TESTERS WANTED! ×

Online handicap service or use local club?

Good afternoon. I'm newer to playing more consistently (since early October or so) and would like to keep an official handicap more so to have an not lose information as I try to get better than use in tournaments (although maybe one day!). Currently I'm just tracking rounds using 18birdies which gives me an unofficial handicap but I'd rather have a place where it won't get wiped if I switch to a different app. I'm not a member at a local club and can't really afford to join one. I was looking at just doing online only handicap or if it would be better to go through a local golf club. If I do club, would it make a difference in going through closest club to my house or the one I play most regularly, which is a little further? Appreciate it.

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Good afternoon. I'm newer to playing more consistently (since early October or so) and would like to keep an official handicap more so to have an not lose information as I try to get better than use in tournaments (although maybe one day!). Currently I'm just tracking rounds using 18birdies which gives me an unofficial handicap but I'd rather have a place where it won't get wiped if I switch to a different app. I'm not a member at a local club and can't really afford to join one. I was looking at just doing online only handicap or if it would be better to go through a local golf club. If I do club, would it make a difference in going through closest club to my house or the one I play most regularly, which is a little further? Appreciate it.
The USGA fee will be the same at either club. I don't think the club itself matters unless you're playing tournaments. And the USGA will assign that course as your home course, so there is the small detail that you post a score as home or away. But if your just tracking for your own benefit and progress none of that matters.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Those are both very helpful thank you. If there's anyone local to VA it seemed at least looking at VSGA website that doing it through eclub also included the VA VIP card which included deals at some courses as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that.

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

You could use The Grint, they have a free membership that includes official USGA handicapping.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I don’t belong to a local course anymore, I recently joined an online chapter of the USGA and I get my handicap that way.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

If you use your local club, you can then download the GHIN app and post your scores on your phone.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you play a local course regularly you might be able to pay them just for the handicap and get a GHIN number

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 1/15/2021 at 1:45 PM, Curtis Atkinson said:

My local course offers GHIN handicaps for $25/year. The Louisiana Golf Association is the official source, so any public course here can offer it if they want. Check with the public courses, or at worst, call your State Golf Association.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I generally recommend that you join through a golf course near to you, and the one you play most is probably the best choice.  The biggest advantage is that when you join through a VSGA club, you'll be assigned a number in GHIN (the USGA computational service) that will remain yours for as long as you choose to play, wherever you go within the USGA jurisdiction.  You're in Purcellville, where do you generally play?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

37 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

If you use your local club, you can then download the GHIN app and post your scores on your phone.

Is that in the format of an electronic scorecard, gross score, ??  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Is that in the format of an electronic scorecard, gross score, ??  
You can post overall gross score or hole-by-hole. Though I believe if you post gross, you don't receive the equitable stroke adjustment.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

1 minute ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

You can post overall gross score or hole-by-hole. Though I believe if you post gross, you don't receive the equitable stroke adjustment.

Take Dead Aim

A good portion of my year is in Montana and I play a lot of solo rounds, pretty much split between two courses.  How does the old "attest" score work?

40 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I generally recommend that you join through a golf course near to you, and the one you play most is probably the best choice.  The biggest advantage is that when you join through a VSGA club, you'll be assigned a number in GHIN (the USGA computational service) that will remain yours for as long as you choose to play, wherever you go within the USGA jurisdiction.  You're in Purcellville, where do you generally play?

Yeah definitely looking for something that will stay with me which was why the VSGA eClub seemed like a good option because it includes GHIN and the VIP card for deals at VA courses. Yes I live in Purcellville but have been playing mostly a handful of courses out in Front Royal since they're a little more on the affordable side for me. Played the most at Bowling Green North out there. 

A good portion of my year is in Montana and I play a lot of solo rounds, pretty much split between two courses.  How does the old "attest" score work?
A few years back the USGA said players could no longer post solo rounds for handicap purposes. But I'm in your boat where 80% of my rounds are solo. So I post them anyway. I think it was a bad decision by the USGA to maybe this change, golf is a game of honor after all.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

3 hours ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

Yeah definitely looking for something that will stay with me which was why the VSGA eClub seemed like a good option because it includes GHIN and the VIP card for deals at VA courses. Yes I live in Purcellville but have been playing mostly a handful of courses out in Front Royal since they're a little more on the affordable side for me. Played the most at Bowling Green North out there. 

I suggest you look at getting a handicap through Bowling Green, or another course you play regularly.  Usually the Handicap Fee is in the range or $30 to $40, depending on the course.  I see the eClub fee is $99, and includes the VIP card ($65 on its own).  Choose whichever is best for you.  

1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

A few years back the USGA said players could no longer post solo rounds for handicap purposes. But I'm in your boat where 80% of my rounds are solo. So I post them anyway. I think it was a bad decision by the USGA to maybe this change, golf is a game of honor after all.

The change was made in 2016, and I have been told that this small change was one of the first moves bringing our handicap system closer to the rest of the world.  It was the precursor to the 2020 WHS.  Golf is indeed a game of honor.  It is honorable to choose to play the game in accordance with the Rules of Golf, even when nobody is watching.  It is also honorable to POST your scores in accordance with the Rules of Handicapping, even when nobody is watching.  The change was not at all about honor, it was about the beginnings of global unification of handicap systems.  Making up your own rules does show something about honor.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The change was made in 2016, and I have been told that this small change was one of the first moves bringing our handicap system closer to the rest of the world.  It was the precursor to the 2020 WHS.  Golf is indeed a game of honor.  It is honorable to choose to play the game in accordance with the Rules of Golf, even when nobody is watching.  It is also honorable to POST your scores in accordance with the Rules of Handicapping, even when nobody is watching.  The change was not at all about honor, it was about the beginnings of global unification of handicap systems.  Making up your own rules does show something about honor.

This reply reaffirms why I don't keep a formal USGA handicap.  Regardless of a USGA or global system, it simply leaves a population of the golfing community out due to their particular play conditions. Maybe when we relocate to AZ and I get in a league, I'll reconsider. So, I maintain an Excel spreadsheet that uses the same method of calculation.  Most events I have participated in (I don't that often) use the honor system anyway and do not require a formal handicap. 

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I suggest you look at getting a handicap through Bowling Green, or another course you play regularly.  Usually the Handicap Fee is in the range or $30 to $40, depending on the course.  I see the eClub fee is $99, and includes the VIP card ($65 on its own).  Choose whichever is best for you.  

All this has been really helpful. As a newbie, and playing most of the time with guys who aren't going to get any sort of handicap, how does this method go about being attested to by guys I'm playing with. I've seen that you can input scores online via website/app but noticed on Grint and such that I could input email address for it to be sent to people I played with even if they didn't have a Grint account. How does that work with GHIN?

This reply reaffirms why I don't keep a formal USGA handicap.  Regardless of a USGA or global system, it simply leaves a population of the golfing community out due to their particular play conditions. Maybe when we relocate to AZ and I get in a league, I'll reconsider. So, I maintain an Excel spreadsheet that uses the same method of calculation.  Most events I have participated in (I don't that often) use the honor system anyway and do not require a formal handicap. 
Agreed. The USGA doesn't give two craps about public course golfers.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

17 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Take Dead Aim

Well, I'm not thinking it is so much a matter of public course vs. private or otherwise as it is the belief that unattested rounds are suspect. We live in a very rural area and have a very small population of golfers.  I'm retired and choose to play during the week to take advantage of even less crowds.  Playing solo easily makes up 60% of my rounds in MT and a good many of those I'm able to play a two ball format all or part of the hole... so that's my upside.  If their was a system that would allow unattested rounds, I'd consider it at present time.  Until then, I'll keep my own.

50 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Any system will have to leave someone out, in order to be effective, I just don't believe there's a one-size-fits-all solution.  To me, this is exactly the right way to treat solo rounds, and for those who don't want or need an official handicap.

40 minutes ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

All this has been really helpful. As a newbie, and playing most of the time with guys who aren't going to get any sort of handicap, how does this method go about being attested to by guys I'm playing with. I've seen that you can input scores online via website/app but noticed on Grint and such that I could input email address for it to be sent to people I played with even if they didn't have a Grint account. How does that work with GHIN?

There has never been any requirement within the USGA Handicap system, or in the current USGA version of the WHS, to have scores attested.  You simply post your score, via a computer at the course, or through your phone, or through the GHIN website.  VSGA also has an app through which you can post scores to your handicap.  If I had my preference, the USGA would add requirements for pre-round registration for handicap rounds, and for post-round attestation.  Who knows, maybe future revisions will take us in that direction.

27 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I see @fixyurdivot's response, and I understand his problems living in a rural area.  But to me that seems like a rarity, it seems really rare in the metro DC area for anyone to have the opportunity to play many solo rounds.  The courses just aren't ever empty enough.  But I agree with @fixyurdivot in that this isn't a bias against public courses.  And I know its way beyond the scope of this topic, but I think elimination of solo rounds for handicap purposes makes perfect sense.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 1/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, Curtis Atkinson said:

Those are both very helpful thank you. If there's anyone local to VA it seemed at least looking at VSGA website that doing it through eclub also included the VA VIP card which included deals at some courses as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that.

I lived in Leesburg, VA back in the early 2000's and had good experiences with both the VSGA and their VIP card.

The past few years I have maintained a handicap through the FSGA's online handicap account, and it's the same as what you would get if you belonged to a local club, and it's identical through the GHIN mobile app and website, etc.  I would imagine that the VSGA setup is the same as here in Florida via the FSGA.

I've belong to a club in Georgia, and opted to move my GHIN account through my local club, and the only difference now is that my GHIN is maintained through the GSGA.  I had a login issue when they converted my account over to my local club, and the GSGA was the contact that fixed my problem, and it had no involvement by my local club.

So essentially, even if you had your GHIN handicap with a local club, you'd still be dealing with the VSGA if you had issues with scores or postings, or whatever with your GHIN account.  The entire USGA GHIN networked is maintained by state golf associations, depending on which state you live in.

Hope this helps.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

There has never been any requirement within the USGA Handicap system, or in the current USGA version of the WHS, to have scores attested.  You simply post your score, via a computer at the course, or through your phone, or through the GHIN website.  VSGA also has an app through which you can post scores to your handicap.

So think about this for a moment.  If there is no requirement to have scores attested, then what is the difference whether I play solo, as a twosome, or a fivesome?  It seems to me that, at the core of your stated preference, is that golfers are dishonest.  How does the current system change this and why does who one plays a round with or not change this?  I've played with complete strangers who could give two chits about their score or mine... and sign a card without a second look.  You must have experienced quite a bit of sandbaganitis in your circles 🙂.

So think about this for a moment.  If there is no requirement to have scores attested, then what is the difference whether I play solo, as a twosome, or a fivesome?  It seems to me that, at the core of your stated preference, is that golfers are dishonest.  How does the current system change this and why does who one plays a round with or not change this?  I've played with complete strangers who could give two chits about their score or mine... and sign a card without a second look.  You must have experienced quite a bit of sandbaganitis in your circles .
This is among the lines of what I was implying with the USGA not giving a crap. It seems they have an assumption that players have access to a club/body/committee that will review and uphold scores. Or at least an association where there's always a match and 3 other guys to play with. I agree with your scenario that there's essentially no difference in playing solo and getting paired with a rando at the local muni. They don't care about me, and I don't care about them. I am allowed to post this score but not the one alone.

I don't live in a rural area, but because of family and job, I play at sunup on weekends as I can't afford to be out there for 5-6 hours like can happen. It's tough to find partners for 6AM tee times.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

19 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So think about this for a moment.  If there is no requirement to have scores attested, then what is the difference whether I play solo, as a twosome, or a fivesome?  It seems to me that, at the core of your stated preference, is that golfers are dishonest.  How does the current system change this and why does who one plays a round with or not change this?  I've played with complete strangers who could give two chits about their score or mine... and sign a card without a second look.  You must have experienced quite a bit of sandbaganitis in your circles 🙂.

I don't want to take this thread further from its original topic, so I'm going to start a new thread under the Rules section:

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 1/17/2021 at 10:39 AM, Tsmithjr9 said:

Take Dead Aim

There are three GHIN options; hole by hole, hole by hole with stats and total score. For the stats option it's FIR (including misses - L,R, Short, Long), GIR and Putts. All info is entered as a gross score whether by hole or total.  GHIN will make adjustments to net if hole by hole or hole by hole with stats option is utilized. As an example in my case with a 18.7 index, the net works out to 1 + 2. So on a Par 5 anything over an eight gets recorded as an 8. 

Also for those of you using GHIN, if you haven't gotten an email from USGA, they are now setting up password protection. Go online or sent a message from the app for more info.   

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

Also for those of you using GHIN, if you haven't gotten an email from USGA, they are now setting up password protection. Go online or sent a message from the app for more info. 

One thing with the changes for GHIN log-in, you need to have an email already in the system in order to set up your "Digital Account" or whatever the new term is.  If you don't have one, you'll need to contact your handicap administer to get your email added before you can take the next step.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

One thing with the changes for GHIN log-in, you need to have an email already in the system in order to set up your "Digital Account" or whatever the new term is.  If you don't have one, you'll need to contact your handicap administer to get your email added before you can take the next step.  

That is correct. My wife didn't have an email in the system - so she sent a message via the app under the 'contact us' portion and got an almost immediate response. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

There are three GHIN options; hole by hole, hole by hole with stats and total score. For the stats option it's FIR (including misses - L,R, Short, Long), GIR and Putts. All info is entered as a gross score whether by hole or total.  GHIN will make adjustments to net if hole by hole or hole by hole with stats option is utilized. As an example in my case with a 18.7 index, the net works out to 1 + 2. So on a Par 5 anything over an eight gets recorded as an 8. 
That's cool the app allows stat tracking now. I had a second app on my phone. Though I didn't track last year, and let my GHIN be inactive. I didn't expect to play as much golf as I ended up.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Really appreciate all the help. Sounds like best option is just to join through local club to be able to have GHIN access online and anything I need. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy