TESTERS WANTED! ×

Realistic Expectations

LAst year my goal was to get back into the game and get refitted and play with proper clubs. This year my goal is to improve and will be starting lessons next week. What would be reasonable expectations over the next 4 months with a lesson once a week or every other week to improve my game. I started in the 110's now I am constantly in the mid 90's after a year with no lessons. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by CoachTut

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

3 hours ago, CoachTut said:

LAst year my goal was to get back into the game and get refitted and play with proper clubs. This year my goal is to improve and will be starting lessons next week. What would be reasonable expectations over the next 4 months with a lesson once a week or every other week to improve my game. I started in the 110's no constantly in the mid 90's after a year with no lessons. 

Thoughts? 

Hard to say.   People progress differently,  have different athletic ability, or burn out.  If you progress well,  you could be single digit.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So many variables! 

Will your instructor try to redo your current swing? Is your hand eye coordination good? Do you pick up on instruction easy. Are you willing to work at it and stick with it?  Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward. You will find that out during your lessons. IMO, if you put in the work you could probably cut your current handicap in half. After that point it takes a lot of practice and play time to move small amounts. 

I got to a point a few years ago and asked my clubs pro what I needed to do to get under the 5 handicap I was stuck at. He watched me hit some balls, asked me to hit some specific shots. After that I asked him what he thought I needed to do. Simple he said, "All you have to do is play more"  once a week won't cut it.  I then asked him to tell my wife that. He did... My wife also works at the Country Club. That helps! 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I got to a point a few years ago and asked my clubs pro what I needed to do to get under the 5 handicap I was stuck at. He watched me hit some balls, asked me to hit some specific shots. After that I asked him what he thought I needed to do. Simple he said, "All you have to do is play more"  once a week won't cut it.  I then asked him to tell my wife that. He did... My wife also works at the Country Club. That helps! 

Can he have a conversation with my wife too??? 🤣

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

It sounds like you have a great plan! Without knowing your game, my two cents would be ....

• Getting from the mid-90's to the mid-80's is generally about eliminating "big" numbers from your scorecard. If you are able to consistently advance the ball productively towards the hole a reasonable distance, you can shoot 85. Keep the ball in play, and figure out how to eliminate the triples, etc. (eventually that becomes "eliminate the doubles" as you get better)
  • Lessons will help you build a consistent, repeatable swing, but it takes consistent practice as well, to develop the muscle memory. If you can't commit to practicing a couple of times a week, and playing 1-2 times a week, the road is much more difficult.
  • Develop a reliable, simple short game, so that any time you're near the green and not in major trouble (bunker, deep rough, etc.), you ALWAYS get down in no more than three strokes. As you do that, you'll find you turn "3 into 2" a lot more often.

Good luck! Enjoy the journey!

If you can put a decent strike on the ball and keep it in play, then practicing the short game and putting ALOT will easily get you to the mid-80's.  I say this because that's my game right now.  A really good day around the green and I'm in the 70's.

Of course, getting better off the tee and approach shots means you can go lower.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard!  (Corny I know, but I like it.)

Varying skill levels will determine how quickly you can improve, but at the end of the day it boils down to your willingness and diligence to put in the reps, based on the prescription your instructor gives you.  If you can work out (and stick to) an aggressive practice routine, for the drills you are instructed to do and especially for your short game, the sky is the limit!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

12 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

• Lessons will help you build a consistent, repeatable swing, but it takes consistent practice as well, to develop the muscle memory. If you can't commit to practicing a couple of times a week, and playing 1-2 times a week, the road is much more difficult..

/\ This. Lessons are good (provided you have a good instructor) but the practice between the lessons are even more important. Keep in mind that not only does the practice embed the lesson but it also creates confidence on the course.  My wife took weekly private lessons when she first started out but didn't practice in between then wondered why her game didn't get any better.  She still hates to go to the driving range but sees the value in it. 

Another thought is have your instructor evaluate your game playing 9 holes with the instructor. He/She may find some other "things" that could help and may even refocus future lessons. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

/\ This. Lessons are good (provided you have a good instructor) but the practice between the lessons are even more important. Keep in mind that not only does the practice embed the lesson but it also creates confidence on the course.  My wife took weekly private lessons when she first started out but didn't practice in between then wondered why her game didn't get any better.  She still hates to go to the driving range but sees the value in it. 

Another thought is have your instructor evaluate your game playing 9 holes with the instructor. He/She may find some other "things" that could help and may even refocus future lessons. 

Absolutely!!  If a person really wants to improve quickly, I recommend that they forego playing golf completely for a period while taking regular lessons and practicing the drills between lessons exclusively.  It's the fastest way to better golf.  I know we all want to play, but each time we play we revert back to our old bad habits because the new good habits have not been engrained yet.  

Playing a few holes with the instructor is a very good way for the instructor to evaluate your swing and course management in actual non-range conditions.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There isn't much point taking lessons every week unless you are practicing 3-4 times in addition to the lesson. A lesson on Monday, range on Wednesday, and play on the weekend isn't enough reps to work on the takeaways from a lesson. From a financial and skill development perspective, one lesson biweekly is as often as I would go. If the instructor is giving you 2-3 things to work on each time, monthly could be a better option unless you have the cash to spend on 10-20 lessons during the season. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Lessons are good (provided you have a good instructor) but the practice between the lessons are even more important

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I hit the indoor range 2-4 days a week and try and play every other week due to work schedule. I am a coach by trade but for a completely different sport. So I have no problem grinding it out everyday to get better. Its kinda a flaw of mine to fixate on something until I improve. I don't like being bad, and im to competitive when I go play.  I look forward to the growth and hope to share the journey along the way! 

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

I think you are on the right track with the practice between lessons.  One thing I think is you have to identify the portion of your game that cost you the most on the course.  Take what your lessons have you work on but incorporate that in to your area that needs improvement.  Balance out your practice time.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter