TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Chrome Soft vs ProV1x

GolfSpy BOS

Saw this on Instagram today. While Tony noted a increase in quality in the Chrome Soft X compared to past issues, I don’t recall it ending up testing better than the Pro V1x either. And it looks like this is referencing the Chrome Soft, which did better than before, but still not perfect. 

836526ED-CEDD-4CCE-9C42-A6625E1C42E9.jpeg.53bd30bb4a09229d82dc57aa7899a7d0.jpeg

Either way I found this chart interesting more because we can’t really tell the scale of anything, which means it’s basically useless anyway.

I have no doubt that Callaway’s investment is working. But as an analyst in my day job I find this chart to be filed under likely misleading and purely for advertising vs having any real testing merit. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

It reminded me of another chart with these two companies, the famed Tour Soft commerical charts when Titleist was launching those where Chrome Soft had zero feel while Tour Soft had more than 10 feel. Truly stunning results.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

It reminded me of another chart with these two companies, the famed Tour Soft commerical charts when Titleist was launching those where Chrome Soft had zero feel while Tour Soft had more than 10 feel. Truly stunning results.

hahaha sounds VERY scientific!

I guess as an analyst these charts bug me more than they should. Occupational hazard!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

hahaha sounds VERY scientific!

I guess as an analyst these charts bug me more than they should. Occupational hazard! emoji1787.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, that ad is here, I couldn't freeze the frame and enhance the picture enough for a screen shot. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Yeah, that ad is
, I couldn't freeze the frame and enhance the picture enough for a screen shot. 
I remember when that ad came out - it always bothered me. I think I got a decent enough screenshot? The 0 is not at the base of the graph... It's right around where the white bar hits. Screenshot_20210115-231856.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

7 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

I remember when that ad came out - it always bothered me. I think I got a decent enough screenshot? The 0 is not at the base of the graph... It's right around where the white bar hits. Screenshot_20210115-231856.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I’m kind of shocked they let anything out with a distance rating of “3” as a positive lol

The Titleist Tour Soft has become my "winter ball"... in Yellow for the gray, cloudy days.  I wouldn't say I "blow it by my foursome soft".  😂  However, I do like the feel.  I haven't tried the new Chrome Soft, but I didn't care for the older version.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 1/15/2021 at 6:19 AM, B.Boston said:

Saw this on Instagram today. While Tony noted a increase in quality in the Chrome Soft X compared to past issues, I don’t recall it ending up testing better than the Pro V1x either. And it looks like this is referencing the Chrome Soft, which did better than before, but still not perfect. 

836526ED-CEDD-4CCE-9C42-A6625E1C42E9.jpeg.53bd30bb4a09229d82dc57aa7899a7d0.jpeg

Either way I found this chart interesting more because we can’t really tell the scale of anything, which means it’s basically useless anyway.

I have no doubt that Callaway’s investment is working. But as an analyst in my day job I find this chart to be filed under likely misleading and purely for advertising vs having any real testing merit. 

It all depends on which side of the scale you read. 🙂

Classic Covers: Can You Tell a Rockwell? | The Saturday Evening Post

If the US ever enacts "truth in advertising law" similar to Japan, a whole bunch of companies marketing and graphic artists are going to scrambling.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I’m kind of shocked they let anything out with a distance rating of “3” as a positive lol

And Chrome Soft has a negative distance rating 😂

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

Odd to see a 75 compression ball compared to one charges +100. Totally different feels and performance.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star