Anyone upgrading their FWs this year?

Our Sponsors

I’m good for Fairways. I just upgraded my driver from Cobra F8 to Speedzone Extreme. My fairways are Cobra F8 3-4W, 5-6W & 3 hybrid. The 3-4 is set to 16* and the 5-6 set at 20*. All woods have MCA tense ck or av blue shafts, the 3H has a Recoil 460.

Today I chunked my 2nd shot on a Par 5 with water at 100 yards to 40 yards. I had 177 yards for my forced carry to the middle of the green. I took out the 5W and nailed the green. I use the 3W off the tee on one hole, the 5W on a Ian’s the 3H on two others at my home course.

I am very satisfied with their performance....at this writing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just picked up a Tour Edge CBX 119 3 wood on Ebay. Always like the Tour Edge fairway woods  

Picked up a new Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood from Adams Golf for the upcoming golf season. Use to play the original Tight Lies back in 1995 so if they perform anywhere near the originals I'm gonna  need

I’m good for Fairways. I just upgraded my driver from Cobra F8 to Speedzone Extreme. My fairways are Cobra F8 3-4W, 5-6W & 3 hybrid. The 3-4 is set to 16* and the 5-6 set at 20*. All woods have

Posted Images

I'm set with a 2007 Burner 5 & 7 wood and a Callaway 04 Big Bertha 9 wood which I rotate depending on course and wind.  They go the distance I expect so I don't see much advantage in changing.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting a new FW or hybrid, not sure which. I've got a TaylorMade JetSpeed 3 wood that I've struggled to hit until some lessons recently. It's still not consistent yet though. I'm more to blame than the club, but it's a stock stiff shaft and I probably need an x-flex shaft with my swing speed. I end up teeing off with 3 iron on a lot of shorter or narrow holes since I'd rather 2 long irons in than maybe spraying a ball OB. I want something that sits between driver and 3 iron that I can use on long par 5s or to tee off when driver doesn't make sense. I'm doing a fitting this spring so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

I'm going to go get fit to see what the data says. I've had a Callaway X2 Hot in my bag for a few years now so my guess is the distance will be better but I need a bit easier off the deck. Leaning toward some Ping 400 iteration though I'm interested in the rails on the Cobra and love the look of the SIM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I may go super hybrid to replace my 3w

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 63. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

I recently added 2 fairway woods to my bag.  Never played them before this past fall.  I absolutely love my mavrik 5w with the rogue white 130msi 70S shaft. 

I can shape it. And it is a rocket. If I really attack ball with steep swing I can launch a 200 yard  sky bomb. With a more even swing plane I get a beautiful trajectory with 220-230 yards with nice fade or slight draw.  But what I really love about this club, if I put ball  little bag in stance, aim a little right and close my grip, I can hit a crushing line drive draw that is a total rocket.  I hit one today on a dog leg left, about 180 to a fairly tight left turn and downhill.  

I hit a screamer down left side about 20' high 10' or so from tree guarding corner of turn. This shot started turning in almost perfect spot.  It just flew down left side of fairway.  I was shocked and pleased when I rolled up on an 80yd wedge to green.  Fairways where hard because of cold, but I think it rolled out to like 270 or 280.  Now I am not saying this is a 270yard club, more like 220-230, but point is this club head and shaft is very workable.  Its feels really small  but so easy to swing and make strong contact. 

I also have the mavrik strong 3+.  It has the hzrdus evnflo 60 S shaft.  I hit this ok, but no where near as consistent as 5w.   Maybe its the shaft , idk.  

I was thinking today,  for me, for scoring, I might be better off leaving driver in truck and picking up a callaway 7w or the heavenwood.   ( I think its a 9 or 11w)

Before I drop 3+wood I think I will try a new shaft. 

Not unhappy with mavrik max driver either, but I cannot work that as well.  I can get real long bombsout to 270 with a fade,  but I am not confident in my ability to put it where I want it like I can with irons or 5w. I carry 13 clubs now, 5-9, pw, gp, sw and lw,  mavrik max driver, mavrik 3+, mavrik 5w and putter. 

I can add another club and remain legal or drop driver and add 2. 

I do have a gap between 5w 220, and 5i like 190, I was thinking 4i, but 7w might be better.  I could sell driver and get 7w with some change. 

Probable silly, but I have always felt a reluctance to play l a hybrid.   To be honest I actually hate the look of a hybrid at address.  Seams like a gimmick to me.... sorry for so many words. 

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

Picked up a new Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood from Adams Golf for the upcoming golf season. Use to play the original Tight Lies back in 1995 so if they perform anywhere near the originals I'm gonna  need a bigger trophy shelf.

Golf clubs, Taylormade Sim Max Driver, Adams Tight Lies 3&5 woods,a.jpg

Golf clubs, Taylormade Sim Max Driver, Adams Tight Lies 3&5 woods,b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Taylormade SIM MAX 12* driver

Adams Golf Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawkeye 7 wood

Top Flite Tiatanium Intimidator 7 wood

Ping G400 6-Pw, UW irons

Taylormade Milled Steel SW

Cleveland RTX-3 LW

Odyssey White Hot XG 2-ball CS putter

I just picked up a new G410 LST: I’ve never gotten along with a 3 wood this well! I loft it up for some of the courses I play with long par 5’s, and loft it down for courses where I use it off the tee.

• Like 2

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Maybe.  If they secured the correct adapter for my PING G400, I hope to see if the Diamana Thump 65 shaft we tested last month with the TSi2 3w also improves the G400.  I really like my G400 3w & 5w, and have confidence with them.  I'm thinking the gain we saw, ~5 yards, was the shaft (from stock Alta CB 65).  I'm heading back to Scottsdale tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 1/16/2021 at 1:11 PM, revkev said:

I'm still content with my G400 Fairways and I drive folks crazy with the little ones, 9w and 7w when they come out of the bag - in fact I was 4/4 hitting greens with 9 wood last weekend.

Fear the old guys with bags full of head covers 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I just ordered a Ping G425 LST 14.5* with the Tour 75 X Flex. The consistent spin is what sold it for me. I wasn't able to hit the Tour 75 but the other shafts (Tour 65, Aldila Rogue 130, Tensei Orange and CB factory) didn't do it for me. If that shaft doesn't work then it will be on to plan B.

Super cool thing about ordering new clubs in the covid era...4 week shipping delay.

• Like 2
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

Debating it. The TS3 hasn’t been really good for me, but I’m not going to get anything without a fitting first. The Ping and Tour Edge fairways have my eye! If a Tour Edge performs for me, I’d buy it in a heartbeat to save some dough! Gonna have to go heavier, 211g-215g, and only 43” this time.

I’m tempted just trim a 1/2” and hot melt the TS3, but it we’ll see. Long way before demo days start...

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

TXG just compared the Srixon ZX vs Cobra RadSpeed vs Cobra Mizuno STZ 3 woods. Matt loved the Mizuno and thought it was the best 3W he's hit so far. I'm definitely interested to try it out when I get fit. It's strange how the Mizuno Driver is such a bargain and the Woods aren't as cheap comparatively speaking.

• Like 1

Another big weekend for Ping 7 woods BTW - they aren't just for us old guys anymore! 🙂

And I appreciate the lag time in orders as well - it reminds me of the good old days - I had to wait 11 business days for my Edison's to be built - fine with me - means that they were built for me.  Similar experience with the Wilson D7 forged test, perhaps a bit longer there - long forgotten now and those things fit me like a glove - I may go custom like that for the rest of my golfing life - it's like ordering at Burger King - always get something added or subtracted from the standard and you know it will be fresh off the grill. 🙂

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

On 1/20/2021 at 11:42 PM, 57charlie said:

Picked up a new Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood from Adams Golf for the upcoming golf season. Use to play the original Tight Lies back in 1995 so if they perform anywhere near the originals I'm gonna  need a bigger trophy shelf.

Golf clubs, Taylormade Sim Max Driver, Adams Tight Lies 3&5 woods,a.jpg

Golf clubs, Taylormade Sim Max Driver, Adams Tight Lies 3&5 woods,b.jpg

I'm anxious to hear about the Tight Lies 3 wood when you start playing with it this Spring.  Would you mind doing an unofficial review on those?  Be sure to tell us a bit about your game there - your age, driver swing speed, typical launch characteristics.

Thanks - I'm thinking that I will add 3 wood to my arsenal at some point this summer - I've gained some swing speed and my knew wedge gapping will leave room for an additional club at the top of the bag.  I can hit my current 3 wood well off the tee but it's next to worthless off the turf.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Been a while since I had a FW in the bag. Just picked up a Cobra F6 Baffler 4/5 wood, that will get a fair shot. Otherwise I might look at the 425 5 wood and maybe the Mizuno after the TXG review. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

Finished the 2020 season with the Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3 and 5 woods. 

Very satisfied, I do not upgrade fairways often, and for good reason. It is a tough pair of clubs to search for. Been a fan of Tour Edge Exotics clubs for sometime now.

And these check all the boxes. GOOD LUCK in your search.

• Like 3

Just put a tsi3 16.5 3 wood and a tsi2 7 wood in the bag. So far big fan.

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

TXG just did a good comparison between the Ping and Mizuno FW woods. What I took away: Ping MAX sits a hair closed to help fight the blocks/fades and Mizuno sits a bit open to help fight the draws. All about personal preference. 

• :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

In my opinion once you find a good fairway wood that works for you, don't mess with it unless you're certain you're getting a measurable upgrade.  I picked up a Tour Edge CBX 119 3W with an Evenflow Blue last year and it does very well for me...I'm not willing to take a chance of pissing it off by flirting with other FWs.

• Haha 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver