TESTERS WANTED! ×

New irons, need advice

danc000000

hello all. i'm currently playing some knockoff taylormade burner oversize irons. they're probably, at least, 15 years old (hopefully the pictures uploaded). they're still in decent condition but i think they're overdue for an update.

i've tried hitting some new clubs. i tested out the wilson d300, tour edge c521, tommy armour 845, and the callaway rogue irons. hopefully the data for the d300s and c521s uploaded. as you can see i suck at golf.

i liked hitting the wilsons best but the c521s gave me the best results. the issue i had with all these clubs though is that the lofts were all fairly strong. the loft on the 7 iron taylormade knock off is 33 degrees while the wilson 7 iron is 29. so i guess my question is: are there any clubs out there that offer a more traditional loft that also aren't $1000+?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

If you know the specs you are looking for you can go with a direct to consumer brand who could build clubs at a lesser price for you. Companies such as Maltby and Sub70. You would be able to adjust Loft length and lie to make the setup as traditional as you would like. 

17 minutes ago, danc000000 said:

hello all. i'm currently playing some knockoff taylormade burner oversize irons. they're probably, at least, 15 years old (hopefully the pictures uploaded). they're still in decent condition but i think they're overdue for an update.

i've tried hitting some new clubs. i tested out the wilson d300, tour edge c521, tommy armour 845, and the callaway rogue irons. hopefully the data for the d300s and c521s uploaded. as you can see i suck at golf.

i liked hitting the wilsons best but the c521s gave me the best results. the issue i had with all these clubs though is that the lofts were all fairly strong. the loft on the 7 iron taylormade knock off is 33 degrees while the wilson 7 iron is 29. so i guess my question is: are there any clubs out there that offer a more traditional loft that also aren't $1000+?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

It's hard to interpret through your post, but you are basing your opinion on just a couple of swings on a launch monitor, one with each club?

There are lots of clubs that cost less than $1k per set.  The problem right now is supply.  I tried ordering a few PING irons and their current wait time for delivery is 3-4 months.  Screw that.  I'll be old and dead before getting those clubs.  Speaking of PING, if you get fit for their irons, you can order one club at a time to soften the economic blow.  And at $125 per club you can pick and choose what and when you want to get.

I'd suggest taking a look at Ben Hogan golf, but again, that's another brand that is out of stock on a lot of equipment right now.  But you can get a whole set from them for much less than $1k.

Here's a wild idea for you.  I've got an old set of PING Eye irons that are standard loft and lie, and in decent shape, from the 80's, and still hit really well.  I just had them regripped.  Name your price and I'll send them to you.  They will certainly cost you a lot less than $1k.

Alternative #2.  I've got a set of Callaway Razr-X Forged irons - 6 through gap wedge that are in great shape and will cost you a lot less than $1k.  Same deal - name your price and I'll send them to you.

Edited by Mr. 82
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

7 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

It's hard to interpret through your post, but you are basing your opinion on just a couple of swings on a launch monitor, one with each club?

There are lots of clubs that cost less than $1k per set.  The problem right now is supply.  I tried ordering a few PING irons and their current wait time for delivery is 3-4 months.  Screw that.  I'll be old and dead before getting those clubs.  Speaking of PING, if you get fit for their irons, you can order one club at a time to soften the economic blow.  And at $125 per club you can pick and choose what and when you want to get.

I'd suggest taking a look at Ben Hogan golf, but again, that's another brand that is out of stock on a lot of equipment right now.  But you can get a whole set from them for much less than $1k.

Here's a wild idea for you.  I've got an old set of PING Eye irons that are standard loft and lie, and in decent shape, from the 80's, and still hit really well.  I just had them regripped.  Name your price and I'll send them to you.  They will certainly cost you a lot less than $1k.

Alternative #2.  I've got a set of Callaway Razr-X Forged irons - 6 through gap wedge that are in great shape and will cost you a lot less than $1k.  Same deal - name your price and I'll send them to you.

I probably took about 30 to 40 swings with a 7 iron of each set. That's all Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore would let me demo. I'll check out Ben Hogan. Back when I was teenager/in my twenties I played a bit more. I've just gotten back into playing because of the pandemic the only thing you can do "safely" is basically go outside and play golf. I got my clubs when I was like 17 or so and now I'm 37 and a lot has changed since then so all of this is fairly new to me.

Thanks for your offer to sell those clubs. I appreciate it but I'm going to politely decline. I'll check out ebay and see if they've got those too. Thanks!

7 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

If you know the specs you are looking for you can go with a direct to consumer brand who could build clubs at a lesser price for you. Companies such as Maltby and Sub70. You would be able to adjust Loft length and lie to make the setup as traditional as you would like. 

Thanks! I'll definitely check out the direct to consumer stuff. I honestly didn't know brands like that existed. The length adjustment would be really helpful too as I'm only 5' 4" so I usually need a half inch taken off the shaft.

Would you recommend one over the other or is it all personal preference?

While you were shorter with the Wilsons, the data suggests your dispersion is much better - along with apex height and launch angle which will help you stop the ball on the green (especially at 2900 RPM which is quite low for a 7-iron).

Is there a specific reason why you wish to have weaker lofted irons? Based on what you've shared, it would seem you fit quite well into the GI/stronger lofted options available on the market. Adding loft is just going to take distance out of your bag when it seems you could really use more of it.

Honestly if you are just getting back into the game and in desperate need of "new" clubs, I'd go the eBay route. Save as much money as you can because you're either going to get better, stay exactly the same, or lose interest. In two of the three scenarios mentioned, your needs are going to change and you might kick yourself for spending more than you had to upfront.

Just some food for thought, good luck!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

7 hours ago, danc000000 said:

I probably took about 30 to 40 swings with a 7 iron of each set. That's all Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore would let me demo. I'll check out Ben Hogan. Back when I was teenager/in my twenties I played a bit more. I've just gotten back into playing because of the pandemic the only thing you can do "safely" is basically go outside and play golf. I got my clubs when I was like 17 or so and now I'm 37 and a lot has changed since then so all of this is fairly new to me.

Thanks for your offer to sell those clubs. I appreciate it but I'm going to politely decline. I'll check out ebay and see if they've got those too. Thanks!

Thanks! I'll definitely check out the direct to consumer stuff. I honestly didn't know brands like that existed. The length adjustment would be really helpful too as I'm only 5' 4" so I usually need a half inch taken off the shaft.

Would you recommend one over the other or is it all personal preference?

A proper fitting would be necessary. We are the same size. Their isn’t anything that says you have to play 1/2”short. But you also may need to adjust lie angle changing the length. I myself am only 5’5” play standard length and 2 deg upright. I really don’t have a favorite. I think sub 70 offfers more of the cosmetics to their clubs but at the end of the day they are lower cost options with essentially build your own customizations 

Titleist ProV1

15 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

While you were shorter with the Wilsons, the data suggests your dispersion is much better - along with apex height and launch angle which will help you stop the ball on the green (especially at 2900 RPM which is quite low for a 7-iron).

Is there a specific reason why you wish to have weaker lofted irons? Based on what you've shared, it would seem you fit quite well into the GI/stronger lofted options available on the market. Adding loft is just going to take distance out of your bag when it seems you could really use more of it.

Honestly if you are just getting back into the game and in desperate need of "new" clubs, I'd go the eBay route. Save as much money as you can because you're either going to get better, stay exactly the same, or lose interest. In two of the three scenarios mentioned, your needs are going to change and you might kick yourself for spending more than you had to upfront.

Just some food for thought, good luck!

I'm just able to hit the weaker lofted irons. I haven't used tracking data on my 7 iron but I'm pretty sure I hit it only a few years shorter than the game improvement ones. They also said that I was launching the ball fairly high considering the loft of the clubs. I don't know if that's true or not. Again all of this data stuff is new to me. Back when I bought my set of clubs it was some old school dude in Myrtle Beach who went off of what his eyes and ears were telling him.

I've been looking around e-bay and hopefully I'll have some luck. Any particular clubs you would suggest?

7 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

A proper fitting would be necessary. We are the same size. Their isn’t anything that says you have to play 1/2”short. But you also may need to adjust lie angle changing the length. I myself am only 5’5” play standard length and 2 deg upright. I really don’t have a favorite. I think sub 70 offfers more of the cosmetics to their clubs but at the end of the day they are lower cost options with essentially build your own customizations 

The guy at the PGS Superstore told me that based on my height I was good for standard length clubs but based on his measuring device I was just barely into the Standard measurement.

The Sub 70s do look very good. I checked out the Maltby as well and their prices are definitely good too. They have a ton of shaft and grip options, it's almost overwhelming.

Check out Sub 70. They have irons for all different types of players. The customer service is great. They will find the best fit for you. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

3 hours ago, danc000000 said:

I'm just able to hit the weaker lofted irons. I haven't used tracking data on my 7 iron but I'm pretty sure I hit it only a few years shorter than the game improvement ones. They also said that I was launching the ball fairly high considering the loft of the clubs. I don't know if that's true or not. Again all of this data stuff is new to me. Back when I bought my set of clubs it was some old school dude in Myrtle Beach who went off of what his eyes and ears were telling him.

I've been looking around e-bay and hopefully I'll have some luck. Any particular clubs you would suggest?

The guy at the PGS Superstore told me that based on my height I was good for standard length clubs but based on his measuring device I was just barely into the Standard measurement.

The Sub 70s do look very good. I checked out the Maltby as well and their prices are definitely good too. They have a ton of shaft and grip options, it's almost overwhelming.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either. Is it the main stream OEM, no but paying half the price is well worth it. Too much fluff built in to the costs. Also check out PXGs cast model lineup. Great prices plus I do not believe they charge you to get fitted. I would look into that as it is getting more and more traction

Titleist ProV1

As several have recommended, Sub-70 is good for a brand new custom option.

As for used, I'd look at Taylormade, Callaway, and Ping clubs from the last 5-10 years depending on how much you want to spend. One of the few sets I like to recommend (due to personal experience and knowledge) is the Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons. IMO, one of the best GI iron sets released in the last decade. Ping G Series is always a good option as well. 

I'd be curious to know if they showed you (and if you remember) what your angle of attack is. That might help explain some of what is shown in the picture on your original post.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Lofts are all relative to the club and maker. The trap I used to fall into was the " I always hit a 8 iron 140 yards" not understanding that lofts varied by manufacturer and within models and we're also affect by shaft profiles.

In regards to the above comment:. When I went golfing with my brother, he would tee off on a 142 yard par 3 and be pin high. I'd ask what club he hit and use the same club, but was always short of green or short front edge. It wasn't until years later I realized his 8 was 38 degree loft and mine was 41.

Interestingly, if manufacturers just put lofts on their clubs, consumers would better understand that the shafts for their clubs have a far greater effect on distance, spin and dispersion than the club heads.

Of course the above comments assume that the golfer has a consistently repeatable swing. Meaning of you both hook/slice and hit fat/thin randomly then your first focus should be lessons.

That's not directed at you, but golfers in general. Lessons first, then get fit when you have a consistent swing. I wasted a lot of money chasing club tech when lessons is what helped the most.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

I would also recommend the Sub-70 brand. I have played most of the major brands over the years and have switched over to Sub-70 from Wilson D200's. I have been playing my best with them. I actually just ordered another club from them last week and should be delivered tomorrow.  By going with a direct to consumer brand you can build the set to fit your budget.  Then if you really do get back into golf you can always add more clubs. Name brands typically want to sell you a full set when it comes to irons.

I wouldn't suggest you adjust the lofts to what you used to play. Clubs today are designed to launch higher with all the technology changes over the last 15 to 20 years. Based on your data you will want the added distance. As you get your swing back the distance will increase. 

Good luck with your search and decision.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Sub 70’s are the bomb but if you like Wilson D’s why not the D7 which you should be able to snag for under $500?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would also recommend the Sub-70 brand. I have played most of the major brands over the years and have switched over to Sub-70 from Wilson D200's. I have been playing my best with them. I actually just ordered another club from them last week and should be delivered tomorrow.  By going with a direct to consumer brand you can build the set to fit your budget.  Then if you really do get back into golf you can always add more clubs. Name brands typically want to sell you a full set when it comes to irons.

I wouldn't suggest you adjust the lofts to what you used to play. Clubs today are designed to launch higher with all the technology changes over the last 15 to 20 years. Based on your data you will want the added distance. As you get your swing back the distance will increase. 

Good luck with your search and decision.

Yeah, I've noticed that all the lofts are quite a bit higher than my old clubs. I'm guessing that's because mine are 15 to 20 years old. Basically it seems like the loft on my 5 iron is the loft of a new 7 iron. At that point why are they even putting numbers on the clubs? Just list the lofts.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, revkev said:

Sub 70’s are the bomb but if you like Wilson D’s why not the D7 which you should be able to snag for under $500?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I would have given the D7s a hit but both places were sold out.

14 hours ago, danc000000 said:

I would have given the D7s a hit but both places were sold out.

That should tell you something right there. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, liermann.mark said:

Interestingly, if manufacturers just put lofts on their clubs, consumers would better understand that the shafts for their clubs have a far greater effect on distance, spin and dispersion than the club heads.

Ben Hogan golf did that and guess what customers didn’t like it want it and now they use numbers.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, revkev said:

That should tell you something right there. 🙂

The PGA Superstore in East Hanover, NJ was pretty ransacked in terms of clubs. They had probably half or less of the clubs on display actually there. They only had the Wilson D300 in graphite as the steel was all gone.

Any suggestions between these three Maltby clubs: STi2, TE Forged, and KE4 Tour+ or would I be better with the Sub 70 since I can demo it?

I have a friend who loves his Sub 70's - we've also tested them here - I believe it was the Player's Distance ones that we tested - I have nothing against Maltby but the ability to demo is a big deal - if you try them out and like them, great, if not, what have you really lost?

I would start there - 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I agree that Maltby really doesn't cater much to the demo scene. I think their target audience is more the knowledgeable golfer and/or hobby builder, which is a shame.

Don't quote me but I think you can have a single club built and if you like it enough, they'll pro-rate the difference from a club pack or custom set. I know they have done that in the past.

I play the TS-1 irons and love everything about them! Previously I played the DBM's and until I got the TS-1's, I loved everything about them! I've hit and compared just about every OEM on the floor in similar categories and the quality for the value is unmatched IMO. I wouldn't rule out the TS-2s as a very good option either. The other recommendations made are all solid.

My Dad is probably about a 20+ and plays the DBMs with no issues at all. He bought a set after using mine for a round after I got my TS-1's.

Whatever you decide on, good luck in your journey and hopefully you find the right set to comfortably get you back into the game

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 1 month later...