Jump to content

Cobra King Tour MIM Irons


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Another great reviews with great info!

Cobra is definitely an under-appreciated brand for irons ... several years back I'd walked into a PGATSS to demo a few different GI irons and remember asking about one of the Cobra models .. the store rep basically just said, "nah". After that day I later ended up with a set of King OS irons - which I really liked and still wish I had hung on to....

  • Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Another great reviews with great info!

Cobra is definitely an under-appreciated brand for irons ... several years back I'd walked into a PGATSS to demo a few different GI irons and remember asking about one of the Cobra models .. the store rep basically just said, "nah". After that day I later ended up with a set of King OS irons - which I really liked and still wish I had hung on to....

 

... Thanks. When the Amp Forged irons were first released many thought the bright orange badging was just too loud for a players iron, myself included. Then I hit them on Demo Day and decided performance trumps cavity aesthetics that you can't see and they looked awesome at address. I replaced my original AP2's and never looked back. A little too loud and clashed with my bag colors but as always, after a few months I didn't even notice. 

  • Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for a great review, though I already looked them so this is not helping my temptation to buy them. I enjoy my i500s but have been thinking of moving into a bit more players offering but still some forgiveness which these sound to hit that sweet spot. Glad you enjoy them.

  • Like 3

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff. How do they compare to your t100s?

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Great stuff. How do they compare to your t100s?

 

... Give me 10 golfers in the players iron market and I have a feeling 5 would choose the T100s and 5 would chose the MIM's. The T100s have a smaller looking head profile, a thinner top line and get through the turf better than any irons I have played. The MIM's have a slightly larger head profile, get through the ground very nicely, have not quite as thin a top line but are a littler more forgiving and a hair longer, although the 950GH might be responsible for the distance as I not comparing apples to apples with the shafts. And the MIM's feels awesome once you get used to them. I really love them both. 

  • Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... Thanks. When the Amp Forged irons were first released many thought the bright orange badging was just too loud for a players iron, myself included. Then I hit them on Demo Day and decided performance trumps cavity aesthetics that you can't see and they looked awesome at address. I replaced my original AP2's and never looked back. A little too loud and clashed with my bag colors but as always, after a few months I didn't even notice. 

How do the King Tour compare to the Amp Forged size wise?

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great, thorough review. Great job@chisag!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, casey_0507 said:

How do the King Tour compare to the Amp Forged size wise?

 

... I don't have a set to compare, but my educated guess is virtually identical. 

  • Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... I don't have a set to compare, but my educated guess is virtually identical. 

That is my hope. Really is the perfect shape /size

  • Like 2

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Great review @chisag! I had been curious to see if these overtook the T100s for you. I definitely plan to give them another look as I continue my 2021 quest to find my perfect next set of irons.

If you could combine the look & performance of the MIMs with the feel of Forged Tour, would you? Or has the MIM grown on you enough that you prefer its feel over the Forged Tour?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

Great review @chisag! I had been curious to see if these overtook the T100s for you. I definitely plan to give them another look as I continue my 2021 quest to find my perfect next set of irons.

If you could combine the look & performance of the MIMs with the feel of Forged Tour, would you? Or has the MIM grown on you enough that you prefer its feel over the Forged Tour?

 

... For me it is kinda like having 2 deserts at a fine restaurant. I taste the Cheesecake with Blackberries and think it is just insanely good. Then I taste my wife's Flourless Chocolate Cake with whip cream made from scratch and think it is also insanely good. They are both lightly sweet deserts that are the same but different. That is how I feel about the forged vs MIM comparison. There is a synergy of course when a combination of looks, performance and forgiveness enhance the sound/feel and the MIM's do just that. As I said in the review I was not a big fan my first round but as I got used to the different feel and enjoyed the performance I grew to love MIM. When you hit the MIM dead center they have a very dense almost persimmon like feel where forged have that melt into the metal face feel. So all things considered and forced to compare, I do prefer the feel of MIM over Forged but by the very slimmest of subjective margins. 

  • Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... For me it is kinda like having 2 deserts at a fine restaurant. I taste the Cheesecake with Blackberries and think it is just insanely good. Then I taste my wife's Flourless Chocolate Cake with whip cream made from scratch and think it is also insanely good. They are both lightly sweet deserts that are the same but different. That is how I feel about the forged vs MIM comparison. There is a synergy of course when a combination of looks, performance and forgiveness enhance the sound/feel and the MIM's do just that. As I said in the review I was not a big fan my first round but as I got used to the different feel and enjoyed the performance I grew to love MIM. When you hit the MIM dead center they have a very dense almost persimmon like feel where forged have that melt into the metal face feel. So all things considered and forced to compare, I do prefer the feel of MIM over Forged but by the very slimmest of subjective margins. 

I want cake now 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @chisag, were you able to customize the set outside of shafts?  I've looked longingly at these irons both on Cobra's website and Global Golf and both would leave me with a club in my bag that I don't want.  I would be either stuck with a 4 iron I can't hit or a gap wedge that I don't want.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

              Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AmishJason said:

Hey @chisag, were you able to customize the set outside of shafts?  I've looked longingly at these irons both on Cobra's website and Global Golf and both would leave me with a club in my bag that I don't want.  I would be either stuck with a 4 iron I can't hit or a gap wedge that I don't want.  

 

... I think quite a few options were available but I wanted to review a set as close to stock as possible. But you can order them anyway you like. One iron at a time, although several irons are on back order at the moment, a good sign of their success. You can always check out custom options by going to TGW and clicking the Enter Custom Specs. TGW is very good at showing what options the OEMs offer. 

  • Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... I think quite a few options were available but I wanted to review a set as close to stock as possible. But you can order them anyway you like. One iron at a time, although several irons are on back order at the moment, a good sign of their success. You can always check out custom options by going to TGW and clicking the Enter Custom Specs. TGW is very good at showing what options the OEMs offer. 

Thank you.  And thank you for another good review.  As much as I like data based reviews that contain near overloads of numbers, a well written review from someone just having the clubs in their hands and talking about the intangibles is very refreshing.

  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

              Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

... After playing them almost 4 months now, I wanted to do a quick follow up on my King Tour Irons. These irons just kept getting better and better. I think we all know Players Irons are almost just a matter of preference as they are all very, very good. As much as I enjoyed the smaller headed T100-S, and I enjoyed them very much, the MIM Tours are just the perfect size for me eye. Thin toppling, very little offset and a mid size head that gives me the best combination of forgiveness and playability. I posted elsewhere I shot a 67, one year under my age and the MIM's were responsible for 5 birdies tracking accessible flags all day, and to be honest 2 of them I should not have aimed for but I was feeling like I could not miss and went right at them. 

... Having played many more rounds now, the feel is just so addicting. Dense like an old school muscle back blade with a ton of weight behind the hitting area. Misses just away from the center do not feel quite so perfect and a miss 1/2 from the center on the toe really feels like you had bad contact, but the shot suffers very little. The forgiveness is fine of the things I love most about these irons and the feedback of missing them a little is a quality I very much enjoy. Irons like the P760's and P790's feel almost the same when you miss them 1/2 to the toe. I am reminded of Ben Hogan that said he hits 1 maybe 2 shots a round exactly like he wanted so getting that nirvana feeling of a perfectly struck shot should be something that only happens several times a round. I have heard some say these irons are not as soft as advertised and I believe that is because they are not hitting them dec center, because that feel is as soft and dense as it gets, but again missing them a little has a different feel. You have to get further than 1/2 away from the center for them to actually feel harsh, but the feel is not quite as soft as when missed a little. 

... The MIM Tours are a little longer than most Players Irons for me. Not P790 long but a few yards longer than most I have played. I have had some low rounds with the T100-S and on those days they were just as accurate as the MIM's but on the days when my swing is not spot on, the Cobra's are more forgiving of both distance and direction. There is a reason the T100/T100-S are played by so many on all Pro Golf Tours as I think they are really a forgiving MB style of club but for those of us not at elite ball striking level, the added forgiveness of the Cobra's can be a game changer. I would also add I think the Nippon 950GH in my MIM's is a better fit for me than the Steelfiber 95's in my T100-S so not an apples to apples comparison. I don't want to leave the impression that the MIM Tours are superior irons to say Srixon ZX7's, Taylor Made P7MC's, Titleist T00's or even Wilson Staff CB's because give me 20 low index players and every one of those irons will be chosen as best. But for me, the MIM Tour irons are the best combination of everything I want and need in an iron and if you are in the market, these Players Irons are an absolute must demo. 

... For fun, I removed the paint fill from my 4 iron and when asking for opinions the response has been about 25% like the look while 75% prefer the original paint fill. 


605595542_CobraKingPaintfill.jpg.e40a62ec8272aa27654960b10dd1f1ef.jpg

  • Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I read one of your reviews, it makes me want to buy them as well lol 

The Fly Z+ were legit, too bad I found them when they were already phased out and not many options to choose.

Now about the looks, would you prefer a matte finish and no badge?

 

 

 

 

 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

Every time I read one of your reviews, it makes me want to buy them as well lol 

The Fly Z+ were legit, too bad I found them when they were already phased out and not many options to choose.

Now about the looks, would you prefer a matte finish and no badge?

 

... Being old school I actually prefer the shiny chrome. And the badge serves a purpose so I rally don't care how it looks. Like many others I love a very clean look on an iron but I would compare it to my underwear. As much as I love a certain look and style I don't see them so comfort is my main concern and I would wear purple Barney panties if they were the most comfortable. 🤪  If my irons look great at address and perform for me, that is my only concern. A clean cavity is just icing on the cake but so very rare in 2021. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...