charge me even though I tried several times to pay for the round.  He simply said, "go play, I want to see you get better.  Work on what I showed you."  Shortly after that I got another lesson (good marketing tip to get me to come back lol) and he asked me if I wanted to work out there with him.  To this day, he will not charge me for lessons, lets my entire family play for free and frequently tells me how I am doing him a favor by working out there.  He genuinely wants to grow the game.  He never charges kids to play, while frequently giving them sets of clubs to use or gives them a quick lesson before they go out.  

In short, I guess a good pro, is someone that makes you feel welcomed.  Kinda like how Norm must have felt every time he walked into Cheers. 

Excellent information. Thank you.

N.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Exactly!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

21 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Which course are you a member at?  I'm usually down your way once or twice a year to play golf. 

Indigo Creek in Murrells Inlet--- If you do not hook up with me tell them I sent you--- And no it will not get you thrown out---- But I will tell you they do not know what a stranger is there they will treat you as good as anyone else. Our fellow spy John Smalls has been there with me

G

16 hours ago, CarlH said:

For me, in addition to all the traits that he needs to successfully run his business, I believe that the club professional, be it at a muni, a private country club, or a resort club, must be a people person.  Making the golfer feel welcome and important goes a long way to starting that person's positive experience at the club.

Well said my old man was a people person. He ran a 9 hole regulation and a 9 hole Par 3 course. I can tell you many examples of how he was successful. I can remember in the early days we had limited carts and sometimes folks had to wait for one to come in. He would tell those waiting to play the par 3 on him and when a cart came in we would come get them. He would send me down with the cart after I put their bags on and they rode up and I walked up. Our driving range was impractable because it was a 1/2 mile down the road and you had to get on the main road to access. When he sold beginner sets he threw in about 20 lake balls and a hand full of tees also gave away free range tickets. He also had a buy back thing where if one upgraded they got top dollar for the beginner set on trade in. Lots of times the beginner set would be resold or put over in the rental clubs. He believed in customer service--- But he would not take any crap. If someone misbehaved he would tell them of it and not to do it again--- 2nd time you were out of there period banned

G

I have seen a lot of great comments and if I missed this I apologize.

One of the things that I feel most Pros miss out on is getting out on the course to see what is actually going on. I know they can't do this all the time, but they could also require their Asst's to do this. In my opinion most people in the golf business want to sit/stand behind the counter and process golfers as they come in. Greeting the golfers is great, but greet them while they are playing and see what improvements can be made regarding pace of play, golfers abusing cart rules, etc. etc. You could even throw in a few pointers while out on the golf course. It might get you some business with providing future lessons.

Just my thoughts from the 3 clubs I have been a member at over the years.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

The club pro at my course has been with the course for since the 1976. He greets every person that walks in with a smile and upbeat attitude whether they are long time members or a public player he has never seen before. He organizes and plays in events and is out there setting the course up and organizing the event. 

I stopped in today to say hey and he was there on his day off dropping off his cart for his wife fir ladies club. He took the time to step outside to work with a guy on his chipping who approached  him for a tip. 

He is what every assistant that has stepped through those doors and who has worked for him strives to be.  

He loves his job and has a knack to relate to and work with all personalities. 

He is loved so much that the club made him a life long member whenever he decides to retire. 

One of the best tips ever given to me was from him. It may sound odd but I think of it every round. " Find a way to make par'".

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 1/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, BIG STU said:

Indigo Creek in Murrells Inlet--- If you do not hook up with me tell them I sent you--- And no it will not get you thrown out---- But I will tell you they do not know what a stranger is there they will treat you as good as anyone else. Our fellow spy John Smalls has been there with me

I have actually played there. 

IMG_1260.jpg.08b3c82077841d575549e6cfd6fff4f8.jpg

On 1/14/2021 at 12:34 PM, BIG STU said:

Well said my old man was a people person. He ran a 9 hole regulation and a 9 hole Par 3 course. I can tell you many examples of how he was successful. I can remember in the early days we had limited carts and sometimes folks had to wait for one to come in. He would tell those waiting to play the par 3 on him and when a cart came in we would come get them. He would send me down with the cart after I put their bags on and they rode up and I walked up. Our driving range was impractable because it was a 1/2 mile down the road and you had to get on the main road to access. When he sold beginner sets he threw in about 20 lake balls and a hand full of tees also gave away free range tickets. He also had a buy back thing where if one upgraded they got top dollar for the beginner set on trade in. Lots of times the beginner set would be resold or put over in the rental clubs. He believed in customer service--- But he would not take any crap. If someone misbehaved he would tell them of it and not to do it again--- 2nd time you were out of there period banned

question: what makes a good club professional?

answer: they’re @BIG STU’s dad 😂

your old man sounds like a great guy, Stu. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

39 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Man that is an old picture of hole #14--- It just says 14 on the bank now. LOL used to clear that trap on the left from the back tees with a persimmon driver. I had to stay left then because I could hit in the water straight away on the right.  That was 21 years ago. Now days ( before my accident) I can hit it down half way beside the trap with a metal driver from the senior tees. These days I play it more right because I can not hit the water straight away to the right. But the left side is the shortest route.  3 shot hole for me these days.

G

23 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

question: what makes a good club professional?

answer: they’re @BIG STU’s dad 😂

your old man sounds like a great guy, Stu. 

He was but like everyone else he had some paticular ways especially on how to play the game. On golf his philosophy was "his way or no way"

G

20 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Man that is an old picture of hole #14--- It just says 14 on the bank now. LOL used to clear that trap on the left from the back tees with a persimmon driver. I had to stay left then because I could hit in the water straight away on the right.  That was 21 years ago. Now days ( before my accident) I can hit it down half way beside the trap with a metal driver from the senior tees. These days I play it more right because I can not hit the water straight away to the right. But the left side is the shortest route.  3 shot hole for me these days.

I think that scorecard is from 2000.   I have the yardage book as well.  It's 270 to clear the bunker from the back tees. Thats a poke with persimmon woods.

My wife got me a leather photo type album designed for golfers. Cover is embossed with a golfer and a heading "Golf Memories of Tom"  I keep photos, scorecards, and yardage books. 

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The course looks familiar, but I can't remember if I've played it or not, or if it was called by another name back then.  In the early 90s, I played a LOT of golf from Charleston to Myrtle Bch.  A bunch of us had the American Cancer cards that allowed you to play every public course in the state (and some semi and private courses) twice for the cost of 1/2 golf cart fee and no greens fees.  Every Thursday, about 20 of us would play 1 or 2 courses.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

One that does not ask what your problem is but watches you swing and then outlines a solution to what he has identified.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

9 hours ago, CarlH said:

The course looks familiar, but I can't remember if I've played it or not, or if it was called by another name back then.  In the early 90s, I played a LOT of golf from Charleston to Myrtle Bch.  A bunch of us had the American Cancer cards that allowed you to play every public course in the state (and some semi and private courses) twice for the cost of 1/2 golf cart fee and no greens fees.  Every Thursday, about 20 of us would play 1 or 2 courses.

As far as I know it has always been Indigo Creek----  Notice when Tom posted it was Indigo Creek Golf Club-------- When they started building houses around it it became Indigo Creek Golf Plantation----- A couple of years ago for political reasons the Plantation part was dropped. It is just plain ole Indigo Creek Community now. Actually there have been some changes course wise since 2000--- They have taken out some bunkers for maintenance reasons and to make the course more playable for the average Joe

G

• 2 weeks later...

The most important trait of a great Club Pro is that YOUR game and club experience is the most important thing to him. If he can play, all the better, but not that important. 

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T