TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pulling a Driver Shaft

How can you tell if too much heat has been applied to a graphite shaft when pulling the tip adaptor? I have been testing a few shafts during COVID lockdowns so I have purchased a shaft puller. I have pulled a few adaptors pretty easy using a touch and then one in particular took a little while longer so not sure how long it would take the heat to damage the shaft. 

Any thoughts?

Cheers

The key is to keep pressure on the adapter so it pulls off at the right time rather than overheating it and potentially damaging both the shaft and adapter 

Also different epoxies may have different melting points so there may not be an exact amount of time it takes for the epoxy to release 

Hi, thanks for that. I kept pressure on the adaptor throughout and it did release. I guess I was concerned as it took longer than the others I had done before. Do you know what happens to a shaft of too much heat is applied? 

thanks for your time. 

2 hours ago, Newbs14 said:

Hi, thanks for that. I kept pressure on the adaptor throughout and it did release. I guess I was concerned as it took longer than the others I had done before. Do you know what happens to a shaft of too much heat is applied? 

thanks for your time. 

A graphite shaft can splinter and the tip would fail due to the material losing its structural integrity 

The times could be different depending on the type of epoxy used and the thickness of the hosels. But it would be hard for the untrained eye to tell when too much is too much. Post some pics of the tip here and I am sure those of us who have destroyed a few over the years would be glad to voice our opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

pulling from and adapter is very different than a bonded club. The technique is the same the amount or time needed can be very different. 

I have found about 30 sec is the average time for the application of heat before the epoxy will release in an adapter as most  are made from aluminum and transfer heat rapidly. bonded heads have thicker hosels (obviously) and the addition of the head that can act and a heat sink. This time is double if not more than the hosel removal requirement.

The simple give away on the shaft is the rigidity of the tip went pulled and after it cools. Again if the tip is solid you should be good, if its mushy then things get problematic.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.