TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Irons...

Best Irons?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Best game improving irons for 15 handicapper?

• Calloway Maverick
    • Calloway Maverick Max
    • Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal
    • Cobra Speedzone

32 minutes ago, Muchael said:

In the market for new irons.  15 handicap.  Tried Calloway Maverick, Calloway Maverick Max, Cobra Speedzone and Mizuno Hot Metal JPX 921.  Like them all, no one really stands out as my favorite.  Any suggestions from folks who are currently hitting any of these?

Those are great options, but I'd also through in the PING's as well if you're in the market for a GI type club.  They also have some tremendous middle of the road type options.  Depends on the optics you like in a club.  Big, small, offset, etc.  

I'd probably offer to try the new PING option in addition to the above. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Try the Sub 70's as well.  Heard nothing but good things with those.  My neighbor just got fit for the Mizuno hot metal. He's about an 18 HDCP. His other option were the Callaway Maverick. Mizuno's felt better to him, and he said he gained 30 yards on his 7 iron according to the shot tracker they use at Golf Tec.  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

10 hours ago, Muchael said:

In the market for new irons.  15 handicap.  Tried Calloway Maverick, Calloway Maverick Max, Cobra Speedzone and Mizuno Hot Metal JPX 921.  Like them all, no one really stands out as my favorite.  Any suggestions from folks who are currently hitting any of these?

I bought the maverick irons about 2 months ago and personally I think they are a good fit, they are consistent and they feel good on your hands at impact,  however I typically have a right to left(slight draw) on my shots(previous irons) and the bigger offset on these seems to really exaggerate that into a hook. I did try the ping g425 irons today and it's back to that beautiful shot shape I was looking for. Mavericks did seem to be pretty consistent but didn't mix well with the other clubs in my bag. Hope this helps!

Ping 410 3 wood

Nike sq 5 wood

Mavrik irons

Callaway wedges

Scotty putter

If I was buying now, I would be looking at a mix set of Mizunos. JPX921 Forged 3-7 and MP20 8-AW. Gives you the best of both world - forgiving where you need it 3-7 irons and feel for you approach shots.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

It will depend on your typical miss and current ball flight, but I voted for Maverick Max because they are more forgiving of mis-hits than any iron I have ever played. I’ve never hit the Cobras. Getting the right shaft is huge. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I would look at the new Srixon ZX5 line too....Srixon irons have rated very high on the MGS Most Wanted list for the past several years even being ranked 1st one year. I hear the new model may be their best yet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have the JPX hot metals. They are forgiving yes but come off similar to a forged iron. Great distance. Quality of the irons is wonderful. I don’t think they are just a game improvement, I think you could get into mid players distance. True old timers won’t love them because they are a little bigger but at the end of the day it is all about scores and having a good time. My new irons accomplish both of those

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 1/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, Muchael said:

The poll is missing the correct answer...

Spoiler

No... it's not what you guys think I was going to say 😆.  It's the one paired with the optimum shaft that is determined from a quality fitting...

Spoiler

which will likely be a PING 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’m a total Mizuno fanboy and voted JPX921 Hot Metals. But the PING G425 irons would be on my short list too (before Calloway or Cobra).

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I just got fitted for 921 hot metal pro. To me they just felt the best. Not quite forged but a very soft feel that can grow on me. The maverick irons felt very clicky to me and didn’t enjoy the sound when striking a ball.

There are 2 other irons I highly highly rate and would recommend considering in your list and that is the titleist t300 and the sub70 699 irons. both had amazing performance for me and great pricing on them as well. If you are getting fit expect a lead time of 30-60 days. I’ve been waiting on my mizuno for 6 weeks now and they won’t be shipped until the ends of next week. Happy shopping!

Is there a forgiving iron design (slightly oversized, somewhat wider sole, pre-worn front edge), but without a hot, thin, trampoline face?

I want some forgiveness without the odd chance of launching a ball too far. I'd rather my miss be a little short with some feedback from the club than long ever.

The clubs I have been looking at are Maltby KE4 Tour+ & PTM, Ping i500, and Cobra Forged but there might be others I am looking for?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Would also check out the latest Wilson Staff Irons, the reviews on them are extremely positive.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001